Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
While, in principle, I hate anyone being forced out of the ecig market, it couldnt have happened to a more deserving bunch than Altria.
Love them or hate them, there's no denying that they were very effective at getting people to put down the combustible cigs, and/or never start smoking them in the first place. They were a ground-breaking product when they were introduced in 2015; a convenient, near cig-alike form-factor that actually worked.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Love them or hate them, there's no denying that they were very effective at getting people to put down the combustible cigs, and/or never start smoking them in the first place. They were a ground-breaking product when they were introduced in 2015; a convenient, near cig-alike form-factor that actually worked.

It has crossed my mind that if life intervened and I wasn't able to make coils and so forth I might end up using Juuls. Right now it seems like the only option might be overpriced crappy disposables. Whatever justification they used to block Juul more than likely will apply to everything else as well. Unless maybe it was the high nic % that Juul uses. I guess we will find out at some point.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I guess we will see how defendable it is. I suspect Altria can and will hire some pretty good lawyers. I don't have the list of products that have gotten a PMTA (is anyone keeping track of this anymore?) but given that some similar products have gotten approved, this strikes me as a "political" move.
What similar products? The last I checked the only one that had been approved was a cig a like with the old hard cartridge and no discernible e-juice I mean there's something in there but You can't see it because it's wrapped in what looks like a cigarette filter lol. But then again I've stopped paying attention months ago because I just couldn't deal with it and everything else. So I'm actually happy to hear they may have approved something else.

*Editing because when I reread this my tone reads poorly or sarcastically and if it's reading that way to me I think it probably reads that way to others. I legitimately didn't know that there had been anything else since the first approval

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    What similar products? The last I checked the only one that had been approved was a cig a like with the old hard cartridge and no discernible e-juice I mean there's something in there but You can't see it because it's wrapped in what looks like a cigarette filter lol. But then again I've stopped paying attention months ago because I just couldn't deal with it and everything else. So I'm actually happy to hear they may have approved something else

A company called JTI had 3 products approved in March, one of which is a closed pod system (only the tobacco flavored pods were approved). The other two are a heat not burn product and a cigalike.

From VersedVaper.com

...the approved products consist of JTI’s Logic Vapeleaf, Logic Power and Logic Pro brands. Logic Vapeleaf is a heated tobacco product sold under JTI’s PLOOM TECH. This non-heat technology was purchased by JTI in 2017 from a branch off of Juul Labs. Logic Power is the company’s e-cigarette offering. And finally, Logic Pro is the brand’s disposable pod system.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    A company called JTI had 3 products approved in March, one of which is a closed pod system (only the tobacco flavored pods were approved). The other two are a heat not burn product and a cigalike.

From VersedVaper.com

...the approved products consist of JTI’s Logic Vapeleaf, Logic Power and Logic Pro brands. Logic Vapeleaf is a heated tobacco product sold under JTI’s PLOOM TECH. This non-heat technology was purchased by JTI in 2017 from a branch off of Juul Labs. Logic Power is the company’s e-cigarette offering. And finally, Logic Pro is the brand’s disposable pod system.
    I knew about the heat not burn stuff but thank you for clarifying that so I am interested then in their justification with Juul maybe they imagine because the company voluntarily pulled the flavors that they'll voluntarily pull the products

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    What similar products? The last I checked the only one that had been approved was a cig a like with the old hard cartridge and no discernible e-juice I mean there's something in there but You can't see it because it's wrapped in what looks like a cigarette filter lol. But then again I've stopped paying attention months ago because I just couldn't deal with it and everything else. So I'm actually happy to hear they may have approved something else

Here is a List of what the FDA has Granted Market Orders for...

Premarket Tobacco Product Marketing Granted Orders

Kinda a Joke. But then again, No One ever said that the Entire Process wasn't a Rigged Con Game. And the FDA lived up to their end.

:facepalm:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Economic power is exercised by means of a positive, by offering men a reward, an incentive, a payment, a value; political power is exercised by means of a negative, by the threat of punishment, injury, imprisonment, destruction. The businessman's tool is values; the bureaucrat's tool is fear. — Ayn Rand

If anything the abolition of vaping as self-regulating enterprise has served as the adequate preamble and test bed for all those 'other things' they wanted to try out. Very sad at the indifference of so many to not see through it all. To me it's only confirmed the nature of this nation's true addiction.

"The question isn't who is going to let me: it's who is going to stop me."

Good luck. :|

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    Economic power is exercised by means of a positive, by offering men a reward, an incentive, a payment, a value; political power is exercised by means of a negative, by the threat of punishment, injury, imprisonment, destruction. The businessman's tool is values; the bureaucrat's tool is fear. — Ayn Rand

If anything the abolition of vaping as self-regulating enterprise has served as the adequate preamble and test bed for all those 'other things' they wanted to try out. Very sad at the indifference of so many to not see through it all. To me it's only confirmed the nature of this nation's true addiction.

"The question isn't who is going to let me: it's who is going to stop me."

Good luck. :|

“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”
    ― George Orwell, Animal Farm

“To die hating them, that was freedom.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 29, 2011
    Rhode Island
    "the FDA said it determined that the applications lacked "sufficient evidence" regarding the toxicological profile of the products"

Terrible news and the reasoning used threatens the entire ecigarette industry.
    Meanwhile they approved a heat don't burn tobacco product.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    One might speculate that Juul/Altria is not going to obey the FDA's order and pull the product off retail shelves at this time.

That Wouldn't play well in the eyes of the Vast Majority of Federal Judges. Or State Attorney Generals.

And besides Altria/JUUL's website, it is going to the Individual "Tobacco" Retailers who would be doing the Pulling. And I don't see them Dying on that Hill for JUUL.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I think that a preliminary injunction staying enforcement would be their second step after filing their suit. Irreparable harm to their business seems to me to be an obvious ground, probably many others are obvious to those more knowledgeable in this area of law than I am.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    That Wouldn't play well in the eyes of the Vast Majority of Federal Judges. Or State Attorney Generals.

And besides Altria/JUUL's website, it is going to the Individual "Tobacco" Retailers who would be doing the Pulling. And I don't see them Dying on that Hill for JUUL.

I wonder how many store front retailers there are, and how many of them follow the news that closely for every item they sell. Will the FDA send individual letters to every convenience store in the country. Stores might have weeks of inventory in the back room which they already paid for. There must be dozens of stores closing down every day and new ones opening up.

Barring a court intervention the FDA will win in the end, but it could be a long messy process.

Users who are viewing this thread