Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
starting to feel some throat irritation that I didn't sense until lately when I mixed up some juice at 6mg/ml instead of my usual 3mg/ml.

Nic might be fine, it's just twice as strong as you normally vape?

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
By all I've read, the darkening of nic base is harmless. It should make no difference in how it vapes or how strong it is. I would look for some other reason for the unexpected extra TH. Maybe, as David says, the doubling of strength?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We got nic 2+ years old that is still crystal clear. My wife rebottles it when it arrives into blue bottles ... then to the freezer.

My two liters have been at 70 degree room temp for 2 1/2 years in a box shielded from light. It only yellowed slightly over time as I used it straight from the LDPE liter bottle. By the time I transferred it to clear glass Boston Rounds 8oz bottles it had taken on a dark yellow brown color and a musky flavor that's noticeable even in my unflavored juice mixes. The change from yellow to dark brown actually occurred rapidly after the two year mark. It's just been in the last few months that I began to notice more TH.

My new liter will go into glass and into the freezer immediately. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Nic might be fine, it's just twice as strong as you normally vape?

By all I've read, the darkening of nic base is harmless. It should make no difference in how it vapes or how strong it is. I would look for some other reason for the unexpected extra TH. Maybe, as David says, the doubling of strength?

I've vaped at 3mg strength for a long time (started 8 years ago at 24mg). Recently, I mixed up a couple of bottles at 6mg and 9mg strength just to see if doubling/tripling nic would reduce my 10ml/day juice consumption. That's when I noticed the altered taste in my DIY juices. I also began to notice it in my 3mg/ml unflavored mix and more in the 6mg and 9mg strengths. It was enough to mask the sweetness of unflavored juice.

I have a liter of ECX 100mg nic on the way for comparison/replacement. I can compare 9mg strength using the fresh nic to see if it's strength or aged nic that's affecting the flavor.

Considering how long those two liters have lasted (used half a liter since summer 2016), I can start over if I have to and do it right by freezing it while it's fresh.

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
My two liters have been at 70 degree room temp for 2 1/2 years in a box shielded from light. It only yellowed slightly over time as I used it straight from the LDPE liter bottle. By the time I transferred it to glass bottles it had taken on a dark brown color and a musky flavor that's noticeable even in my unflavored juice mixes. The change from yellow to dark brown actually occurred rapidly after the two year mark.

My new liter will go into glass and into the freezer immediately. Lesson learned.
I kept mine in the unopened liter bottle for about six months. Then I broke it down into the bottles. If you want to conserve on the purchase of the smaller glass bottles, just leave your unopened liters in the freezer until you have used up the previous one.

My LUC charger died yesterday, after four years of constant use. It was a sad passing. I think the one I ordered from Liion is identical. Also two more batteries for my Provari babies.

Still not using my Nemmies; in enough pain from my back that I don't want to add to it by irritating my left thumb. Hopefully my home BP machine will give them all the information needed to do something about it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I kept mine in the unopened liter bottle for about six months. Then I broke it down into the bottles. If you want to conserve on the purchase of the smaller glass bottles, just leave your unopened liters in the freezer until you have used up the previous one.

My LUC charger died yesterday, after four years of constant use. It was a sad passing. I think the one I ordered from Liion is identical. Also two more batteries for my Provari babies.

Six months ago when I re-bottled it the nic looked like this. Now, it's several shades darker. I just want to compare the vape with some fresh nic to see the difference. I'll probably freeze and keep this for FDA insurance along with the new ECX nic.

NicPic.jpg

I just put my years old LUC 4 charger back into use after using the Xtar VC4 for a year or so. You can't beat the LUC chargers for durability. I like being able to charge 4 bays at 1A. Not all chargers can do that.

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Six months ago when I re-bottled it the nic looked like this. Now, it's several shades darker. I just want to compare the vape with some fresh nic to see the difference. I'll probably freeze and keep this for FDA insurance along with the new ECX nic.

View attachment 737843

I just put my years old LUC 4 charger back into use after using the Xtar VC4 for a year or so. You can't beat the LUC chargers for durability. I like being able to charger 4 bays at 1A. Not all chargers can do that.
I wouldn't touch that nic. If I had no other choice, I would go back to 0mg. Mine died and mine coming soon is two-bay.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

View attachment 737843

I just put my years old LUC 4 charger back into use after using the Xtar VC4 for a year or so. You can't beat the LUC chargers for durability. I like being able to charger 4 bays at 1A. Not all chargers can do that.

Wow ... that looks like a bottle lager or ice tea ... not nic.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wouldn't touch that nic. If I had no other choice, I would go back to 0mg. Mine died and mine coming soon is two-bay.

I'm vaping some HS Desert Ship I mixed up 3 weeks ago at 3mg strength and the nic bite is there, but not as strong as my 6mg or 9mg strength.

It will be interesting to see if juice with new nic is smoother and tastier.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Looking at the bottles today, there's a dark reddish brown tint instead of the golden yellow brown in the picture I posted above from 6 months ago. It's definitely taking on a darker patina over time. With the money I saved over vendor juice prices in the last two years I can afford to trash it and replace the nic.

ETA: It might make good fire ant treatment.

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have in the past been a little slow to get my nic into the freezer. But, I have been good about keeping it away from light and heat.

One bottle of nic I opened did look a lot like yours, Dave. It's used up now. The TH did seem stronger.

I hope none of my other nic has turned like that.

My new liter of nic from e-liq should be coming today.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have in the past been a little slow to get my nic into the freezer. But, I have been good about keeping it away from light and heat.

One bottle of nic I opened did look a lot like yours, Dave. It's used up now. The TH did seem stronger.

I hope none of my other nic has turned like that.

My new liter of nic from e-liq should be coming today.

Mine has lived in the dark inside the house in the laundry room. From my experience at room temp I'm convinced that unless nic is going to be used the first year it needs to be frozen. Mine is MFS nic at room temp (68F to 72F) for about a year and 8 months. It was nice and clear with just a faint hint of yellow tint when I got it in mid 2016.

It's a shame that none of us have enough faith in the FDA to buy smaller bottles and replace them as they get used. That said, small bottles add up quickly to much more than the price of a liter.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If i were you i would only use that brown nic to keep the slugs an snails of your vegie patch.

In the South we have huge fire ant mounds. I buy the fire ant killer and spread the granules around the mounds. The workers are supposed to feed it to the queen. There's always a queen left to start another one. Nic down the center of the mound should help kill them off without relying on a turncoat worker ant to do the job!

Once ECX ships my replacement nic I'll get rid of the six 8oz bottles I have left that were repackaged for the freezer. I have a few fire ant mounds in my sights.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Better watch out that the Ants do not start Phase IV.

Ants are way too intelligent. We've always been able to use Terro in the kitchen to eradicate the ant invaders. This time they sent tiny ants who don't care for sweets. I guess these are grease ants. I bought Amdro ant stakes and stuck them along the wall under the kitchen window. Didn't see any for a while and now they are sending out scouts again.

I think they have work group meetings to plan their attacks.

Last edited:

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
In the South we have huge fire ant mounds. I buy the fire ant killer and spread the granules around the mounds. The workers are supposed to feed it to the queen. There's always a queen left to start another one. Nic down the center of the mound should help kill them off without relying on a turncoat worker ant to do the job!

Once ECX ships my replacement nic I'll get rid of the six 8oz bottles I have left that were repackaged for the freezer. I have a few fire ant mounds in my sights.
I don't think I'm the only one here who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that dark nic base and nic which is brand new and crystal clear.

Artistic, sadistic way to kill ants:

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Looks like you would need to dilute your "disposable" (I don't think you need to dispose of it) nic base to about two gallons per mound to be reasonably sure of spreading out to all the branches of the mound, and that's two gallons per mound.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm working on a 4 year old bottle of nic and it's perfect.
Kept in the freezer all the time.

You did it right. I procrastinated until it was too late. For over a year I'd look down into the liter when I'd mix and it was clear. Then, it showed a slight yellow tint. I still wasn't worried. The next time it was a bold yellow. Brown came quickly after that and darkened at a more rapid pace.

I have the bottles ready to split and freeze nic as soon as the new liter arrives. :)

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I have the bottles ready to split and freeze nic as soon as the new liter arrives. :)
You can put the nic in the freezer, but you can't freeze the nic, at least not with any freezer designed for residential use. Annoying technical correction. :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread