Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Why should they worry about flavors enticing children? Children can't vape. They made it illegal. :rolleyes:

On September 22, 2009, FDA banned cigarettes with characterizing fruit, candy, and clove flavors -- cigarettes that have special appeal for children. The ban, authorized by the Family Smoking Prevention and tobacco Control Act, is part of a national effort by FDA to reduce smoking in America.

I'm sure BT supported this measure. Since menthol wasn't included, the banned would have little or no effect on their sales. Has anyone ever heard of a strawberry Marlboro?

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
as far as I know...no, you wont be deemed a criminal for possession or use of any of these products....it is the selling of that is the issue.....you could still make your own, and vape it all you want. They would have to add nicotine products to the controlled substance list to add criminal infraction for personal use to it.....and that is something the people who funded and pushed for all of this will never allow
Well, allow me to repeat an earlier request which was met with a resounding chorus of crickets: Could somebody please point me to any criminal statutes that apply? All I've found are civil sanctions and penalties.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Not yet, but I did find this:

Gutfeld has quite a library of pro-vape rants on YouTube.

I have much admiration for Gutfeld, partly because he is an outspoken advocate of vaping, but mostly because he gets paid big $ to look at and talk to Kimberly Guilfoyle for an hour every day.

I wish I could like this over and over.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
On September 22, 2009, FDA banned cigarettes with characterizing fruit, candy, and clove flavors -- cigarettes that have special appeal for children. The ban, authorized by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, is part of a national effort by FDA to reduce smoking in America.

I'm sure BT supported this measure. Since menthol wasn't included, the banned would have little or no effect on their sales. Has anyone ever heard of a strawberry Marlboro?

Imo, a variety of flavored cigarettes weren't ever popular, (before 2009 there were a few, but not from BT, just a couple boutique brands), because they emit hot, harsh smoke. The only flavor strong enough to taste through that is menthol.

Last edited:

absoluttalent

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Lombard, IL
On September 22, 2009, FDA banned cigarettes with characterizing fruit, candy, and clove flavors -- cigarettes that have special appeal for children. The ban, authorized by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, is part of a national effort by FDA to reduce smoking in America.

How does this apply to something like swisher sweets and those flavors? Pretty sure they had a grape.

I just placed my order for diy with 500mls of nicotine.

Reactions: kas122461

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Does anyone have any suggestions for places to gather statistics, about the number of people who started vaping, say before 2007, then between 2007 and now etc? I want to write an op-ed for my local newspaper. There are tons of smokers around here (rural, poor area) and few vapors. I would like to try and write a good piece to help educate my local community, and I'd like some statistics to more or less back up my point that the vaping boom happened because of the advancing technology and how these regs will snuff out the technology that is proven effective...
Hello my dear friend! If it helps, I began in January 2014 :)
I wish electronic cigs a long and happy life! ;)

Empress Kitty

Supreme Empress of Earth
ECF Veteran
seriously....haven't had a gig in FOREVER, and the work coming out right now.....is all unsuitable for me....artists really do starve :p
Hopefully you get SAG work soon though! I love seeing my friends on the screen! Besides you need to get a Bacon Score higher than mine!

Reactions: USMCotaku

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
No, they're FDA approved pharma products.

I'm aware of that, but it seems the lines are blurred. If e-cigs are now deemed a tobacco product because they facilitate the use of nicotine - a tobacco product - couldn't the argument be made that NRT products do as well? That seems to me as less of a stretch than deeming 0mg e-liquid as a tobacco product.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm aware of that, but it seems the lines are blurred. If e-cigs are now deemed a tobacco product because they facilitate the use of nicotine - a tobacco product - couldn't the argument be made that NRT products do as well? That seems to me as less of a stretch than deeming 0mg e-liquid as a tobacco product.
The deeming regulations specifically exclude FDA approved NRT products.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I'm waiting for Joe….gimme the happy news, I need some happy news…….

And does anyone know how this FDA thing is going to succeed when they lost the lawsuit re nicotine shipments into the USA last time round?
I'm pretty sure that nicotine was around before 2007, as were a lot of e-juices ….from China. So China's vaping industry with its sometime dubious ingredients will be A-OK but American companies that care about quality, provide jobs and pay taxes will be outta business. Yeah FDA bozos, that makes a lotta sense. I've seen a bucket o'cesspit sludge with more brainpower than they have - and the sludge is undoubtedly purer.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Imo, a variety of flavored cigarettes weren't ever popular, (before 2009 there were a few, but not from BT, just a couple boutique brands), because they emit hot, harsh smoke. The only flavor strong enough to taste through that is menthol.

The flavors I tried were awful. I'm sure taste is why flavored cigarettes weren't a big part of the market. In banning them the FDA could say they protected the children when the ban didn't do anything but cut out a niche market that probably wasn't doing well anyway.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
I believe it's because cigars were not subject to the FSPTCA yet.
Just like electronic cigarettes.

Now they are.

DC2 is right, they are "cigarillos" (small cigars) and were not originally included under the FSPTCA and hence not under FDA regulatory control.... so flavors were allowed.

And yes, now they are, so I assume the flavor bans now apply to them as well.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
In all fairness, it's not the doctors, it's the bureaucrats from the 3-letter agencies. They don't really represent American physicians, unfortunately... They just follow orders from the mother ship--HHS, CDC etc., who, in turn, take their orders from the Administration that appointed them. It's a shame. People like Sylvia Burwell, Tom Frieden, Margaret Hamburg (and now Califf) are nothing but apparatchiks with no imagination and no courage.
Yes, but like the RCP better than the AMA.

Reactions: Katya

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Great Idea. I'd like to see this on a Highway Billboard in Every Major City...

release_logo.gif

THE-UONWebsite-Homepage-TileFeature-246x143_02.jpg

upload_2016-5-6_16-25-3-jpeg.551679

checkbox-on-1-01-128.png

download.jpg

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm waiting for Joe….gimme the happy news, I need some happy news…….

And does anyone know how this FDA thing is going to succeed when they lost the lawsuit re nicotine shipments into the USA last time round?
The were seizing shipments on the basis of being an unapproved drug delivery device.
Judge Leon shot them down by saying they were NOT drug delivery devices.

Now that they have been deemed a tobacco product...
They are now an unapproved tobacco product...

The deeming regulations spell out how to go about getting approved.
And the time frame for doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread