Blatant Disrespect IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
The "I can see it, so it bothers me" phenomenon reminds me of open carry laws. People freak out when they see a group of people quietly eating dinner with their holstered firearms. But I'd be a lot more worried about the guys carrying guns that I CAN'T see! LOL!

The point about exhaled breath - if people KNEW what they were inhaling they'd be just as freaked out. What we exhale contains formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and if you have fillings - even neurotoxic mercury vapor. The human breath contains upwards of 250 chemicals! ;)

Good point. Lol. They should be worried about us "non flaunting" vaperors! We're hiding and stealth vaping everywhere!

With all due respect, while that may be technically true, it's a huge stretch. CO2, and N2 are harmless inert gasses that already exist in air. And the amounts of formaldehyde, and mercury would be indetectable, unless you were able to collect and concentrate the breath for weeks, if that. Also, fillings don't necessarily emit vapors unless they are exposed/broken. Even then, water/saliva provides a barrier to mercury vaporization. Not to mention, one would have to breathe through an open mouth. Mercury is stored in fat. So you'd have to have an awful lot of stored mercury to start producing it as exhaled vapor at any detectable levels. If mercury fillings were that bad, all of us old people would've died a long time ago. Just sayin'.

best regards, larry mac

p.s., I like guns baby!

p.s.s., I'm more worried about people's farts than their breath! You are actually breathing their fecal molecules.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Way back then, they didn't have the lab tests, comparison charts, knowledge they do now.
Today, they do and the scientists compare their findings with cigarettes. It's unanamous, vaping is far far far safer than cigarettes.
Oh, also, the Robertson 1942 test on monkeys, the 1993 tests on mice, all show that pg is safe to inhale. (asthma inhalers appreciate this finding, for instance).
Flavors? Use at your own discretion.
Nicotine? Melts in your mouth, not in your lungs.

They also didn't have the internet.

Imagine if when cigarettes became commonplace there were as many forums, internet groups, etc., discussing every little symptom, dissecting every little detail of the ingredients, researching the existing studies on the chemicals found in smoke and reporting on the companies selling the products the way vapers do with their e-cigarettes!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Good point. Lol. They should be worried about us "non flaunting" vaperors! We're hiding and stealth vaping everywhere!

With all due respect, while that may be technically true, it's a huge stretch. CO2, and N2 are harmless inert gasses that already exist in air. And the amounts of formaldehyde, and mercury would be indetectable, unless you were able to collect and concentrate the breath for weeks, if that. Also, fillings don't necessarily emit vapors unless they are exposed/broken. Even then, water/saliva provides a barrier to mercury vaporization. Not to mention, one would have to breathe through an open mouth. Mercury is stored in fat. So you'd have to have an awful lot of stored mercury to start producing it as exhaled vapor. If mercury fillings were that bad, all of us old people would've died a long time ago. Just sayin'.

best regards, larry mac

p.s., I like guns baby!

Now you can see how silly it is when the ANTZ discuss the "toxic chemicals" found in vapor without admitting that the LEVELS found are harmless and that a lot of the same "toxic chemicals" are found in ambient air. ;)

PS. Both nitrogen and CO2 can reach toxic levels and kill humans. Just ask scuba divers. ;)

Last edited:

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Now you can see how silly it is when the ANTZ discuss the "toxic chemicals" found in vapor without admitting that the LEVELS found are harmless and that a lot of the same "toxic chemicals" are found in ambient air. ;)

PS. Both nitrogen and CO2 can reach toxic levels and kill humans. Just ask scuba divers. ;)

Well of course, if you displace the air you breathe with pure CO2, N2, or any other gas. But we were discussing people's breath. Don't forget, trees and plants breathe CO2. :2cool:

best regards, larry mac

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Well of course, if you displace the air you breathe with pure CO2, N2, or any other gas. But we were discussing people's breath. Don't forget, trees and plants breathe CO2. :2cool:

best regards, larry mac

The point was illustrating how silly their claims of "toxic chemicals" in e-cigarette vapor is - just as silly as discussing the "toxic chemicals" in our breath.

My dear Kristin,

You bolded your PS. Were you implying that I improperly used PS? Or, am I just inferring incorrectly? lol. :laugh:

best regards, larry mac
Not at all! I just bold things to make them more noticeable or for emphasis.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I don't know why there seems to be the need to develop a scientific case when it's really about either choosing to be considerate or not. The act of chewing gum loudly is disgusting to me. I don't care how harmless they prove the act to be. I don't care how many studies and charts they present to me. Chew gum with your friggin' mouth closed or get out of earshot!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
My father's parents smoked for 40 years. My grandmother died about 12 years ago, and spent the last 15 years of her life hauling an oxygen tank around. My grandfather was also on oxygen near the end, and he was DEFINITELY what you would consider an 'ANTZ'. His experiences made him that way. I would never have criticized his extreme anti-tobacco views, however. I just never vaped around him because I didn't want to upset him. Discounting his perspective would have been massively disrespectful, and also would've shown a lot of immaturity on my part. I guess I'm one of those rare people that doesn't think I'm the center of the universe.

So you were timid with regards to your own opinions and desires in regards to your elders. You're not the first and won't be the last. Some of us are less timid and yet still respectful.

What this post and all the ones calling for 'be respectful' and/or 'be considerate' are missing is the idea that the opposition is certainly not playing by that rule. If they were, I'd be allowed to smoke the cigarettes that I still choose to smoke, in certain locations. Instead, it is assume SHS is harmful and don't ask any questions on that, as we've all made up our mind on SHS. No respect, no consideration to be given there. Them the breaks. Deal with it.

Well, because I am likely to be only person not only in the room, but perhaps in my entire area that thinks SHS propaganda is not only blown way out of proportion but is, in essence, highly susceptible, I may not take up that cause in public. Then again, I might. Yet, with vaping, as Kristin is saying, it takes a particular breed of personality to say that also must not be allowed in public, out of respect. On this one, I will not play the timid game, especially as things politically are still up for discussion. And I will do what I can to make my points respectfully, but given the level of current discussion, if people are bringing up ANTZ logic and/or making passionate points about 'be considerate' I may go to another level that to some observers won't look pretty nor tame, but is what I see as par for the course. Essentially, opposition has gotten to a point with SHS where shouting down opponents and being blatantly disrespectful for all considerations to the contrary is deemed permissible. IOW, being a jerk towards smokers is now very okay.

Completely discounting the opposition's opinion is what zealots do. Granted there are plenty of anti-tobacco zealots, but the pro-ones are just as bad. There's an 'Original Sin' factor to consider here as well. The vast majority of us were smokers. We perpetuated a habit that we KNEW was harmful, but we were more concerned about getting our fix. Now that we've switched to something that's less harmful some of us are still in the junkie mindset of, "Don't mess with my addiction!". SMH.

Again, I am a smoker still, and prefer vaping. I'm also one who's gone cold turkey in my adult life for 8.5 years. So, I feel I truly understand perspective from all sides of this political issue. When I was non-smoker, I was a little ANTZ, but nowhere near what a) some ex-smokers now vapers are acting like and b) non-smokers who are clearly over the top with their rhetoric.

People in all walks of life enjoy getting a fix of some sort. If the term "junkie" is being thrown around loosely, then there are likely way way more junkies around us then some in this thread care to acknowledge as it may not serve their agenda.

Smoking does pose a degree of harm to it that vaping certainly does not appear to. But I'm the vaper in the room (or this thread) that will take issue with any vaper / ex-smoker who keeps harping on how awful, bad, stinky, rotten, immoral smoking is FOR THEM. And as I have the perspective within my experience of non-smoker, not getting the fix, I feel I have ways of understanding where they are coming from, but also quite able to discern when their rhetoric is over the top and, quite accurately, coming across as highly disrespectful.

Reality Check: It's a recreational habit. It's not the end of the world if they ban vaping in public places. I'm not even sure it SHOULD be fought against. There's no reason why we can't just vape in our homes and cars. Alcohol is restricted as far as where you can consume it. Why shouldn't other recreational chemicals?

Because we now live in a world where these recreational items are being stripped away from all possible choice for respectful usage. I cannot think of a substance currently that isn't heavily regulated and, in some cases, argued for public bans or even outright bans. Based on "for the children" nonsense and "because it is dangerous/harmful."

I feel bans in vast majority of cases are an unreasonable regulation, and will use reason, respect and courage to stand up to those who espouse that position of ban first and eh, maybe, if we're being nice, will consider some questions later.

Just as banning vaping in public is not the end of the world, so is vaping everywhere not the end of the world.
And as long as that is the two options currently on the table, I know which side I'd rather stand on.
Thank goodness reality allows for a happy medium that the truly respectful and truly considerate get without going into a hissy fit about their version of 'perceived harm.'

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I voluntarily abide by the rules imposed on analog smokers .. having lived in a state that has had smoking bans for many years, I would actually feel weird using a PV and exhaling a cloud as I sat at the bar of the local Applebees ..

I do, however, wish that woman sitting nearby would cut back on the perfume usage .. ;)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
It's just a little odd if you think about it.

It's considered an offense to smoke in public because even a little smoke can be physically irritating to the eyes and respiratory system, pungent and (supposedly) an actual health danger to others.

Vaping is none of those, but it's still an offense? And it can be unacceptable just because someone who is uneducated about vaping might be uncomfortable with just seeing it?

I cannot think of any other action where such a social expectation would be applied. Farting, cell phones, loud music or talking - those are all other examples of legal but socially unacceptable public behaviors which actually create a situation that is either physically offensive (odor) or disruptive (sound or visually blocking.)

The only time I can see the same standards applying to vapor would be in the front rows of a theater (distracting from the show), a particularly pungent vapor or so many vapers billowing clouds in a room that it becomes overpowering. In other words, if it is actually causing a disruption beyond it simply being a novelty or not understood.

I cannot think of anything else that is considered socially unacceptable or rude when it is not a health risk, doesn't create a foul odor, nor hampers another's ability to see or hear. And the idea that we shouldn't do something simply because someone else may be uneducated about it just seems fundamentally wrong to me. Like my late husband's MS symptoms often being mistaken as drunkenness, so would it be considered socially unacceptable for him to be out in public, because public intoxication is offensive and dangerous? It shouldn't be his fault that "they don't know."

Why can't it be their job to understand vaping before becoming "offended" by it? Why must we acquiesce because of their ignorance and intolerance? Don't we consider ignorant behavior and intolerance to be rude and unacceptable, as well?

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
It's just a little odd if you think about it.

It's considered an offense to smoke in public because even a little smoke can be physically irritating to the eyes and respiratory system, pungent and (supposedly) an actual health danger to others.

Vaping is none of those, but it's still an offense? And it can be unacceptable just because someone who is uneducated about vaping might be uncomfortable with just seeing it?

I cannot think of any other action where such a social expectation would be applied. Farting, cell phones, loud music or talking - those are all other examples of legal but socially unacceptable public behaviors which actually create a situation that is either physically offensive (odor) or disruptive (sound or visually blocking.)

The only time I can see the same standards applying to vapor would be in the front rows of a theater (distracting from the show), a particularly pungent vapor or so many vapers billowing clouds in a room that it becomes overpowering. In other words, if it is actually causing a disruption beyond it simply being a novelty or not understood.

I cannot think of anything else that is considered socially unacceptable or rude when it is not a health risk, doesn't create a foul odor, nor hampers another's ability to see or hear. And the idea that we shouldn't do something simply because someone else may be uneducated about it just seems fundamentally wrong to me. Like my late husband's MS symptoms often being mistaken as drunkenness, so would it be considered socially unacceptable for him to be out in public, because public intoxication is offensive and dangerous? It shouldn't be his fault that "they don't know."

Why can't it be their job to understand vaping before becoming "offended" by it? Why must we acquiesce because of their ignorance and intolerance? Don't we consider ignorant behavior and intolerance to be rude and unacceptable, as well?

Responding with a quote:
I don't know why there seems to be the need to develop a scientific case when it's really about either choosing to be considerate or not. The act of chewing gum loudly is disgusting to me. I don't care how harmless they prove the act to be. I don't care how many studies and charts they present to me. Chew gum with your friggin' mouth closed or get out of earshot!

Let's establish what's considered a public place in this thread. The courthouse is public so should we be able to walk around inside blowing out clouds? The DMV line? Ideally, people would have common sense but they don't. I may be wrong but it's probable to get more sympathetic listeners by not being confrontational. Nothing wrong with saying "this is harmless but if you're bothered I'll stand down wind". Some people on here act like they'd take the fattest toke possible and blow it in someone's face. Sure, you'll leave an impression. It really isn't important about how we feel. It's important to be effective. What approach depends often on the indiviudal or individuals you're dealing with. Good luck and try not to be a jerk about it is all I can say. That can apply to vaping, texting, chewing gum etc...

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Let's establish what's considered a public place in this thread. The courthouse is public so should we be able to walk around inside blowing out clouds? The DMV line? Ideally, people would have common sense but they don't. I may be wrong but it's probable to get more sympathetic listeners by not being confrontational them. Nothing wrong with saying "this is harmless but if you're bothered I'll stand down wind". Some people on here act like they'd take the fattest toke possible and blow it in someone's face. Sure, you'll leave an impression. It really isn't important about how we feel. It's important to be effective. What approach depends often on the indiviudal or individuals you're dealing with. Good luck and try not to be a jerk about it is all I can say. That can apply to vaping, texting, chewing gum etc...
Not laying down and accepting what they choose to throw at us is not the same as being a jerk.
The extreme positions in these types of conversations don't do much other than to destroy the conversation and split us apart.

Be respectful, but don't hide in a corner and be ashamed.

I'm extremely angry that I am supposed to leave the entire ballpark when watching a Padres game if I want to vape.
I don't accept that, nor the many other restrictions on smoking=vaping that grow by the number each day.

EDIT: Heck, I don't even accept the growing number of places that smokers can't smoke now, and I'm not even a smoker.

Last edited:

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I see. You want to gain ground for vaping that was lost by the false equation of vaping=smoking. And actually, at some venues, you can take cigarettes in but not PV's (though I got away with cig-a-likes). I was making a moral argument on a more interpersonal level so I was pretty far off. I read the OP but didn't pay much attention to how the discussion had developed. My fault.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Let's establish what's considered a public place in this thread. The courthouse is public so should we be able to walk around inside blowing out clouds? The DMV line?

Playing devil's advocate here...

Honestly, why not? What is so offensive about seeing a little vapor in a DMV line or courthouse hallway? If they cannot smell it and it's not causing them physical irritation or harm, what is the issue?

A lot of the behavior I see described as "rude vaping" is exactly that - rude vaping. Making a scene because an owner or manager asks you to stop is rude, not the vaping itself. Blowing clouds in someone's face is rude, but not typical vaping nearby. Blowing vapor in front of a movie screen is rude, because it distracts from the screen, like standing up or talking loudly in a movie. Using a pungent liquid that can be noticed by others and possibly make them gag from the smell is rude, but not vaping something that isn't noticeable.

Not all public vaping need be considered "rude" just because it can be seen. It's not the vaping that is rude or inconsiderate, it's the behavior of the vaper while vaping that is rude and inconsiderate.

(I basically agree with your post, just elaborating, lol.)

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I can't (and am not) speaking for all Situations, but I can comment on the position that a College Campus I know took on e-Cigarettes. And it had little to do with Nicotine.

And that was that there was no way to determine what Exactly was inside an e-Liquid.

Their position was that since there was No Standards or Regulations in what is inside an e-Liquid, they would Not Allow e-Cigarette use on Campus. Parking lots were OK.

The question was also brought up Many times of "Why do people need to use an e-Cigarette More Frequently than they need to Smoke?"

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The question was also brought up Many times of "Why do people need to use an e-Cigarette More Frequently than they need to Smoke?"

That's an interesting point. I have theories, but nothing that has been proven scientifically.

1) The nicotine possibly isn't delivered as efficiently, so the effect doesn't last as long.

2) E-cigarettes work more like the patch - lower levels more consistently delivered throughout the day rather than in a "short-term binge" manner like cigarettes.

3) Because the consumer may now use it indoors at home and even at work, unlike when they were smoking, they are possibly breaking their smoking "triggers" by using it more frequently. This means they may need to use it more frequently when out and about in public situations.

Some of my theories, anyway. ;)

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
My doctors don't consider me a smoker anymore, I don't consider me a smoker anymore, so why would anyone else? I agree with all post that state rude vaping is rude vaping and that we should be considerate but not to the point of laying down. I don't want to be equated to a smoker since I'm not. I once was, granted, but I quit. I agree with the post about how unfairly they felt smokers were/are treated, because they are treated as if they have the plague. I always felt punished as a smoker, made to feel bad, pushed further and further away. Now the same is being tried with vaping. Granted, more studies are needed and I'll be glad when we have them so we have the information needed to make better choices. As it stands we have what we have and that's what we're working with. All we have now are opinions and God knows how that works......everyone has one ;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's an interesting point. I have theories, but nothing that has been proven scientifically.

1) The nicotine possibly isn't delivered as efficiently, so the effect doesn't last as long.

2) E-cigarettes work more like the patch - lower levels more consistently delivered throughout the day rather than in a "short-term binge" manner like cigarettes.

3) Because the consumer may now use it indoors at home and even at work, unlike when they were smoking, they are possibly breaking their smoking "triggers" by using it more frequently. This means they may need to use it more frequently when out and about in public situations.

Some of my theories, anyway. ;)

I think All three are Distinct possibilities.

My theory is that it has More to do with the Mental aspects of vaping than it does the Physical side of vaping.

And Mental Addictions can be just as hard, or even Harder, to kick than Physical Addictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread