Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Nothing is perfect. We can only deal with it to the best of our ability, and if the government and public are fine with the system for underage alcohol sales currently in place, it should be just as acceptable for vape products.

All I can share is that our shop's registers and receipts had the buyer's name, phone number, date and items purchased. We even had security cameras at each register recording all sales. A bit of detective work by FDA agents could prove if said juul was purchased by a particular individual. So Little Timmy's older brother could be held responsible for Little Timmy having a juul.

I just think people who use Retail Flavored e-Liquid should start thinking about what is going to happen when the Teen use rates Don't take a Sharp Decline.

And what Actions the FDA may choose to take in the pursuit of one of those "Simplistic Solutions".

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I just think people who use Retail Flavored e-Liquid should start thinking about what is going to happen when the Teen use rates Don't take a Sharp Decline.

And what Actions the FDA may choose to take in the pursuit of one of those "Simplistic Solutions".
I can't seem to find the document, but from my understanding teen use has sharply decreased already. The FDA just likes to use the figures from a few years ago when it was still high.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Geez, cigarettes taste like crap when first starting but did that stop us? No, for some of us it was peer pressure, for some rebellion, for some the buzz, or a mixture. Does anyone really think that ecigs that are "tobacco flavored" (still taste 100 times better than a cig) will stop anything. It's so because it's "forbidden fruit". Do away with ecigs altogether and it will be something else.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I can't seem to find the document, but from my understanding teen use has sharply decreased already. The FDA just likes to use the figures from a few years ago when it was still high.

From the latest statements that Scott has made, he referred to "New Data" a few times. No Clue what the Timeframe of this New Data is? Or the Scope of the Sampling that was done.

But I do know One Thing. And that is when the FDA says they might do something with e-Cigarettes, they Usually Do.

So... If I was Dependent on Retail Flavored e-Liquids, either in my Pods or in whatever, Now might be a Good Time to learn how to do DIY.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    IMO the Juul vaping kids will be a passing fad.
    They will get tired of paying the $15 per pod, which I've read is the bootleg price in schools.
    The Juul will be harder to get, so they will just buy cigarettes.
    The nic "buzz" will not be worth it, and go on to other drugs.
    Great job government/FDA....

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    If vaping sticks there will be a subset of teens who continue to do it. There will be little focus on those teens once the money is "back to where it should be," as far as I'm concerned.

Enforcement does work but it is extremely expensive and requires manpower. It's really not what the government cares about, they care about their tax money being in the right place, etc.

I remember a thread pretty soon after I got here where a parent was getting a gaggle of 16--19 year olds vape equipment (underage) and she happily discussed it and got some kudos given it was harm reduction etc, and the kids weren't smoking anymore.

Now, we have threads like this: Well played, Scott Gottleib and the media. Because it affects US now it's ALL about the teens.

I got news for you and I hate to say it, a certain subset of teens are going to get vaping done, just as they got smoking done. No one cared before, until "Juuling."

Now I'm not saying all such efforts are TERRIBLE I mean MADD (after it's original rabid start) got some things done concerning drunk driving and whatnot and raised awareness and maybe even REDUCED the issue some.

There are still drunk driving fatalities every day. Some social ills do NOT have a solution and as far as I"M CONCERNED the government is exploiting teens and many, many GULLIABLE adults who want to say,
    "If we solve the teen problem our vaping issues will go away."

That is a "no" coupled to a "no". Sure, offer up teen solutions if you want it will make 0% difference there is NO DIFFERENCE to be made, unless we unexpectedly enter a nuclear winter that is how LITTLE difference will be made even if teen vaping went 100 PERCENT AWAY.

it's already all planned out. DIY and be prepared to enter prohibition.

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    What happens (or what do you do) when those who are Selling JUUL's to Minors are Not Retailers or the OEM?

If you are talking bootleggers or street pharmacists then you are talking about the natural evolution of prohibition. The idea of the government is to find or invent a problem, demonize it and then begin to punish anyone who had nothing to do with the creating the problem.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Enforcement on the level of an actual retail vape shop is a wasted effort. That's not where teens get their Juuls from. It's the 7 11s and gas stations that are the primary source of cigalikes and diversion to underage users. The problem there is they might have enough agents to hang out around the handful of vape shops in any given city, but not the tens of thousands of mass merchandise places where the problem really originates.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2013
    Springfield, MO

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    upload_2018-9-14_18-24-54.png

2021, we were told....so why are we talking about this now? Because Juul was such a success. I'm not "for them," but as many of you have pointed out above, it's really not their fault their product is ending up in the hands of minors, as far as I can see. I've read about their marketing directed at teens, but just don't see it - nothing I've seen backs that up.

I cheered, and thought this news above fit, for a conservative administration. And foolishly believed at the time they might actually wait until then. If not for Juul, and the media, there would be no hysteria about "doing something" now. In spite of the fact that most of us here use vaping to avoid tobacco, I've seen how outrageously faddish it became, even more so when high schoolers could break the rules undetected using a "USB" device, get a nic high, and vape right under the nose of the teachers. Hey, I was in high school once. Couldn't count the times I got brothers & older guys to buy us alcohol. Hell, when I was 16 and looked 12, we knew the stores that would sell to us anyway. That changed when they started enforcing those laws that were already on the books- not removing beer & liquor marketed at kids, for the good of all of us.

But like others mentioned, I think if they just exercise patience, they will see that cloud-bro and USB vaping as a fad has already spiked (not saying aio/pods won't have continue success, though) , and if they do real studies, and gather real data to find how much vaping has helped smokers like me (us) quit, thru 2020, they'll come to a much better conclusion. It's government, so you know they'll do something sooner, but hopefully less, and won't shoot our own feet. How many times do we have to revisit the effects of prohibition? If they really waited until 2021, they'll have the chance to dig up more dirt on vaping (and won't find much - at least compared to tobacco). But the media hysteria has started, and you know politicians on both sides of the aisle want to tell their constituents they did something for them.

I'm glad I do only tobacco. And DIY. And RTA's. At least it sounds like they're coming for us last.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I think it varies from state to state, probably but some sort of fine for the vendor (depending on the circumstances) and some sort of legal consequence for the buyer , depending.

We used to get the homeless to buy us booze as kids. I should remember that when I get irked at some homeless person crossing the street in the dead of night, with a shopping cart, dressed in black, stopping to 'rest" wherever it is convenient. You can count on the homeless to buy you booze (I'm not sure such an act would be deemed "incarcerable" in my fair county) although we do have bigger problems. Etc.

Anna

• Agree
    Reactions: BillW50

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    What we need are regulations restraining politicians from using government as an industry.

(Get a real job, why don'tcha?)

Good luck. :)

Most jobs require a modicum of competence and integrity; politicians are only qualified to be politicians after one term in office.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2010
    Wash
    My problem is hosts, anchors, and stations who have a bias but pass themselves off as impartial. If someone has a bias then tell us you have a bias. Someone like Limbaugh and Hannity have a bias but they tell you straight out they're conservative. You know their perspective when you turn them on. I have yet to hear Anderson Cooper (and many others) admit to their bias. And news reporting goes beyond just lying. It's what they cover and what they don't cover. Most news outlets don't report news, they select news.
    They're not really biased and they're not really news. They're run by ratings and ratings are run by viewers. They're going to say whatever keeps you watchin to keep the ratings up so their sponsors will pay them to run their commercials. The last "news" program where you got real news was back when there was only 3 networks and the competition wasn't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread