Not open for further replies.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
What I want to know is if an MVP is better than my Vamo? What's so special about it?

I don't have a Vamo, so can't tell you about that, but the MVP2 battery lasts a LONG LONG time... it's bigger than the Provari. But... I've had my MVP2 since Sept, and I must vape a lot because the battery is already starting to go. The day I got it, it lasted 4 days, and it's all I vaped on. 2 months later, it's down to less than 1 day before I have to recharge it... and I'm alternating it with TWO Provari. Meaning, it's dying already. I'm probably letting it drain too far before I recharge tho.

There's no way to change the battery... so for my useage (and I am going through about 10ml of 18mg nic juice a day), if I have to throw a MVP2 out every 3 months, and the Provari only needs replacement batteries once every 2 years, a Provari is MUCH cheaper (because the MVP2 originally cost me $58 x 4 = $232 x 2 years = $464). And that's for a more powerful and consistent vape every single day.

That, and the aftermarket for Provari means that after you use it every day for a year, you can still sell it in the Classies or Ebay for $20-$40 less than you paid for it. While a used MVP2 is worth nothing, because you can't replace the battery. So you lose money replacing MVP2's.

That said, I am expecting another MVP2... because even if I have to throw one out every 3 months, I still like the first month's battery life:). As for the VV/VW... I don't use them enough to even notice the functions. I just leave it at 4.0 for everything, and I can't tell the difference in use between the MVP2 and my Ego-Twist, except the battery lasts a LOT longer on the MVP2. That, and it really is very comfortable to hold and tote around.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
But if I charged my phone wouldn't that shorten my vape time? By how much? I need figures! I wouldn't use it to charge my phone at home, so that means I would use it when I was out. How long would it last after charging my phone? How could I charge my MVP when I was out? I would rather vape than talk on the phone.

Well, the neat thing about the MVP2 is if you have 1 charger, you can charge your MVP2, plug the charger from the MVP2 into your cellphone (or laptop), charge both, and vape at the same time (while tangling yourself in both wires)... because the MVP2 will vape while charging too:).

The downside is, with only 1 battery, if the battery goes bad, the whole unit goes in the trash:(.

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
I have never seen the allure of charging my phone with my MVP. To me its useless, or something I might use extremely rarely if ever.

If I need to charge my phone with it, then I need the cable. Well, if I could bring the charging cable with me, would have brought my cell phone charger. In other words, if I'm stranded without cell power, I usually have my bag with my MVP charger and cell charger in it b

Sent from my Nokia 1520 using Tapatalk

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
But if I charged my phone wouldn't that shorten my vape time? By how much? I need figures! I wouldn't use it to charge my phone at home, so that means I would use it when I was out. How long would it last after charging my phone? How could I charge my MVP when I was out? I would rather vape than talk on the phone.

Yes it will shorten your vape time. However, what if you run out of juice and need to make an emergency phone call for the beeper man with the juice and your phone is dead? Or, what if your BFF is with you and her VV V3 runs out of power? Are you going to buddy breath like a stricken scuba diver? No Mam! You simply hook her up to the mvp in pass through mode and both vape away!

a41a990d-d7f5-489c-9736-a45389019b24_zpsc48a4383.jpg

-----------------

Even after warranty expiration, Provape provides lifetime repair service for reasonable pre-determined fees. Does your mod's manufacturer offer that?

After Warranty Standard Service Repair Costs:

Replace Window and screws- $10.00
Replace Circuit Board - $65.00
Upgrade to V2 - $20.00
Replace plastic pushbutton - $5.00
Repairs to the circuit board - $25.00
Cleaning - $20.00
Replace top cap - $15.00
Broken Cartomizer Service - $10.00
Return shipping within the USA - $5.00

No my mod dosn't offer $20.00 cleanings because a brand spanking new MVP is 39.99 delivered in two days.
I really can't believer that you are quoting a $20 (+ship.) cleaning of a device as an advantage over a device that cost $40.00 new. :)

Not at BA but to all "those" Provari owners out there:

I am not a Provari hater by any means and although it I don't own one I recognize it is a very high quality device. However, there are devices out there that can do all the same and more, have the same quality build, and cost much less money. Telling people they must buy a Prothingi in order to have a satisfactory device is just plain arrogance in my opinion. If you have the money and like the device I don't see how you can go wrong with a Provari but, to the Provinatzi out there, please stop telling us your poo doesn't stink and all ours does because you are dead wrong and it makes you look like a......

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Stick a Vivi Nova or a carto on the MPV2 and move the same one to a Provari and the difference is pretty huge. Protank 2's stink on either one for me... can't taste a thing on anything I put it on, Ego-C or Provari, so I can easily see why no one would notice a difference with them. But that's with bought heads. People who rebuild their own ProTank heads seem to notice more than the sucking air I do.
I was actually thinking along the same lines. Although preferences in clearomizers will vary from individual to individual, making taste tests using a Protank clearomizer as a flavor tester is IMHO one of the worst you could choose. The only clearomizer that comes close to a cartomizer/cartotank is the iClear 30. I've used both the Protank 1 & 2 and their flavor production is subpar at best with many flavors.

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: don't go there

jwj63

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2013
NC, CA, Thailand
I've had my Provari for a while now. I got it because a lot of people said it was nice. I like it, a lot. Will I buy a second one? Yes. Will it be the next mod I buy? No. The next one will be a GP PAPS X with a kick. Why? Because I like the way it looks and people who own it have related their experience in an intelligent way.

OK. Why does any of this matter to anyone? It doesn't unless you are like me a while back and have zero clue about all of this stuff. I went looking for things that are well regarded and the experiences of their owners were presented in a thoughtful and intelligent way. If you can't separate the hype from the substance then I'm sorry but I have nothing to offer for you.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
No my mod dosn't offer $20.00 cleanings because a brand spanking new MVP is 39.99 delivered in two days.
I really can't believer that you are quoting a $20 (+ship.) cleaning of a device as an advantage over a device that cost $40.00 new.

I am not a Provari hater by any means and although it I don't own one I recognize it is a very high quality device. However, there are devices out there that can do all the same and more, have the same quality build, and cost much less money. Telling people they must buy a Prothingi in order to have a satisfactory device is just plain arrogance in my opinion. If you have the money and like the device I don't see how you can go wrong with a Provari but, to the Provinatzi out there, please stop telling us your poo doesn't stink and all ours does because you are dead wrong and it makes you look like a......
You totally are missing the point. I saw no one in this thread telling anyone that they must buy a Provari in order to have a satisfactory device. If anyone is making an arrogant statement it is you, as you do not own a Provari and therefore can not judge what it is like to own a Provari nor judge its build or quality.

Perhaps your "standards" in judging a "quality build" is different from mine and others, but making the statement that there are devices with the same quality build as a Provari and cost much less money is rather...uhm, I'll respectfully refrain from using the politically incorrect word here to avoid any warnings from a moderator.

I also have not seen any Provari owners here making any reference that if you don't own a Provari then you can't possibly enjoy vaping. Many owners of a Provari have essentially said if you enjoy what you have, "Good for you! Whatever keeps you off the smokes." They have only responded to the OP's question of what makes the Provari so special to them.
____

I don't understand your statement about the "cleaning" service that Provape gives a Provari for a $20 service fee. You obviously don't understand what all Provape does for this service. For a device that can easily last several years or more, this can be a very worthwhile service to some owners and under certain circumstances, not that different from having your automobile getting a tuneup and detailing job from your favorite mechanic.

Sure you can buy a new MVP for $40. You can buy one every couple of years if that is your perogative. Some people choose to buy tools that will last longer than that. And really, that is what our APV's are - tools. You may be satisfied with Harbor Freight quality, while there are others that will demand DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita quality from their tools because they are better built, and are more durable and dependable for the long run.

Last edited:

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
Y
I really can't believer that you are quoting a $20 (+ship.) cleaning of a device as an advantage over a device that cost $40.00 new. :)

And if your MVP dies-- what does it cost to repair? What does it cost to replace the battery?

Well, you throw your initial $40 away and spend another $40. thats how much. Now you are out $80 and have a "brand spanking new device" that will see its battery deteriorate again over time and require another down the road.

I dont own a provari yet, but i think the "$40" pricepoint of the MVP is not always understood. Sure, leasing a car will get you low payments, but anyone that wants to keep their car a long time will agree in most cases that leasing is throwing money in the toilet. Same with a device that has a non-replaceable battery, and is made of cheaper components. You WILL eventually have to buy another. How long? No on e really knows because they havent been out that long.

MVP : Costs $40 and worth zero at some point in time (1yr?)
Provari : Costs $180 and will be worth $140 if you decide to sell, but will last for years if you keep it.

Either way your "cost" is $40. But with the MVP you have nothing to show for it when its battery or general function stops working. The provari can be repaired, or resold to recoup some of its cost.

Last edited:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
You totally are missing the point. I saw no one in this thread telling anyone that they must buy a Provari in order to have a satisfactory device. If anyone is making an arrogant statement it is you, as you do not own a Provari and therefore can not judge what it is like to own a Provari nor judge its build or quality.

Oh please, the thing is not an Elder Wand. It does not have magical powers. I don't need to poses one to recognize it is well engineered and a quality built item, I know it is.

Perhaps your "standards" in judging a "quality build" is different from mine and others, but making the statement that there are devices with the same quality build as a Provari and cost much less money is rather...uhm, I'll respectfully refrain from using the politically incorrect word here to avoid any warnings from a moderator.

Really? Then please tell me exactly how your Provari is better built than your MVP. ?

Not that parts are replaceable, not that it is made in the USA, not that women will want you if you have one. How is it built better? I think they are both tough and well put together devices judging from materials and build and will stand up to the same kind of beating.

I also have not seen any Provari owners here making any reference that if you don't own a Provari then you can't possibly enjoy vaping. Many owners of a Provari have essentially said if you enjoy what you have, "Good for you! Whatever keeps you off the smokes." They have only responded to the OP's question of what makes the Provari so special to them.

I specifically said that I was not addressing this at you and neither did I say I was directing it at any one in particular in this thread. But, you can not honestly tell me that you haven't seen it time and time again where some one say "just get a provari and be done with it" in cases where other less expensive devices would be a better fit. I have seen it time and again.
____

I don't understand your statement about the "cleaning" service that Provape gives a Provari for a $20 service fee. You obviously don't understand what all Provape does for this service. For a device that can easily last several years or more, this can be very worthwhile service under certain circumstances, not that different from having your automobile getting a tuneup and detailing job from your favorite mechanic.

I don't CARE what provari does for the price, it is still just a refurbished used machine. I can get a brand new one for less than half that. Do you honestly think you are going to be vaping the same pravari in seven years for any reason other than nostalgia? Maybe, but I doubt it. If nothing else, battery tech will make it obsolete.

Sure you can buy a new MVP for $40. You can buy one every couple of years if that is your perogative. Some people choose to buy tools that will last longer than that. And really, that is what our APV's are - tools. You may be satisfied with Harbor Freight quality, while there are others that will demand DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita quality from their tools because they are better built, and are more durable and dependable for the long run.

I agree to a point. But an MVP is NOT Harbor Freight and you know that. It is more like comparing DeWalt to Milaukee. If you are a tool man then you know, just because you pay a lot more for an item, it isn't necessarily that much more a superior product.

BA I have read many of your post and you offer great insight and are a dedicated vaper dude! I very much respect your opinion and I hope you take no offense to my opinions. They are just that > :vapor:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
And if your MVP dies-- what does it cost to repair? What does it cost to replace the battery?

Well, you throw your initial $40 away and spend another $40. thats how much. Now you are out $80 and have a "brand spanking new device" that will see its battery deteriorate again over time and require another down the road.

I dont own a provari yet, but i think the "$40" pricepoint of the MVP is not always understood. Sure, leasing a car will get you low payments, but anyone that wants to keep their car a long time will agree in most cases that leasing is throwing money in the toilet. Same with a device that has a non-replaceable battery, and is made of cheaper components. You WILL eventually have to buy another. How long? No on e really knows because they havent been out that long.

MVP : Costs $40 and worth zero at some point in time (1yr?)
Provari : Costs $180 and will be worth $140 if you decide to sell, but will last for years if you keep it.

Either way your "cost" is $40. But with the MVP you have nothing to show for it when its battery or general function stops working. The provari can be repaired, or resold to recoup some of its cost.

What do you do when your batteries for a pavari die? You have to throw them out and buy brand new ones. Did you figure that in? Oh yea, did you figure in the initial purchase of several batteries and a charger? That alone cost more than the MVP.

Your Provari may hold some value over the course of the many, many years it would take to reach the point where it was more economical over the MVP, but I doubt it.

And, before any one jumps on me about quality,vape, magical powers, etc. I was just addressing the economics here. Nothing else. I realize it's not always about the money.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA

First off, whatever device you have that you like - great. I don't care if it cost you $20 or $2,000. It's yours, not mine. I care about mine. The price of service on my Provari - if needed - is small compared to its purchase price. I don't want the $40 device so that comparison for a new one isn't relevant to me.

Secondly, if the question is "what makes the Provari so special?", it is highly likely you will get favorable reviews from owners. There are pros and cons to each device. That's fine, pick what you like based on that knowledge.

I've looked at some of those threads that have the sarcastic 'I'll put this in before someone else says it - just buy a Provari" and noticed it was posted by someone who didn't own a Provari (as far as I can tell based on their other posts) and worse, the recommendation wasn't relevant to the OPs question. It's a tired, aggravating game just to cause a furor and creates the negative perception of Provari owners that you expressed. I'm not saying there aren't some overly excited Provari owners who sometimes are less than tactful (!) but please recognize when there's a baiting game going on.

Most of us who own Provaris don't trumpet them as the be all and end all of devices. Notice the favorable comments here from Provari owners with Reos and MVPs? Read the new members forum and you'll find Provari owners promoting Egos etc because that is a better match to the OPs objective. Quelle horreur!! Happy Vaping to ALL! :vapor:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The only problem I have is that the Provari is finicky with what batteries it likes.
This is true. It says at least 5 times on the product description page on Provape that they recommend using only AW IMR button top batteries. This is because the Provari was designed around those batteries specifically during its development.

Other IMR / hybrid button top batteries will work perfectly fine in a Provari, specifically those made by Panasonic. However, using any flat top battery and magnets will void the warranty with Provape, as this is considered an unsafe battery practice. Provape also specifically warns against using batteries from Trustfire, Surefire, and Ultrafire.

Those of us belonging to the Provarinati frown upon those who recklessly say "Just get a Provari" to just anyone and everyone. We don't approve of that practice any more than those who are critical of that. The choice of a mod is a personal one, and includes many factors including the level of experience of the potential owner, their needs and expectations, and of course budget. Many in the Provarinati will suggest a newer vapor choose a Ego or MVP starter kit, as I routinely do on a regular basis. However, if the person has done their research and has the budget covered and wants a Provari, I see no reason to talk them out of one.

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
What do you do when your batteries for a pavari die? You have to throw them out and buy brand new ones. Did you figure that in? Oh yea, did you figure in the initial purchase of several batteries and a charger? That alone cost more than the MVP.
Batteries are cheap. $8 a pop for AW at the local store. Charger for $14. So, no, the batteries and charger do not cost more than an MVP out the door.

Your Provari may hold some value over the course of the many, many years it would take to reach the point where it was more economical over the MVP, but I doubt it.

Hmmm... After "many many years" as you say, you are left with ZERO value in your hands after buying a quite a few MVPs because they are not user serviceable. Some say the battery is showing wear after just 2 months. With the Provari, it will still be working "after many many years", and you can sell it and still make cash back, if you choose to. Tell me how the MVP is significantly more economical given this please. You can sell me a cheap car that will eventually fully depreciate in one year, be worth nothing, and not work. But in that first year, it will work well most times and get me to/from work. But it will eventually not work and be worth $0. But its low price isnt a reason to say its worth buying, for those that want something dependable in the long haul. I go back to leasing. Sure its cheaper up front, but at the end of the day youve spent money and have no product in your hands anymore to show for it.

But in the end if you dont want it, dont see the value, or cant afford it just dont friggin buy it!!! So simple!

I see this with every "hobby" im involved in. Guitar playing for example, people have the opportunity to buy a cheap Chinese amp for $600. But you can buy a hand-wired amp with "mojo" for $3k. Those that can afford the extra few bucks for what THEY SEE as worth it, do. Those that cant afford it, or just dont see anything wrong with the $600 setup, dont. But the forums are filled with wars between the two about "value" and "is it worth the extra cash?". And to that last question the answer is solely in your personal financial situation and personal preference.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do you honestly think you are going to be vaping the same pravari in seven years for any reason other than nostalgia? Maybe, but I doubt it. If nothing else, battery tech will make it obsolete.
Absolutely! I likely will still be using my two Provari's until the day I die, and likely will be holding one in my hand at my funeral if my children respect my wishes. My Provari's do everything that I want them to do and do it better than any other mod that I own. Will there be other devices that are "better" than my Provari's? Probably, but as long as my current Provari's do what they do I don't need whatever the new-fangled mods will offer. I'm a very simple vapor who only wants a dependable, reliable, consistant, durable, and ultimately repairable mod. The Provari does just that for me.

Last edited:

Fergie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Toronto, Canada,
I didn't even know Provari existed at first, before I came on the forums. I came across a kit at the dollar store at the mall in our building, 2 batteries and 5 cartomizers. (cigalike) Up until then I was desperate to quit. Bingo in a few days I was off stinkies and into the vaping world.

Whatever works ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread