Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I dislike SS. It makes my juices taste metallic (to me at least). K1 is ok, but nichrome is all I ever use anymore.

If I were to use the profile, I would want mesh. With a smaller single coil like I use (2.5 id triple 28g fused claptons with 40g wrap) it just has too much open space for my liking and I highly doubt it would out perform something designed specifically with single coils in mind.

Well, it seems that I might have been right in not getting one. It may not be my style, with no nichrome mesh options that I could find, and no good way to predetermine ohms without a lot of trial and error and most likely wasting a lot of mesh in the process.

Thanks for the response. I kind of brought a few things to my attention that makes a difference to me.
Vandy vape sells nichrome mesh in spools. It’s 100 mesh that is 1.2 ohm per foot. I haven’t messed around trying to get different ohm builds because it doesn’t matter much to me but I’m sure you could get in the range you stated with some trial and error. Anyway just thought I’d point out there is nichrome mesh available.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Vandy vape sells nichrome mesh in spools. It’s 100 mesh that is 1.2 ohm per foot. I haven’t messed around trying to get different ohm builds because it doesn’t matter much to me but I’m sure you could get in the range you stated with some trial and error. Anyway just thought I’d point out there is nichrome mesh available.

I must have missed that on my search. Hmmm. Now I'm back on the fence about it. Dang it guys!

Reactions: madstabber

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Just to clarify the OFRF Kanthal mesh strips is 0.13 ohms.

I have only used the Wotofo, OFRF and the VV SS 200. Vandy Vape does have a KA1 and Ni80 mesh spools, both of which are of higher resistance per foot than the 200 SS which when cut to size is approx. 0.17(is) ohms. Couldn’t tell ya what the resistance of the KA1 or Ni80 would be when cut to size. The Profile is designed for a specific sized mesh, there maybe a bit of wiggle room but not much, so using a longer strip for a higher resistance is not really an option.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The Profile is designed for a specific sized mesh, there maybe a bit of wiggle room but not much, so using a longer strip for a higher resistance is not really an option.

This is the big hang up for me. I like to adjust my ohms a little bit to get the vape I want. I usually just have a handful of RDAs pre built to certain ohms and swap them depending on how I feel that day. With this it really limits my ability to do that.

It seems like it would be great for regulated mods though. But I don't use regulated. I find the ones that offer the features I want are uncomfortable in my hand, and the ones that are comfortable just don't offer the features I want.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will just stick with my old fashioned coils. I always appreciate it when you guys can give some opinions so I don't have to drop cash on something that will likely just set and collect dust.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Just to clarify the OFRF Kanthal mesh strips is 0.13 ohms.

I have only used the Wotofo, OFRF and the VV SS 200. Vandy Vape does have a KA1 and Ni80 mesh spools, both of which are of higher resistance per foot than the 200 SS which when cut to size is approx. 0.17(is) ohms. Couldn’t tell ya what the resistance of the KA1 or Ni80 would be when cut to size. The Profile is designed for a specific sized mesh, there maybe a bit of wiggle room but not much, so using a longer strip for a higher resistance is not really an option.
Won’t the resistance go up if you cut the mesh width? I thought someone told me that and if so it would give him enough wiggle room to get over 0.2 possibly 0.25 ohm range. Probably more but I’m not sure how a skinny mesh strip would effect flavor and/or overall performance.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Won’t the resistance go up if you cut the mesh width? I thought someone told me that and if so it would give him enough wiggle room to get over 0.2 possibly 0.25 ohm range. Probably more but I’m not sure how a skinny mesh strip would effect flavor and/or overall performance.

So that the strip is thinner? Yes, that will increase resistance. Similar to a wire – thinner the gauge, higher the resistance. Longer the wire, higher the resistance. Thinner (width) of mesh, higher the resistance, longer mesh, higher the resistance.

But one of the benefits of mesh is all that direct surface area!! Cutting it down is considered mesh abuse which is punishable by law in some countries

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
So that the strip is thinner? Yes, that will increase resistance. Similar to a wire – thinner the gauge, higher the resistance. Longer the wire, higher the resistance. Thinner (width) of mesh, higher the resistance, longer mesh, higher the resistance.

But one of the benefits of mesh is all that direct surface area!! Cutting it down is considered mesh abuse which is punishable by law in some countries
I’ve thought about cutting the middle of the mesh removing 1-2 mm from the center leaving a gap in the center and mesh on both sides. I was gonna do this for dripping purposes so the drips hit the wicking instead of the mesh. I have no idea what this accomplishes but I thought it was a bright idea. So bright I never tried it so if anyone tries this let me know how it works. If it miraculously improves performance then I want credit and I’m suing for intellectual theft. Some folks have no shame. :facepalm::-x:lol:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I’ve thought about cutting the middle of the mesh removing 1-2 mm from the center leaving a gap in the center and mesh on both sides. I was gonna do this for dripping purposes so the drips hit the wicking instead of the mesh. I have no idea what this accomplishes but I thought it was a bright idea. So bright I never tried it so if anyone tries this let me know how it works. If it miraculously improves performance then I want credit and I’m suing for intellectual theft. Some folks have no shame. :facepalm::-x:lol:

Don’t know if there would be any benefits to that. Dripping directly onto a contact coil, juice doesn’t easily seep through as an example. Guess there is only one way to find out….give it shot!

Do you find dripping a problem? I just dump the juice in, the wick soaks it all up!

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Don’t know if there would be any benefits to that. Dripping directly onto a contact coil, juice doesn’t easily seep through as an example. Guess there is only one way to find out….give it shot!

Do you find dripping a problem? I just dump the juice in, the wick soaks it all up!
I don’t really ever drip, I Squonk. I don’t think I could handle having an open bottle ready to drip every few hits, just seems tedious

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I don’t really ever drip, I Squonk. I don’t think I could handle having an open bottle ready to drip every few hits, just seems tedious
Dripping is still the best way to sample flavors when one is so inclined. For an all day vape, especially out and about, internal or external tanks are the way to go IMO.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

IMO cutting the mesh size down to spark interest in folks like @Zaryk to finally try mesh is anything but mesh abuse. How much width would have to be cut off to net the .2-2.5Ω build wanted is unknown, but likely would not reduce its surface area enough to matter, It would be easy enough with shears to creep up to it with just one piece of mesh. I have no doubt at all that if the surface area is not reduced too far a Proifle RDA would be a stellar vape with a .2-.25Ω strip in it that will surpass a similar Ω single wire coil build in it. But then I admit that I am prejudice now days when it comes to mesh over wire coils.

I'll play along just for S&G since Zaryk won't. Sometime today/tonight I will cut a mesh strip to get the .2-2.5Ω wanted, set it up and see how it vapes on a Reo P67 18650 mech mod (the mech mod being another requirement Z mentioned).

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
IMO cutting the mesh size down to spark interest in folks like @Zaryk to finally try mesh is anything but mesh abuse. How much width would have to be cut off to net the .2-2.5Ω build wanted is unknown, but likely would not reduce its surface area enough to matter, It would be easy enough with shears to creep up to it with just one piece of mesh. I have no doubt at all that if the surface area is not reduced too far a Proifle RDA would be a stellar vape with a .2-.25Ω strip in it that will surpass a similar Ω single wire coil build in it. But then I admit that I am prejudice now days when it comes to mesh over wire coils.

I'll play along just for S&G since Zaryk won't. Sometime today/tonight I will cut a mesh strip to get the .2-2.5Ω wanted, set it up and see how it vapes on a Reo P67 18650 mech mod (the mech mod being another requirement Z mentioned).

I greatly appreciate you being willing to experiment with it. I would normally just jump in and mess around myself, but I have a son that is undergoing treatment and it really hits the wallet hard. So I don't have enough disposable income to just try something new on a whim. My vape funds fill pretty slowly, so I try to spend a little bit wiser.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I greatly appreciate you being willing to experiment with it. I would normally just jump in and mess around myself, but I have a son that is undergoing treatment and it really hits the wallet hard. So I don't have enough disposable income to just try something new on a whim. My vape funds fill pretty slowly, so I try to spend a little bit wiser.

I decided there was no time like the present... so I have already done the deed and found out immediately the "creeping up" should have been stated as more like mico creeping up. Starting with a Wotofo 0.18Ω mesh strip, I cut off the width what amounted to 2 holes and netted a 0.27 build (my eyesight is not good now days, I'm going blind at short range). IOW, if you want a 0.20Ω a less than half a hole might be enough, taking off 1 hole might net closer to a 0.25 build. With a fully charged batt (4.2VDC) this 0.27Ω draws 15.5 A and hits at 65 W on a mech Reo Squonker. A DLH with the AFC's wide open gets more than enough flavor albeit with less vapor than at 0.18Ω and those I have with 0.13Ω strips. I 'm not a tootle puffer, so have next to no experience at all with vaping MTL. It might sound silly, but MTL is not comfortable to me (I DLH the stinkies and pipes too for almost all of the over 50 years I used tobacco). But I closed down the AFC's to 3 micro holes for a tight draw and tried to MTL. It got what I can only assume would be ample vapor and flavor, but not near enough of either for my style. Anyway, beyond this you're on your own to decide and fine tune yourself if you do.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I decided there was no time like the present... so I have already done the deed and found out immediately the "creeping up" should have been stated as more like mico creeping up. Starting with a Wotofo 0.18Ω mesh strip, I cut off the width what amounted to 2 holes and netted a 0.27 build (my eyesight is not good now days, I'm going blind at short range). IOW, if you want a 0.20Ω a less than half a hole might be enough, taking off 1 hole might net closer to a 0.25 build. With a fully charged batt (4.2VDC) this 0.27Ω draws 15.5 A and hits at 65 W on a mech Reo Squonker. A DLH with the AFC's wide open gets more than enough flavor albeit with less vapor than at 0.18Ω and those I have with 0.13Ω strips. I 'm not a tootle puffer, so have next to no experience at all with vaping MTL. It might sound silly, but MTL is not comfortable to me (I DLH the stinkies and pipes too for almost all of the over 50 years I used tobacco). But I closed down the AFC's to 3 micro holes for a tight draw and tried to MTL. It got what I can only assume would be ample vapor and flavor, but not near enough of either for my style. Anyway, beyond this you're on your own to decide and fine tune yourself if you do.

Very good to know. I appreciate the effort. You got me sold now. I am going to pick one up, probably next week.

When I go to buy this I will also grab some extra mesh. Does a 5 foot roll last a decent amount of time or would buying a couple rolls be advised?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Zaryk – first off, well wishes to your son.

Not sure what your purchasing options are, as in shipping charges for small items etc, but given this will be your first exposure perhaps proceed on the side of caution and pick up just a single spool. Should it not work out for you, there will be less of a loss.

I have only used the Wotofo, OFRF and VV 200 SS mesh. Not a fan of the 200 mesh so can’t comment on longevity, but the Kanthal Wotofo and OFRF can last a few months per strip with proper care. They are however, thicker than the VV spool mesh that I own which I am leading to believe will play into their longevity. Food for thought.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
@Zaryk – first off, well wishes to your son.

Not sure what your purchasing options are, as in shipping charges for small items etc, but given this will be your first exposure perhaps proceed on the side of caution and pick up just a single spool. Should it not work out for you, there will be less of a loss.

I have only used the Wotofo, OFRF and VV 200 SS mesh. Not a fan of the 200 mesh so can’t comment on longevity, but the Kanthal Wotofo and OFRF can last a few months per strip with proper care. They are however, thicker than the VV spool mesh that I own which I am leading to believe will play into their longevity. Food for thought.

Thanks, that means a lot to me. We are all trying to stay positive and keep my son in good spirits. He was diagnosed with leukemia earlier this year, and it has been a rough road so far.

I was looking at shipping on single spools and it costs as much, some places more, to ship a single spool than what the spool costs. I think one will do the trick for now, and I'll buy and compare the ni80 vs the k1that comes with it. Then if all goes well, stock up on the one I like best.

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Very good to know. I appreciate the effort. You got me sold now. I am going to pick one up, probably next week.

When I go to buy this I will also grab some extra mesh. Does a 5 foot roll last a decent amount of time or would buying a couple rolls be advised?
Depending on what part of Ohio your in,if your anywhere near the East side of Columbus,your more than welcome to stop by and try out a profile to see if you like them before spending the money to take a chance.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Depending on what part of Ohio your in,if your anywhere near the East side of Columbus,your more than welcome to stop by and try out a profile to see if you like them before spending the money to take a chance.

I'm near Chillicothe. I have to go to children's hospital every two weeks though. When it's my turn to go, and I have some down time, i may hit you up. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread