Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I happy the mods gave us a heads up this time and we can work a transition to the new threads. I'm not so happy that even though the old thread will be around - we'll really lose a lot of history as it won't be so easy to go back in time to older posts and new folks joining won't see the long trail we've been on.

Me thinks (OK I spent 45 years in the computer industry so I have an opinion). There's got to be a flaw in the forums code if it can't handle large threads. There's things called databases and indexes into the database to optimize and avoid long access times to a particular record (post). Me thinks they are taking the easy way out - eliminate big tables (threads) to search in the database. But the admins/mods of the forum aren't the designers/coders of the forum code, so it may be out of their hands and they are doing the best they can with what the have.

I do remember when I first got on the World Wide Web. It was totally text based in the beginning. I was truly amazed I could access libraries of information all around the world from my Commodore 64. Remember "Gopher". It was the 1st search engine to allow looking for stuff on the World Wide Web.

FIDO on a Vic-20, at 150 bps... almost as fast as I could type :)

Not all index algorithms are equal, but I think your point about the Sysops is more to the point - they're not the programmers, and so are as stuck as the rest of us. And, of course, the larger the database, the longer it takes to search the index. Carridwen did mention "performance" issues, iirc.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Dear folk, need some feedback on da following...

Anyone have objections for me to start >55 Gen III threads? For this side (Lounge) I'd call it da "Seniors' Back Porch". For da GD side, "Seniors' Front Porch".

I'll try to provide da historic links to capture our 'blood, sweat, tears and joys' we've shared for quite a while!

I would prefer Tex to be 'point' in this effort, but not sure if he is up it. If anyone else would like to take lead, PLEASE go fer it!

Just need some feedback pronto!

Roll wuth it. I will follow wherever you all go.

Sent with my arthritic thumbs with proofreading help from the hound!

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
If I haven't said so before Tx, I'm so glad you started this thread. It has helped me and so many others so much. Just look at the number of posts! - so many that the mods want to make sure we keep it up. And it's opened doors of friendship and shown me that there still are a lot of friendly, helpful people all over this great country. I've SO appreciated your humor, help and generosity. You're a good man. Vaping is still in it's infancy and look at all the changes in such a short time! I wouldn't know about half of them without the threads you've started here. So thank you so very much. My prayers will always be with you no matter where you are!
{{{{Randalll}}}

Ahh Jan :blush:what a sweet post and the feelings are mutual. I've made so many good friends on this thread and you have all helped me tremendously as I travel down my trail:tumble: I've really enjoyed yours and Mikes love story. It is very inspiring to witness a couple that found true love at a young age and for it to endure and flourish over time. I pray the Lord blesses it forever!:toast:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Ahh Jan :blush:what a sweet post and the feelings are mutual. I've made so many good friends on this thread and you have all helped me tremendously as I travel down my trail:tumble: I've really enjoyed yours and Mikes love story. It is very inspiring to witness a couple that found true love at a young age and for it to endure and flourish over time. I pray the Lord blesses it forever!:toast:

..... :blush: .....

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I happy the mods gave us a heads up this time and we can work a transition to the new threads. I'm not so happy that even though the old thread will be around - we'll really lose a lot of history as it won't be so easy to go back in time to older posts and new folks joining won't see the long trail we've been on.

I do remember when I first got on the World Wide Web. It was totally text based in the beginning. I was truly amazed I could access libraries of information all around the world from my Commodore 64. Remember "Gopher". It was the 1st search engine to allow looking for stuff on the World Wide Web.

Copy that .. ;)

I've still got a Tandy and a Compaq Portable Lunchbox laying around the Bridge of the Enterprise Room ...

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Regardless whether you agreed with his politics, or even knew what his contribution was to Modern culture .. by bringing Music to Schools, influencing countless activist singer / songwriters such as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and so many others .. who spent 70 years championing the underdogs, the Unions, the workers of this great Country and would show up even just a few years back in a 10 year old car with an old banjo and a 12 string guitar in the back .. going back to his Band the Weavers .. and letting his voice be heard thru song and real participation in the causes he championed ..

This man did not sit on the sidelines and complain .. this man went out and did whatever he could to try and make the World a better place .. and he lived what he believed ..

RIP Pete Seeger .. another joins that great Band in the Sky

Reactions: yiddleboge6

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Just fifteen minutes before I go to the Post Office.

At least your ship came in...

candles.png

Rut roh...
bolt.gif

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Hi all - I just posted this in the Older Folks thread about the closing and re-opening of the threads.

Hi Folks - just a little heads up about the thread(s) moving to a new home.

Today we drilled some holes, strung some wire, and now have some new electric outlets in the hallway. Tomorrow is plumbing day - replace the kitchen facuet. That should end the re-hab of the foyer, hallway and kitchen floor - finally! (except for some shopping, Janet doesn't like the looks of our current kitchen set with the new floor, so looks like new a table and chairs may cut into the vape budget)

So i should have time tomorrow afternoon or evening to create the new 'front porch' and 'back porch' threads. I'll post links to them in both this thread and the 55+ thread in the lounge. When I do that, I'm going to ask Caridwen if she will keep the 'old' ones for a couple days. That way if you want to go to one of the old threads and repost something you can find that post, do a reply-with-quote, then copy/paste the results into a post on the new thread.

The old threads will not be deleted but using the 'reply-with-quote' / 'copy-paste-the-results' won't work on a post once the thread is closed. I though it might be fun for 'you' to search up your story, repost it in the new thread - along w/ an update since you made the post. I'm sure many of us initially posted to this (the to be old/closed thread) quite a long time ago.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Well? Did you go? Did you get vapemail? Did you get back ok or should we send out a search party? Maybe you're too busy partying?
I got vapemail, but it was just coils. :(

However, my brother sent me a birthday greeting. I get the consequences for forgetting our sisters' birthdays, but they are so much younger than us.

I thank everyone for the birthday greetings yesterday. Rat2 also sent me a cute one! Check my wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread