Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I foresee things like "Benny's Blackmarket Basement Baragains" popping up. They start out sneaking in shipments from overseas to supply themselves and close friends and family with hardware and nic... but slowly the word gets out that someone in the family "has a guy" and then it slowly turns into side income instead of just family and friends.
I doubt there will be a street corner style black market trade in nic vaping products because it won't be lucrative compared to the risks. After May 20 there will still be vape products available to buy as far as Federal law. But there is likely to be fewer shops wiith fewer products. And if offshore shippiing remains an option a black market trade will be even less profitable. Once a vaper has a bottle of nic and a few vape rigs he can go off the grid for years.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Here is the primary CDC summary from The New England Journal of Medicine:

The EVALI and Youth Vaping Epidemics — Implications for Public Health

Strikes me as a crock of self-righteous bull....... My paraphrasing, “we tried hard but couldn’t find the evidence we needed to continue our witch hunt. However, everything we did was well justified. And any future abuse of ex-smokers is also justified. Why? Because we say so.”

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
OK, this is loosely related to Deeming.

I saw an interview with Peter Navarro (Trump's trade advisor) this morning. With these new trade deals with China they are implementing protections against counterfeiting products. What they do to monitor the problem is to randomly sample some actual shipments from China and they have determined that 10% of all Chinese product imports are counterfeit. As many of us know here on ECF, much of our vape gear is counterfeit from China. So with these new trade deals, they will be monitoring counterfeit levels and if there are not reductions there will be automatic penalties.

Now, I assume this applies to patented products and most all of our vape gear is not patented. Some of that is because there simply isn't enough volume to get a payback on a patent. But some of it is because designers/producers know there is no patent enforcement against China. Perhaps these trade deals could impact our vape products going forward...that is, unless Deeming kills the industry.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Now, I assume this applies to patented products and most all of our vape gear is not patented.
You may be conflating the different types of intellectual property. A "counterfeit" generally involves trademark infringement, not patent infringement.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
OK, this is loosely related to Deeming.

I saw an interview with Peter Navarro (Trump's trade advisor) this morning. With these new trade deals with China they are implementing protections against counterfeiting products. What they do to monitor the problem is to randomly sample some actual shipments from China and they have determined that 10% of all Chinese product imports are counterfeit. As many of us know here on ECF, much of our vape gear is counterfeit from China. So with these new trade deals, they will be monitoring counterfeit levels and if there are not reductions there will be automatic penalties.

Now, I assume this applies to patented products and most all of our vape gear is not patented. Some of that is because there simply isn't enough volume to get a payback on a patent. But some of it is because designers/producers know there is no patent enforcement against China. Perhaps these trade deals could impact our vape products going forward...that is, unless Deeming kills the industry.
It's a good question. But which products would they focus on? Counterfeits of American products only, or all? The heaviest lobbying industries would benefit most, I'm guessing. And the bigger fish of the market - phones, electronics, designer clothing, etc.

And think about how much they'd have to educate themselves about vape products to be able to identify a counterfeit SvoeMesto. Plus, these days it seems most of what American vapers buy are clones that aren't masquerading as the real thing.

Honestly, I'm thinking the biggest effect of that on vaping would be that it would incidentally snare any vape gear being shipped to US without PMTA approval.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
It's a good question. But which products would they focus on? Counterfeits of American products only, or all? The heaviest lobbying industries would benefit most, I'm guessing. And the bigger fish of the market - phones, electronics, designer clothing, etc.

And think about how much they'd have to educate themselves about vape products to be able to identify a counterfeit SvoeMesto. Plus, these days it seems most of what American vapers buy are clones that aren't masquerading as the real thing.

Honestly, I'm thinking the biggest effect of that on vaping would be that it would incidentally snare any vape gear being shipped to US without PMTA approval.
They will not be targeting vape gear. They will be randomly inspecting all shipments from China covering all products and calculating the percentage of counterfeit products. If they are not improving (by whatever amount they agreed to) then China will get slapped with penalties.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
They will not be targeting vape gear. They will be randomly inspecting all shipments from China covering all products and calculating the percentage of counterfeit products. If they are not improving (by whatever amount they agreed to) then China will get slapped with penalties.
I can’t see them taking the time/manpower to look at 10% of bubble mailers. A crate might have several hundred counterfeit Chanel/Gucci handbags/sunglasses or Air Jordans, and a person who sent it to go after. Unless they decide to flag packages coming from a specific vendor to be randomly searched, there’s no way to narrow down which envelopes to check. The sheer volume daily is massive. Point...They haven’t been able to slow international “prescriptions” from getting through in all the years they’ve been trying.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I can’t see them taking the time/manpower to look at 10% of bubble mailers. A crate might have several hundred counterfeit Chanel/Gucci handbags/sunglasses or Air Jordans, and a person who sent it to go after. Unless they decide to flag packages coming from a specific vendor to be randomly searched, there’s no way to narrow down which envelopes to check. The sheer volume daily is massive. Point...They haven’t been able to slow international “prescriptions” from getting through in all the years they’ve been trying.
Ahh, but the power of statistics. :)

They wont be inspecting 10% of the shipments. They probably will be inspecting a fraction of 1% of the packages and using statistics.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Yeah, I get that part, that they're not targeting vaping - it's about a random 10% of all goods. That's why I was saying it could incidentally trap non PMTA products.

But I guess I misunderstand what you mean. What are you saying you think the effect will be on vaping? That the cost of the penalties would affect vape products, or do you mean something else?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The purpose of the inspections is to lower the % of counterfeit products. That's up to China how they decide to do that. They control their industries but vape gear production is one of them (among zillions) so they may very well come down on all of them lest they prefer penalties.

Users who are viewing this thread