Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Yes/no. That may be the only stuff left on the formal retail market in the US.

But I don't think that "devices" should be the biggest worry. China (and even Europe) aren't going to stop making devices. Moreover, there's nothing in the Marlboro Protection Act, er, Tobacco Control Act, that authorizes or allows the FDA to ban imports for personal use; they can only block imports intended for sale or distribution. So if a person wants an rba or mod, they should still be able to order it from overseas.

The real worry should be consumables. I suppose there will be at least a few large liquid companies who will file PMTAs. The question is: Will the FDA approve any of them? If they don't intend to approve any open systems, why would they approve any liquids? Now in principle, individuals could order liquids from China as well (Europe is more or less out due to the 10ml / 20mg/ml restrictions already in place due to the TPD), but does anyone really want to vape Chinese liquids? Personally, I'd have to be pretty desperate. ;)

I was fond of Hangsen for a while as were plenty others, but I get your point. Seems to me JUUL have not done the vaping community any favours with the crazy high nic content in the US.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I was fond of Hangsen for a while as were plenty others, but I get your point. Seems to me JUUL have not done the vaping community any favours with the crazy high nic content in the US.
It is the reason that such a small coil with so little power actually works. If they would have put 18mgl in them then Juul would not have been anywhere near as successful, because it wouldnt have been strong enough to keep a smoker satisfied.

The amount of nic is sort of irrelevant IMHO. Different folks need different strengths for it to work for the individual. I have been vaping 36mgl for 7 years, no remorse or shame whatsoever, it kept me off the stinkies.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
It is the reason that such a small coil with so little power actually works. If they would have put 18mgl in them then Juul would not have been anywhere near as successful, because it wouldnt have been strong enough to keep a smoker satisfied.

The amount of nic is sort of irrelevant IMHO. Different folks need different strengths for it to work for the individual. I have been vaping 36mgl for 7 years, no remorse or shame whatsoever, it kept me off the stinkies.

I get how it works. It has attracted a lot of unwelcome attention though. I'm also not convinced it is necessary. Preferable maybe but not necessarily necessary.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
but does anyone really want to vape Chinese liquids? Personally, I'd have to be pretty desperate. ;)

Back when I was starting, FT sold brand-name liquids as well.. I remember getting several bottles of Italian (IIRC) brand "Liqua".. So I would assume that FT probably still sells some of those brand names.

It's not just the strength that Juul chose; it's also the type - the quicker hitting salt-nic.
A smoker that doesn't know the first thing about nic strengths, should not normally start with that strength and type - right off the bat. Since there are both light and heavy smokers.

Again, I have no problem with someone VAPING high nic strengths for as long as they want - WE VAPERS know full well that it's not the nicotine that is the problem (unless you might already have a tumor, but I digress...). The problem is that the general public never got enough time to get to realize that the very word "nicotine" does NOT, in fact, equate to the words "nuclear holocaust". :)

Some will say that if it wasn't Juul, then it would have been someone else... Then fine. Replace the constant "Company Juul", with the variable "Company X". :rolleyes:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Uh TOBACCO isn't necessary. There are plenty of folks, a WHOLE bunch of them, getting through life without tobacco.

I don't care about nicotine strength if that was not the beef, it would be something else.

For a long time, I wished I could go back to being a never smoker. Who did not know how SATISFYING and whatnot tobacco could be. While pregnant and nursing I wished that a vast amount.

That experience, Bronze, is why I stockpile. Either you are made of sterner stuff, or you haven't tried to stop nicotine yet.

I know full WELL I would crave nicotine until the end of my days. As my dad said after his LAST quit (he's had a bunch, and a heart attack,) "Sometimes only the knowledge of how horrible quitting is, is what keeps me from smoking again."

He was my kind of smoker, he would take me to the NIH when I was four on weekends so I could play around with the lab equipment and my mom was making him "quit' and you could still smoke inside but not on elevators. He would PLUCK the longest .... out of the ashtray, light it and get this cross eyed look on his face, and say "Don't ever do this, and don't EVER tell your mom."

LOL dad, I can safely say I did not ever pluck a stranger's .... from an elevator ashtray but I did tell my mom only it was decades too late, she just laughed and said, "That MAN."

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Gotta do what you gotta do.
Indeed. 5-1/2 years since my last cigarette and I'm still not confident that I wouldn't be buying smokes at the Stop & Rob within a day or two if all vape-stuff somehow disappeared. :oops:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I am unabashedly a nicotine addict. I will do what it takes.

RIGHT ON!! :thumbs:

And I am unabashedly a stoner! :D :banana:

Seriously though, I get soooooo very sick and tired of this country's puritanical BS. Dare anything cause any sort of euphoric feeling - and you actually enjoy it?!! :grr: Shame on you! :grr: You're nothing but a sinner and going to hell!:evil:

:nun:

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
On one hand, the longer one smokes the harder it is to quit. On the other hand, the older one gets the easier it gets to quit ( I did not say it was easy). When you get older you ask yourself more often, “Is this how I want to die?” Years remaining become more precious. The reality of smoking biting into those years are more front and center. Motivation to quit is greater. I’ve known countless people who quit smoking as they enter the last half or third of their life. One’s perspective on mortality is quite different in your 60s than it is in your 40s.

I also know people who quit smoking because vaping allowed them to. They subsequently quit both. And I’m talking about people in their 60s who smoked for decades. It can be done.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not saying it can't be done. It CAN be done. I just don't WANT to quit vaping.

Quite frankly I quit a decade of Suboxone "therapy" and I had to take FMLA for like 96-ish days. That quit was HORRENDEOUS, and really I spent a LOT of time in bed just MOANING.

BUT, I really wanted to quit it, I had an illegal in the US plan to clean out my Opiate receptors (and it worked rather nicely.) So, I have not craved an opiate since.

Probably, the suboxone taper was FAR worse, in so many ways. But, I never wanted to quit smoking and although vaping is nicer I am fairly certain I would have to return to some form of combustible tobacco.

EVERYTHING is about your motivation. If I ever get motivated enough to quit vaping, I'm quite certain I will. But I don't know when the motivation WILL come, so planning seems intelligent to me.

Maybe once I hit my 60s I will be like "You know, I don't need this anymore."

However, I don't KNOW that do I? SO how would it be sane NOT to plan plus I am sure SOMEONE will want my nicotine.

Anna

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My only point is one can never give up thinking that life without smoking and vaping is possible. It’s not written in stone anywhere that we must smoke or we must vape to get by in life. Human history made it thousands of years without it and we had no idea we missed it. Managing a personal vaping freezer simply reminds me of this.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
My only point is one can never give up thinking that life without smoking and vaping is possible. It’s not written in stone anywhere that we must smoke or we must vape to get by in life. Human history made it thousands of years without it and we had no idea we missed it. Managing a personal vaping freezer simply reminds me of this.
True. However, given that the reasons I used to smoke still exist, it seems prudent to make sure I have the means to stay with the much less harmful alternative, once the government uses its force to attempt to keep me from it. But, that's just me.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
BUT, I really wanted to quit it, I had an illegal in the US plan to clean out my Opiate receptors (and it worked rather nicely.) So, I have not craved an opiate since.

I'm currently in the process of ending tramadol. But here, it started because they're now requiring a drug test for opiates in my state... And well, for one thing, I don't remember seeing the sign-up sheet for being treated like a prisoner FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE --- cause I certainly will never sign up for such a sick and immoral practice.

The other thing being that everything about and surrounding alcohol thoroughly repulses me these days (even just seeing someone holding a beer -- and with a kid no less! :eek: ) - and it's just WAAAAAY too hard of a drug for me these days, anyways. The becoming-legal stuff is more of a relaxant - and surprise surprise, it also just so happens to help with my pain and nausea from disability.

And the thing with nicotine, is that it seriously does help quite a bit with 'holding my mind together', cognitively speaking, so I might be able to complete a full thought occasionally. :w00t:

Maybe once I hit my 60s I will be like "You know, I don't need this anymore."

And this is my first day back after a 2-night hospital stay for a strange case of pneumonia (god, I hope they didn't put down 'vaping' as a possible cause :-x ).

And you know what - I really am getting sick of inhaling stuff all the time! :lol:
So considering that vaped nicotine doesn't (eta: really) absorb in the lungs anyways - mainly only absorbs in the mouth, throat, and nose.. I've decided that I'm not usually going to inhale anymore. At least not much or often. Cause what's the point?? (for nicotine ;))

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
It is the nature of most people to go along to get along intent on living their daily lives and it is the nature of a few people to take that power and to consolidate the power into their all knowing all caring hands. There is always a struggle between the concept of liberty and the reality of power.

The greatest experiment in self governance ever devised has been given away. If we had retained the Articles, that would not have changed the nature of the many and certainly not the nature of the few.

I appreciate your sense of sureness in stating this & in how you stated it. That noted, I'm not quite as sure as you that we would have wound up in the same shape. You do provide though a very clear and straight forward counter point regarding power & people.

As Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

It seems more and more this axiom rings true.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
And I have said Many Times that it Isn't the Banning of e-Cigarettes, It's the Banning of who is Allowed to Produce and Make Profits via the e-Cigarette Market.

The FDA/Government wants a handful of Players who control the Entire Market.

Whiskey Rebellion version 2020 then?

If so I think suppliers & runners will be cropping up. From what little I comprehend regarding it and has been written for me to read, it is not exactly difficult to extract nicotine. Granted my ignorance of the process may mean I'm wrong. I still believe though people will see suppliers & runners crop up.

I may want to take up trapping again, that is if certain pelts hold any value. It'd be a feasible way to pay the extra for 18mg/ml VG base.

Last edited:

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm 71 and have no intention of quitting vaping. I DIY and like vaping. At my age, I don't need to stock a freezer full of nic and I'm sure I have more than enough. I saw the writing on the wall years ago............

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I appreciate your sense of sureness in stating this & in how you stated it. That noted, I'm not quite as sure as you that we would have wound up in the same shape. You do provide though a very clear and straight forward counter point regarding power & people.

As Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

It seems more and more this axiom rings true.

Certainly had we remained under the Articles of Confederation, we would not have some of the situations that I consider to be problems, the massive regulatory state, the Federal Reserve, Common Core and I could go on but I know you understand what I mean. Perhaps some of the problems encountered under the AOC could have been rectified but the Constitution, a document of limited government, was to fix what ailed the fledgling nation. But we choose not to follow it, with DC sucking more and more power from the states to the central government. It is easy now to just say the Constitution is a 'living breathing document'. The Constitution provided a method to adapt to time, the amendment process, but that is too hard and too uncertain for some. State fiat is so much more certain and fast,

Users who are viewing this thread