Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@Uncle, if we are down that way I will definitely let you know! I would love to meet you. We have "known" each other for many years on ECF - remember all those contests?

4_6_202vgif-1.gif
Thanks - that would be great and of course the feeling is the same . . .

BTW: Still playing the contest here and see you are too - should I "Tag" Ya' if I don't already see ya' in the thread . . . ;)

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Owner handled. His breeder showed him to his Championship (Bred by exhibitor), I am specialing him. I owner handled my past Tervs to their Championships, but never really specialed them..
What is "specialing" and "tracking"?

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Boy, our Easter service was packed!

Seriously ... I arrived a 1/2hr earlier to church than normal and boy was I glad I did. Shortly after sitting down the throngs started to arrive and packed the church to standing room only. I suppose that's a good thing but where are they the other 51 weeks of the year.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
What is "specialing" and "tracking"?
"Specialing" is showing a Champion in Best of Breed. There are now levels of Grand Champion, where points you earn by going Best of Breed or Select (Judges determination that if the dog he selected as Best of Breed wasn't there, the select dog would have won. Same with Best of Opposite Sex - there is 1 select male who gets points based on how many males showed, and one select female, same determination). Geordi needs 10 more points to include 1 major (a win worth 3 points or more, depends on number of entries and placement) to be a Grand Champion. They need 25 points, 3 majors (he has 2), and to beat 3 other specials ( he had 2 already but more than fulfilled that one requirement with his Best of Breed a few weeks ago).

Tracking, basically, is where a track layer lays a track and the dog/handler follow the scent to a glove. The judges "design" the track, track layer lays, tracking team attempts to follow the scent to a glove scented by the track layer. There are various levels of tracking, but it's all about teaching the dog to use his nose (very well developed in dogs) and the tracker/handler is along for the ride. They must read the dog's body language as to when they are on the track and when they loose the track. If the dog looses the track you try to help, or at least stay out of his/her way. Only the dog (and track layer and judges) knows where the track really is. It's all about the dog and his/her nose. Fascinating work. Spock and I got his TD, the first level of tracking, but then life got in the way before we could continue. I miss the fields!! But I did hook up with some local trackers, so I fields are in my dreams!

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    balifur (2).jpg
    Cathy's post made me drag out some old pics of my showing days. This one was when I was a professional handler and showed this dog at the Mt Hood Shiz Tzu Specialty show. Finished his Am Championship with a Best of Opposite Sex win over specials (already champions). This was almost my last show, I got tired of the politics but it was my life for several years.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Well I’m back in the hospital again. I thought things were going along ok with Ginny this morning till I needed something mistake. I want to know what I have to be able to do to get out this time when I go in. I’m so sick of theses places I could spit. Home to home hospital to hospital never really knowing what needs to be accomplished

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Seriously ... I arrived a 1/2hr earlier to church than normal and boy was I glad I did. Shortly after sitting down the throngs started to arrive and packed the church to standing room only. I suppose that's a good thing but where are they the other 51 weeks of the year.
    To be fair, we are Evangelical so all of us come most times. The difference was because they cancelled all youth groups and such. Was nice also meeting visitors.
    Happy Easter, sir.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    I went to the 7:30 AM Mass today. Yep, that one, too. I think everyone sat. Really didn't think to look around. There was a traffic jam of early comers for the 9:00 Mass when we were leaving.

clnire

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    Florida
    View attachment 810659 Cathy's post made me drag out some old pics of my showing days. This one was when I was a professional handler and showed this dog at the Mt Hood Shiz Tzu Specialty show. Finished his Am Championship with a Best of Opposite Sex win over specials (already champions). This was almost my last show, I got tired of the politics but it was my life for several years.
    Love it! Belgians are mostly owner handled, but the politics are ever present. I come from the performance world, thus my thrill about tracking. Judge us for our teamwork, not who is on the end of the leash or grooms better. Yes, hands on should tell, but, well, you know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread