Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Want a good laugh I make chicken alfredo in the crockpot. Just add noodles later. Actually there isn't much I don't make in the crockpot. It is so HOT here in the summer using anything else just heats the house up too much.
Had chicken Alfredo for dinner last night. Pretty good!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Generally whenever the local PBS station has Celtic Women on it's begging week so its interrupted every 15 minutes for 10 minutes of begging. It's about time for the fall pledge drive now if I remember correctly. ;) I'm a supporting member of our local station. Have been for years. Lots of great programming but, with all the new cable networks NatGeo, etc. They give em a run for the money these days. Love me some This Old House Hour.
Yes, my PBS stations on DirecTv, both of them, had Downton Abbey, but the money beg seemed to be more like 25 minutes of begging per 5 minutes of programming.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Yes, my PBS stations on DirecTv, both of them, had Downton Abbey, but the money beg seemed to be more like 25 minutes of begging per 5 minutes of programming.
I have DirectTV in Virginia. Gives me two PBS stations, the local (Norfolk) one and the North Carolina one because upper NC is considered part of our viewing area. The Norfolk station is excellent. On party with the big players in Boston and San Francisco. The NC Staton not so much. NC stations are all one big system that broadcasts exactly the same thing no matter where you are in North Carolina. It's run by the NC public colleges.
Down here in South Florida I have yet to figure out the PBS situation. Back in VA we also have two really good PBS radio stations with excellent coverage. One is all talk and the other is all music. The talk one is so good that I pretty much listen to it all the time. Doesn't even have so much of the typical PBS liberal leanings (No offense Bells). The stations down here are pretty much crap. I like all the news programs, fresh air, marketplace and such and can't find any of that. It's pretty much just locally produced crap leaning towards the Cuban and Jewish population. Guess they know their market but, it ain't me. I use the Tune In Radio app on my cell phone to listen to the Norfolk PBS station.
If your not familiar with Tune In Radio, if a station stream simulcast over the Internet you can listen to them. Podcasts too. Great app. We listened to WHRV all the way from Virginia to here on the last trip. I have my phone tied into the car stereo via Bluetooth. Works really well.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I have DirectTV in Virginia. Gives me two PBS stations, the local (Norfolk) one and the North Carolina one because upper NC is considered part of our viewing area. The Norfolk station is excellent. On party with the big players in Boston and San Francisco. The NC Staton not so much. NC stations are all one big system that broadcasts exactly the same thing no matter where you are in North Carolina. It's run by the NC public colleges.
Down here in South Florida I have yet to figure out the PBS situation. Back in VA we also have two really good PBS radio stations with excellent coverage. One is all talk and the other is all music. The talk one is so good that I pretty much listen to it all the time. Doesn't even have so much of the typical PBS liberal leanings (No offense Bells). The stations down here are pretty much crap. I like all the news programs, fresh air, marketplace and such and can't find any of that. It's pretty much just locally produced crap leaning towards the Cuban and Jewish population. Guess they know their market but, it ain't me. I use the Tune In Radio app on my cell phone to listen to the Norfolk PBS station.
If your not familiar with Tune In Radio, if a station stream simulcast over the Internet you can listen to them. Podcasts too. Great app. We listened to WHRV all the way from Virginia to here on the last trip. I have my phone tied into the car stereo via Bluetooth. Works really well.
Liberal leanings ARE truthful, honest and full of integrity, didn't you know?

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Fellow by the name of Jesus threw the money-lenders out, healed the sick, fed the poor. Sounds sorta liberal to me.... :shock:
What? Didn't try to get rid of the refugees who were fleeing oppression? My, my. not sure if the majority of this group cottons to tolerance and compassion.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
On PBS and NPR .. while the subsidy from Uncle Sam is miniscule as it relates to the budget in general, both of these incredibly worthy parts of our Culture, that have contributed so much to so many lives over the years, regularly come under budget cut scrutiny .. and it's a sad state of affairs, mainly driven by the "low hanging fruit" mentality and the ability for a Politician to crow about taking a hard line and "cutting the fat" .. I'm not going to spiel off the programs that many here have watched, or the childrens programming, or the concerts, or the aid to Teachers done directly, etc ..

In addition, I see no difference in this and the School Music programs that continuously come under budgetary fire .. the Arts are our culture, they should be nurtured and cared for .. they are as important as, if not more so, than Sports programs in schools ..

On Spousal Gifts .. I gave my first wife a blender for our first Anniversary .. at the time, a blender seemed somewhat of a luxury item and I thought it a nice gift .. she, not so much .. ;)

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Scott and Amy .. thank you very much for the Sale info :

EVOD Smokey QuickStart Kit

I went ahead and ordered 20 yesterday .. some to replace my old batteries and Evods and some to hand off to folks as a gift .. although the coupon code did not work, that's still fine with me .. ecigexpress still shows stock available and this has to be the Deal of the Month ..

Feel free to tip me off whenever you like on excellent deals as it relates to the PV / Liquid as I don't spend much time shopping .. :)

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
Oh no! Didn't know that. Do you know how long ago they changed?
Sorry, I don't know the exact date. I was told that by a good friend who went and researched it after I told him it was the best one to buy. they are STILL a quality mixer, but stop and think about it....from a business standpoint.......if they build them to last forever.....how many new ones will they sell? ;)

On Spousal Gifts .. I gave my first wife a blender for our first Anniversary .. at the time, a blender seemed somewhat of a luxury item and I thought it a nice gift .. she, not so much .. ;)

I won't go into my whole rant on gifts here....whether for a spouse or anyone....a true gift is freely given, comes from the open heart of the one making the gift, with no strings attached.....no thought of recompense. It is not given because it was asked for or demanded. To fault any gift, large or small, whether it be a gesture or something tangible, speaks poorly of the recipient.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I won't go into my whole rant on gifts here....whether for a spouse or anyone....a true gift is freely given, comes from the open heart of the one making the gift, with no strings attached.....no thought of recompense. It is not given because it was asked for or demanded. To fault any gift, large or small, whether it be a gesture or something tangible, speaks poorly of the recipient.

While I don't disagree, considered in the context of a young woman, I probably should have leaned toward something a bit more Romantic .. ;)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Talked to my CU this morning. The charges came thru my debit card. They are going to make me a new one when I go down to fill out the paperwork for the dispute. They say it will take 5-10 days to get my $$ back. All good except the 5 -10 days part.

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
While I don't disagree, considered in the context of a young woman, I probably should have leaned toward something a bit more Romantic .. ;)
Romantic is always nice....whether young or old(er) :D I will concede on that point

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Fellow by the name of Jesus threw the money-lenders out, healed the sick, fed the poor. Sounds sorta liberal to me.... :shock:

David .. As a Fan of Jesus the Man, not the myth, I find your post excellent on several different levels .. ;)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

... but ... but ... you can make Margarita's in a blender and couple that's down's a few of them ... well ... use your imagination on what can come from that. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread