Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I'd like to take a moment to echo what Janet said .. I personally think that the "long thread" stoppage is, well, I'll with hold that idea for now .. although I will say I participate on another, totally unrelated Forum that has threads that have gone on for 10 years and have 30,000 posts ..

To my friend TX .. I believe the OP has nothing to do with a thread as far as maintenance or responsibility to post / reply etc .. in any way shape or form .. over the years, and I've been into this whole Internet thing since Usenet (one of these days that thing called the Web is actually gonna catch on) .. so, myself, I'd be very glad for you to start any new thread and we leave it at that ..

I'm saddened by the ending of this thread .. we went from the general Forum, then we went to The Lounge .. now we face extinction .. and all along the way, folks kept finding us .. there is a lot of blood sweat and tears in these pages .. we've gotten to know each other, we've shared, cared and ranted .. we've been there when needed .. and more .. it's like "They Paved Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot" ..

Point is, this is the Web at it's best .. we are the Side of Light ..

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
crying-indian-tear65p.jpg

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Hey, we're not going away. We just get to reset da tripometer after 20 months on this leg of our journey!

Maybe we should leave da GD and Lounge titles as they are. I'm game for whatever tx and Mike decide. Just hoping our distant 'family' will find da porches.

At least we got a notice this time.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Iffy, you're nuts if you think I'm gonna make a singing video! Hahaha... When I sang to my kids when they were little, they'd ask for Dad to sing instead.

As for me, I am proud of "our" thread. Not many get to this point. Remember the original thread(before this) and all of the mess that happened? I still miss lots of those folks that didn't join in when this thread opened. I wonder how they are doing now, especially Bluesman, remember him? My thanks go out to Tx for starting this one up. Loved that last set of songs, Willie.

My Tegan will be a year old next week. She continues to be a very stubborn little doggie, but I am seeing subtle changes as she matures. She continues to have a very sweet temperament, and she's as loving as can be. Between Tegan, my mom, who I care for, and my business, I still haven't much free time. But I have to pop in here and say sumthin' once in a while. I am feeling a bit better as the days grow longer. Next year I think I'm going to get one of those special lamps to help.

Anybody else ready for springtime? I'm done with winter...

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Iffy, you're nuts if you think I'm gonna make a singing video! Hahaha... When I sang to my kids when they were little, they'd ask for Dad to sing instead.

As for me, I am proud of "our" thread. Not many get to this point. Remember the original thread(before this) and all of the mess that happened? I still miss lots of those folks that didn't join in when this thread opened. I wonder how they are doing now, especially Bluesman, remember him? My thanks go out to Tx for starting this one up. Loved that last set of songs, Willie.

Come on now, I heard you singing along with a couple of those songs .. ;)

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
My heartfelt thanks to (((Randall))) for starting a thread that I have found invaluable, not only for vaping, but for humor, broad shoulders and most of all, for loyal friends.

I am not, nor was I ever, a heavy poster, but I sure do read every day, and when I feel I have something to contribute then I will post. This thread is a MUST READ every day.

Our new place/porch will be a continuation, not the end, of our thread!

Thanks Classy for the notification. It means a lot to us sitting on the porch!

I so wish there were a way I could give each of you a heartfelt hug, but a virtual one will have to do!

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Come on now, I heard you singing along with a couple of those songs .. ;)

Nope, only my dog heard me, and I don't even know if she likes my singing. Way back when Hubby and I were dating, there was only one song he let me sing to on the car radio. It was actually a Carpenters' song. I love to sing, but usually when I'm alone or tipsy.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
My heartfelt thanks to (((Randall))) for starting a thread that I have found invaluable, not only for vaping, but for humor, broad shoulders and most of all, for loyal friends.

I am not, nor was I ever, a heavy poster, but I sure do read every day, and when I feel I have something to contribute then I will post. This thread is a MUST READ every day.

I so wish there were a way I could give each of you a heartfelt hug, but a virtual one will have to do!

Right back atcha! {{{{ }}}}

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
As for me, I am proud of "our" thread. Not many get to this point. Remember the original thread(before this) and all of the mess that happened? I still miss lots of those folks that didn't join in when this thread opened. I wonder how they are doing now, especially Bluesman, remember him? My thanks go out to Tx for starting this one up.
I know. I wasn't sure which one to join or what was going on. So, I mostly held back until I found one that seemed safe and comfortable again. Tx, thank you for creating a new home for all of us!

In a few weeks, it will have been 2 years since the original Old Folks thread was started by Bluesman. Two years! It started on 2-16-12. Maybe we should have an anniversary party! Oooh, I would have to miss it anyway. I always work on Sundays.

Like you, Flowersoul, I usually read the Old Folks threads everyday. But, due to moodiness/exhaustion, I often don't post for long periods. I try to, at least, click the 'Like' button to let people know I'm still alive. But, sometimes I don't even manage that much!

Yet, I'm always welcomed back like nothing happened. Now, that IS a warm hug! Thank you, all, for being who you are!

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California

the last time i sang in my out-loud voice was about 33 years ago. i know that because my oldest daughter was 2-3. a Rolling Stones song came on the car radio, inspiring me to warble away. when it was over, she said "daddy, don't sing. it makes hurt in my ears."

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Hey Willie! This thread isn't facing extinction, we're just moving onto a new chapter! It's going to be fine. I kind of feel like that commercial with the woman talking on her phone while standing in front of her burned out house and she's saying, "I don't know what happened, but it's OK, we're prepared!" And then she dials ServePro - like it never even happened!

I was thinking about you and hoping you were making out Ok with all this cold and snow. Poor Amoret is really in a deep freeze! I remember a winter about 35 years ago when we actually felt warm when the temps finally got to 32. It was a hard winter, especially because we were living in the woods and heating with wood that we chopped ourselves. Haven't had that much exercise in a while! I'm with you Jewels - definitely ready for Spring!

By-the-way Willie, loved the songs! I was singing along, but only in my head. This reminds me of when we had a teenage friend over and our son had one of those karaoke microphones. Every time this kid started to sing our dog would get up and leave the room with her tail tucked under her! It was so funny! She never actually left the room when I sang, but I'd get SUCH a pathetic look from her! I must admit though, in my head I sound great!

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Hey Willie! This thread isn't facing extinction, we're just moving onto a new chapter! It's going to be fine. I kind of feel like that commercial with the woman talking on her phone while standing in front of her burned out house and she's saying, "I don't know what happened, but it's OK, we're prepared!" And then she dials ServePro - like it never even happened!

I was thinking about you and hoping you were making out Ok with all this cold and snow. Poor Amoret is really in a deep freeze! I remember a winter about 35 years ago when we actually felt warm when the temps finally got to 32. It was a hard winter, especially because we were living in the woods and heating with wood that we chopped ourselves. Haven't had that much exercise in a while!

By-the-way Willie, loved the songs! I was singing along, but only in my head. This reminds me of when we had a teenage friend over and our son had one of those karaoke microphones. Every time this kid started to sing our dog would get up and leave the room with her tail tucked under her! It was so funny! She never actually left the room when I sang, but I'd get SUCH a pathetic look from her! I must admit though, in my head I sound great!

I had spent the weekend downtown St Louis doing some sound equipment testing and balancing at a local venue and did not finish up till about 8 PM last night .. ramped up on the freeway and was immediately bombarded with flying Walmart bags, cardboard shreds, dirt, and whatever else the 40-50 MPH wind gusts could pick up that was not tied down .. some of the highway signs looked like s scene out of Sharknado they were vibrating so much .. I expected to see Dorothy and Toto fly by any minute ..

The thermometer in the Avalanche went from 60 down to 37 in maybe 30 minutes or less .. and even at 70 MPH I could feel the Mississippi Bridge moving .. I was glad to be driving 3 tons of American steel and not a Smart Car .. ;)

OK, I know we're not facing extinction .. that still don't mean I have to like it .. :p

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Folks, I just heard from Caridwin (one of the mods) about closing the old and starting new threads. I told her 'yes, we are aware it needs to be done and have already started talking about it. As you know, Txtumbleweed was the originator of both the thread in the General Forum and the on in the Lounge. He PM'ed me, he would like someone else to take over. So I'm taking that on and asking Iffy to help. I told Caridwin, we work on it the next couple-few days, and let her know when the new threads are open. She will then close the old ones with a link to the new ones.

I started a discussion over in our General Forum Thread - please make all your comments and suggestions over there, so we keep them in one place.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/298835-older-folks-vaping-2112.html#post12025318

Thanks

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
OK, I know we're not facing extinction .. that still don't mean I have to like it .. :p

I happy the mods gave us a heads up this time and we can work a transition to the new threads. I'm not so happy that even though the old thread will be around - we'll really lose a lot of history as it won't be so easy to go back in time to older posts and new folks joining won't see the long trail we've been on.

.. although I will say I participate on another, totally unrelated Forum that has threads that have gone on for 10 years and have 30,000 posts ..

.. over the years, and I've been into this whole Internet thing since Usenet (one of these days that thing called the Web is actually gonna catch on) .. so, myself, I'd be very glad for you to start any new thread and we leave it at that ..

Me thinks (OK I spent 45 years in the computer industry so I have an opinion). There's got to be a flaw in the forums code if it can't handle large threads. There's things called databases and indexes into the database to optimize and avoid long access times to a particular record (post). Me thinks they are taking the easy way out - eliminate big tables (threads) to search in the database. But the admins/mods of the forum aren't the designers/coders of the forum code, so it may be out of their hands and they are doing the best they can with what the have.

I do remember when I first got on the World Wide Web. It was totally text based in the beginning. I was truly amazed I could access libraries of information all around the world from my Commodore 64. Remember "Gopher". It was the 1st search engine to allow looking for stuff on the World Wide Web.

If I haven't said so before Tx, I'm so glad you started this thread. My prayers will always be with you no matter where you are!
{{{{Randalll}}}

Oh yes! These words are so true and meaningful for me too, Tex. :toast:

Last edited:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I had spent the weekend downtown St Louis doing some sound equipment testing and balancing at a local venue and did not finish up till about 8 PM last night .. ramped up on the freeway and was immediately bombarded with flying Walmart bags, cardboard shreds, dirt, and whatever else the 40-50 MPH wind gusts could pick up that was not tied down .. some of the highway signs looked like s scene out of Sharknado they were vibrating so much .. I expected to see Dorothy and Toto fly by any minute ..

The thermometer in the Avalanche went from 60 down to 37 in maybe 30 minutes or less .. and even at 70 MPH I could feel the Mississippi Bridge moving .. I was glad to be driving 3 tons of American steel and not a Smart Car .. ;)

Oh wow! I'm glad you didn't see the flying cow either!! Maybe the good witch of the East was watching out for you? That must have been some trip - bet you're looking forward to Spring too! Sorry you had such a stressful drive. When I was still working and had to drive in bad weather I remember saying over and over "$500 deductible, $500 deductible..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread