• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Canadian Rebuildable's and stuff thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fesso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
mod the cap,a piece of thin metal curved just the right amount and adjust to block part of the hole

Thanks, I just now found something like that (yay google and yay for people posting stuff)

I tried tape but doesn't stick to the inside (juice) and don't really want it on the outside, I will try out the curved metal and see how that goes.... I am getting used to it a bit, great flavour but just have to pull and pull (slowly)...

Fesso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok, I just decided to switch out the precoiled 400 wick and I redid the job with 325. I un-rolled the provided wick, re-rolled it on the syringe provided, wrapped 5 coils, bumped them around 'till they glowed evenly and BAMP. It's still airy but way way way better. I think the pre-done one was having wicking problems. There was no channel up the middle and I think from what I have read that it is better for the juice to travel up... more surface area I guess.
First impression (out of the box) - meh
Second impression (after setting it up myself) NICE! Still a little airy for my taste but really flavourful!

Now I still have to play around with the metal ring air intake MOD and I think I read somewhere about someone raising the upper O-ring somehow to make the top cap more snug.

I am really enjoying this!

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Ok, I just decided to switch out the precoiled 400 wick and I redid the job with 325. I un-rolled the provided wick, re-rolled it on the syringe provided, wrapped 5 coils, bumped them around 'till they glowed evenly and BAMP. It's still airy but way way way better. I think the pre-done one was having wicking problems. There was no channel up the middle and I think from what I have read that it is better for the juice to travel up... more surface area I guess.
First impression (out of the box) - meh
Second impression (after setting it up myself) NICE! Still a little airy for my taste but really flavourful!

Now I still have to play around with the metal ring air intake MOD and I think I read somewhere about someone raising the upper O-ring somehow to make the top cap more snug.

I am really enjoying this!

I just use an extra o-ring...it helped align my air hole,prevent leakage (even if they dont leak) and give more room to the wick

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
www.youtube.com
Well so far I am not amazed at the flavor or vapor I am getting from my did clone, I am using 400 mesh, seems a bit dry....hopefully it will pick up :)
IMG_4221.jpg

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Well so far I am not amazed at the flavor or vapor I am getting from my did clone, I am using 400 mesh, seems a bit dry....hopefully it will pick up :)
View attachment 143518

RM the coil burn is a thing of beauty though. Maybe get a dozen or so and hang them in the back yard near the trees. Watch out for falling leaves. :laugh:

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
www.youtube.com
RM the coil burn is a thing of beauty though. Maybe get a dozen or so and hang them in the back yard near the trees. Watch out for falling leaves. :laugh:

Hah, ya, they are all on the ground now, have to rake them sometime this week. I popped that coil right after I took that pic, I tightened the top nut a bit and pop......got another going though, it does not tasted great....I am wondering if it just needs time to improve or maybe i am having wicking issues.....i will keep tinkering

Cobber

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Kingston Ontario
www.itsjustvapor.com
Hah, ya, they are all on the ground now, have to rake them sometime this week. I popped that coil right after I took that pic, I tightened the top nut a bit and pop......got another going though, it does not tasted great....I am wondering if it just needs time to improve or maybe i am having wicking issues.....i will keep tinkering
Any hot spots will make it taste like metal. Pretty nasty

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
www.youtube.com
Any hot spots will make it taste like metal. Pretty nasty

Ya, i had the coil lighting up perfect, but after a while of grossness I took the cap off and there was a crazy hot spot....getting really frustrated, and that isn't like me. (ok maybe it is) I am at the point now where i can take the wick right out and the coil lights up like a dream.....put the wick in, still lights up fine, but now it won't wick any liquid. I am going to make another wick and see if that helps, if it doesn't I am going to throw these things out the freaking window and look around for another Penelope.

EDIT: Cooled down now, lol, gonna try some other stuff out tomorrow, need to get the image of coils off of my retinas :)

Last edited:

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
Can you show some picks on how you set it up with as?

NO this is not a pipe bomb!!!!!!!

I can try, my proper cameras batteries can't hold a charge so phone cam it is. It's not as pretty as therealcmac's coil, but it does the trick. Just finished cleaning the coils off, still a little bit gunky (where the brighter spots are). I don't want to brush it too much and mess up the wick. Kanthal (think it's 32A) 4/3 comes in at 2ohm.
phoeni.jpg phoeni2.jpg

I've had much better luck getting this working than my did clone, no "tricks" like rolling paper or cotton have had to be used. Just roll a long bit of wick (I preroll and oxidized a 3-4cm length), cut a bit (~1.5cm) off, wrap it and it's pretty much good to go. There was a bit of hotspots at first, but they weren't bad and I got them mostly under control, once juice was in they took care of themselves. I tried using cotton wick, and a ss/cotton hybrid, but I find that the cotton carries a taste I'm not fond of. Yes, it's been boiled, just has an odd undertone.

Last edited:

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON

Residual oxidizing maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread