Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
First post on this thread. Been waiting til I was old enough. Now that I'm 81 I think I maybe qualify. Been using reo mods with small attys for a number of years now.
Going thru my junk I came across a sigelei zmax V3 and a EHPRO kayfun LITE +.
Built a little 1.6 ohm single coil and put some Cotton Bacon in it and wow. Surprise, surprise how well it vaped and tasted. Going back to the old days can be fun. Just saying!
Welcome to the Front Porch! It's about time you dropped by!

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
Its fun to step back once in a while to appreciate the gear of today vs the gear of yesterday. Good ol kayfun is a great retro atty just like the protanks. Once in a while blow the dust off to remember the tight airflow dayz.
I have a couple of old Sigelei Zmax's (bought in a EFC coop in 2013) so no idea the version, one has a wonky fire button that misfired regularly and the other NIB. Pulled the wonky button one out and with nothing to loose took it apart to find that Sigelei used a flat fire button on a curved tube that caused it to misfire along with menu popping up randomly...big hassle having the button move around so much not always making contact. Tightened up the button with a couple dots of electrical tape and they have been flawless since.
But I will say that wicking a kayfun with rayon is amazing compared to the hemp fiber I was using before. The protank on the other hand the rayon really didn't work as well as in other attys and never figured out why.
I bought my Sigelei's locally back in 14. got on the Sigelei thread and found a lot of peeps were having trouble with the buttons and the battery wall collapsing. One of the tech guys in Alabama put a new button in that was supposed to be good for 10,000 hits and also fixed the battery wall to last forever. I sent mine to him and he did the repairs for $10.00. So, I guess I'm good for life. Mine anyway!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The protank on the other hand the rayon really didn't work as well as in other attys and never figured out why.

I found the same, @Alter , and not sure why, either. Likely just not enough tries to get the wick density right, but I was moving into true RBAs then, and didn't bother to pursue it. :) Bigger deck, easier build, better vape, so... ;)

jistjul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hi everyone!
Not sure how I just discovered the front porch! Maybe because I was only a babe of 40 something when I joined. Lemme get my rocker situated a minute...

My husband Eddie and I have been vaping since 2013. Five whole years. Doesn't seem like much in the scheme of things, but it is a milestone. We are your stereotypical "old" people vapers. We stopped our vaping evolution at Provari P3 tube mods and Kayfun single atomizer rebuildables (which I build, Eddie isn't into rebuilding. He can change his wick between builds, but doesn't care for rebuilding--his coils last for months and he can go weeks before changing the cotton) we use 18350 batteries and usually don't vape at more than 8-10 watts on 1.5 - 2.0 atomizers. No temperature control, no dual coils (although I did build dual coils for a short period, I found they weren't necessary for my overall vaping experience and too fussy).

I was on ecf constantly in the first couple of years of vaping and came here for advice on everything, until I began to understand the industry and life got in the way. I tried everything that was being reviewed in the forums, and I only purchased batteries that y'all recommended. Once box mods became the "latest thing" I stopped attempting to up my game. I just don't like the feel of them in my hand. As a therapist, I have to wonder if there is something Freudian about my preference of tube mods...but that's inappropriate. Plus when I think of the fact that my husband prefers tube mods...that debunks my theory.

We were able to introduce vaping to Eddies 70+ year old mother, and considering that his father died at the age of 55 from metastisized lung cancer, we were relieved when she was able to quit smoking and switch to vaping. My daughter picked up my smoking habit at the age of 17, and at the age of 23 was able to switch to vaping. I am hoping that my son and my cousin will find their paths to quitting, as vaping didn't work for them, and my cousin gave it a really good try.

I have always returned to the forum when my busy schedule has allowed, and at times when something wierd was happening and I couldn't find supplies, like when Provari closed and AW had a flood. I get the newsletters and always support any petitions, etc. Currently, I have been researching for the day when our Provari's eventually give up the ghost and we need replacements. We are eyeing the Dani Extreme V3 by Dicode as a suitable replacement. But I will miss my Celtic Knot P3 when that day comes.

Happy to meet all of you on the porch, and looking forward to many more enjoyable talks on the Front Porch!

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Hi everyone!
Not sure how I just discovered the front porch! Maybe because I was only a babe of 40 something when I joined. Lemme get my rocker situated a minute...

My husband Eddie and I have been vaping since 2013. Five whole years. Doesn't seem like much in the scheme of things, but it is a milestone. We are your stereotypical "old" people vapers. We stopped our vaping evolution at Provari P3 tube mods and Kayfun single atomizer rebuildables (which I build, Eddie isn't into rebuilding. He can change his wick between builds, but doesn't care for rebuilding--his coils last for months and he can go weeks before changing the cotton) we use 18350 batteries and usually don't vape at more than 8-10 watts on 1.5 - 2.0 atomizers. No temperature control, no dual coils (although I did build dual coils for a short period, I found they weren't necessary for my overall vaping experience and too fussy).

I was on ecf constantly in the first couple of years of vaping and came here for advice on everything, until I began to understand the industry and life got in the way. I tried everything that was being reviewed in the forums, and I only purchased batteries that y'all recommended. Once box mods became the "latest thing" I stopped attempting to up my game. I just don't like the feel of them in my hand. As a therapist, I have to wonder if there is something Freudian about my preference of tube mods...but that's inappropriate. Plus when I think of the fact that my husband prefers tube mods...that debunks my theory.

We were able to introduce vaping to Eddies 70+ year old mother, and considering that his father died at the age of 55 from metastisized lung cancer, we were relieved when she was able to quit smoking and switch to vaping. My daughter picked up my smoking habit at the age of 17, and at the age of 23 was able to switch to vaping. I am hoping that my son and my cousin will find their paths to quitting, as vaping didn't work for them, and my cousin gave it a really good try.

I have always returned to the forum when my busy schedule has allowed, and at times when something wierd was happening and I couldn't find supplies, like when Provari closed and AW had a flood. I get the newsletters and always support any petitions, etc. Currently, I have been researching for the day when our Provari's eventually give up the ghost and we need replacements. We are eyeing the Dani Extreme V3 by Dicode as a suitable replacement. But I will miss my Celtic Knot P3 when that day comes.

Happy to meet all of you on the porch, and looking forward to many more enjoyable talks on the Front Porch!

@jistjul

Hi ... and welcome to the Front Porch. My wife and are just hit our 7 year smoke free dates, 5 years is a great milestone. You've done well. Janet and I were constant users of Provari Mini's for a long time. Then we switched over to the Radius and haven't looked back. Our P-mini's are in mothballs, but not a thought of getting rid of them.

Caution! It's getting difficult to find reliable/quality 18350 and 18490 button top batteries. It's been all the talk the last couple weeks in the Provari thread. Even though our Provari tubes aren't in our daily rotation ... I just found some eFest button tops at Vixen Vapors on clearance and ordered 6 of each (18350 & 18490) just to add them to our vapepocolypse stash.

Say, you might won't to join us on our Back Porch in the Lounge forum area. We get to chit-chat about most anything in the Lounge.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Welcome, and GREAT job!

Yep, no need to jump on any bandwagon if what you're doing keeps you an ex-smoker! :thumb:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Hi everyone!

Welcome back, & congratulations on all of your v-verts! I usually just clean my coil & rewick, too. I do change out my coils when just rewicking doesn't restore flavor. I do like my box mods. And they are probably heavier than many people like. But the weight & shape work for me because my hands are wonky & they are easier for me to use with dropping, as strange as that sounds. I was so glad to FB ind my forever tanks, mods & flavor it took about 1 1/2 years I guess, & I've been vaping just over 4 1/2 years. I think settling it on 1 tank, mod, & flavor was my goal from the beginning. The flavor search was the most aggravating, & expensive. I wanted to vape certain flavors & just couldn't. But the one or 2 I can vape I can make myself easily.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jistjul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Welcome back, & congratulations on all of your v-verts! I usually just clean my coil & rewick, too. I do change out my coils when just rewicking doesn't restore flavor. I do like my box mods. And they are probably heavier than many people like. But the weight & shape work for me because my hands are wonky & they are easier for me to use with dropping, as strange as that sounds. I was so glad to FB ind my forever tanks, mods & flavor it took about 1 1/2 years I guess, & I've been vaping just over 4 1/2 years. I think settling it on 1 tank, mod, & flavor was my goal from the beginning. The fls CV or search was the most aggravating, & expensive. I wanted to vape certain flavors & just couldn't. But the one or 2 I can vape I can make myself easily.

I understand the desire for just one flavor. I followed and contributed to the thread in which folks voted for their top favorite vendors, and I set out on a mission to try the top 10. It was exhausting! I also wanted to be able to vape certain flavors, but all flavors tasted like chemicals to me no matter how long they did or did not steep, etc. I found one flavor from a specific vendor that tasted like heaven. I still vape it to this day. After the effects of smoking wore off, I found that I have extremely sensitive taste and smell receptors (to Eddie's chagrin--everything "stinks") and I also tend to have very narrow likes and dislikes when it comes to things like my vape flavor and favorite beverages. That is the reason I change my wick daily and my coil weekly. Also, my flavor has elements of chocolate in it, so it gunks up the coil quickly. I think it all boils down to whatever keeps a person off the stinkies!!

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
hey folks, would appreciate some input. I am a MTL all the way. I make micro coils at .o7 ohms or thereabouts and use Ready X wick in 18mm attys. To you cotton users, how long does the cotton last before you have to re wick when using flavored and non flavored juice? Thanks for your help.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I understand the desire for just one flavor.

I had one flavor for years, then I started vaping :)

Couldn't see any reason to stick to just one, since there were lots of tastes to try. I typically have around a dozen mod/tanks going, all different flavors. (And mostly in KF2s.) All home brewed. And have never suffered from vaper's tongue. Heck, I don't eat the same food for every meal, why should I vape the same flavor all the time?

Can't speak to cotton, @olefolks , but yes, sweet and / or dark juices tend to crud the coil fairly quickly. With as many going as I have, can't say that I change wicks every few days, but some flavors I'll dry burn and rewick after just 3 or 4 tanks. (The rayon, when rinsed, is good as new, but of course it has to come out to dry burn.) Coils themselves, with maintenance, go many months.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
To you cotton users, how long does the cotton last before you have to re wick when using flavored and non flavored juice? Thanks for your help.
I'm not a cotton user but know enough about cotton wicking and its properties...
How long cotton lasts depends:
--cotton flows inside the fiber thus the expanding so too much cotton chokes the build, too little just burns from lack of wire contact.
--overheat the build slightly, you burn the juice into the cotton fibers= no more flow in the overheated fibers.
--just the natural vaping of juice will start to plug up fibers from the sweetener content of the juice. This happens immediately after your first hit off a new build and continues after the vape as long as your hearing crackling after in the atty.
--overheat a green build with too much power again your plugging up the cotton fibers.
Cotton can last anywhere from your too hot under primed first hit off a new build up to a few days before performance drops from clogged fibers not moving juice to the coil.
Rayon is a much superior wicking material from the juice flows outside the fiber thus your coil poops out long before the rayon. I can get week+ and longer using my DIY tobacs.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
hey folks, would appreciate some input. I am a MTL all the way. I make micro coils at .o7 ohms or thereabouts and use Ready X wick in 18mm attys. To you cotton users, how long does the cotton last before you have to re wick when using flavored and non flavored juice? Thanks for your help.

I haven't used cotton for a couple-few years. It's all rayon wicks now-a-days for me. I rotate 3 mods with a KFV5 as the topper and pretty much chain vape when I'm awake. I re-wick about every 10 days to 2 weeks. My coils last 2 to 3 month's before putting in a new one. I vape 50/50 pg/vg and my DIY juice is pretty light in color (fruit flavoring) and not sweet at all.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
A grand (re?)welcome to our 'senior' and 'junior' veterans! Please pull up a sit down and stay a spell...
Rocking chair.gif

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Welcome @jistjul ! Glad you found us!

It will be 6 years for me this December. I was one of the lucky ones who quit cigarettes after my first vape. I am a flavor chaser and have several mods/tanks with different flavors (all DIY). I rebuild my Kayfuns and Doggies, and wick with rayon. I did the chase of new mods for several years, but since the beginning of 2017 I have what I like and no longer even want the "latest and greatest". I must say, much easier on the budget! I enjoy what I have and that's what counts!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I understand the desire for just one flavor. I followed and contributed to the thread in which folks voted for their top favorite vendors, and I set out on a mission to try the top 10. It was exhausting! I also wanted to be able to vape certain flavors, but all flavors tasted like chemicals to me no matter how long they did or did not steep, etc. I found one flavor from a specific vendor that tasted like heaven. I still vape it to this day. After the effects of smoking wore off, I found that I have extremely sensitive taste and smell receptors (to Eddie's chagrin--everything "stinks") and I also tend to have very narrow likes and dislikes when it comes to things like my vape flavor and favorite beverages. That is the reason I change my wick daily and my coil weekly. Also, my flavor has elements of chocolate in it, so it gunks up the coil quickly. I think it all boils down to whatever keeps a person off the stinkies!!
Mine is a bourbon custard. 5 Pawns Castle Long Reserve was my first exposure to "flavors" other than peppermint or straight menthol. I had no clue about anything vape related when I first started. Expanding from a light bourbon custard was not to be. I can use a few strawberry flavors, & a sweet mango occasionally. Even the Castle Long had to go away as my tastebuds changed. But the peppermint & menthol are what helped me stop smoking on day one. I still keep a bottle of that around just because!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Some flavors make cotton yukky faster. I have to change cotton about once a week & that's pushing it.

Last edited:

misswish1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
NM
Hi everyone!

Hi and welcome! Congrats on 5 years, awesome. And on introducing vaping to your family!

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Mine last about 3 weeks tops. Usually when the wick is gone the coil needs to be dry burned or replace also. I really like KGD cotton and I tear the very outer layer off. They come in rectangular pads and if you fold them in half and cut them I get about 12 wicks out of it. I usually dry burn my coils 1 time and then replace. I use SS316L on temperature control. I never use unflavored tho.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well it appears that the mod I was looking at the HCigar VT75D has been discontinued for some reason. So that ones out and for some reason they are discontinuing the DNA75 Paranormal. So only the Therion left. The 2 battery VT75 must've had problems. Lost Vapes knows how to do a 2 battery Parallel just fine just not sure if I want to go thru the battery problem again. Not sure if anyone else makes the dual battery DNA75 or not. Have to look. Good thing I didn't get one I guess. Or I could go with the 166 or 250 but I really like the 2 battery 75 for battery life. Might be something with that particular board too I have the old one and not one problem. Actually I've seen a few problems with the Lost Vapes also with the DNA75C and dual batteries, so maybe they have some problems with the dual batteries and this board. Mainly I've seen battery problems with LV charging them and not draining evenly. Might be better off with a 166, and I liked the color screen but maybe theres a problem there don't know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread