Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Naw, lighter fluid burn over your whole body would not be a good thing - Turpentine???
Aha! I think I'm picking up on the idea that the Turpentine is applied to the body. And there I was, thinking is should be put on the plants as an off label herbicide.

Thanks for the clarification, Semi.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Mercurochrome OMG that stuff hurt worse than the wound.

Well, its main purpose was to remind you to be more careful - next time. I checked - it is still available on the market and is still marketed for the same things... Can't possibly hold a large market square...

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Mercurochrome is a trade name for merbromin, a compound containing mercury and bromine. Merthiolate is a trade name for thimerosal, a compound containing mercury and sodium.

Both these compounds kill some (but not all) disease-causing microbes by denaturing enzymes and other proteins so that the microbes' metabolism is blocked; they do this by breaking up chemical bonds in the proteins.

Both have been widely used as topical antiseptics, applied to the surface of the skin of a living body. Thimerosal is still often used to help rid skin of bacteria before medical procedures. Mercurochrome is not widely used anymore.

Both Mercurochrome and Merthiolate (and iodine preparations, too) sting when applied to broken skin and can interfere with healing. Experts now recommend that first aid kits contain newer antibacterial creams, especially those containing bacitracins, a class of antibacterials first produced by other microorganisms.

Mecuricome is a dark red topical antiseptic containing mercury. Before the proliferation of over the counter first aid medicines, and FDA regulations which stopped its manufacture, Mecuricome was used throughout the world to treat minor cuts, scrapes, sores, and other external infectious conditions. The liquid was only sold in small quantities, since one application by Q-tip was extremely effective.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
Well, its main purpose was to remind you to be more careful - next time. I checked - it is still available on the market and is still marketed for the same things... Can't possibly hold a large market square...

The stuff called Mercurochrome sold in the US today isn't the same as back in the day. It doesn't contain mercury anymore. At least not made in the USA stuff the FDA went after them. You can still find it online but not sure I want to trust it.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
Interesting read Matt. Same as thimerosal? That's the preservative in vaccines everyone blames for causing autism. The way our parents bathed our ouchies with it it's a wonder our whole generation isn't afflicted. :confused:

then again it might explain a lot of what's going on in our country now

Disclaimer Please know I do know autism is a very real condition. Probably not more common today just better diagnosed, like many types of conditions.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Mercurochrome is a trade name for merbromin, a compound containing mercury and bromine. Merthiolate is a trade name for thimerosal, a compound containing mercury and sodium.

Both these compounds kill some (but not all) disease-causing microbes by denaturing enzymes and other proteins so that the microbes' metabolism is blocked; they do this by breaking up chemical bonds in the proteins.

Both have been widely used as topical antiseptics, applied to the surface of the skin of a living body. Thimerosal is still often used to help rid skin of bacteria before medical procedures. Mercurochrome is not widely used anymore.

Both Mercurochrome and Merthiolate (and iodine preparations, too) sting when applied to broken skin and can interfere with healing. Experts now recommend that first aid kits contain newer antibacterial creams, especially those containing bacitracins, a class of antibacterials first produced by other microorganisms.

Mecuricome is a dark red topical antiseptic containing mercury. Before the proliferation of over the counter first aid medicines, and FDA regulations which stopped its manufacture, Mecuricome was used throughout the world to treat minor cuts, scrapes, sores, and other external infectious conditions. The liquid was only sold in small quantities, since one application by Q-tip was extremely effective.

Whoa! And what motel did you sleep in last night to become an SME on these compounds. Good post Matt :thumb:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Aveno makes an oatmeal powder you put in your bathwater. It works on eczema, hives, & allergic reactions. Benedryl makes a cleat anti-itch gel that comes in a bottle. Something bit me on the leg last week. Actually it chewed it's way in a wavy path up my calf & then sat in one sopt j munched awhile. I didn't know until it got to the munching part Never saw what it was, but the gel worked on the itch. It has a smell to it, tho. Like ben gay or something.
Ewww!
I got a case of shingles after my heart attack. It was located on my chest along what my doctor called the Bra Line. I have never experienced such pain from a rash. A friend of my wives recommended Olive Seed Extract. We picked up a small pump spray bottle at Whole Foods. It was packaged as providing relief for a sore throat. I sprayed directly on the site and also sprayed it on a gauze bandage lightly covering the site. It provided me immediate relief. I haven't gotten poison ivy since I was a teenager but I am sure the Olive Seed Extract would work with poison ivy, too.
Technu, cortisone creams, oatmeal baths and calamine lotions are a waste of money for my poison ivy woes. There is only one thing that I use to quickly and efficiently remove the urushiol oils from my skin. GoJo Fast Orange hand Cleaner. Available at any auto parts store or Walmart. It's cheap and works .
When I feel an itch I scrub the area three times with Fast Orange, most of the of time the itch will return in about 12 hours so I scrub again. After a day or two I only have to scrub the area once a day for the next 2 or 3 days to remove the remaining oils that resurface.
Left untreated my allergic reaction will last for weeks on end so the GoJo has been a God Send for me.
That said, preventative washings have been the most effective way to control my sensitivity to urushiol. If I even think I've come in contact with the nasty stuff I wash with GoJo and never see the rash.
You can thank me in less than a week when your rash is completely gone.;)
Man, my Uncle had shingles and if that stuff helped with Shingles - I am keeping this note in my forever file for future use - hope I never need it, but if I do or someone I knows does we gonna try it...
GoJo and Olive Seed Extract. Noted.

I'm with you, Semi. I've heard Shingles is pretty horrible. I hope I never have need. But, I am taking notes, just in case.
At least you didn't get Herculiner on your hootus.

(Pure gold from 2000.)
Hilarious!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I've been having a seriously nice summer so far... it started two or three days ago, didn't it? I missed seeing the announcements on the TV, or on Google, that accompany each solstice and equinox. I'm sure there must have been such announcements for the beginning of Summer 2017 but I obviously wasn't paying attention.

A few days ago my central heat and air went out. "A few", in this case, means 160, because it was the middle of January when it stopped working. Do I know the ins and outs of my system?... no, but I know the fan that pushes the air was what stopped working. The thing I didn't know was whether there is more than one fan. An intensive 2-minute examination of the system, which is a heat pump system, took me less than 3 months to complete. I came to the possibly correct conclusion that the fan in the outdoor unit of the system is the one and only fan.

Whenever I attempt to turn on the heat, the a/c or "fan only" with the switches on the thermostat, there is a buzz like the fan wants to start, but it doesn't. Meanwhile, I got through the cold months with a couple of electric portable heaters. I got the first one from Lowes and the second one from major river in South America called Amazon.

It was definitely better to not use the central heat anyway, because there was a critter or critters wintering under my floor. Squirrels or a cat, I think. I thought it or they had actually chewed into the heating ducts, because I would hear them clawing, running, and scratching very loudly right next to the floor vents, and almost every night I was sure I'd catch sight of the intruder by peering down through the louvered vent grate openings in the bathroom, bedroom and living room. Now, though, since I've never spotted the varmint, I'm thinking it made entry holes in the plastic sheathing and is living in the nice, thick fluffy insulation.

End of Installment One... writing is hard! Installment Two will be here after I'm sufficiently rejuvenated. :thumb:

Last edited:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I'm so far behind so I'm just going to jump in here and go back and try to catch up. Gotta go in and get dressed soon because we're going to a strawberry festival!

Everyone is entitled to their "druthers", but.....for those who dislike liver there was another main dish served as well, so nobody had cause to go hungry... Janet made a pasta dish that evening for those who chose to opt out of liver and onions...;)

Ugh, I left the pasta cook too long while gabbing and it turned mushy! So sad because it really is delicious when made properly.

Well waiting for the VA to call me to see if I can continue seeing the same doc. He can do the PETscan, his office is a one stop place, has everything to follow cancer. Talked to my PCP on the outside and she said they want to do this to rule out anything and covers much more then just the lungs, the reason she thinks they want me to see the Social Worker is because I have so many things going on they just want to talk to me and see how I am handling it. They don't know me, sure it gets to me but I am still trying to have the attitude play the hand your dealt. I get scared but I try not to give up. Not worth it although it sometimes requires a little help but try to keep positve.

That's why so many of us admire you so much - your attitude is amazing. You're right, just gotta deal with what you're dealt and you are truly inspiring. You should let the social worker come though, because they may be able to suggest things that might help. Still got the prayers coming!!

Well things keep getting better and better. Evidently the VA is working with a Thoracic surgeon in Seattle and he is the one that wants the PETscan and Pulmonary Function test. They want to see if these nodules need to be removed if the do they want to do it in Seattle, which I am not too fond of the idea. They also want to check from my Chin to my Knees. I put a call in to my regular doc and if this needs to be done if I could do it thru Medicare and be here where my Cardiologist is and my Heart Surgeon who is also a Thoracic Surgeon and know my heart. They didn't say anything about nicotine, I even asked but have to have only meat or green veggies the night before and 1/2 cup of black coffee. I told them I vaped and said no problem. @MikeE3 . This is really getting kind of worriesome. They will even fly me and Ginny to Seattle and provide Lodging there. Still don't want to go away from home for it.

Wow, they'll fly you there? How long would you be gone?

As of today I am officially a welder
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Congratulations!! Good for you!!

@Mrs C Beautiful pups!!!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I've been having a seriously nice summer so far... it started two or three days ago, didn't it? I missed seeing the announcements on the TV, or on Google, that accompany each solstice and equinox. I'm sure there must have been such announcements for the beginning of Summer 2017 but I obviously wasn't paying attention.

A few days ago my central heat and air went out. "A few", in this case, means 160, because it was the middle of January when it stopped working. Do I know the ins and outs of my system?... no, but I know the fan that pushes the air was what stopped working. The thing I didn't know was whether there is more than one fan. An intensive 2-minute examination of the system, which is a heat pump system, took me less than 3 months to complete. I came to the possibly correct conclusion that the fan in the outdoor unit of the system is the one and only fan.

Whenever I attempt to turn on the heat, the a/c or "fan only" with the switches on the thermostat, there is a buzz like the fan wants to start, but it doesn't. Meanwhile, I got through the cold months with a couple of electric portable heaters. I got the first one from Lowes and the second one from major river in South America called Amazon.

It was definitely better to not use the central heat anyway, because there was a critter or critters wintering under my floor. Squirrels or a cat, I think. I thought it or they had actually chewed into the heating ducts, because I would hear them clawing, running, and scratching very loudly right next to the floor vents, and almost every night I was sure I'd catch sight of the intruder by peering down through the louvered vent grate openings in the bathroom, bedroom and living room. Now, though, since I've never spotted the varmint, I'm thinking it made entry holes in the plastic sheathing and is living in the nice, thick fluffy insulation.

End of Installment One... writing is hard! Installment Two will be here after I'm sufficiently rejuvenated. :thumb:

Ummm, have you considered calling someone to come and actually fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread