Status
Not open for further replies.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Well, as someone who has set things on fire with light bulbs under the mattress; flying embers in the wood pile; numerous mattresses, pillows, rugs, clothing, etc. with cigarettes; and maybe a few other inadvertent accidental combustion events*, let me say that cigarettes were the worst among these for sheer danger and financial loss. At least that's been my personal experience.

============
* Oh, I forgot burning Christmas wrapping in the fireplace causing a chimney fire which called out the Fire Department on Christmas morning.

It wasn't me that goofed here, but a painter who left a worklight too close to something flammable while he went out to get supper:(this cost my insurance more by a factor of about 2500 than all the accidental fires I caused cost me)
aaa_001.jpg

aaa_011.jpg

aaa_026.jpg

aaa_035.jpg

aaa_038.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Well, as someone who has set things on fire with light bulbs under the mattress; flying embers in the wood pile; numerous mattresses, pillows, rugs, clothing, etc. with cigarettes; and maybe a few other inadvertent accidental combustion events*, let me say that cigarettes were the worst among these for sheer danger and financial loss. At least that's been my personal experience.

============
* Oh, I forgot burning Christmas wrapping in the fireplace causing a chimney fire which called out the Fire Department on Christmas morning.

It wasn't me that goofed here, but a painter who left a worklight too close to something flammable while he went out to get supper:(this cost my insurance more by a factor of about 2500 than all the accidental fires I caused cost me)
aaa_001.jpg

aaa_011.jpg

aaa_026.jpg

aaa_035.jpg

aaa_038.jpg

:shock: My lord, that's a lot of close encounters to say nothing of the building fire. :shock:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

============

aaa_001.jpg

aaa_011.jpg

aaa_026.jpg

aaa_035.jpg

aaa_038.jpg
Whoa!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
I now take fire risk, prevention, and suppression seriously. I have smoke and/or heat detectors in every room as well as combustion gas (natural gas or propane) and CO detectors. I have the entire house protected by wet sprinklers, and the library/computer room protected by an FM-200 system (like Halon) because there is no point in destroying what you are trying to save.

I have a dozen or more large portable fire extinguishers (10A-60BC) around the house and shops (including some "clean" types which leave no corrosive powder behind, but are not quite as strong (1A-10BC) as regular dry chemical). They get checked for pressure a couple of times a year and recharged in rotation every few years. (Note that none of these is rated for a lithium battery fire - a bucket of sand is about as good as most homes can afford, or carry it outside in a metal wastebasket and drop it away from the house.)

I have a buried 10,000 gallon water tank which feeds the sprinklers and provides the fire department (via a standpipe) with 6 minutes of water to use until the first of the tanker trucks arrive. (We have a very slow well - max 8 gallons per minute - and no nearby standing water, like a pond or river.) The fire in the pictures above took nearly thirty tanker-loads to fight. Eleven local cooperating volunteer fire departments sent trucks and men.

I now know better than to insulate anything that generates heat (light bulbs, any electronics including cell phones, laptops).

I also no longer smoke, which probably makes more difference to my fire risk than all the above put together.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well I learned a lesson today. Don't fall asleep with your DNA with Temp unlocked. I accidently shut the temp off and got 40w of straight power to a single wire 6 wrap .5 ohm coil. Man that woke me up.
Legs, did you ever figure out why your K5 was leaking? I have one that's started.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Legs, did you ever figure out why your K5 was leaking? I have one that's started.

Where's it leaking from? I had one start to weep through the air holes. Turned out I thinned the tails of the wick too much. Re-wicked with my more normal amount of 'tail' and it was fine again.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Man oh man, I want to read every page of all 5 parts of this one. But being a middle aged person (afterall 50 is the new 30), I fear I won't be on the earth long enough to read them all.

For me it's not the age. It's the mileage. So to slow down the clock I've begun some lifestyle changes. I got sober in my 30's. That was a difficult task, especially while going through divorce. But that was nothing compared to a 40+ year cigarette habit.

Oh I've quit cold turkey a few times. Six months one time. This time the goal is to make it a permanent thing. Trouble is I like 'em. It's a self control issue like with those other things I stopped so long ago. Having learned some lessons from past efforts I'm going about it differently this time.

I had a scare recently. When you're scared you'll do anything to make it go away. Yet the fear subsided little by little and the cigarette battles became more difficult, what with work stress, idle times and numerous firmly entrenched habits.

I began with a pre-filled cig-a-like box device but it was harsh. Next was a refillable pod that I still use at times at work where my job is outdoors. Yup, we can still smoke outside where I live. My brother got me hooked on flavor.

Many of my former school mates, who like me picked up the habit between 12 and 14 use tobacco flavors in pods. They insist on cig-a-like as possible. Good on them. Kudos I say. But I'm more looking for things that make my taste buds prefer something over a cigarette taste.

I still smoke. But a lot less in a month. Like 75% less. And my pod filled with tobacco flavored 50/50 is the reason. It "smokes" like an ultralight. I discovered a few drops of fruit in the mix causes an aftertaste my brain prefers over the ultralight analog.

Now being kinda young at heart I checked into all those new fangled devices and actually enjoy some 'tank action' after work or in my den. On the construction site a pod is more practical as it replaces the cigarette pack in my shirt pocket well too. And pods are sippers as well. I'm on week 3 with an 8ml tank that's about half gone. It has replaced a few of my favorite cigarettes episodes too. After meals, during morning movements, while carrying on a conversation where I'd typically smoke etc. When someone lights up near me I pull out the pod and join in.

Being closer to the Price is Right age than the MTV age now it's refreshing to see a lot of like minded people here. Recently my wife approached a band of young vapors at her work and showed them her new pen. She said they chuckled saying stuff like "aint that cute". She said she felt a bit of shame like back in high school when folks made fun of your (insert item here). When cloud chasers scoff at my pod I say "can you use that in a movie theatre? An elevator? In the office, when nobody is looking?" The response is "of course not". Mine is "I can".... that has been followed by "can I see that thing?"

I also notice in vape shops when carrying on a conversation they whip out little credit card style devices. I pull out my JoyeTech Penguin and join in. But vape shops around me cater to what sells best. And lately that has nearly enough cold cranking amps to start your car with tank tips like a garden hose.

It's great to read all the folks being helped by vaping versus the cigarette. And bravo to all who successfully stopped smoking and stuck it out. I aim to join you real soon.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Where's it leaking from? I had one start to weep through the air holes. Turned out I thinned the tails of the wick too much. Re-wicked with my more normal amount of 'tail' and it was fine again.
I can't tell where it's coming from. I always have juice on the bottom of the tank & the top of the 510 on the mod. Not a puddle so much, but almost.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Man oh man, I want to read every page of all 5 parts of this one. But being a middle aged person (afterall 50 is the new 30), I fear I won't be on the earth long enough to read them all.

For me it's not the age. It's the mileage. So to slow down the clock I've begun some lifestyle changes. I got sober in my 30's. That was a difficult task, especially while going through divorce. But that was nothing compared to a 40+ year cigarette habit.

Oh I've quit cold turkey a few times. Six months one time. This time the goal is to make it a permanent thing. Trouble is I like 'em. It's a self control issue like with those other things I stopped so long ago. Having learned some lessons from past efforts I'm going about it differently this time.

I had a scare recently. When you're scared you'll do anything to make it go away. Yet the fear subsided little by little and the cigarette battles became more difficult, what with work stress, idle times and numerous firmly entrenched habits.

I began with a pre-filled cig-a-like box device but it was harsh. Next was a refillable pod that I still use at times at work where my job is outdoors. Yup, we can still smoke outside where I live. My brother got me hooked on flavor.

Many of my former school mates, who like me picked up the habit between 12 and 14 use tobacco flavors in pods. They insist on cig-a-like as possible. Good on them. Kudos I say. But I'm more looking for things that make my taste buds prefer something over a cigarette taste.

I still smoke. But a lot less in a month. Like 75% less. And my pod filled with tobacco flavored 50/50 is the reason. It "smokes" like an ultralight. I discovered a few drops of fruit in the mix causes an aftertaste my brain prefers over the ultralight analog.

Now being kinda young at heart I checked into all those new fangled devices and actually enjoy some 'tank action' after work or in my den. On the construction site a pod is more practical as it replaces the cigarette pack in my shirt pocket well too. And pods are sippers as well. I'm on week 3 with an 8ml tank that's about half gone. It has replaced a few of my favorite cigarettes episodes too. After meals, during morning movements, while carrying on a conversation where I'd typically smoke etc. When someone lights up near me I pull out the pod and join in.

Being closer to the Price is Right age than the MTV age now it's refreshing to see a lot of like minded people here. Recently my wife approached a band of young vapors at her work and showed them her new pen. She said they chuckled saying stuff like "aint that cute". She said she felt a bit of shame like back in high school when folks made fun of your (insert item here). When cloud chasers scoff at my pod I say "can you use that in a movie theatre? An elevator? In the office, when nobody is looking?" The response is "of course not". Mine is "I can".... that has been followed by "can I see that thing?"

I also notice in vape shops when carrying on a conversation they whip out little credit card style devices. I pull out my JoyeTech Penguin and join in. But vape shops around me cater to what sells best. And lately that has nearly enough cold cranking amps to start your car with tank tips like a garden hose.

It's great to read all the folks being helped by vaping versus the cigarette. And bravo to all who successfully stopped smoking and stuck it out. I aim to join you real soon.
Good for you! Ignore the cloud snobs! Flavors rule! I'll be 64 this month & seldom go to a vape shop since I DIY my juice, make my own coils, & have settled on mods that are practically industructable & if I do screw it up I can just send it to the inventor/manufacturer & it would be repaired for nothing more than shipping cost. When I go out I take a little iStick. Those fit in my small purse & aren't as heavy as my other ones. The last time I was in my local shop I went in with the iStick & got those smirks from the kids who proceeded to fog the place up. I gave them a few minutes of condesending chit chat, then went back to my car & got the HexOhm. [emoji83] They were suddenly full of oh's & ahhh's, questions, & wanting to try it. It put their junk to shame. Then they were whining because they couldn't afford one. I told them if they'd stop blowing their paychecks on the "latest thing" & saved a little they could afford one & a backup & be set for life. It was fun to mess with the kids vanity. Now they wave at me in Walmart & ask if I have it with me. >'m the cool Scooter G-ma. I haven't been in a couple of years. I may need to go check out the new kids! [emoji41]

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
Kenna are you sure it is a leak and not condensation etc .

welcome and good luck with quitting this time with the help of a vape .

I quit over 2 years ago like yourself tried everything and failed .Then i discovered vaping and with a few different mods and atty's and early stages of diy juice ie adding extra VG and a few more drops of flavor to dilute my juice nic content down slowly over the course of six months i got to zero nic ,i kept vaping zero nic just as a mental stress helper, one day i went to work and forgot my vape and had no probs as i had quit the nic so slow i didnt even feel any stress or anxiety .

I dont like to be in close quarters with smokers anymore as the smell is horrible and yes i quit a 35+ YR smoking habit with the help of Vaping .

If i can do it after so many fails I am sure you and many others are more than capable of quitting .

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Congrats on the switch (even if in process, and for many it IS a process!) and welcome!

Yep, good on them. What works to get one off cigs is what's right for them. Doesn't matter what any others may say. And any reduction is a positive step. :)

Like many of us who've been vaping a while, I, too, diy my juice and only use rebuildables. Works for me, and that's all I care about :lol: . For me, long ago, getting the right flavors and the right nic % was essential to my success. That was with antique hardware. :cry: But I hit the right combo, and it was goodbye to combustion nic.

Having backups for your gear goes a long way to relieving any vape stress. It's not quite like being able to stop anywhere and pick up a pack. If pods are doing the trick for you, have two or three batteries, and extra pods on hand. (One of the reasons I diy and build, I'll NEVER run out :) )

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
@United States, congrats on figuring it out! And, welcome to ECF! Make yourself at home.

I always swore I wouldn't carry around anything big and non-cig like. At the time, I was referring to an eGo. That didn't last long at all! I use to only drip, but am so addicted to the convenience of tanks!

Convenience and flavor, that's what it's all about for me.

@Kenna, you show that thing off, girl! It's amazing!

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Hey I tried whoever it was told me how to clean my SS coils and worked pretty good. Only thing I changed was heated the coil up not quite glowing and cleaned it with a denture brush with a little water on it and so far so good. Even came out shiny but it was brass color instead of SS. Seems to be working well. Only thing is these Sirens seem to suck up the juice fast.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Welcome @United States ! For many it is a journey, some of us were lucky and it was easy to switch. For everyone the journey is different, but you are on your way! Feel free to ask questions, someone here will have an answer or be able to steer you in the right direction.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
This thread reeks with irony....

Cleaning coils with a denture brush. lol. Get it? Old people? Dentures?

My pop had a denture brush. I asked "why a not a toothbrush?"
He replied "because I have a denture brush".
"Why do you have a denture brush dad?"
"Because I don't any teeth".

My pop (RIP) was a basic person who taught me 'right tool for the right job' and that sometimes spending a few extra bucks up front saves dollars later. He called that "value".

I don't think he would've vaped. "Dam thing is made in China". "Might blow up in my face" etc. But I'd bet a Pepsi he'd put a few drops of Black Note Prelude in his nebulizer there at the end.

He ailed from all kinds of parts that wear out as time passes. His heart was the part that failed completely in the end. He was given 2 years so live if he didn't stop smoking and passed 12 years after that.... still a smoker. He passed during his 'after Price is Right nap'.

But what made me want to stop smoking was his clogged arteries and veins that came from smoking. I have that pending if I don't stop. Yet today a follow up with a heart doctor showed I'm good to go. I proudly pulled out my new Aspire Rover X kit from my pocket and said "check out my new cigarette doc". He smiled and said in a broken English Korean accent "dam good idea".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread