Cthulhu RTA Discusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Too many pages to read through, has anyone tried quad nano dragon coils in this? I'm thinking 10 wraps of 30g around 1.5mm.... I did a single coil so far, it looks like it would all fit....

Edit: seems like it'd work, did just the single coil, wrapped it with cotton to check the coil placement, wet it down and fired it, it put out a good amount of vapor for a 2 ohm coil....

Edit2: wrapped 4 coils, 10 wraps at 1.5 mm with 30g, gonna do a tear down, clean and rebuild, maybe do a picture or two, as well....

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderDan

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
After a few months of use and several builds and rewickings I think I have my technique down.
I've found that less wicking rather than more is better. The wicking works best as a conduit rather than a reservoir. Once I have the length right, with the end just long enough to fill the tops of the juice channels, I go into topiary mode with some small scissors and shape the wick so it is only fractionally wider at the end than the width of the coil.I then damp down the wick with some juice and do the final positioning.

I am currently running dual 2.5mm coils @0.41 ohms on a regulated device at 40 watts. Vapor production flavor and density are only slightly less than a good RDA, which I think is amazing for a tank. Eagerly awaiting the V2.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
I made my first Claptons tonight and put them in the Cthulhu :). Wow!

I first tried to go 6 wraps of 32 wound on 26g on 2.5mm bits, but they were too big for the deck. 5 wraps worked great.
How did it turn out, resistance-wise? I just did some 5 wrap 2mm coils, 26g core and 32g wrap, I don't check everything until both coils are installed but I don't want to install and find they're too low.... I guess I could always throw them on the old deck d check them that way....

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
How did it turn out, resistance-wise? I just did some 5 wrap 2mm coils, 26g core and 32g wrap, I don't check everything until both coils are installed but I don't want to install and find they're too low.... I guess I could always throw them on the old deck d check them that way....

0.33 ohm

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Thanks, so my multimeter is needing an upgrade, I think.... Mine is coming in at 0.5 on the old deck.... But then again, they're not installed to function, just to check ohms.... Legs aren't clipped to the proper length and the screws aren't tightened enough, only to make a connection.... I'll keep fiddling with it, if I can't get a more accurate reading, I'll hold on to them so I'll have some for the single coil deck on the v2....

Edit: yeah just gonna save them.... Tightened them down a bit more, getting 0.1 ohm.... Not worth the risk....

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Thanks, so my multimeter is needing an upgrade, I think.... Mine is coming in at 0.5 on the old deck.... But then again, they're not installed to function, just to check ohms.... Legs aren't clipped to the proper length and the screws aren't tightened enough, only to make a connection.... I'll keep fiddling with it, if I can't get a more accurate reading, I'll hold on to them so I'll have some for the single coil deck on the v2....

Edit: yeah just gonna save them.... Tightened them down a bit more, getting 0.1 ohm.... Not worth the risk....

My ohmmeter and mod were both in agreement on that. My first Claptons so it was an experiment. I first tried 6 wrap coils for 0.4 ohm, but couldn't do it with the chimney.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
My ohmmeter and mod were both in agreement on that. My first Claptons so it was an experiment. I first tried 6 wrap coils for 0.4 ohm, but couldn't do it with the chimney.
Thanks, I'm thinking it's my multimeter being screwy.... I did a simple coil, steam engine put it at 0.6 ohms, my multimeter read it at 0.2.... :facepalm:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Thanks, I'm thinking it's my multimeter being screwy.... I did a simple coil, steam engine put it at 0.6 ohms, my multimeter read it at 0.2.... :facepalm:

Time for a new one :). I have a USA Ohmmeter, a DMM and I trust my sx minis also to give me an accurate reading. I have the Cthulhu on my new istick 100W so apparently that mod has quite an accurate meter.

Definitely do a second check with the chimney on if you are using big twisted or Clapton coils.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Time for a new one :). I have a USA Ohmmeter, a DMM and I trust my sx minis also to give me an accurate reading. I have the Cthulhu on my new istick 100W so apparently that mod has quite an accurate meter.

Definitely do a second check with the chimney on if you are using big twisted or Clapton coils.
Gonna be grabbing another one today.... Thinking it might be something with the deck.... Checked the coils off the deck, they come out to 0.6 each.... Throw one on the deck and check it there, its 0.2

Edit: its the deck.... Exposed 510 pin to an air channel now. Checked it without a coil and it reads .3 ohms....

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Gonna be grabbing another one today.... Thinking it might be something with the deck.... Checked the coils off the deck, they come out to 0.6 each.... Throw one on the deck and check it there, its 0.2

Edit: its the deck.... Exposed 510 pin to an air channel now. Checked it without a coil and it reads .3 ohms....

Oh, yikes. Contact Cthulhu and hopefully they can send you a new deck.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Oh, yikes. Contact Cthulhu and hopefully they can send you a new deck.
This is my old deck.... I got a replacement a month or so ago, I just use it to see if an experiment coil will fit....

Threw the Clapton's on my nimbus, they both don't fit, positive post hole is too small, but tested each one alone on the deck and its coming to .6 each....
I'll attempt to test them out on my good deck, just wanted to be sure they were safe before taking it apart and taking out a good build and find out they were too low....

Reactions: roxynoodle

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
with claptons, it's not necessary to put the outside wire into your post holes...you only need the core wire/s in there, the outside will heat up by heat transfer...it works the same whether you put the outside wires in or not. just a headsup. i often unwind a little of the end of mine to make them fit better, although i just took out my fused claptons in the cthulhu and replaced them with simple 28 ga coils. got tired of the claptons, i was firing them at 110 watts, .13 ohms.
good flavor but not really that much better than the simple coil, imo.

Reactions: Mad Scientist

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
Got them in, checked, everything fits, really tight.... Coming in around 0.3.... Wicking it right now....

MwYpgbW.jpg

Edit: yeah, maybe I need more than a mech for dual Claptons.... Not liking the ramp-up time running duals.... Think I'll stick with single Clapton builds on the v2 and twisted duals.... It works, but it seems I got more from my single coil rda than these duals....

Edit2: turns out the battery was running low, threw in a fresh one, no ramp-up.... Flavor issue could be the liquid, didn't try it on the Clapton in the rda....

Last edited:

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
Could one of you fine people do me a favour, please?

I've just lost the spare bottom fill screw (I lost the first one about 5 minutes after receiving it when it went down the plughole! :rolleyes:)

I know it's a M2.5 screw but how long is it? 3mm or 4mm? Could someone measure it and let me know, please? I need to know the length of the screw shaft, not including the head.

TIA

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
ok I have 4 of these now. Best flavor of any rta makes it easy to live with this tank's shortcomings.

I need more grub screws and I bet someone here knows exactly what size these grub screws are. Thanks in advance.
I use M2x4mm in mine - which uses a 0.9mm Allen key.

Any chance of you answering my question? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread