Blatant Disrespect IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
So a topic that a lot of people have issues with is vaping in public.

Even though vaping is totally less dangerous that smoking analogs, why do people choose to push buttons and vape in public places like stores and malls, where SMOKING is prohibited? If there is an ecig policy in the public store that is one thing but I highly doubt that some of the vapers I am talking about actually know if the store or public place has such a policy. If they dont, it isnt an excuse to just do it anyways.

My personal opinion is if you cant smoke somewhere, you shouldnt vape there either. Its more of a respect issue, and while vaping is still in the baby stages, it becomes more obvious every day that people view them almost the same as analogs and treat them as such. Hell, politicians trying to ban them are using fear saying they are more dangerous than analogs.

I feel like certain vapers need to respect the boundaries until it is more mainstream and understood just like analogs are, and by walking around walmart vaping, they give the rest of us a bad rap. It makes vapers look like a bunch of punks that do whatever they want.

What are your opinions on this one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Smoking was banned due to the inherent threat of public safety (i.e. second hand smoke and cancer). How do these threats relate to vaping? Answer is zilch.

As a conscientious vaper, I vape in public, but I do so with regard for others' comfort. I don't do it blatantly or with any disrespect. If (it's never happened yet) I'm ever asked to refrain, I would oblige after passing some information on to the requesting party.

If we don't do it in public, we have no grounds to stand for the cause to be able to use our harmless devices as we wish.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
So a topic that a lot of people have issues with is vaping in public.

Even though vaping is totally less dangerous that smoking analogs, why do people choose to push buttons and vape in public places like stores and malls, where SMOKING is prohibited? If there is an ecig policy in the public store that is one thing but I highly doubt that some of the vapers I am talking about actually know if the store or public place has such a policy. If they dont, it isnt an excuse to just do it anyways.

My personal opinion is if you cant smoke somewhere, you shouldnt vape there either. Its more of a respect issue, and while vaping is still in the baby stages, it becomes more obvious every day that people view them almost the same as analogs and treat them as such. Hell, politicians trying to ban them are using fear saying they are more dangerous than analogs.

I feel like certain vapers need to respect the boundaries until it is more mainstream and understood just like analogs are, and by walking around walmart vaping, they give the rest of us a bad rap. It makes vapers look like a bunch of punks that do whatever they want.

What are your opinions on this one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
First off...IT AIN'T SMOKING

Do people get their panties in a wad over people using other alternative nicotine delivery methods like patches or gums...how about those people who use the misters for ashma? What about inconsiderate people that blow atomized poo in the air for all to smell?

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"

I gave 6 years of my life to this country, and wrote a check for "upto and including my life" for those asshats to have the freedom to have a choice even if that choice is 100% wrong...

998631_689110427781111_1275327200_n.jpg

It's people like you that made "open carry" a taboo

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Some people don't know what's respectful and what's not. Then there's those that don't care. I don't have an issue vaping on the sidewalk while walking but it can be distracting to others if I'm vaping in a crowded bus with 100%VG liquid. If it's going to bother someone, then it shouldn't be done. But this is the way it's supposed to be for EVERYTHING.

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
First off...IT AIN'T SMOKING

Do people get their panties in a wad over people using other alternative nicotine delivery methods like patches or gums...how about those people who use the misters for ashma? What about inconsiderate people that blow atomized poo in the air for all to smell?

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"

I gave 6 years of my life to this country, and wrote a check for "upto and including my life" for those asshats to have the freedom to have a choice even if that choice is 100% wrong...

998631_689110427781111_1275327200_n.jpg

It's people like you that made "open carry" a taboo

I served three years, and I think you misunderstood. Im not saying walking down a sidewalk and vaping is wrong in anyway, all I was meaning is that there are those people that say .... it, just because its not smoking I can do it whenever and wherever I want. Gum and patches dont put out clouds of vapor and dont LOOK like smoking, so those are a totally different story which is why I did not bring them into my post. Ive never seen the misters in use but I assume they are similar to an asthma inhaler so most wouldnt notice the difference.

E cigs, like it or not, act like the real thing, minus the nasty bad chemicals in analogs. All I am saying is that until there is a broader understanding of what it is and what it does, people should be more respectful. I have seen countless threads of people saying how they walked around a store vaping, and the way they explain it makes it seem like they were hoping for a confrontation. They are pushing buttons and thats what gets .... banned.

I am all for public vaping, as long as it is not out of want for confrontation. The more people we piss of with public vaping in disrespectful ways, the more likely it will end up banned or severely regulated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

dring219

Verified Member
May 31, 2011
Knoxville , Tennessee USA
Thats the thing about vaping , loads of people blowing clouds , i cant stand that , i vape pretty much where i want and also when i want , i also use 80% pg 20% flavor mostly pg base also . so i dont hardly have any visible vapor in my exhale . Lots of people ask if my Vamo is an e-cig , then their next question is where are the clouds of vapor that they normally associate with vaping . Thats another small explanation about the content of e-liquids . As of now , i havent even been asked to stop vaping even in a Target , not that i go in our local one regularly , maybe twice since i started vaping . So , if you are being asked to NOT vape somewhere take a look at your VG content , you may wanna change that giant cloud to something thats not so visible . The cloud is what others dont want to see , thats what they associate with analogs .
I used a nicitrol inhaler for a while trying to quit many years ago . i got my nicotine to a point with that , and never asked NOT to use that in public . Hell all that was was a nicotine saturated cartridge that you kinda inhaled / sucked on till you didnt 'taste' the nicotine any longer .

Good luck . Wish everyone the best of luck vaping in public .

Last edited:

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
I do not in anyway find it disrespectful, Vaping is what the name implys, Vapor which dissipates quickly much faster than smoke. Although I don't vape in restaurants or really small shops, then again I also do not bring my V-life max with me which produces larger clouds of Vapor, it take cig-a-likes with me for short trips to the store etc so the form factor is small and the vapor production is no more that you would see from a analog, actually it is most less than an analog. I don't sit there and hit on it like a fiend either.

As was mentioned in a few of the responses, smoking was prohibited due to health issues. To many of our basic rights are being taken away as it is for no good reason and we sit by and let it happen. I had also spent 4 years in the Army to fight for this country and what is used to represent! Not going to get into all of that.

I will vape when and where I can but am respectful when it comes to places that I can honestly see where it could be bothersome to some but refuse to bend in places that are wide open and where not specifically stating that VAPING is NOT allowed.

Follow you own conscious and if you don't want to vape in public that's your choice, if you want to vape in public that is also your choice.

I mostly agree.
While vaping is substantially less harmful than smoking (yeah we still don't know in the long run the side effects blah blah yadda yadda), I think it's the fact people feel uncomfortable with the vapor. Maybe it's just a long-time adversity against it really (nobody cares at a concert or a halloween haunted house?), so even if it won't smell, smell well, or smell just a tiny bit, I guess people are scared of cancer or simply have that pre-disposition against it.

But of course one place I totally disrespect is a bar. I've only gone to a couple since I started vaping and nobody cares, which is cool because nothing it worse than drinking and not being able to vape (or smoke in the past, where I had to go outside every half an hour after the ban against smoking on public places here).

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
To many of our basic rights are being taken away as it is for no good reason and we sit by and let it happen.

I see this statement posted all the time, and I agree with it for the most part, but being able to vape on private property is not one of our rights. Businesses can make any rules they want, and we often get confused between the difference of what the government may be taking away (in terms of our rights) and what individual business owners are doing.

I never saw a big uproar from folks living in Arkansas, when shoes became mandatory in most retail/restaurant establishments.

I don't vape anywhere that people can't smoke, unless I know it's OK, but I understand that's just me. Drinking's legal too, and there's no side effects for second hand people in the vicinity, but I don't walk around Target drinking a can of beer either. It just doesn't seem appropriate to me to be using something that is designed for adults around kids (other peoples kids, specifically).

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I must lead a very sheltered life, haven't run into another vaper, much less someone blowing plumes of vapor in Target or Walmart. Not an issue for me, I can go quite a few hours without vaping without having a nicotine fit. Maybe it's because I've been vaping for over 1 1/2 years now. I do vape in my car, in the parking lot walking into stores, but put it away because I need my hands to push the cart and put stuff in it.

I don't think this is a problem, at least not that I can see.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
As long as people keep drawing a new line, we will be forever vaping in "their" space. It doesn't stop, unless WE stop it. If you don't like it, then take a step over and get out of my personal space that you really shouldn't be standing in in the first place. Where are YOUR manners?

You mind your manners, I'll mind mine.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I live is a fairly populated area. I do vape in public. I was vaping in Lowes just today and someone stoped me and said "hey, is that one of those e cig devices" ? I struck up a pleasant conversation and educated him a bit about it and even gave him the address of this forum....to help out his mother.

My interaction with strangers seems to always end in this manner. It has been posative so far. I am of the opinion that each of us are ambassadors for this "new way" to quit or enjoy ourselves without hurting others. If we dont test the waters occasionally, how will the public ever know except from those Blu commercials with a B actor with his collar rolled up like a gangster saying "we gotta take our freedom back" or what ever it is he says.

No, we need to be seen. Do we blow smoke in the publics face? I think not. Do we politely vape while looking at a weedeater inn Lowes ? I think so.

If a public buisness ever tells me that I cant smoke, i politely tell them " oh sure, Ill put it away if it bothers you (while putting it in my pocket), but you do know this is only vapor, right? ...... and then let the conversation get pleasant from there. Most people want to know more about it. They will usually ask you to take it out of your pocket and want to see it again....... Thats been my experiences

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
No no and no. First, your logic is way off base. Smoking is bad, vaping isn't, so it makes sense to ban vaping everywhere they ban smoking. :blink:

This has nothing to do with "respect." It's all about seeing how far we can dumb down the human race until extinction sets in. A brain is a terrible thing. And that's about as far as I want to go on yet another thread that has already beaten this topic to death. Unfortunately, not into extinction.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
No no and no. First, your logic is way off base. Smoking is bad, vaping isn't, so it makes sense to ban vaping everywhere they ban smoking. :blink:

This has nothing to do with "respect." It's all about seeing how far we can dumb down society until extinction sets in. A brain is a terrible thing. And that's about as far as I want to go on yet another thread that has aready beaten this topic to death. Unfortunately, not to extinction.

Wheres that Dead Horse when you need him ????

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
I see this statement posted all the time, and I agree with it for the most part, but being able to vape on private property is not one of our rights. Businesses can make any rules they want, and we often get confused between the difference of what the government may be taking away (in terms of our rights) and what individual business owners are doing.

I never saw a big uproar from folks living in Arkansas, when shoes became mandatory in most retail/restaurant establishments.

I don't vape anywhere that people can't smoke, unless I know it's OK, but I understand that's just me. Drinking's legal too, and there's no side effects for second hand people in the vicinity, but I don't walk around Target drinking a can of beer either. It just doesn't seem appropriate to me to be using something that is designed for adults around kids (other peoples kids, specifically).

I am in now way confused about where I can or cannot do something, I am fully aware of what a private business is versus a public place or one in which may need some permission.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I live is a fairly populated area. I do vape in public. I was vaping in Lowes just today and someone stoped me and said "hey, is that one of those e cig devices" ? I struck up a pleasant conversation and educated him a bit about it and even gave him the address of this forum....to help out his mother.

My interaction with strangers seems to always end in this manner. It has been posative so far. I am of the opinion that each of us are ambassadors for this "new way" to quit or enjoy ourselves without hurting others. If we dont test the waters occasionally, how will the public ever know except from those Blu commercials with a B actor with his collar rolled up like a gangster saying "we gotta take our freedom back" or what ever it is he says.

No, we need to be seen. Do we blow smoke in the publics face? I think not. Do we politely vape while looking at a weedeater inn Lowes ? I think so.

If a public buisness ever tells me that I cant smoke, i politely tell them " oh sure, Ill put it away if it bothers you (while putting it in my pocket), but you do know this is only vapor, right? ...... and then let the conversation get pleasant from there. Most people want to know more about it. They will usually ask you to take it out of your pocket and want to see it again....... Thats been my experiences

Well said.
This has been my experience mostly so far too. I've even had bystanders (outside event), compliment the flavor whenever they'd get a whiff. I've only 1 person so far, that disagreed with it, and it wasn't my vaping, or vapor. She stood there next to me for a good hour, until she caught a whiff of the banana flavoring (I had a mix of GJ in with my 555, for a nutty banana tobacco flavor), to which she said to her husband "oh no, I smell banana, I hate banana". SHE moved about 5' down the fence, and was very polite about it. She didn't expect ME to move, I was there in that spot first, and I was chain vaping so that everybody would see what their choice was should they choose to stand next to me instead of somewhere else on the 100 acre property. All was cool. She was great. Everybody was great. I switched my Viva with BB, in case the GJ banana was too strong for a crowd, I sure didn't want to bug anyone. That was the last thing I wanted. I don't want to bug others anymore than I want them bugging me.
One person did come up and ask me what the cool gadget was. It was so hard to keep my sentences short ans sweet. In fact, I'm sure I sounded like cavewoman, trying to edit my words before blabbering on... and on... and on.... about the eCig, eGo, VivaNova, ... you get the picture. :)
Another guy on the fence, next to me almost asked about it. He kept memorizing it, trying to read the icons, the size, the shape, everything about it. :) He was pleasantly surprised by the amount of vapor I was exhaling, and I was making it a point to blow it towards the empty trail on the other side of the chain link fence.

Another time, while standing outside a business, in the rain, blowing my vapor away from the business, (because I had a cold), a middle aged witch tried to intimidate me to see if she could bully me. Of course she could have, I wasn't feeling well. doh. I glared at her hard, and she turned tale and skidaddled finally. I'm surprised she didn't need surgery to have her hands removed from her hips.

One can tell the "mood" of the character approaching, speaking, ... and we are only human and respond according to our day and circumstances.

We're not animals, nor are we victims for bullies to have fun with. We are EX-smokers. Be proud. Be sensible. Just... BE. and maybe, someday, they'll finally set down their binoculars & let us be. Don't be bullied and don't be bullies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread