Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
@United States, congrats on figuring it out! And, welcome to ECF! Make yourself at home.

I always swore I wouldn't carry around anything big and non-cig like. At the time, I was referring to an eGo. That didn't last long at all! I use to only drip, but am so addicted to the convenience of tanks!

Convenience and flavor, that's what it's all about for me.

@Kenna, you show that thing off, girl! It's amazing!
Tada!
b82fffaf959f160e9e85e553f23e5f2c.jpg
696091e9528590df0467591c83c54f88.jpg
24d94fc113592e6c40c22bf58de9d455.jpg
1a741d2d7ea17923921c862904c79a6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Man oh man, I want to read every page of all 5 parts of this one. But being a middle aged person (afterall 50 is the new 30), I fear I won't be on the earth long enough to read them all.

For me it's not the age. It's the mileage. So to slow down the clock I've begun some lifestyle changes. I got sober in my 30's. That was a difficult task, especially while going through divorce. But that was nothing compared to a 40+ year cigarette habit.

Oh I've quit cold turkey a few times. Six months one time. This time the goal is to make it a permanent thing. Trouble is I like 'em. It's a self control issue like with those other things I stopped so long ago. Having learned some lessons from past efforts I'm going about it differently this time.

I had a scare recently. When you're scared you'll do anything to make it go away. Yet the fear subsided little by little and the cigarette battles became more difficult, what with work stress, idle times and numerous firmly entrenched habits.

I began with a pre-filled cig-a-like box device but it was harsh. Next was a refillable pod that I still use at times at work where my job is outdoors. Yup, we can still smoke outside where I live. My brother got me hooked on flavor.

Many of my former school mates, who like me picked up the habit between 12 and 14 use tobacco flavors in pods. They insist on cig-a-like as possible. Good on them. Kudos I say. But I'm more looking for things that make my taste buds prefer something over a cigarette taste.

I still smoke. But a lot less in a month. Like 75% less. And my pod filled with tobacco flavored 50/50 is the reason. It "smokes" like an ultralight. I discovered a few drops of fruit in the mix causes an aftertaste my brain prefers over the ultralight analog.

Now being kinda young at heart I checked into all those new fangled devices and actually enjoy some 'tank action' after work or in my den. On the construction site a pod is more practical as it replaces the cigarette pack in my shirt pocket well too. And pods are sippers as well. I'm on week 3 with an 8ml tank that's about half gone. It has replaced a few of my favorite cigarettes episodes too. After meals, during morning movements, while carrying on a conversation where I'd typically smoke etc. When someone lights up near me I pull out the pod and join in.

Being closer to the Price is Right age than the MTV age now it's refreshing to see a lot of like minded people here. Recently my wife approached a band of young vapors at her work and showed them her new pen. She said they chuckled saying stuff like "aint that cute". She said she felt a bit of shame like back in high school when folks made fun of your (insert item here). When cloud chasers scoff at my pod I say "can you use that in a movie theatre? An elevator? In the office, when nobody is looking?" The response is "of course not". Mine is "I can".... that has been followed by "can I see that thing?"

I also notice in vape shops when carrying on a conversation they whip out little credit card style devices. I pull out my JoyeTech Penguin and join in. But vape shops around me cater to what sells best. And lately that has nearly enough cold cranking amps to start your car with tank tips like a garden hose.

It's great to read all the folks being helped by vaping versus the cigarette. And bravo to all who successfully stopped smoking and stuck it out. I aim to join you real soon.

Hello and welcome to the Front Porch. Glad you found us. After reading your post, I'll wager you fit in around here just fine. I smoked for 45 years and the last years I as at 2+ PDD. I really didn't think I'd ever kick the habbit and was sure it would kill me. I'd seen a couple people using the early version of vape that looked like a pen or even a the size of of cigarette. It intrigued me but I didn't pay much attention to it.

Then my wife said maybe we should look into these e-cigarettes. We both scoured the internet for a month of so then bough our 1st kits. She stopped smoking the day hers arrived, it worked like magic for her. Me not so much, I was a dual user for 2+ months then finally gave up my last smoke. The was 6 1/2 years ago. I still have 2 packs of well aged unopened packs of Marlboro's in my shop and no desire to have a smoke. I haven't had one since I quick all those years back. (Actually I'm afraid to even take a puff, I don't have the desire, and I'm not willing to test my past addiction sucking me back in).

Don't be concerned if your dual using. Keep a positive mindset that you will get off the smokes and work it our on your own terms and timeline. It can be done ... everyone in this thread can attest to that and will be more than willing to offer help and support as you move along your journey to being smoke free.

Again welcome.

Oh, and if you choose here's a link to another thread where a lot of us hang out and talk about just about any thing that pops up beyond vaping. (Well we do try our best to avoid religion and politics over there, which can get pretty 'hot' and 'contested' so we just do our best to avoid that).

Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
This thread reeks with irony....

Cleaning coils with a denture brush. lol. Get it? Old people? Dentures?

My pop had a denture brush. I asked "why a not a toothbrush?"
He replied "because I have a denture brush".
"Why do you have a denture brush dad?"
"Because I don't any teeth".

My pop (RIP) was a basic person who taught me 'right tool for the right job' and that sometimes spending a few extra bucks up front saves dollars later. He called that "value".

I don't think he would've vaped. "Dam thing is made in China". "Might blow up in my face" etc. But I'd bet a Pepsi he'd put a few drops of Black Note Prelude in his nebulizer there at the end.

He ailed from all kinds of parts that wear out as time passes. His heart was the part that failed completely in the end. He was given 2 years so live if he didn't stop smoking and passed 12 years after that.... still a smoker. He passed during his 'after Price is Right nap'.

But what made me want to stop smoking was his clogged arteries and veins that came from smoking. I have that pending if I don't stop. Yet today a follow up with a heart doctor showed I'm good to go. I proudly pulled out my new Aspire Rover X kit from my pocket and said "check out my new cigarette doc". He smiled and said in a broken English Korean accent "dam good idea".
@United States Yes proper tool for proper use. Denture/Coil brush works great. I too have several part prosthetic legs pig valve in my heart which isn't working well, false teeth, hearing aids, glasses. The Denture brush works good for this since it is stiff. Never used it on my dentures. With all that I still have CSS and CHS and CBS.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
so we just do our best to avoid that).
I am guilty of avoiding that because I get so ...... sometimes I have to let it out. But doing better. Only took me 7 years to do. Just don't mention the T word around me. I may have your security clearance revoked.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I used to support one side. And get all mad at the audacity that others would vote that other side. "Whatz wrong with you people?"....
Then one day I realized "wait a second, my side are just as crooked as the other side". Haven't been bothered by politics ever since. I vote, yes. But it's not up to me alone who wins.

Now in my state last year it came down to one vote in the state house. The votes cast in that district were tied. Strangely enough that paper ballot had one candidates name circled with an X in the box for the other. Judges were perplexed as to who the vote was cast for. So they decided it was unknown who the voter had picked. The official policy was to put the top two names in a hat and declare the name drawn the victor.

Now to add more intrigue the number of delegates in the house per party were tied as well. So the one person who won determined the party in charge. I remember thinking that in that instance that one voter who elected not to vote had been the reason their chosen favorite party were not in charge that year.

Once upon a time I used to chain smoke all night on election night. Now I just fall asleep like any other night. What does this have to do with vaping, you ask. I know plenty of folks who resumed smoking the day after a recent presidential election. If only they had known of a nice cool, grape flavored puff from an Innokin Kroma was available.

Changing gears:
I have taken notice of burn holes in some of my clothing as I reach in a shirt pocket for a porta-vaper. And I look forward to the day when that no longer happens. When I got sober I rremember thinking "this is the first X I've been sober at". Funerals, auto races, visiting old friends I used to party with etc. I look forward to vacationing and instead of sitting on a porch viewing a sunset while chain smoking, it'll be puffing on a vaper instead.

So while I fight the daily battle of tobacco addiction I have goals in mind.
Such as:
IMG_20180818_084716.jpg

Last edited:

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Man oh man, I want to read every page of all 5 parts of this one. <snip>
I did that when I joined the group. It takes a while. A lot is just "gossip" and chat, but there are many nuggets of wisdom buried in the chatter. It is also a "crash course" in getting to know the regulars here. Welcome.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
^^ Agreed.

I was just hanging out with my brother (member 'mountainbikermark') who was schooling me on terms and etiquette of vape forums along with some history of this site. He advised me that using the word "smoke" when speaking of a flavor or device rubs some people the wrong way.

Oops, my bad. Won't do it anymore.... well I'll try. But hey, I'm an old guy set in his ways so I may slip up at times (pardon me; "hey kid, get off my lawn") and say it. (I wondered why the youngsters at Avail cringed when I said that word.) He has been vaping since before vaping was cool and has seen a lot of the changes. So I highly value his know how as he shortens my learning curve dramatically. I taught him how to ride a bike at 7. Later he taught me how to fix a broken 3 speed hub bike wheel. He also taught me that when downhilling at 40mph 100 psi in your tires is a bad idea. lol (still limp from that one sometimes.)

We don't see each other a lot for various reasons. I forget why he resumed cigarettes at one point. But he has stopped again and celebrated one month yesterday. It's summer where we live and it's hot. He said his biggest trigger is gatorade. That one surprised me. Gatorade? Really? So I tried some orange. Holy crap!! That is a trigger.... for me too. (Mark that onto the trigger list.) Never woulda thunk it that a thirst quencher was a trigger.

The big thing I learned from him today was the term "steeping". I had instinctively been letting some custom blends set for a few days. But now I know why that works and why on day 1 things didn't taste like I'd imagined.... and why my new bottle of strawberry tasted better after a week. Now here I learned that keeping it in a dark spot in my refridgeorator (spelling?) will keep it like I like it longer.

So hats off to a seasoned member here (my brother) who has helped educate another newbie in the world of vaping.

Last edited:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Hello and welcome to the Front Porch. Glad you found us. After reading your post, I'll wager you fit in around here just fine. I smoked for 45 years and the last years I as at 2+ PDD. I really didn't think I'd ever kick the habbit and was sure it would kill me. I'd seen a couple people using the early version of vape that looked like a pen or even a the size of of cigarette. It intrigued me but I didn't pay much attention to it.

Then my wife said maybe we should look into these e-cigarettes. We both scoured the internet for a month of so then bough our 1st kits. She stopped smoking the day hers arrived, it worked like magic for her. Me not so much, I was a dual user for 2+ months then finally gave up my last smoke. The was 6 1/2 years ago. I still have 2 packs of well aged unopened packs of Marlboro's in my shop and no desire to have a smoke. I haven't had one since I quick all those years back. (Actually I'm afraid to even take a puff, I don't have the desire, and I'm not willing to test my past addiction sucking me back in).

Don't be concerned if your dual using. Keep a positive mindset that you will get off the smokes and work it our on your own terms and timeline. It can be done ... everyone in this thread can attest to that and will be more than willing to offer help and support as you move along your journey to being smoke free.

Again welcome.

Oh, and if you choose here's a link to another thread where a lot of us hang out and talk about just about any thing that pops up beyond vaping. (Well we do try our best to avoid religion and politics over there, which can get pretty 'hot' and 'contested' so we just do our best to avoid that).

Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only
Uh.....the Back Porch isn't for that anymore?

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
^^ Agreed.

I was just hanging out with my brother (member 'mountainbikermark') who was schooling me on terms and etiquette of vape forums along with some history of this site. He advised me that using the word "smoke" when speaking of a flavor or device rubs some people the wrong way.

Oops, my bad. Won't do it anymore.... well I'll try. But hey, I'm an old guy set in his ways so I may slip up at times (pardon me; "hey kid, get off my lawn") and say it. (I wondered why the youngsters at Avail cringed when I said that word.) He has been vaping since before vaping was cool and has seen a lot of the changes. So I highly value his know how as he shortens my learning curve dramatically. I taught him how to ride a bike at 7. Later he taught me how to fix a broken 3 speed hub bike wheel. He also taught me that when downhilling at 40mph 100 psi in your tires is a bad idea. lol (still limp from that one sometimes.)

We don't see each other a lot for various reasons. I forget why he resumed cigarettes at one point. But he has stopped again and celebrated one month yesterday. It's summer where we live and it's hot. He said his biggest trigger is gatorade. That one surprised me. Gatorade? Really? So I tried some orange. Holy crap!! That is a trigger.... for me too. (Mark that onto the trigger list.) Never woulda thunk it that a thirst quencher was a trigger.

The big thing I learned from him today was the term "steeping". I had instinctively been letting some custom blends set for a few days. But now I know why that works and why on day 1 things didn't taste like I'd imagined.... and why my new bottle of strawberry tasted better after a week. Now here I learned that keeping it in a dark spot in my refridgeorator (spelling?) will keep it like I like it longer.

So hats off to a seasoned member here (my brother) who has helped educate another newbie in the world of vaping.
You know how some foods, like soups, chili, casseroles, taste better the second or third day after they were made? And other things, like eggs, hamburgers, steaks, are terrible reheated. Mixing juice is like that. Some just take longer to get happy!

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
It is invigorating reading how many have kicked the habit of tobacco.

I'm working on it day by day. For the last month my weekly intake has gone from 250-250 per week to less than 100. Only 60 last week.
It's a start.

:thumb:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

I'm working on it day by day. For the last month my weekly intake has gone from 250-250 per week to less than 100. Only 60 last week.
It's a start.

Hey, for many (most?) it's not like a light switch, on - off. It's a journey, and you've been taking the right steps. Keep that up, and one day you'll wake up an EX-smoker! :thumb:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Looking forward through a "smoked up" crystal ball makes the view not unlike looking through clear plastic cling wrap known as "Saran Wrap" back in the 70's. Alluminum foil was referred as "Reynolds Wrap" and adhesive bandages as Band Aides....

Point being it's a little blurry. Being I've quit on a whim a few times only to resume for one reason or another, this time I've chosen to take things more in stride while striving to aim for a smoke free path.

A while ago I decided sobriety was my goal. 2 years later I was completely sober. It wasn't a thing of the dangers, the dilemas, or the cost. It was a wake up that I would not put that stuff on my kids cereal so why put it in my body.... would my lawnmower run proper drunk? No, stoned? No.... well then stupid (talking to myself). But a 22+ year lifestyle required some adjusting.

Then one day I was asked "want some?" And the answer was "no thanks". So I figure one week at the grocery store the wife will ask "which cigarettes this week?" and I'll answer "none, thank ya".

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

It's a start.
You are doing great! You'll be astounded at what happens with your taste buds when you are off the tobacco completely. Things that you thought tasted good get soooooo much better!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Keep that up, and one day you'll wake up an EX-smoker! :thumb:
You might, though, periodically dream that you are smoking a cigarette. I have those occasional dreams as well as dreams that I've gone back to work carrying mail for the USPS. Usually, when I have such dreams, they combine both smoking and working. I haven't had a cigarette for 5.5 years, and I've been retired from work for 7 years, but the dreams are so real that instead of waking up and saying "whew, it was only a dream", I wake up wondering if I've got to restart counting my cigarette-free time, and if I've messed up my retirement benefits by going back to work for the same employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread