Status
Not open for further replies.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I'm near Chillicothe. I have to go to children's hospital every two weeks though. When it's my turn to go, and I have some down time, i may hit you up. Thanks!
No problem.I'm maybe 15-20 minutes from Childrens,so not too far off.
I've always wanted to move down around Chillicothe,much more peaceful down around that area,but my wife wouldn't survive living more than 5 minutes away from her mom and sister haha.

• Agree
Reactions: Zaryk

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
No problem.I'm maybe 15-20 minutes from Childrens,so not too far off.
I've always wanted to move down around Chillicothe,much more peaceful down around that area,but my wife wouldn't survive living more than 5 minutes away from her mom and sister haha.

It really is much more peaceful. I live about 10 miles outside of chilli, deep in the hills and woods. I can not live inside of city limits, just drives me nuts. I've lived in country regions all my life. I was lucky and my wife happens to be the same way.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
My 9 Profile rda's are looking at me with...
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f3.jpg
f4.jpg
f5.jpg
f6.jpg
f7.jpg
f8.jpg
f9.jpg

... forlorn eyes because they think I have permanently abandoned them. I have not, I will not. But I do have to admit that they have been mostly idle since I bought and have been playing around with five of their Profile Unity rta cousins. :blush:

Kinda reminds me of Runaround Sue from back in my teens in the early 60's. So I guess that makes me a Wanderer. ;)

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
My profile should be arriving in a few hours.
Can anyone recommend a correct wicking method? The two suggested I have seen is mikevapes who fluffed the cotton then trimmed it around the base in a circular shape and grimmgreen who didn't fluff and just cut it at a sort of angle from the top then tucked it in.

Is there a better way? Or will both methods work the same? I don't want many dry hits.

• Winner
Reactions: Spydro

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Can anyone recommend a correct wicking method? The two suggested I have seen is mikevapes who fluffed the cotton then trimmed it around the base in a circular shape and grimmgreen who didn't fluff and just cut it at a sort of angle from the top then tucked it in.

Is there a better way? Or will both methods work the same? I don't want many dry hits.

Both the same. I just cut the wick straight with the outside of the deck, and with a blunt object, fluff out any compression from the cut (not thin out) then tuck it into the deck. You just need to ensure there are no voids between the cotton and mesh.

If using a Muji pad. ¾ of the pad with the out layer removed is perfect – lightly roll and stuff under the mesh. With Firebolt cotton, use 3 strings. And Rayon, I doubled up the rope. Or just use the Wotofo cotton.

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

In my first WPM's I used pulled and rolled CBV2 cotton because IMO with their spring loaded deck the included Wotofo cotton was overkill. So I didn't feel the need to over groom the cottons. I also did some builds with pulled and rolled KGD pads and they also worked just fine. From experience using all my mesh VVM's and DMP's that are more fussy with the wicking from before the WPM's came along I found the WPM's to be as easy as it gets in mesh rda's. What I use now days is two or three 3.0/3.5mm bolts of Vapefly Firebolt Cotton (how many depends on the viscosity of the DIY I will run in it). I stack 2 on top of each other, or make a pyramid if with 3 bolts... two on the bottom/1 on top and cCut the bottom bolt(s) for the drip well, cut the top bolt short and push it up to serve as an additional liquid reservoir. I first started using the bolts in my Wotofo Profile Unity Mesh RTA's. They were a great success in them, so started using them in the WPM's as well. Like with coil builds the first telltale signs that the wicking is running low on joose are recognizable on mesh builds as well. I have never suffered a dry hit on any of my 9 WPM's or 5 WPU's. I DLH and can get 12-15 pulls before I re-saturate the wicks.

firebolt3-35.jpg

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
In my first WPM's I used pulled and rolled CBV2 cotton because IMO with their spring loaded deck the included Wotofo cotton was overkill. So I didn't feel the need to over groom the cottons. I also did some builds with pulled and rolled KGD pads and they also worked just fine. From experience using all my mesh VVM's and DMP's that are more fussy with the wicking from before the WPM's came along I found the WPM's to be as easy as it gets in mesh RDA's. What I use now days is two or three 3.0/3.5mm bolts of Vapefly Firebolt Cotton (how many depends on the viscosity of the DIY I will run in it). I stack 2 on top of each other, or make a pyramid if with 3 bolts... two on the bottom/1 on top and cCut the bottom bolt(s) for the drip well, cut the top bolt short and push it up to serve as an additional liquid reservoir. I first started using the bolts in my Wotofo Profile Unity Mesh RTA's. They were a great success in them, so started using them in the WPM's as well. Like with coil builds the first telltale signs that the wicking is running low on joose are recognizable on mesh builds as well. I have never suffered a dry hit on any of my 9 WPM's or 5 WPU's. I DLH and can get 12-15 pulls before I re-saturate the wicks.

View attachment 819423
Thank you. The 3 firebolts work perfectly.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I have just started using rayon on all my rebuilds and so far thumbs up..much cleaner. On mt profiles I use a thick rayon roll with a cotton thread at the base over the spring cap, this is working very well and so clean.
I see OFRF has released a SS mesh coil, hope we see SS mess strips for the Profile.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I just picked up a profile today. It is taking an ultrasonic bath right now, but I will be building it and trying it out shortly. Im going to try it with the included mesh, and cut it down if I need to for my mechs.

Fingers crossed, I hope I'm not disappointed with it.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Well .17 ohm mesh just isnt good on a mech, for me. I have to squonk about every one or two hits to avoid dry hits. I think it's just too much power going into the mesh.

I'm going to cut the sides down a little to try to get to .25ish and try again. So far, when I don't get dry hits, it isn't bad. Hopefully raising the ohms will do the trick.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm now at .24 and everything is going smoothly. Works well on my spade now. I'm not getting dry hits and the flavor is coming through just fine. The vapor is a little dryer than with my Claptons, but it's not a bad thing. Just different, and sometimes different is nice.

Now it is time to run it through its paces for a couple of days and see what mod it will end up living on. I'm going to be pairing it up on different mods with different batteries to find what works best for me.

Thanks to everyone who helped me decide to try this RDA. I am kind of a creature of habit, so I need a nudge or two when it comes to trying something out of my comfort zone.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Well .17 ohm mesh just isnt good on a mech, for me. I have to squonk about every one or two hits to avoid dry hits. I think it's just too much power going into the mesh.

I'm going to cut the sides down a little to try to get to .25ish and try again. So far, when I don't get dry hits, it isn't bad. Hopefully raising the ohms will do the trick.

If you have to squonk that often then your wick is probably not getting fully saturated. It's all about the wicking in mesh RDA/RTA gear, but the Profiles make it as easy as it gets to wick right in the world of Mesh RDA's with their spring loaded decks. As a comparison you might check out the endless wicking suggestions on threads here about other mesh RDA's that can be harder to get right (Vandy Vape Mesh RDA, Digiflavor Mesh Pro, etc), AND the wicking alternatives being used in them by others who use them. Just like with coil builds there are early warning signs with mesh builds before dry hits that the wicking needs more joose.

As for power on mechs, 5 of my 9 are on Reo P67's that hit at around 98W with full charge batts. I get at least a dozen plus DLH pulls before I even start to think about re squonking them, and the flavor/vapor of my DIY's in them is stellar (it's a given that I like low sub ohm builds though and mix my DIY's for them).

Luck with your Profile...

profileP67ss.jpg

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If you have to squonk that often then your wick is probably not getting fully saturated. It's all about the wicking in mesh RDA/RTA gear, but the Profiles make it as easy as it gets to wick right in the world of Mesh RDA's with their spring loaded decks. As a comparison you might check out the endless wicking suggestions on threads here about other mesh RDA's that can be harder to get right (Vandy Vape Mesh RDA, Digiflavor Mesh Pro, etc), AND the wicking alternatives being used in them by others who use them. Just like with coil builds there are early warning signs with mesh builds before dry hits that the wicking needs more joose.

As for power on mechs, 5 of my 9 are on Reo P67's that hit at around 98W with full charge batts. I get at least a dozen plus DLH pulls before I even start to think about re squonking them, and the flavor/vapor of my DIY's in them is stellar.

Luck with your Profile...

View attachment 820185

My wicks were good, and well saturated. I made sure they were soaking wet before transferring to my mech. I use rayon, and I used 1 & 1/2 (maybe a touch more) of strips of rayon and made sure it was nice and snug against the mesh with no gaps or voids. I rewicked it again before trimming the mesh too, to make sure that wasn't an issue.

Now that I trimmed the mesh and wicked it the same way, it's going strong. Flavor is about the same as my venna, krma, and gr1 which is very good. It has a little more airflow than I prefer, but nothing ridiculous. I do have the top row shut down. I can get used to it I'm sure.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
And I wanted to throw this out there just in case someone else tries it.

If you trim up the wotofo mesh strips that come with the profile, make sure to trim both sides. If you only trim one side, the mesh does not heat evenly. There is a sort of spine (thin metal strip with no holes in it) on both sides. If you only trim off one side, the opposite side will heat up faster than the trimmed side.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Glad you’re enjoying the Profile. I also use rayon and 1 and a half strips is what works perfectly for me as well. Just thought I’d put that out there in case anyone else wants to try it with rayon and wants to know how much to use.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I just unroll an organic cotton ball, fold it in half to double its thickness, and pull it under the mesh. I use the angle cut on the wick - snip and tuck is much easier and faster than the trim, comb, trim, comb, trim, comb, trim, tuck method. I'm tired just typing it.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
3/4 of a Muji pad, outer layers removed and lightly rolled. Cut flush with the deck, no combing but fluffing to remove any compression from the cut. Tuck into the deck and juice her up.

Usually change flavours frequently which dictates a rewick (for me), but I have found great longevity with this method.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I just unroll an organic cotton ball, fold it in half to double its thickness, and pull it under the mesh. I use the angle cut on the wick - snip and tuck is much easier and faster than the trim, comb, trim, comb, trim, comb, trim, tuck method. I'm tired just typing it.

Can relate. I started out using CBV2 pulled and rolled cotton in mine, then p&r KGD. Use Firebolt's in both my WPM's and WPU's now days... no grooming needed, as easy as it gets.

• Informative
Reactions: madstabber

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
Seems i am part of the mesh club now :)
I have read thru a couple of msg on this thread so just want to make sure, how much of cotton bacon v2 or prime should i use ? A whole "stick" like one roll or more or less ?
Thanks in advance

View attachment 820585
Seems i have to answer myself :blush:
Thru trail and error found the answer, about half a strip in thickness of one strip of cotton bacon prime thru a ofrf nexMesh.

With this wick i can do about 5 drags on 50w about 3.5-4.5 sec.
Or about 2 drags on 70w about 2 sec before i have to squonk, just tried 70w to see what it can do, i only smoke on 50w like it there.

I prefer fruit flavors on my zeus x taste better than on the mesh, but very sweet flavors like smores or cotton candy the profile rules over the zeus x !

Must say the last 2 days i experienced what everyone said about mesh dry hits is the worst :(

E0619281-B0F6-48D8-A329-40AFEA588E0E.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread