Why so many Mods ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I was ate up with buying a while back but settled in after finding a couple that check my boxes. I think the credit card balance also played a role.

Now I just pick up backup stuff here and there or an occasional new flavor of juice. It just got old buying stuff, using it a few times then stashing it away.

The more new gizmos and gadgets came out the more I longed for old school style devices. I found what I like and vape on using those.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Only vaping for a year but now have 7 mods and 16 atty's....guess I have Shinyitis, it's just so convenient to have so many juice flavors ready to vape. The atty's tend to die off as I find what suits me best. So far mesh really is impressive and mtl RTA's like the Galaxies have great flavor but short coil life....black goo build up.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Only vaping for a year but now have 7 mods and 16 atty's....guess I have Shinyitis, it's just so convenient to have so many juice flavors ready to vape. The atty's tend to die off as I find what suits me best. So far mesh really is impressive and mtl RTA's like the Galaxies have great flavor but short coil life....black goo build up.

I have found that setting up about 4 mods and attys works well for me. Two will be adv, the other two fill in or new flavors to try. The reason I stopped keeping even more RTAs full for swapping around was if it sat a week or two without use it never quite tasted right and I'd rewick it. Especially if it as say a tank I already half vaped. Then I figured if I had to rewick it anyway, might as well just leave it with a clean coil build in there, sometimes even wicked and left dry, then simply rotate it back in when I was ready.

Now I've been squonking a lot and that isn't as much of a problem. Juice sitting in the silicone bottle stays fresh, and rewicking an rda is less than a 5 minute process (could be even faster but I have an OCD way of cleaning and rewicking so it adds a few minutes on.).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Juice sitting in the silicone bottle stays fresh, and rewicking an rda is less than a 5 minute process (could be even faster but I have an OCD way of cleaning and rewicking so it adds a few minutes on.).
Those two things won me over five years ago.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was a Boy Scout in my early years! Be Prepared!

I chalked up my mod and atomizer purchases as a response to an eventual FDA crackdown threat. As I found mods I liked I bought them as they went on sale. Under $30 for something I like will usually make me bring in PayPal and order it.

The FDA is notorious for planning a crackdown on various products and then they swoop down and seize without warning. Then, it's too late. I want to remain a member of the "I got mine" club. Tanks are long life items that can easily be repaired and rebuilt. Mod electronics die without warning and most vapers can't repair the electronics.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I dont have alot of mods.... I have a wife that keeps count :)
Is there a curb outside your house? ;)

My wife of 33 years (a never smoker/vaper!) bought about half the mods I own for me as birthday and Christmas presents. I think I'll keep her. Although I must admit, I was frustrated a couple of times when a new mod I wanted showed up around Thanksgiving, but she wouldn't let me have it until Christmas day.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
Im only just beginning the journey with only 5 mods to my name, 2 of which are mechanical. My weakness seems to be attys atm. Always chasing the perfect one, though I have a few atm that I really like. Im sure in time my appetite for mods will increase, but there is a certain price range I can't justify exceeding. I notice that a lot of the more expensive mods, like stabwoods, are nice looking but the overall specs arent so impressive that I feel like I have to have it. Especially since stuff happens and it would he awful to drop or otherwise damage an expensive mod like that.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mechanical mods don't have that weakness.

True, but I like electronics that warn me when I do something dumb. There's been a couple of times over the years that one of my builds reported "atomizer short" after building (deck/chimney short from a wire that didn't get trimmed close enough to the post). Of course, I'm not quite as careful because of the safety factor, but I do use the 510 ohmmeter to build on and check resistance before installing. Mechs are cool, but they require that you verify everything every time before installing.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Mechanical mods don't have that weakness.

True, but I like electronics that warn me when I do something dumb. There's been a couple of times over the years that one of my builds reported "atomizer short" after building (deck/chimney short from a wire that didn't get trimmed close enough to the post). Of course, I'm not quite as careful because of the safety factor, but I do use the 510 ohmmeter to build on and check resistance before installing. Mechs are cool, but they require that you verify everything every time before installing.

I too, plus I prefer the consistency of the vape (hated that voltage drop thing).

Thankfully, @Katdarling began pushing me sometime around early 2014, because she insisted the end would come. I was doubtful, but agreed (within an agreed upon monthly budget, never exceeding 50% of smoking cost).

It was a numbers game, and it turned out that we've now got the numbers. I'll be ever grateful, yet still bummed for those who didn't have the time and/or funds to prep similarly.

I still think it will come back, but we're definitely in for a "blip", at the very least.

Did I mention, "HATE!"? Yes. Yes, I did.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I too, plus I prefer the consistency of the vape (hated that voltage drop thing).

Thankfully, @Katdarling began pushing me sometime around early 2014, because she insisted the end would come. I was doubtful, but agreed (within an agreed upon monthly budget, never exceeding 50% of smoking cost).

It was a numbers game, and it turned out that we've now got the numbers. I'll be ever grateful, yet still bummed for those who didn't have the time and/or funds to prep similarly.

I still think it will come back, but we're definitely in for a "blip", at the very least.

Eventually, vaping will be rewarded with praise for its ability to get people off the smokes. Right now, it's the "I hate smoking" crowd that's pushing the country against anything that looks like smoke. They consider vaping as another method that "Looks Like Smoking".

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Is there a curb outside your house? ;)

My wife of 33 years (a never smoker/vaper!) bought about half the mods I own for me as birthday and Christmas presents. I think I'll keep her. Although I must admit, I was frustrated a couple of times when a new mod I wanted showed up around Thanksgiving, but she wouldn't let me have it until Christmas day.
This makes me wish that my father had been a vaper. It was hell buying presents for him.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Off topic, but what the hey: I've just started looking at/buying mechs. Which thread here is the best place to go to learn about which ones I should go for?
Not sure. Depends what you're looking for. All mine are historical artifacts now.

T04Um4y.jpg

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg

Just so you know, not that you're interested in going mech, but there are LiFePO4 batteries with extremely flat discharge curves, meaning you could go mech and have a pretty consistent vape: For example, you could vape from aorund 16.25 watts down to 15.75 watts across the first 2000mah of the 2600mah battery. Of course, it's a 26650 battery, so you might have to turn in your 'itty bitty mod' card.

( thread mentioning the battery )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread