Toying with my emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I went to an Avail store today to buy some more Pandoras box in a 6 strength. It's a nice sweet grape-ish flavor that's great after meals. Anyway the kid says "have you heard that in the next 15 to 45 days Donald Trump may ban flavors?" I responded "Naw, really, again?"
He advised me to stock up now while I can.

I just smiled and thanked him for the advice.

Worse comes to worse I'll just switch back to Black Note Prelude.That is a really nice, smooth 50/50 juice that tastes just like my favorite brand of local brand of cigarettes that went out of business last year. Also makes for a great mixer.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hurricane in Alabama
Ah. That. Makes good comedy I guess. I tend to pay more attention to trumps actions than his words. I consider the stuff that comes out of his mouth to be more or less random. I look at what he does or has done. It tends to be very different.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I was referring to the video I had just linked to of a shop owners testomony to save vape flavors.
It could be inferredThe man seems to prefer watching television as his preferred method of gathering due to his sometimes slavish following of FOX news so you might have a shot. It doesn’t seem to be up to general standards though. Maybe if the old guy was a hot chick...

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I always cross check through several sources. If they all agree, there's half a chance they're right.

Two things. First you have to check if there is any relation to those sources. Nearly all media sources are controlled by just 5 or 6 total conglomerates. If they are all owned by the same conglomerate then that is not agreement, it is the same source. If they are not all owned by the same conglomerate and they all agree, you then have to wonder if they are colluding in order to convince you of something. You really almost have to have agreement from multiple international sources at this point to even begin believing anything they say.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Let's not forget, even if nothing happens with this flavor ban on the national level, cities and states are flinging poop at us from all directions, and the PMTA deadline is just less under eight months from now.

If you're not ready yet, get busy!
I'm ready

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Two things. First you have to check if there is any relation to those sources. Nearly all media sources are controlled by just 5 or 6 total conglomerates. If they are all owned by the same conglomerate then that is not agreement, it is the same source.
Sort of. Sometimes. It’s the same owner. The problem here is the definition of “source”. In the case on news the “source” is where the information came from, not the format the information comes in or the money that backs it. Traditionally actual news should come from multiple sources, otherwise it’s “this person said this thing” not “this thing happened”.
One of the problems with modern news is the amount of time journalists have to check the veracity of sources is dramatically compressed and it is much easier for a single source to masquerade as multiple sources, for unreliable sources to look like reliable ones, and for opinion and propaganda to masquerade as fact. Another problem amongst many is it’s also much more possible for propagandists to masquerade as either journalists or sources of information.
If they are not all owned by the same conglomerate and they all agree, you then have to wonder if they are colluding in order to convince you of something.
or they are all using the same sources. That’s the “news” version of source not the one you presented. The whole “you’ve got to wonder” thing is classic conspiracy theory. Now if the sources are all the same then one needs to look at them.
You really almost have to have agreement from multiple international sources at this point to even begin believing anything they say.
“They”? Sources or conglomerates? 5 or 6 is much fewer than I’d like but it’s more than the 3 or less where competition starts to be truly stifled and conspiracy starts to become merely agreements.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Sort of. Sometimes. It’s the same owner. The problem here is the definition of “source”. In the case on news the “source” is where the information came from, not the format the information comes in or the money that backs it. Traditionally actual news should come from multiple sources, otherwise it’s “this person said this thing” not “this thing happened”.
One of the problems with modern news is the amount of time journalists have to check the veracity of sources is dramatically compressed and it is much easier for a single source to masquerade as multiple sources, for unreliable sources to look like reliable ones, and for opinion and propaganda to masquerade as fact. Another problem amongst many is it’s also much more possible for propagandists to masquerade as either journalists or sources of information.
or they are all using the same sources. That’s the “news” version of source not the one you presented. The whole “you’ve got to wonder” thing is classic conspiracy theory. Now if the sources are all the same then one needs to look at them.

“They”? Sources or conglomerates? 5 or 6 is much fewer than I’d like but it’s more than the 3 or less where competition starts to be truly stifled and conspiracy starts to become merely agreements.

In the case of vaping, the "source" is usually a "study" or some nonsense a politician said. However different media companies may interpret that differently but all of that particular company's outlets usually spin it the same way.

Of course I understand media companies don't have time to verify their sources anymore. In fact for many of them their true "source" is just someone else's already published article.

Take a look at this excerpt from a post I made a bit over a year ago.

The internet brought in the possibility of 'instant" news. News stories could for the first time be written or filmed and published immediately for consumption. This made news a race to be first. No more time to verify sources, and check facts, if something is seen, heard or filmed it has to get pushed as fast as possible with the most exaggerated headline possible to generate as many "clicks" as possible. If you break the story second or third, too many people may have already heard about it and you lose out on click revenue. With no time to gather facts and write detailed factual stories, what you get today is usually 1 small unverified fact, with lots of opinion around and about it, and a bunch of copy/paste twitter responses to the supposed fact, and they call that "news".

What we are left with is mostly opinion pieces from only a handful of companies with very little fact being reported by anyone, and exaggerated in ways to generate the most views, the most clicks, the most revenue. Sensationalist opinion is what is selling, dull unadulterated truth is not.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I never quite know what to make of Trump he's such a fascinating dude in so many ways, but yeah what he says/does are very different and I cannot decide if it is an actual strategy or he's just like got ADHD and says whatever the hell pops into his head because he hates medicine etc.

Like, maybe it's a side effect of not enough METHYLamphedemate usage. I sort of relate to Trump at times. Like, not WHAT he is saying, but some of just the sheer blather of word salad that exits his mouth sometimes. I've been there. Like one time, (pre-diagnosis) I put this GIGANTIC vat of well it was sort of a small bowl at the bottom and gigantic at the top and it was full of some caramel/pecan concoction that I balanced carefully on top of a vat of peanut butter. It wasn't sealed (other than cling wrap) and well, it worked for ME but not so much for the husband. He wasn't too happy to encounter it, as it were. LOL. I still remember the yell...

But it made perfect sense to me at the time! Trump's kind of like that.

I in no way relate to Trump's PHYSICAL personhood. I in NO WAY can emphasize that enough....

Probably New York paid him money to give the speech so they could be the WORST FIRST state again... They were feeling neglected, dude.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread