FDA may soon propose regulation that could ban many/most e-cigarette products, eliminate many/most companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Maryland
So, it's taken me a while (in between bouts of angst & depression over my public leaders) to possibly have boiled down my position & feelings as a letter. I'm curious to see what others think.. not flames or kudos, but If you think I've covered most of the bases ...

Honorable xxx,

Just STOP IT. Stop adding to knee-jerk, unfounded legislation, regulation, and rhetoric regarding Personal Vaporizers (e-cigarettes) that may, or may not contain nicotine fluid.

Partial quotes of poor and improperly done, or out of context research by highly visible organizations, and repetitions of the same from other highly visible organizations and anti-tobacco zealots does NOT warrant legislation nor regulation over and above normal and reasonable safeguards against use by underage children.

Please perform your due diligence on the subject and allow time for conclusive research to indicate need.

So far proper research under real-life useage conditions shows that it does NOT cause me OR bystanders undue harm, that it is NOT carcenogenic, does NOT appear to cause cardiac issues, nor cause lung issues in any lasting, permanent, or significant way.

Other carrier solutions in e-liquid are GRAS, and are also used medically and therapeutically, in a similar manner to vaping.

Personally, after 47-48 years of using 20 to 40 cigarettes per day I did my own research into the subject and gave up cigarettes 2 years ago. For good this time, rather than short term with all of the recommended methods. Ask my family and loved ones how they feel about the subject.

I am NOT ashamed or concerned about my use of nicotine even though I have CAD, and I have met my 60th birthday goal of substantially improving my health and that of my family.

I will NOT ALLOW anyone to socially stigmatize or financially burden me as was done in the past over my cigarette use. It may have been founded then, but until science says otherwise I WILL NOT ACCEPT IT over my use of PV's.

If you truly wish to improve rather than worsen Public Health, you will ask the FDA to simply require that e-liquid components have a USP for purity, and for FDA or NIH to do valid, trustworthy, real life use research on any potentially problematic components as may be required. Removal of hazards is as simple as that.

Currently it appears that handing a cash cow to Big Tobacco when it is otherwise a potentially significant remedy for truly harmful tobacco use is the direction the FDA is heading. I WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT, EITHER.

My personal scientific research references are available upon request if it will assist you.

Respectfully,
xxx

I'm trying to not be too inflammitory but still convey my frustration & position on the subject, and also be as succinct and direct as possible, as well as trying to be factual.

Do you think I should use research citations for my claims, or do you think it will make it less readable? Heck.. is it reasonably readable now?? :)

Last edited:

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
JD EXCELLENT! If you do use citations and links to studies.... this is disturbing news as of this AM. This was noticed and mentioned by someone at We Are Casaa on FB. Still we don't know, why or what or anything. It's very strange, however. http://publichealth.drexel.edu/SiteData/docs/ms08/f90349264250e603/ms08.pdf

drexelstudygonenov22101312.jpg

JD4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Maryland
<sigh> Thanks Lisa.
No doubt this will turn out to be a political, cover your .... move from academia. Hope it's not permanent or with other fallout.

It's only more (a little I hope) work to cite raw studies that lead to the same conclusion, I think.

The truth will out in the end. Time notwithstanding. :(

Edit- I just changed the letter text (for better flow?) in my earlier post. Trying not to totally trash this thread!

Last edited:

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
I think we just go for it. It seems like spitting in the wind, but if we cave now, they win too easily. I am in favor of standing up to tyrants, though. I just got a copy sent to me of the drexel study. If you would like one. It's a pdf file. I apologize, the tables are not in their entirety, it has been wisely suggested to wait until Casaa. posts it on their website. Sorry, in the moment up to the minute, I could make it private if someone is interested. Prof. Burstyn's Drexel Study.

:vapor:

Last edited:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Last edited:

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
It's posturing to grab the money from ex-smokers, they all refuse to admit how many vapers have quit smoking. It a very dishonest way of taking it away from the peeps and giving it to BT and BP or and BH and BG I think we can fight and end up with bt, bp, bh and bg bring them all down to size! I know the outrage you express it's enough to go to war against these evil .......s!:vapor:

phylo

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2008
Santa Cruz Ca.
It is insane to me that the FDA can consider e-cigs a "tobacco product" because there is no tobacco in the liquid at all. That makes no sense, what kind of backwards government would blatantly ignore common sense. A government that stupid would call pizza a vegetable!

The reasoning behind considering eCigs/eLiquid as a tobacco product is that the nicotine is derived from tobacco. The FDA will grasp at any straw to condemn this industry because it not only costs the Tobacco industry tons of money in lost revenue, it also costs the Pharmaceutical industry as well as many other industries. This isn’t about health, its about money!

dub151

Multiple ID Suspension
Jan 22, 2012
Ridgefield, Wa
If states like Washington and Colorado can legalize maryjane, then could any and all other states make their own exceptions to any new rules by the Fed's? I think more would be in favor of the e-cig legalization, vapers and non, especially family members of those who have had tobacco habits. Well done to all in our community, very impressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread