Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'm on a statin & am going to talk to my PCP about something else. I seem to have been having most of not all of the side effects. The Mom is on the same one & showing the same symptoms. Gotta be something else.
Uh-oh. Sounds like it runs in your family. Surely your doctor can find something else.

I've heard that cinnamon capsules help with cholesterol. I wonder if that's true.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
TMI about ma teef:

I went to the implant doctor today and had a 3-D scan done. There's not enough bone in my upper jaw to warrant trying to put implants in again. The images from the scan made this perfectly clear, and they consulted with me, answering all my questions, explaining everything they could, and apprising me of all my options.

The most expensive option, but the best one if it works, is to have what's called a sinus lift, which is a bone grafting operation. So I'm going to find out if it has a reasonable chance of working.

Next step is to go to an oral surgeon that does bone grafting, to get an opinion regarding whether a sinus lift would or could provide enough bone to make a good anchor for implants.

If that doesn't work, I'll have the place I went to today make me a top quality upper full denture with a palate. My current full upper, since it was designed to attach to implants which are no longer there, has no palate. That's the biggest reason that it comes loose so easily.

If I am a good candidate for the sinus lift, I'll have that done, then go back to the place I went to today in order to get implants planted in the new bone, and they'll either make me a new upper denture or modify my existing one to match up.

The brightest spot is that I'm committed to doing something. The second brightest spot is that the implants in my lower jaw, and the denture that attaches to them, are doing great. It was dramatic to look at the scan images and see the huge amount of bone in my lower jaw compared to the negligible amount in my upper jaw. The 2(a) brightest spot is that regardless what I end up being able to do about my upper jaw, they'll be able to make me an upper denture which meshes perfectly with the perfectly good implants and denture that I'm already using in my lower jaw. I was glad to find this out, because one of the nationwide outfits that advertises on TV told me they would only do both jaws and that they didn't do just one jaw.... that's apparently just greed on their part, even though they gave me a song and dance about how they needed to do both jaws because they wouldn't be able to get new uppers to mesh with exisisting lowers.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
What is this JAC of which you speak?

I've been so out of touch with new stuff cause I have everything I need and am very happy with it, but my curiosity has peeked!

Janet and I each have 2 of 'em and use the heck out of 'em. Think 'Provape' quality of the mod and customer support.

All statins have to be taken at night

Didn't know that, I've been taking mine daily after lunch along w/ my other pills.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Patients taking a statin for the first time are generally told to take it at night. If there are no problems, the time can be changed. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

I went ahead and took my first-ever statin pill a couple of hours ago, since I've no plans to go out again today. I do plan to switch it to the morning once my body gets used to it, because that's when I take my other 2 meds. However, I am feeling a little bit buzzed, and I haven't had a drop to drink... kind of mellow and relaxed... pleasant.... it's entirely possible that has absolutely nothing to do with the statin and everything to do with spring, greenness, sunlight or my innate weirdness.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
It turns out that 10 mg of Simvastatin is a pretty low dose. I'm going to start taking it tonight. I take my other meds in the morning but the instructions say to take Simvastatin at night. I think that's because of the possible side effect of confusion, drowsiness or memory loss. Thanks David O! I wouldn't have investigated further without your encouragement.

That's the one I was on. So was the wife, for years, but changed to atorvastatin a couple years back since her levels weren't coming down much at all. (They are now :) ) Night dosage may have something to do with how the body absorbs it, no clue, but took mine at night. When I first told my doc I was going to stop, since levels were better than "normal", he talked me into cutting the dose in half for a year first. Stayed low, so I stopped.

I suspect the "rush" is from the D, not the statin :)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Uh-oh. Sounds like it runs in your family. Surely your doctor can find something else.

I've heard that cinnamon capsules help with cholesterol. I wonder if that's true.
High cholesterol & high bp runs in the family. Both sides. My paternal GM & all 5 of her siblings multiple bypass surgeries. I was 4 when she had one surgery & I remember I'd spent a couple of weeks with them & she went in for surgery shortly after I went home. She was about 42.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Janet and I each have 2 of 'em and use the heck out of 'em. Think 'Provape' quality of the mod and customer support.

Didn't know that, I've been taking mine daily after lunch along w/ my other pills.
I take all mine at night because most of them make me sleepy which helps with the insomnia. I occasionally have to take the BP med a couple of times a day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
What is this JAC of which you speak?

I've been so out of touch with new stuff cause I have everything I need and am very happy with it, but my curiosity has peeked!

JAC Series B w/ a mini Berserker ... a great combo. Regardless the dna 75 chip, we use them in power mode.

IMG_7118.JPG

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I'm lucky that my BP has never been higher than "high normal". Ever since I quit smoking it hasn't even gotten that high. I can't remember what it was during my physical, something like 127/68 maybe. The nurse said "your BP is excellent". My lung function was good and my blood oxygen level was 97%. Back when I smoked, it would dip below 95 and I would have to consciously do deep breathing to get it up to 95. The eye surgeon, the gastroenterologist and the oral surgeon all needed to see it at 95 or higher before they'd administer anesthesia.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Wildlife, especially birds are also having an aweful time finding food because of all the snow and there are reports of huge numbers of them starving to death. If you want to help them here is how I did it several years ago a late freak snowstorm left a flock of about 60 robins stranded and starving on my farm in northern KY. I had to come up with something that was soft (since robins are not seed eaters) they could pick up and swallow in one bite since that is their mode of feeding. And it had to be a food high in protein and fat that wouldn't freeze very fast since robins eat soft foods and are unable to grab a food item, hold it between their feet and peck away…like many other bird species do. Here is what I came up with and kept them alive for about a week until the snow melted.

I made sandwiches with loaves of store-bought bread and a thin coat of peanut butter. Then I cut each sandwich into 1/2" squares or smaller. I spread a bunch of them on an old cookie sheet to see if they would eat it. They were so hungry they rarely came down to eat…every bite. It was so cold I could only put down what they consumed in an hour or so. I fed them 4-5 times a day.

I also cooked rice with peanut butter and raisins mixed in. With some 60 birds and what I put out being their only source of food I had to make large batches of food. They git so used to me feeding them that after the first two days they came down from the trees while I was still pretty close.

Since then I have made these pb sandwiches many times while we lived up north to feed many other species during bad weather.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Wildlife, especially birds are also having an aweful time finding food because of all the snow and there are reports of huge numbers of them starving to death.

Since then I have made these pb sandwiches many times while we lived up north to feed many other species during bad weather.
Yes. It is a crisis situation. The rescuers can save so few. :(

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
High cholesterol & high bp runs in the family. Both sides. My paternal GM & all 5 of her siblings multiple bypass surgeries. I was 4 when she had one surgery & I remember I'd spent a couple of weeks with them & she went in for surgery shortly after I went home. She was about 42.
Wow!

High cholesterol and heart disease run in my family too. Both sides of the family.
JAC Series B w/ a mini Berserker ... a great combo. Regardless the DNA 75 chip, we use them in power mode.

View attachment 736965
Nice! Love the rings, Mike. ;)

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida

JAC Series B w/ a mini Berserker ... a great combo. Regardless the DNA 75 chip, we use them in power mode.

View attachment 736965
Odda my goodness!
Two mini Beserkers were my last purchase about 3 months ago, and before that, had to be a year or more! Yes, I am well supplied!! :) but, but but

But now, shinyitis has popped its head again. Must be Spring! ;)

Did you buy from the site that D/H posted?

My time these days doesn't allow me to peruse the threads as I once did, but maybe I should make room for two more......Classies and the Jac thread?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread