Status
Not open for further replies.

Dconnor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Las Vegas
I have been wicking with rayon using the 45 deg angle cut that I have seen recommended. I have been getting some singed pieces on the top of the wick where it is cut short and tight to the mesh. Not enough to give an off taste, but over time it is definitely singed.

I have been squonking more than normal to keep the top of the wick wet, but obviously not quite enough. After thinking about it some, I decided to try to cut the wick differently. I figured the bottom of the wick is getting plenty of liquid, but was not getting the top to wick efficiently.

I rewicked and cut the wick on the bottom as tight to the base of the deck (close to the ceramic spring loaded piece) as I could. I then left the top half of the wick longer, and draped over the short cut bottom half. Tucked the longer top tails into the deck, primed and vaped away. Essentially opposite of how I’ve Ben cutting it. I am getting much better flow to the top of the wick now, and singing is gone.

Been using this wick since Friday night, and think it’s going to work better for me. Don’t have to hold the squonk as long, and my wick is definitely transporting the liquid to the top of the wick and mesh better.

• Useful
Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I have been wicking with rayon using the 45 deg angle cut that I have seen recommended. I have been getting some singed pieces on the top of the wick where it is cut short and tight to the mesh. Not enough to give an off taste, but over time it is definitely singed.

I have been squonking more than normal to keep the top of the wick wet, but obviously not quite enough. After thinking about it some, I decided to try to cut the wick differently. I figured the bottom of the wick is getting plenty of liquid, but was not getting the top to wick efficiently.

I rewicked and cut the wick on the bottom as tight to the base of the deck (close to the ceramic spring loaded piece) as I could. I then left the top half of the wick longer, and draped over the short cut bottom half. Tucked the longer top tails into the deck, primed and vaped away. Essentially opposite of how I’ve Ben cutting it. I am getting much better flow to the top of the wick now, and singing is gone.

Been using this wick since Friday night, and think it’s going to work better for me. Don’t have to hold the squonk as long, and my wick is definitely transporting the liquid to the top of the wick and mesh better.
I cut my wick with the 45 degree method but the reverse of how you were doing it and similar to how you do it now. Basically so the top rayon is longest and the bottom shortest. So same concept just a little less work I’m guessing. No issues doing it this way, seems to wick efficiently and most important, no dry hits.

Reactions: Dconnor

Dconnor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Las Vegas
I cut my wick with the 45 degree method but the reverse of how you were doing it and similar to how you do it now. Basically so the top rayon is longest and the bottom shortest. So same concept just a little less work I’m guessing. No issues doing it this way, seems to wick efficiently and most important, no dry hits.

Yeah it’s working much better for me this way. I had seen a couple videos showing to cut it with the top being short. It wicks to the top better with the longer tails on top.

• Agree
Reactions: madstabber

Dr. Kimble

Dec 23, 2018
UK
Unless something rather spectacular happens in 2019 this rda is going to remain top for me, personally. The flavour is so clean and crisp.

Not sure who mentioned about sweet liquids not gunking things up but can definitely confirm. Hate to sound like such a fanboy but if you're here and you're thinking of getting one...do it.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Unless something rather spectacular happens in 2019 this rda is going to remain top for me, personally. The flavour is so clean and crisp.

Not sure who mentioned about sweet liquids not gunking things up but can definitely confirm. Hate to sound like such a fanboy but if you're here and you're thinking of getting one...do it.

Fanboy? I started with 1 just over a month ago….now own 7 – one for each day. :D

I find the mesh does gunk up with certain juices, but no where near as extreme as a regular coil. also amazed at how long the cotton lasts (sans dry burns)

Dr. Kimble

Dec 23, 2018
UK
Fanboy? I started with 1 just over a month ago….now own 7 – one for each day. :D

I find the mesh does gunk up with certain juices, but no where near as extreme as a regular coil. also amazed at how long the cotton lasts (sans dry burns)

My 2nd is on the way...you going for the whole range? :pervy:
Yeah, the cotton lasts an age. I had a few dry burns when I first got it because I'm still using the old pulse bf and the soft bottle didn't make easy work of getting a good amount of juice into that compressed cotton.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
My 2nd is on the way...you going for the whole range? :pervy:
Yeah, the cotton lasts an age. I had a few dry burns when I first got it because I'm still using the old pulse bf and the soft bottle didn't make easy work of getting a good amount of juice into that compressed cotton.

I avoided the gunmetal and blue. Have multiples of stainless and black, and a single gold and rainbow. And just took delivery of a SS 22mm cap…didn’t need it but why not! Now they just released a slew of new colours….I’ll need to buy more mods just to house them all!

Was hesitant about trying it out, my expectations were kinda low – but after that first hit….WOW, I was SOLD! Great RDA!

Dr. Kimble

Dec 23, 2018
UK
I avoided the gunmetal and blue. Have multiples of stainless and black, and a single gold and rainbow. And just took delivery of a SS 22mm cap…didn’t need it but why not! Now they just released a slew of new colours….I’ll need to buy more mods just to house them all!

Was hesitant about trying it out, my expectations were kinda low – but after that first hit….WOW, I was SOLD! Great RDA!

Curiously enough, the one I'm waiting on is gunmetal! Was torn between a few variants and just rolled the dice to choose.

& couldn't agree more...it's the first experience with mesh I've had and it's phenomenal.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
mech Pulse BF; also waiting for the VW Pulse X

Interesting. Tried the Profile with the Wotofo 0.18 ohm mesh on a unregulated device. I seemed too uncontrollable for a lack of better terminology. I do have some Vandy Vape mesh, have yet to try that on a unregulated.

• Agree
Reactions: Dr. Kimble

Dr. Kimble

Dec 23, 2018
UK
Interesting. Tried the Profile with the Wotofo 0.18 ohm mesh on a unregulated device. I seemed too uncontrollable for a lack of better terminology. I do have some Vandy Vape mesh, have yet to try that on a unregulated.

Yep, it's unruly on a fresh battery; have to pay attention and make sure it's soaked...but it settles into a great vape. It's better on a regulated mod...frankly I just like the pulse enough to deal :D

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yep, it's unruly on a fresh battery; have to pay attention and make sure it's soaked...but it settles into a great vape. It's better on a regulated mod...frankly I just like the pulse enough to deal :D

I tried on a Reload squonker – unregulated but with all the fancy protection circuitry. Didn’t commit enough to see how it would settle in once the batteries drained a bit. Also own the BF, perhaps I’ll give it another shot - but that might just lead to purchasing more Profiles!! :D

• Agree
Reactions: Dr. Kimble

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I gave it a quick try in a mech, then backed off, lol.
It's running on my ONE regulated mod pretty nicely though!

I will try again - I just got a second one. Blue. It sadly clashes with all 3 of my blue mods tho, but fortunately, I also have an extra SS cap, lol.

I am planning on advice I got somewhere around here to trim the coil lengthwise, thus increasing the resistance - update- just did this, and it's at 0.27 now, unfired. That might hit 0.3 all wicked and wet, so I am hopeful.

Out of time, but will report back later!

Dr. Kimble

Dec 23, 2018
UK
I gave it a quick try in a mech, then backed off, lol.
It's running on my ONE regulated mod pretty nicely though!

I will try again - I just got a second one. Blue. It sadly clashes with all 3 of my blue mods tho, but fortunately, I also have an extra SS cap, lol.

I am planning on advice I got somewhere around here to trim the coil lengthwise, thus increasing the resistance - update- just did this, and it's at 0.27 now, unfired. That might hit 0.3 all wicked and wet, so I am hopeful.

Out of time, but will report back later!

Interesting! Definitely report back, got me super curious now...hadn't heard/thought of trimming the mesh.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I'm just the opposite,i prefer mine on a mech,the hit on a fresh battery is fantastic haha.
I'm in the multiples club here too haha.I have 4 now,and 2 more sitting in a cart getting ready to be ordered.After using my first one,i have no desire at all to even try any other rda's now,so i plan to put them on every squonk mod i own,which is probably 20 or so.
My son doesn't like rda's,he's strictly rta,but he tried my profile and really liked the flavor,so i got him a Digiflavor Themis mesh rta for Christmas,and he's hooked on mesh now too,so i will be stocking up on a lifetime supply of mesh very soon.I like the strips that come with the profile,so i have over 50 of those and plan to get at least 50 more,plus a few rolls of VV mesh,but will be adding to that too.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
So I have 6 profiles now with one more authentic on the way.

6 authentic and 1 clone. The clone came out on fast tech maybe a month ago? Pretty much the same as the authentic except the packaging is really crappy, you get way less accessories and the 1 piece of mesh they give you is weird. The springy insert is also a bit smaller then the original.

Thinking about branching out into some of the other mesh rdas. I saw a dual mesh rda on reddit that looks interesting.

At any rate, what's the rule of thumb for determining mesh resistance? And do you guys have a good consistent way of trimming it yet? Scissors are not perfect. I'm thinking maybe a small paper cutter or something.

So if we have mesh and it's length times width...

If we make the same piece shorter it decreases the resistance and if we make the same piece thinner it increases the resistance? Is that how it works. I haven't been able to make 2 coils of the same resistance since I started.

Also anyone else have any inconsistencies with the kanthal standard mesh? Mine ohm out between .18 and .24.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I ordered 2 more Profile's today. I'm adding a SS Matte and Alum Purple to the SS, GM and 2 Black one's I already have. They take the Mesh RDA's tally here up to 18 of them.

The purple will go on a purple DripTech DS dual parallel battery squonk mod in place of the purple Goon 1.5 it now runs. It ought to be the bees knees on that mod. Not sure where the SS Matte one will end up, but possibly on one of my Reo P67's. It it flies OK on it with the 18650 I may get 4 more of them for my other P67's (I also have 4 Reo 2015 Woodvil's they could go on as well). The downside of all that though is 6 Krytens, 8 Nuppin's and 7 Goon's would loose their only part time homes because I like the mesh RDA's better.

DT-DS-6sb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread