Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If you are afraid of youth smoking, it's simple.

Ban the sale of cigarettes.

You are correct. And banning will reduce overall consumption. Of course a black market will arise and, most significantly, that black market will be un-taxed. There in lies the rub. Un-taxed revenue to the government is like a crucifix to a vampire.

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    You are correct. And banning will reduce overall consumption. Of course a black market will arise and, most significantly, that black market will be un-taxed. There in lies the rub. Un-Taxed revenue to the government is like a crucifix to a vampire.

Of course the logical thing to do is put a reasonable tax on vaping, but BT didn't introduce all of our vape gear and nicotine and was late into the game with their vapes, so the reasonable tax idea doesn't profit them as much as our returning to smoking. They'd gladly give up the Blu and the Vuse for a return to Marlboros and Winstons and whichever brand is your favorite.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Of course the logical thing to do is put a reasonable tax on vaping, but BT didn't introduce all of our vape gear and nicotine and was late into the game with their vapes, so the reasonable tax idea doesn't profit them as much as our returning to smoking. They'd gladly give up the Blu and the Vuse for a return to Marlboros and Winstons and whichever brand is your favorite.

Is a 'reasonable tax' similar to me paying 'my fair share'? Sort of like beauty and the eye of the beholder?

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    You are correct. And banning will reduce overall consumption. Of course a black market will arise and, most significantly, that black market will be un-taxed. There in lies the rub. Un-taxed revenue to the government is like a crucifix to a vampire.
    Ask the Canadians how it turned out when they taxed the snot out of cigarettes.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Is a 'reasonable tax' similar to me paying 'my fair share'? Sort of like beauty and the eye of the beholder?

Reasonable would be to move the decimal place over to the left three or four places on what they are proposing now.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Just got an email from Virgin Vapor saying they are going out of business. According to their blog all flavors apart from tobacco and menthol have been rejected or will be soon. Maybe that's just speculation or maybe they have some inside info. Either way I'm sure they are right. VV was the first place I started buying juice.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    They'd gladly give up the Blu and the Vuse for a return to Marlboros and Winstons and whichever brand is your favorite.
    Unfortunately, for them anyway.. :|, I quit smoking more for the 'less tar' thing. Nearly 7 years ago, I decided to continue getting nicotine and discontinue smoking cigarettes to do it. I'll try a snus like product centuries before smoking a cigarette again.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Unfortunately, for them anyway.. :|, I quit smoking more for the 'less tar' thing. Nearly 7 years ago, I decided to continue getting nicotine and discontinue smoking cigarettes to do it. I'll try a snus like product centuries before smoking a cigarette again.

You're right that not all vapers would return to smoking. I wouldn't. But there are very many that would.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States

I choose to continue vaping....
    I choose NOT to pay exorbitant taxes on it.

I prepared for this freedom encroaching event accordingly.........

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States
    It just amazes me that a government, who is supposed to be looking out for our welfare, would persecute a healthier alternative than leaf tobacco out of legal existence.

YET cigarettes remain on the market!

I really wish Gotlieb wouldn't have quit the job.......
    He seemed to actually "get it".

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    It just amazes me that a government, who is supposed to be looking out for our welfare, would persecute a healthier alternative than leaf tobacco out of legal existence.

YET cigarettes remain on the market!

I really wish Gotlieb wouldn't have quit the job.......
    He seemed to actually "get it".
    For the most part he did.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Forget the crucifix. Hand me that wooden stake. :D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Ask the Canadians how it turned out when they taxed the snot out of cigarettes.
    Or the Aussies. One might think that since since they are completely surrounded by a very wide, shark-infested moat, and it is highly illegal to grow your own tobacco, there wouldn't be much of a black market there, right?

If so, you'd be wrong. The black market for tobacco is worth billions of dollars there, which is no mean feat considering that the population of the entire continent/country is only about 25 million souls.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    No surprise FDA is giving away posters, many with false, fearmongering claims.
    And they want everyone to follow the science regarding their C-19 info...:facepalm:
    Do. Not. Get. Me. Started.

I'll just say that anyone who uses the phrase, "follow the science" either doesn't understand how science works, or is trying to sell you something.

Users who are viewing this thread