Why I love my screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
Take the adapter out of the S/D first. Take the switch out of the adapter. Sandwich wire between the switch and adapter while putting the switch and adapter back together. Then put the adapter/switch unit back into S/D. Wire gets pinched between the switch and adapter. Other end of wire is soldered to the prong. Hope that makes sense. Don't really want to take it apart right now.

just4747

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
How can the switch and adapter make a single unit before both going in? On mine, the switch has to go in the battery housing first from the inside, you stick the button through the hole where it sits, then you can screw on the round threaded adapter over the button on the outside of the battery housing. Maybe we have 2 different kinds of switches??

You gotta take pics for me man, I'm so confused because nothing you say about yours matches up with how mine is set up..

Last edited:

just4747

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Okay here is how mine is set up (quick crappy cell pics). There are these 6 pieces: the atomizer and it's adapter, the battery, the battery housing, the switch/switch housing, the little washer that slides onto the switch housing thread, and that little round threaded adapter that screws over the switch from the outside:
IMG00053.jpg

And here is how the switch part must be assembled: the switch/switch housing is placed into the housing from the left and stuck through the other end, and then the little adapter must be screwed on over that from the outside till both are tight together and then they are both held on:
IMG00055.jpg

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
Just4747, we are not talking about the same piece when using the term "adapter". Like I said before, in your pics the "adapter" is still in the S/D. It screws out. Ours are the same you just have not fully taken yours apart yet. I'll try to take photos sometime today. There are probably many ways to complete the circuit, the way I did it just happened to work first for me based on what I had laying around.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
Unless I am wrong and this part really is metal (on this Radio Shack switch); is it Lurker?? That's the part I have been thinking is really a plastic and not a metal because it feels so cheap:

3039221386_8bab3b1f54.jpg
it looks like that switch is aluminium , which is why it feels cheap. Rub a needle file over it to check if its aluminium or plastic. by looking at it i'm 99% sure it will be aluminium.
It will solder but aluminium is hard to weld or solder. give the aluminium housing some key by roughing it up with the file and use plenty of heat when soldering and use fluxed solder.

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
Yeah the end part the switch goes into unscrews into the inside of the battery compartment. There are two notches on it inside the battery compartment. You can find something that will fit in there and unscrew it. What I did was unscrew the unit while the switch was still attached. You can grab the switch threads just under the button with some needle nose pliers and turn it clockwise to get it started. I'll work on the pics soon.

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
Ok, I know it's ugly but it works:D
Notice the continuous piece of wire that runs from the prong then goes between the "adapter" and switch and then back to the prong. Built in redundancy incase the wire breaks off somewhere. Also I did have to file out the hole in the adapter slightly to get the new switch and wire to fit back in the adapter.

3047945637_403b4b9c98.jpg

3047945691_c576ef9596.jpg

3047945637_403b4b9c98.jpg

Lurker

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2008
Pacifica, CA USA
Mine's only got one notch and I can't get it to budge...don't see how it'll be possible to get out. And when you unscrew the switch thread from the outside that just loosens and detaches the switch housing, doesn't do a thing for this internal adapter.

Don't unscrew the switch thread. Turn it the other way to get the adapter loose.

just4747

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Okay, this is getting aggravating. I tied wire to one prong, wrapped the other end around the little washer, and put electric tape over that prong so the two prongs are never touching...so why is the SD still activating right when I screw it all together with a battery in? If the two prongs aren't touching then why would it be burning up from the get-go right when I tighten it together???

just4747

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Yeah they're N.O. I actually tried to tighten the switch in there a little more and pushed the prong down a little more and it seems to work now. But GOD those RS switches are ****ty. I tried grabbing the threads from the outside under the button to tighten it a little with pliers and it just wrecked the threads and deformed them from one little grab...ughh
Can't wait to get the new one in the mail from Trog..I wish I knew where to get those ones! (In different colors too :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread