Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Forgot the pharmaceuticals, so true.

If you believe the stories of how addictive juul and other high nic salt pods are, BP should love vaping. With fewer and fewer smokers they could expand their NRT and RX drug sales to vape addicts. Pretty much like BT making up for lost cigarette sales by entering the vape marketplace.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I’m more worried about the longer time frame say 10-20 years.
Considering the advancements that lithium batteries have had in the last 10 years, we'll probably have a totally different chemistry of battery to use by that time. And advancements to our vape delivery devices, too. Do you think you'll be using the same mods you're using now in 10 - 20 years?

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Considering the advancements that lithium batteries have had in the last 10 years, we'll probably have a totally different chemistry of battery to use by that time. And advancements to our vape delivery devices, too. Do you think you'll be using the same mods you're using now in 10 - 20 years?

I was kinda hoping to be using some of my higher end mods.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do you think you'll be using the same mods you're using now in 10 - 20 years?
I plan to, assuming I live that long.

I'm certainly not going to switch to some pre-filled, PMTA-approved throw-away thing.

FWIW, I just passed four years with my ADV mod, and I think I'm at three years with the atty on it.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Do you think you'll be using the same mods you're using now in 10 - 20 years?

I'll likely still almost certainly be using the same flashlights (flashaholic here - yes, it's a thing)! Especially now that I have all the equipment to do such things, I'll likely have them for much longer now -- since I'll be able to do all my own soldering and reflow work. (Well, still waiting for my damn hot air station - it keeps getting pushed out to later shipping dates due to backorder. :-x It seems Louis Rossman of YT-fame has made the Quick 861DW *VERY* in-demand due to him recommending it even over $1600+ JBC reflow stations. (It's only about $280))

However, being able do disable the part that would disable the devices in school zones -- that bit of rebelling will have to wait till further along in my new-found electronics engineering hobby knowledge. Besides, I don't really see that happening for a while, if ever.

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
If the batteries needed for my preferred mods go away, I'll find a hack or remove the chipsets and make a new housing for them for whatever 4.2V form factor is currently available to keep 'em firing...so yeah, I'll be vaping the way I am accustomed to way into the foreseeable future, good lord willing and the creek don't rise...

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
We all may be if worse comes to worst.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
as far as batteries, you can triple battery life by charging only to 4.0
i do 4.05 as it's almost as good but less hassle.

While I don't do all that cause I have no convenient way to, another tip is to charge when it gets down to somewhere's around 3.5V or a bit above, IIRC. Lithium batteries like more frequent shallow charges. For those interested, this is where I would have read that info: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries . (I might stand to use a refresher on that page myself later, but more because I'm an extreme tight-..... :))

I really wish one could set chargers for lower top-voltage cutoffs, though. I have one (Litokala 500) that seems to stop at 4.22, which is a bit high for my comfort. But that charger is a really nice one because it does all 3 major chemistries.

Interestingly (or not), being able to fix my own mods was a MAJOR contributor to my deciding to take on electronics engineering as an additional new hobby. :thumb:

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
While I don't do all that cause I have no convenient way to, another tip is to charge when it gets down to somewhere's around 3.5V or a bit above, IIRC. Lithium batteries like more frequent shallow charges. For those interested, this is where I would have read that info: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries . (I might stand to use a refresher on that page myself later, but more because I'm an extreme tight-..... :))

I really wish one could set chargers for lower top-voltage cutoffs, though. I have one (Litokala 500) that seems to stop at 4.22, which is a bit high for my comfort. But that charger is a really nice one because it does all 3 major chemistries.

Interestingly (or not), being able to fix my own mods was a MAJOR contributor to my deciding to take on electronics engineering as an additional new hobby. :thumb:

Enjoy your electronics, I have for a lifetime. I always found the maths very challenging but managed to bluff my way through, mostly 8) Soon you will have the badges of honour, solder burnt fingers and shirts. A friend recently had stitches after stabbing his finger deeply with an iron, refuses to say exactly how!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
as far as batteries, you can triple battery life by charging only to 4.0
i do 4.05 as it's almost as good but less hassle.
I'm not convinced you'll get triple the energy throughput over the life of the battery, but I'm pretty confident this will extend calendar life. In my day job, I'm involved in automotive diagnostics, which has given me the opportunity to look at what the battery management systems in a certain manufacturer's cars do. The one we've looked at most extensively is a PHEV with an 8.8 kWH pack consisting of 96 large format cells in a series string. The BMS considers it full at just a bit over 4V, and empty at just under 3.6. The manufacturer's warranty on this pack is 8 years or 100,000 miles.

i expect loose batteries to be banned due to idiots, so i'll stock up prior to govt action.
i don't wanna break into tool packs.
Which raises the question of shelf life...

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Which raises the question of shelf life...

You recently mentioned a that you were considering a study, similar to your frozen nicotine study, on the effect of refrigeration on battery shelf life. If you decide to do so and if I can help, please let me know.

I have long placed unused batteries in the refrigerator. My thinking was that battery deterioration over time is a chemical process and cold slows these processes. However, you know that I am no scientist.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Personally, I would start harvesting them from power-tool packs. Spec sheets for some packs will even tell you exactly what kind of cells are in 'em. Here's an example:

DZ75zd9.png

That's a 10S-2P pack, meaning it contains twenty cells, either VTC4s or HD2s. We know those are very high drain batteries that are safe to vape.

I recently ran across a few 18650's in plastic cases in a shoe box in the closet that I know are at least 4 to 5 years old. They all have acceptable internal resistance and charged up fine. Two of those were button tops that I bought for my Provari V2 back in 2010-2011.

Storage of new cells is probably fine as long as they are maintained at a storage charge. Most everyone is buying and using flashlights that use lithium cells. I have 8 or 10 around the house and in vehicles. Some use 18650 with the insert or 2x700 cells in native mode.

BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University

The US Air Force was able to deploy NiCd batteries that had been in storage for 5 years with good recovered capacities after priming. It is believed that priming becomes necessary if the voltage drops below 1V/cell. Primary alkaline and lithium batteries can be stored for up to 10 years with only moderate capacity loss.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I plan to, assuming I live that long.

I'm certainly not going to switch to some pre-filled, PMTA-approved throw-away thing.

FWIW, I just passed four years with my ADV mod, and I think I'm at three years with the atty on it.

I've been using the same 7 or 8 Kayfun Lites for many years. Other than the polycarbonate tube, it's all steel. The only thing that wears out is the fill screw and maybe the 510 thread after many years of use.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I recently ran across a few 18650's in plastic cases in a shoe box in the closet that I know are at least 4 to 5 years old. They all have low internal resistance and charged up fine. Two of those were button tops that I bought for my Provari V2 back in 2010-2011.
Capacity testing would be interesting on those.

BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University
I'm not sure how the text you quoted is relevant to us. We don't use ni-cad batteries, nor do we use "primary" (which means non-rechargeable) lithium batteries.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was kinda hoping to be using some of my higher end mods.

Your present mods will still use the same 18650's and those will be available. New ones are shipped with a lower storage charge and those can just be put in a plastic box in the closet for future stock.

I don't expect lithium batteries to go away. If anything happens it will be lower prices due to the automotive industry boosting production and lowering per unit costs. Of course, government could limit availability to the public, but that would create outrage from manufacturers and consumers. We all want long life lithium cells powering our new devices. AA and AAA just don't have the capacity for newer electronics.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
We all want long life lithium cells powering our new devices. AA and AAA just don't have the capacity for newer electronics.
Sure we do. But most consumer products that use li-ion batteries now has them not user replaceable. The exception is power tools, but I'm not sure they qualify as consumer products to begin with, and being able to swap in a new battery is pretty much essential to their use.

The question is whether this is done for reasons of safety, or planned obsolescence. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread