Status
Not open for further replies.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Eh anyone with a little math knowledge as well as ohms law can figure out wattage pretty easily. The one button thing is a good thing. Less to break IMHO.

The math ain't the problem, its all the clicking, and the need to have to do the math and clicking, clicking clicking clicking. I guess it isn't a problem if you stick with one atomizer all the time, but still if provari can make 1 button reliable then they can make 3 that will be clicked many fewer times to accomplish the same task just as reliable.

And the display is pretty far behind current tech as well.

None of this is a problem that would keep me from buying a provari, but the issue that is keeping me from buy one is that it is inevitable that they will make these changes. And that is the device I want, so I won't buy one now and perhaps the next week or month they announce a new model that I will have to have.

Or maybe they never will, but then I will just have to pick up something made with a DNA20 and provari will have lost a potential customer.

Los Marauder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Iowa City
I have a take on this Provarri hate. As an x-boxer there are always the "greats" and they have fans that love them too much and fans of hating them. Ali was hated to unmentionable messure, so too was Tyson, even before showing signs of imorality. Sugar Ray Leonard was loved to the point of being stalked, even though he flat out refused to ever under any conditions, or pay day, climb in the ring with Aaron Pryer. My point is, the greats are great no mater what people belive, but people want greats to be one of them. If they are aloof or unobtainium, people get upset. If they don't meet expectations on all levels, people get upset. Greats of the world have to have all and be all to all people. Most consider the Provarri the best vapor delivery devise right now. Are they right? I don't know enough to judge. Most consider Ali to be the greatest fighter. Are they right? NO-trust me he was the Most Important Person In BoxingHistory, but....The greatest fighter was Chaves. 86 wins befor his first loss Frankie Randel. So for most of us, the Provarri is king. But maybe the best is a PV most of us don't know about.

dingo1799

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
IL
my 2nd device was a VV, a v-tube from apollo... aka lavatube. 2 mos ago, i dropped it at work and the top cap decided to come off.. an aluminum tube, with some kind of bakelite plastic type cap that the atty connector is pretty much pushed into. i spent the next month and a half pushing the cap back on, trying to keep it straight, it got dropped again a couple weeks ago, this time the cap broke and took a chunk out of it. stuck it back together with some silicone, then realized the atty connector was getting loose in the cap. time to start shopping.

i bought a provari the other day, and from the first vape with it, i knew it was the right decision. whoever can hate or say whatever they want, im sold on it. stick with your ego twists or v-tubes and claim they work just as good as any other VV, anyone that knows anything about electronics knows better.

axolotly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2010
GA
My question is: Why all the hate for the Provari from a certain segment of this forum? It seems to me that this device gets a good share of accolades from owners and not, but it also gets more than its share of outspoken decenters (usually people who have never owned one) who seem to go out of their way to degrade Provaris or Provape.

So ECF, what is your opinion? Why all the hate? I only ask that the discussion be civil and unbiased.

stick with your ego twists or v-tubes and claim they work just as good as any other VV, anyone that knows anything about electronics knows better.

I was going to reply but thought this would do!

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I've listened to the Grimm Green and PBusardo video's, read a lot here on the forum, and can't think of a single reason NOT to own a Provari. I can't afford one, but that's no one's fault but mine. I'm saving my coins from not smoking the analogs. Maybe they'll have the next generation out by then. LOL!

Not enough buttons? One is a plenty. Oh wait, it has fifteen settings, so maybe it needs fifteen buttons.;)

Last edited:

cyclotron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
Hampton Roads, VA, US
whoever can hate or say whatever they want, im sold on it. stick with your ego twists or v-tubes and claim they work just as good as any other VV, anyone that knows anything about electronics knows better.

The above quote is a fair statement of opinion but it should be obvious why others would find it a bit offensive too.

In this realm I'm new and I love the VW kit I have and have never tried a Provari. I would want one if/when they do VW as it looks solid and they have a good claim to quality. I don't have any need to do the math related to VV as I don't have to, there's tech that does it for me. I'm a bit spoiled that way because I started after VW was available.

I am as amused with the fanboy behavior with PVs as I am with the Apple vs. Android. I can't imagine people being so concerned about the good name of a company that just wants to take your money.

I don't know who started it but I'm a big fan of the comment/quote "Whatever it takes to keep you off of cigarettes".

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The math ain't the problem, its all the clicking, and the need to have to do the math and clicking, clicking clicking clicking. I guess it isn't a problem if you stick with one atomizer all the time, but still if provari can make 1 button reliable then they can make 3 that will be clicked many fewer times to accomplish the same task just as reliable.

And the display is pretty far behind current tech as well.

None of this is a problem that would keep me from buying a provari, but the issue that is keeping me from buy one is that it is inevitable that they will make these changes. And that is the device I want, so I won't buy one now and perhaps the next week or month they announce a new model that I will have to have.

Or maybe they never will, but then I will just have to pick up something made with a DNA20 and provari will have lost a potential customer.
Honestly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about with the single button menu system. It literally took me all of 10 minutes to master it. After a couple of days it became second nature to get where I wanted in the menu.

-Five clicks to get into the menu mode.

-First function that comes up is Power Up. If that is the one you want, you press and hold as it scrolls up to the voltage you want. Release.

If not,
-Two more clicks gets you Power Down. {Press and hold as it scrolls down. Release.}

Wait three seconds and you can vape.

I only use two other functions rarely, Cb (or check battery) and the ohm tester Ao (for atomizer ohms). I simply click through the menu until the abreviations come up, and the Provari fires and does an "under load" measurement.

The Pu, Pd, Po, Cb, Co, Lo modes are always in this order, so you quickly learn to anticipate when your desired mode will show.

The control button begins blinking when battery power is low, because with Accuset your vape experience does not decline at all with a weakening battery.
___

To be fair, the display is not as nice or sharp as some that I have seen lately. I also am not aware of what advantage variable watts has over variable voltage. I already know what ohm atomizer I am using and what voltage I like with specific juice flavors, I just set the Provari appropriately. As someone pointed out already, more buttons is just more things to possibly break. I'd rather have one good working button than three mediocre ones.

Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Bad,
I'm with you on this one (now your "made in merica" bit is..., if it's good I don't care where it's made. As long as it's not Canada grrr.) (just kidding :))

The menu is easy. Agreed
The 1,000,000 press rated button. very nice

The thing about the VW devices (I'm currently playing with a dna12) is you set it to the final wattage you want and it adjusts automatically when you switch heads. Now this is not the perfect solution people think it is because not all heads need the same amount of heat to work efficiently. I use 7W with my 3ohm vivi novas but only 5.3W with my 3ohm DID. So I need to do adjustments no matter what.

edit: I just did the math for the button. At 120 presses a day it should last for 22 years. wow

Last edited:

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Honestly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about with the single button menu system. It literally took me all of 10 minutes to master it. After a couple of days it became second nature to get where I wanted in the menu.

-Five clicks to get into the menu mode.

-First function that comes up is Power Up. If that is the one you want, you press and hold as it scrolls up to the voltage you want. Release.

If not,
-Two more clicks gets you Power Down. {Press and hold as it scrolls down. Release.}

Wait three seconds and you can vape.

I only use two other functions rarely, Cb (or check battery) and the ohm tester Ao (for atomizer ohms). I simply click through the menu until the abreviations come up, and the Provari fires and does an "under load" measurement.

The Pu, Pd, Po, Cb, Co, Lo modes are always in this order, so you quickly learn to anticipate when your desired mode will show.

___

To be fair, the display is not as nice or sharp as some that I have seen lately. I also am not aware of what advantage variable watts has over variable voltage. I already know what ohm atomizer I am using and what voltage I like with specific juice flavors, I just set the Provari appropriately. As someone pointed out already, more buttons is just more things to possibly break. I'd rather have one good working button than three mediocre ones.

No doubt it can be easily mastered. It just isn't up to par with current tech. Yes you can adapt to it, but you shouldn't have to. I could dial a rotary phone pretty easily. Mastered it pretty quick, but when push buttons came along, people dropped rotary. When cell phones came, people quit memorizing phone numbers. This kind of improvement is never necessary, it just makes for better experiences.

I would buy a provari tomorrow if one of two things were true 1) they made those changes 2) if I were convinced no one else will come up with a mod that has high quality and incorporates those changes.

I do find it ridiculous that people praise provari quality and reliability in one breath and in the next fear that they can't add buttons without losing that reliability. Do you really think that provari would add two buttons and suddenly their button quility would be mediocre?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The thing about the VW devices (I'm currently playing with a dna12) is you set it to the final wattage you want and it adjusts automatically when you switch heads. Now this is not the perfect solution people think it is because not all heads need the same amount of heat to work efficiently. I use 7W with my 3ohm vivi novas but only 5.3W with my 3ohm DID. So I need to do adjustments no matter what.
So, realistically and pratically, its not the bee's knees that a lot of people have been claiming. I'm just a simple cartotanker. I use primarily the same 3.0 ohm single coil carto in all of my tanks, so to me V W is not a big breakthrough.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do you really think that provari would add two buttons and suddenly their button quility would be mediocre?
Not at all. I can't speak for their R & D team, but my guess is that they must be pretty happy with their current product judged by reports that they have recently hired additional staff to keep up with their current orders.

Why wait for the changes if you really want a Provari. If a new product comes out that you would want more, I hear its not hard to sell them for not much less than original price on the classies.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
The above quote is a fair statement of opinion but it should be obvious why others would find it a bit offensive too.

In this realm I'm new and I love the VW kit I have and have never tried a Provari. I would want one if/when they do VW as it looks solid and they have a good claim to quality. I don't have any need to do the math related to VV as I don't have to, there's tech that does it for me. I'm a bit spoiled that way because I started after VW was available.

I am as amused with the fanboy behavior with PVs as I am with the Apple vs. Android. I can't imagine people being so concerned about the good name of a company that just wants to take your money.

I don't know who started it but I'm a big fan of the comment/quote "Whatever it takes to keep you off of cigarettes".

Yeah, there is a lot of Apple like fervor here. Any thing that is a shortcoming is somehow a feature, until Apple addresses the shortcoming then it is the way things should be.

I guarantee that if Provari comes out with a VW mod with 3 buttons, the same people that say they don't need VW or 3 buttons will be buying them and extolling the virtues.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
The menu is easy. Agreed
The 1,000,000 press rated button. very nice

Well good, sounds like you gotta click it that many times to get to the menu you want.

I wonder if Haynes does a manual for it.

cd9GR.jpg

In all seriousness. I might enter a contest to win one, but I won't ever spend my money on it. Why not? Simple, when you've got rabid fanboys telling you it cures cancer, makes women throw themselves at you, makes changing your car's air filter a snap, will cause your in-laws to suddenly regard you with awe and respect, and can predict weather patterns..... it's statistically impossible that it'll live up to the hype.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
So, realistically and pratically, its not the bee's knees that a lot of people have been claiming. I'm just a simple cartotanker. I use primarily the same 3.0 ohm single coil carto in all of my tanks, so to me V W is not a big breakthrough.

It's not a bad thing It's just not the cure all some think it is.

I was very interested in a kicked silver bullet until I realized I would have to take the thing apart to adjust the wattage setting when I changed heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread