Status
Not open for further replies.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Its all the luck of the draw guys , Smok,Sigelei,ijoy,Wismec,etc are knocking out a mod a day lately......i do believe Smok does lead the pack in new releases though.........Quality Control is non existent in Chinese mods for the most part...."well just sell you a new 39$ mod tomorrow"......i dont think they really care in the least

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
i believe the Op was baiting us
I am beginning to think you are right but just in case he is serious I hope he will come back with more information if he really wants help. It is kinda strange the this was his first post since he joined the forum in 2012. The 96 years old kinda threw me too but that could have been transposed numbers.

I guess y'all have guessed by now....I ALWAYS try to see honesty up until the time I am proven wrong. :)

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I guess regardless of if this was bs or no, I think Mooch has the best answer on his first video if asked if a vape is safe. Simply "no". If you want safe stay in bed and hope nothing goes wrong while you are there. Like anything else on the planet it's a good idea to understand what you are playing with and even then things can go snafu. Life is like that. It can go up in smok at any time.

thefutureisnow

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Florida
Thanks for everyone's replies, except the insulting ones. The lady at the smoke shop agreed with a lot of you and recommended an external battery that I can charge on a dedicated device. She also told me never to charge my ecigarette through my computer. And finally, she said not to leave it charging all night. I bought the priv v8. Hopefully, everything will be ok this time. It's going to cost a lot of money to replace my carpet and I think that directvapor who sold me the device should be financial liable.

Attachments

• 20180109_115251.jpg
    20180109_115251.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 20180109_115303.jpg
    20180109_115303.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 50

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Thanks for everyone's replies, except the insulting ones. The lady at the smoke shop agreed with a lot of you and recommended an external battery that I can charge on a dedicated device. She also told me never to charge my ecigarette through my computer. And finally, she said not to leave it charging all night. I bought the priv v8. Hopefully, everything will be ok this time. It's going to cost a lot of money to replace my carpet and I think that directvapor who sold me the device should be financial liable.

You're a lot braver than I. If I had a Smok and it blew up, I wouldn't have gone out and bought a second one.

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You are very welcome. I hate that you had to learn this lesson the hard way. hopefully now that you know what can happen it will never happen again but if it does it won't cause so much damage. If you were charging your device with your computer you are very lucky that it didn't get fried too. The lady at the vape store gave you some very good advice about not using your computer for charging.

Please remember .... You have an external battery device now. Good choice. If you decide to carry extra batteries make sure you have a battery case for them. Never, NEVER carry them loose in a pocket. Very bad things happen when these powerful batteries short out in a pocket or purse or even a back pack.

Also, when charging the batteries, Please set them on a fire proof surface. As I said before, I set my charger in a pyrex baking dish and I make sure nothing flammable is near it. I feel sure it will contain any mishap.

Wishing you good luck on your vaping journey. Hopefully this will be your one and only really bad experience.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

Hopefully you also purchased appropriate batteries for your new power device.
Name brand with a sufficient CDR.
Using a quality external charger is always a good idea.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Glad you stopped back to follow up on your misfortune!

She also told me never to charge my ecigarette through my computer. And finally, she said not to leave it charging all night.

While there is no confirmation that this was the procedure used that caused or contributed to this incident, there is little reason to dismiss the possibility/probability of "user error."

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Glad you got a new set up TH......you have to admit you were fair game...first post,joined 2012,"which ecig is least likely to blow up'' as a title......we are a good bunch here but for the sake of sanity every once in a while someone will be called out

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I am so glad you came back and updated. It's certainly possible that the mod incident COULD have been user error, or it COULD have been a defective mod. It is a good idea not to charge overnight as these incidents do happen from time to time.

It sounds like the person at the vape shop gave you good advice, and if you follow safe battery practices and charging, hopefully everything will be fine.

I will add that you should CHECK your battery WRAPS and be careful with insertion and removal, and some charger sleds can be a bit difficult, so it is also very important to take good care of your batteries and if you get nicks and scratches, to rewrap the battery (there are tutorials on this site and elsewhere, but it's quite easy. There's no reason to think (in my mind) that just because you had a bad experience with a smok product that that will necessarily be repeated.

If you want to learn more about battery safety this blog is a valuable resource if it has not been mentioned yet: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Best of luck and I am sorry to hear about your carpet. Many of us do place chargers in self-contained environments in case a fire occurs, like an oven-safe dish, etc. That at least gives a chance of containing the fire, if the charger is being watched (although it has been my experience that external chargers are far safer.

I find it unlikely that either the vendor or smok would be likely to pay for your carpet unfortunately, at least not without a lawsuit, or even small claims court w/r/t the vendor but these things do VERY RARELY happen, and honestly I am glad that it was your carpet, not your hands or face.

Best of luck and I am really hoping things work out for you, you've had some bad luck for sure.

Anna

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
you have to admit you were fair game

No. He wasn't.

Folks, we're getting sick and tired of the membership jumping on the troll wagon. This isn't Reddit or some other site where the rules are anything goes. We set specific rules for a reason, and some of you are showing why we put those rules into place to begin with. To the OP, our apologies. To those who think trolling is perfectly acceptable, you know better. Knock it off.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Seriously?????

Is this just another Smok complaint thread added to your list for justification that all Smok products are defective?

:facepalm:
I frequent quite a few vape related forums and they all have one thing in common and that is Smok is very consistently the company with bad quality control. I'm not saying all their products are bad but when you look at the various problems with not just one model and instead multiple models I get the feeling that they are just in it for the money not that that is a bad thing....

When the batteries we use can be as energy dense as a bullet and have the potential to explode quality control for devices should be paramount, imagine that there were a company that made ovens and that 1 in 500 of their products had a defect that caused a gas leak and could lead to devastation, there would be a recall or a repair procedure to perform, the company may even get fined. While vapes wouldn't be as devastating as a gas explosion for obvious reasons we put these things directly into our faces and bad quality control can ruin someones life pretty easily and harm someone pretty damn bad even if they aren't in someones face.

Right now much of the industry is focusing on quantity and what we really need is quality, it's hard to find a vape these days that will be consistent after 4-5 months when used as a single/main mod and when it comes to smok it's getting rarer that they will even last that long not that there isn't exceptions..

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

All good advice. I think quite a few people have used the Priv and like it.

One thing though, in terms of potential liability it would be Smok not directvapor that could potentially be liable. You wouldn't sue Best Buy if your Samsung Clothes Dryer exploded.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I frequent quite a few vape related forums and they all have one thing in common and that is Smok is very consistently the company with bad quality control.

Perhaps a better phrase would be "with numerous complaints?"

No question there are a lot of Smok "complaints." The question is what percent of those "complaints" are actually defective equipment and what percent are abuse and/or user error? Many, if not most of the "complaints" I've read about are either, like this thread appears to be, user error or the poster complaining never returns with any follow-up as to what the actual cause of the problem is/was making it near impossible to determine accurate percentages for either. I also get a sense a substantial number of Smok purchasers are new vapers who tend to have "problems" learning how to use their gear, regardless of brand. But I have no way of knowing fore sure.

If one merely chooses to count the number of Smok complaints, you can rack up a large number. Whittle out those with any number of variable reasons for abuse or user error as well as "complaints" or "warnings" made based solely on what a poster has read and that number might not be so large in comparison to total sales.

One can count the number of "complaints", but there is no number available for how many Smok users are getting along just fine with no "problems" or "complaints."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread