Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
What I've noticed is after the first dry burn they either gunk up faster or it takes a higher temp to get it to work right. Probably both. They just didn't seem to work any where close to a new coil in flavor or temp. For me tho you can't beat SS for TC and flavor. I've used Ti, NiFe, NI200 which I hated. Maybe it's just me but nothing works like a new coil. Even with Kanthal. But try as I do I still like TC the best for vaping, just more work which I'm not into at present. Maybe I'll give it another try and I may get some 28 and try it. 26 is nice tho. 28 used to be my go to with Kanthal before they got SS to work with TC, I sort of liked Ti for a while but I just threw a new 100' spool of it away. IMO too dangerous.

I've tried 26ga, but 28ga heats faster at 10W. SS316L has been my go to wire for years. I try not to let it heat too much when dry burning. Once it glows dull red the juice is cooked off and I dunk it under the sink tap to cool it, then rub it with my finger and dunk it again . If it's not nice and smooth after that I wind a new one.

I just wet it before dry burning and run the wick back and forth to clean the inside before pulling out the wick.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I've tried 26ga, but 28ga heats faster at 10W. SS316L has been my go to wire for years. I try not to let it heat too much when dry burning. Once it glows dull red the juice is cooked off and I dunk it under the sink tap to cool it, then rub it with my finger and dunk it again . If it's not nice and smooth after that I wind a new one.

I just wet it before dry burning and run the wick back and forth to clean the inside before pulling out the wick.
Maybe I'll give it a try. I do run my DNA's at 40w in TC so it has that much power available and it heats nearly instantly at 425 degrees. Also I have noticed that the Siren 2 fades on TC gotta keep adding more heat. KF K5 seems to work better for that.

Well I'm trying something different. I am running my SS316L coil which in size is exactly the same as my Kanthal coil in Power mode. With the Sirens I am getting a smoother vape at the same power 13w with the SS. By rights it should take more power to my way of thinking because the SS is .5ohms Kanthal is 1ohm. But seems fine. So will give this a try for a while.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Maybe I'll give it a try. I do run my DNA's at 40w in TC so it has that much power available and it heats nearly instantly at 425 degrees. Also I have noticed that the Siren 2 fades on TC gotta keep adding more heat. KF K5 seems to work better for that.

Well I'm trying something different. I am running my SS316L coil which in size is exactly the same as my Kanthal coil in Power mode. With the Sirens I am getting a smoother vape at the same power 13w with the SS. By rights it should take more power to my way of thinking because the SS is .5ohms Kanthal is 1ohm. But seems fine. So will give this a try for a while.

Same power with the two coils, but different voltage to achieve that wattage in power mode. Power = voltage ^2/resistance . Like you said, It takes more voltage to maintain the the same power if the resistance rises. Your variable mod does that automatically.

Maybe one of the coils does heat faster. The 1 ohm coil may be slower to reach temperature than the .5. I think you said both are same size and gauge, same number of wraps?

Last edited:

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Same power with the two coils, but different voltage to achieve that wattage in power mode. Power = voltage ^2/resistance . Like you said, It takes more voltage to maintain the the same power if the resistance rises. Your variable mod does that automatically.

Maybe one of the coils does heat faster. The 1 ohm coil may be slower to reach temperature than the .5. I think you said both are same size and gauge, same number of wraps?
Yep

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Dang we have an Air Quality alert and a Fire Weather watch for our are started this morning. Those 100+ temps should just be great, just what we need. They have a small fire here now and before they can get it contained it has usually taken homes. We are a disaster waiting to happen.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I got fed up with TC and its hit and miss vaping. I got lots of 24-30 gauge SS I'll prolly not use. I found using 29 gauge is a nice middle ground, 28 requires a massive 3.5ID clapton to get near 1.4Ω taking up all the airflow space in my STM. 30 gauge is too thin and looses its strength then becomes easy to distort after a couple dryburns especially trying to wick with rayon. 29K/34SS clapton is a 2.5ID 5 wrap to target 1.4Ω and its holds its shape quite nicely.
I'm just assuming 2legsshrt is a tootle puffer and looking for higher ohm builds.
I have a glass dropper with water and its quite surprising how well the coil cleans putting a couple drops of water onto a hot coil, scraping cooties then blot off the excess and repeat a few times.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
... I found using 29 gauge is a nice middle ground ...

I quite agree ... 29 gauge Kanthal is all I've used for a couple-few years now. I don't wrap fancy coils just just a simple 7 wrap on a 2.5mm rod brings me to 1.6-1.7Ωs on the variety of atty's I use. I explored TC twice ... never could get a consistent vape from it they way I liked so its all Kanthal builds now in power mode.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I never ordered again, but I loved the Sweet Mango h the Strawberry Fields. The shipping was too much to keep on with it. 10.00 I think.
@Kenna are you still using those Israeli flavorings or juices?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
As far as wire goes I never realy got into temp control as it seemed like lots of grief at the time .

so i have lots of kanthal and 28 awg is my happy medium .I also had a shopping spree some time back with the demon killer fancy wires and got one of each of their spools and i have a few shots of clapton wire here and there from thunderbird creations and a few others .

so for the past year or so all ive realy used is clappys aliens and fused staggered clappys etc etc .

I am a kinda stealth and mild vaper when out and about ,but at home im a cloud beast as i make my own juice and love trying out fancy crazy builds in my steamcrave TITAN on the series deck i have a cool 1.? ohm build in there at present and its a nice cool vape but a real cloud monster and the flavor from such a large atty is absolutly incredible .

also i have tried a few different wire compositions and always come back to kanthal as its just so user friendly to clean and burn etc .

the last pic is just to show a pretty high ohm build on the series deck and it was before i glowed pinched and settled the coils in to get rid of any hot spots etc .

the other coils in 1st 2 pics i have running in series at around 0.68 ohms and they are full on flavor .

i like cool and warm vapes never been into hot vapes to much as i like fruity custard and yoghurt flavors and a hot strawberry yoghurt just dont seem right as its meant to be cold and bannanas and custard is also better as a cold pudding than a hot mess . Just my taste i guess.

series deck staggered clappy build.jpg
Titan staggered clappy tweaks.jpg
1.64 ohm series build.jpg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
As far as wire goes I never realy got into temp control as it seemed like lots of grief at the time .

so i have lots of kanthal and 28 awg is my happy medium .I also had a shopping spree some time back with the demon killer fancy wires and got one of each of their spools and i have a few shots of clapton wire here and there from thunderbird creations and a few others .

so for the past year or so all ive realy used is clappys aliens and fused staggered clappys etc etc .

I am a kinda stealth and mild vaper when out and about ,but at home im a cloud beast as i make my own juice and love trying out fancy crazy builds in my steamcrave TITAN on the series deck i have a cool 1.? ohm build in there at present and its a nice cool vape but a real cloud monster and the flavor from such a large atty is absolutly incredible .

also i have tried a few different wire compositions and always come back to kanthal as its just so user friendly to clean and burn etc .

the last pic is just to show a pretty high ohm build on the series deck and it was before i glowed pinched and settled the coils in to get rid of any hot spots etc .

the other coils in 1st 2 pics i have running in series at around 0.68 ohms and they are full on flavor .

i like cool and warm vapes never been into hot vapes to much as i like fruity custard and yoghurt flavors and a hot strawberry yoghurt just dont seem right as its meant to be cold and bannanas and custard is also better as a cold pudding than a hot mess . Just my taste i guess.

View attachment 759537 View attachment 759539 View attachment 759541
Those are some nice coils!

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

View attachment 759537 View attachment 759539 View attachment 759541

Nice!

Um, a DNA board with only a preset 3 step range? Easy enough to remember, what's the point of Replay? :?:

Did you ever take a 'hit' and think wow, that's perfect? With Replay, when that happens, presss the Replay button and it will duplicate it again and again until you change your mind and either turn it off or reset it for your next 'perfect' hit.

From the little I've heard about the DNA-Go board so far, it doesn't sound like it's a Temp Control board like all the previous DNA boards in that you don't set/choose a temp limit and watts. I'm unsure if the 3 setting are based on temp or watts.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Well I learned a lesson today. Don't fall asleep with your DNA with Temp unlocked. I accidently shut the temp off and got 40w of straight power to a single wire 6 wrap .5 ohm coil. Man that woke me up.

:vapor::evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread