Status
Not open for further replies.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Man, another $51 for a little cap and ring. It does amaze me how much we spend on these devices. Can't bring myself to spend anymore right now. Jeez, it might be cheaper to smoke...hahaha. :blink:

Not funny, brother. Can't put a price on life, ya know. But I understand what you're getting at so no hard feelings.

RHP

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I think it is another sign, just changed out my carto in my tank and got yet another nasty, crappy tasting Boge slotted carto. This makes two bad out of two boxes of cartos. All primed the exact same way, flood and drain with a 510 to luer loc adapter on a a syringe. I even cut one apart, perfectly primed and not a single burnt spot on it. Yet is tastes nasty and burnt.....argh. I never had this problem till I started with Boge cartos. Yuk.

Oh yeah, thanks Redhatpat, but I just pulled the trigger since there is a sale. At least I am telling myself it is a deal. So nobody tell me any different...ok! haha.

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I'll stick to my RTAs thank you... ;) Gennys (using SS mesh) aren't so good with flavor from certain e-liquids... Grant's Vanilla Custard for example, even suggests not using them. I vape primarily tobacco flavors, and found the dry, less sweet types nice on a Genny, but not as good with RY4, or naturally-extracted El Toro Virginia Prime.

The Hercules is my favorite RTA... I think it's due to the ceramic cup, and the fact that my wicks (XC-116) stay totally saturated with no tilting, or leaking, no matter which way I hold it, or lay it down. I've been using the same small dual wicks for going into 7 weeks now with no rebuilding, loss of flavor or vapor. I just dry-burn every 3rd tank or so. The flavor with ANY juice I use is spectacular.

That's one of the features which sold me on the UK-built Rose RTA.. A nice, large, ceramic cup with plenty of room to work in. It's $200.00, but, one of the few I've seen worth that price-point to me. The Rose will be available in the States in probably a month and a half..I was fortunate to get in on the 1st run... 4 weeks to go.. ;)

The Rose Atomiser by Eden Mods

I noticed you are in Brooklyn, Big Buddha Vapors will be receiving a very limited stock this time round and will be our US distributor for future batches too.

EDIT: My 2nd "go-to" RTA is a Terminator C with a Vochu Kayfun conversion kit inside.. ;)

Last edited:

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Drunk_J, we're waiting on a no wick 'n no wire solution.. I think we should lock up a bunch of geeks in a room, give them some herb, and dont let 'em out til they come up with something. Til then you're stuck with us brother :)

RHP

Soon, soon...PBusardo has reviewed one - sort of.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I'll stick to my RTAs thank you... ;) Gennys (using SS mesh) aren't so good with flavor from certain e-liquids... Grant's Vanilla Custard for example, even suggests not using them. I vape primarily tobacco flavors, and found the dry, less sweet types nice on a Genny, but not as good with RY4, or naturally-extracted El Toro Virginia Prime.

The Hercules is my favorite RTA... I think it's due to the ceramic cup, and the fact that my wicks (XC-116) stay totally saturated with no tilting, or leaking, no matter which way I hold it, or lay it down. I've been using the same small dual wicks for going into 7 weeks now with no rebuilding, loss of flavor or vapor. I just dry-burn every 3rd tank or so. The flavor with ANY juice I use is spectacular.

That's one of the features which sold me on the UK-built Rose RTA.. A nice, large, ceramic cup with plenty of room to work in. It's $200.00, but, one of the few I've seen worth that price-point to me. The Rose will be available in the States in probably a month and a half..I was fortunate to get in on the 1st run... 4 weeks to go.. ;)

The Rose Atomiser by Eden Mods

EDIT: My 2nd "go-to" RTA is a Terminator C with a Vochu Kayfun conversion kit inside.. ;)

I am not using the SS mesh with the Zap, I am using ceramic wicks. Honestly not sure why the XC-116 would not work on the ZAP too?

That Rose RTA is beautiful looking. The concept of the ceramic cup is cool, that is just like my Diver cup, except way bigger. Well, since this is my first experiences with RBA, Diver and now ZAP, I think the decision is good for me. Shows me two completely different styles to learn on. So hopefully I will be happy. Honestly, just about every device on this thread, I had to google to even know what they are, so just had to pick one I had at least heard of and jump in.

-=J

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I am not using the SS mesh with the Zap, I am using ceramic wicks. Honestly not sure why the XC-116 would not work on the ZAP too?

That Rose RTA is beautiful looking. The concept of the ceramic cup is cool, that is just like my Diver cup, except way bigger. Well, since this is my first experiences with RBA, Diver and now ZAP, I think the decision is good for me. Shows me two completely different styles to learn on. So hopefully I will be happy. Honestly, just about every device on this thread, I had to google to even know what they are, so just had to pick one I had at least heard of and jump in.

-=J

You may have a difficult time with the XC-116 in the ZAP.. I think it has a small diameter wick hole. The ceramic stick wick you are going to use should work fine.. You're off to a great start.. Check everything out, see how you like it. There's plenty of time for other stuff. :) It's taken me 3 years to get to where I know what I like now, and there's always something else around the corner in this game / hobby / addiction... ;) :blink:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
They are very proud of the XC-116. $21 for 36 inches. But after I got it in, it looks a lot like the same material I get to sleeve my BBQ smoker temperature controller's thermocouple probes. It is ceramic sleeving and it goes down to 1/64. Though obviously the stuff I buy for my grill controller is not heat treated like the place that sells the XC-116. And I am in no way recommending this stuff for a wick or even trying home made heat treating, just observing how much they are alike. This is the company that make the stuff I buy (for thermocouple probes only): High Temperature Adhesives and Epoxies, Ceramics, Insulation, Epoxies and Epoxy

What, a controller for a smoker....hahaha....yes, that is what I said. Take my BBQ and smoked ribs very serious. And only use natural lump charcoal for the heat source.

-=J

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I hear you! :) I have one of the older model Maverick Redi-Chek's myself.. Mine has some kind of SS mesh around the probe-lines.

IDK about the ceramic sleeving for the probes as wicking. I would need to know who manufactures it, and the specs. I thoroughly researched the 3M XC-116 before I started using it. I use no other wicking material now. (Kiln-treated, of course.. ;) ) The best, durable, absorbent, and cleanest-tasting wick I've ever used. :) You could always sleeve the top of your ceramic stick with yours, or around the top of a mesh wick in the ZAP if it doesn't fit in well . Lot's of folks are using it that way.

EDIT: OT, but since you mentioned BBQ... Some of the best I've eaten out, was right up the street from where my bar was in Beech Island. The guy had a block-pit in the ground with grates. He only did it one day a week, and sold the pulled-pork .... by the pound. You could also buy a pack of buns, and some equally good chicken. :drool: There was always a line, and the man had the touch for sure..

Last edited:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I hear you! :) I have one of the older model Maverick Redi-Chek's myself.. Mine has some kind of SS mesh around the probe-lines.

IDK about the ceramic sleeving for the probes as wicking. I would need to know who manufactures it, and the specs. I thoroughly researched the 3M XC-116 before I started using it. I use no other wicking material now. (Kiln-treated, of course.. ;) ) The best, durable, absorbent, and cleanest-tasting wick I've ever used. :) You could always sleeve the top of your ceramic stick with yours, or around the top of a mesh wick in the ZAP if it doesn't fit in well . Lot's of folks are using it that way.

EDIT: OT, but since you mentioned BBQ... Some of the best I've eaten out, was right up the street from where my bar was in Beech Island. The guy had a block-pit in the ground with grates. He only did it one day a week, and sold the pulled-pork .... by the pound. You could also buy a pack of buns, and some equally good chicken. :drool: There was always a line, and the man had the touch for sure..

I have a Rox Stoker and a couple of BBQ Guru models. The new ones have SS braiding, but the older ones have a Teflon coating. So I used the sleeve for those. Stuff works great for that purpose. Speaking of, I am about to go smoke some spare ribs shortly. About 6 hrs and I will be in hog heaven. Don't come to me with no boiled or baked ribs, I will smack you...haha. :mad:

I am pretty sure Contronics is the manu for that sleeve, but haven't seen a more detailed breakdown than the PDF they list. But absolutely agree, use proven material that is as safe as reasonably achievable. Just thought it was interesting that I had been using a similar material for years, just for a different purpose.

-=J

Just read the edit. OMG you're talking about Freeman's BBQ. Argh, that stuff is nasty now. I wouldn't get near it now. It has gone way downhill over the years. Guessing the son or another family member has taken over, and that doesn't always go well. But I have heard it used to be good, from others. I didn't ever try it until several years back. I only eat at Carolina BBQ in New Ellington or Sconyers in S Augusta now. But mine woooops all of them.

Last edited:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Rib Wicks! Ok, so it is way off topic. But I have already bought the ZAP now. The grill is ceramic, so isn't that close to counting? :blink:

I need to start a cooking thread in the lounge.

-=J

Only 1 hr into cook. I cut spares St Louis style & membrane removed, rubbed with homemade season, with the pieces parts left over smoked along side. Those are for beans or soup later. Blurry pic as it is dark and sprinkling rain at the moment.

20130925_193831 (Copy).jpg

My twins from an older pic.
2011-09-02 10.27.33 (Copy).jpg

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Just by coincidence, this morning I bought another ProVari off the classies - and it includes a ZAP! Even though I've been reading your thread, Drunk_J, it really is a coincidence. I've been in the market for another PV recently, what with loosing a Vamo overboard recently and my vaperversary coming up next month.

I've always wanted to try the ZAP and will soon get the chance to see what it's all about. I already enjoy AGA-T2 and other rebuildables, so I don't anticipate any learning curve - just quality.

And you guys are way beyond me in the BBQ area. I'm just a simple griller with my old, red Weber and steaks. One day, I'll try something fancy on it, but then I might have to look into those high-end vaporizers smokers.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
YUMMMMMMMMM !! :p Damn you! I've been on a DIEt.. Yes, at times I think I'm dying... :unsure: I did smoke a rack on Labor Day as a treat, but have been staying away since, even though my smoker has been calling me.. ;) I have some nice wild cherry, pecan, pear wood, hickory, etc... mocking me in their containers every time I walk outside also... Hmmm.. I also have a brisket in the freezer... NOOOOOO!!! :facepalm:

Nice gear BTW... :)

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Just by coincidence, this morning I bought another ProVari off the classies - and it includes a ZAP! Even though I've been reading your thread, Drunk_J, it really is a coincidence. I've been in the market for another PV recently, what with loosing a Vamo overboard recently and my vaperversary coming up next month.

I've always wanted to try the ZAP and will soon get the chance to see what it's all about. I already enjoy AGA-T2 and other rebuildables, so I don't anticipate any learning curve - just quality.

And you guys are way beyond me in the BBQ area. I'm just a simple griller with my old, red Weber and steaks. One day, I'll try something fancy on it, but then I might have to look into those high-end vaporizers smokers.

Super deal on finding you a Provari and ZAP....how cool is that. Congrats on your vaperversary too. Nice gift to yourself.

Wow, if you have a red weber, that is really old. Didn't they stop making the red ones like in the 60's. This is my stance, a very good grill will allow anyone to cook good, but a very good cook can use any grill and make good food.

I started out with a bullet smoker, used a couple of washtub smokers, New Braunsfels, even used a weber smoky joe for a while, then a traeger pellet grill. But they all bit the dust when I got into ceramics. It will grill at 1000 or smoke at 200, also everything in between and will do it well. Got into auto controls for grill too. Love them. You can really use them on any grill you can control the air flow. A weber is a perfect grill for controlling airflow and I have smoked on them many times with great results. But it is nice as hell, to sit in my house on this chilly and rainy night, look at the remote and know by ribs are doing perfect. Run outside, shake a sprinkle or two of my vinegar mop on it, back inside where it is nice, dry, has my recliner and beer. Hell yes I am a lazy cook, but as long as the food is good, there are no complaints. And with my ceramic grills, I can run 24 hrs with no problems (on one load of royal oak natural lump). Actually ran it 85hrs straight with one load of charcoal as a test of some new charcoal a buddy of mine makes (he also makes those grills).

-=J

Opps, my bad, it was 1999 on the red weber. Thought they quit red a long time ago.

Last edited:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
YUMMMMMMMMM !! :p Damn you! I've been on a DIEt.. Yes, at times I think I'm dying... :unsure: I did smoke a rack on Labor Day as a treat, but have been staying away since, even though my smoker has been calling me.. ;) I have some nice wild cherry, pecan, pear wood, hickory, etc... mocking me in their containers every time I walk outside also... Hmmm.. I also have a brisket in the freezer... NOOOOOO!!! :facepalm:

Nice gear BTW... :)

Baahhahwahahaha! Just wait till I load the finished pics.....which should be shortly. Well, after I eat anyway.

Been a while since I have done brisket. I only smoke whole packers cut and with just me and the wife, have little need for 12-14 lbs of beef BBQ. I do it usually and carry to work or something. But it is an ornery ....... to cook. I have some cool techniques that really help, if you're ever interested. Also have tons of recipes I created for sauces and rubs. We need a freakn grilling area here. Or group. I do have most all of this stuff posted on my other forum where I admin.

-=J

Last edited:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Got my tracking info today and got the update tonight that states it shall be here Saturday. Now, could anyone tell me when Provape starting requiring signature confirmation on deliveries? Man, that is such a PITA!

On other cool news, Jennifer at Phiniac has informed me they will sandblast the design I want on to any tank (in which it fits on) for a very reasonable price (plus having to ship it both ways). Glad I ordered that second glass for the ZAP now, gonna look cool with a big RAD symbol blasted on it. Probably going to do one of my carto tanks too.

Lastly, I am sorry, not going to lie as these ribs were awesome!

-=J

Mmmmmmmmmmm!
20130926_005324 (Copy).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread