The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

RBA for the Provari?

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by ThreeDJ16, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bimini Twist

Bimini Twist Twisted Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Redneck Riviera
    It's an oldie, all right. I think we bought it in the early 70s. Two metal handles on the bowl and a wooden handle on the lid. I know there are Weber collectors who might like it, but this one would be a fixer-upper. Legs epoxied on and a scar from a lightning strike. Still grills & smokes fantastically, though!

2. RedhatPat

RedhatPat Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lancaster, Pa
    A bbq rba, yeah I can dig it

RHP

3. ThreeDJ16

ThreeDJ16 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Well, got it in today. Looks beautiful. Just wish I could figure out how to get it to vape as good as it looks. I need to experiment more, but just doesn't wick up worth a crap. So we will see. Here is that first glare, btw! :glare::glare:

4. The Ocelot

The Ocelot Psychopomp Verified Member ECF Veteran

I think you should get one of these; you know, for back-up.

Drunker Rebuildable Tank

5. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Hey, just what are you trying to imply there young kitty? That the name fits? hahaha ;) Don't forget, I am not the one living on Rumrunner's Isle!

6. Technonut

Technonut Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA
    There's a learning-curve with the Genesis for sure.. I would throw in a SS mesh wick sleeved at the top with XC-116. Should wick nicely.

7. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Is Genesis the same as the ZAP? Also, figured the ceramic were better since Provape had switched to them, so unfortunately I did not buy any of the SS mesh. But looking at it, sure seems like the XC-116 would work by itself? Didn't want to screw with the prebuilt coil already on the unit, so I have not messed with it yet. Guess when I get a few minutes, I will go through the setup procedure again and see if I missed something. But damn, you would think once it is wicking up, it would continue. Might should try another ejuice, as honestly the stuff I am using doesn't taste very good on the ZAP for some reason. Oh well, should have known these things don't work perfect right out of the box. Actually my Diver did, first try. Oh well.

8. Technonut

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA

If you can get the XC-116 down into the wick hole, it should work great also. You may try taking a long pin, and running it though the XC as a support while wire-wrapping, then remove it. For me, it's best not to wrap the wire too tightly around the XC.. Just enough to make contact fully, without biting-in too much. I think the ZAP has a insulator around the wick hole which can be removed if you need to.

9. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Cool, thanks. That will be my next experiment if I can't get these freakn ceramic wicks working. BTW, these ceramic wicks are gnarly as hell looking. Not at all what I expected.

Oh yeah, how is the holster working out? Love it?

10. Technonut

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA

I'm sure you'll have it vaping like a beast shortly.. :vapor: Gotta be careful with the ceramic sticks.. They break if you look at them the wrong way sometimes.

The holster? I've been using it daily, and it's great. :) Very handy, and well-made.

11. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2013
    PhiLLy
    [​IMG]

I know the OP said he wasn't interested in drippers but I had to show this off.
    When my Trident arrived it came already built and when I used it on my new mini :D it was horrid!

So I started from the drawing board by cleaning it first then building a 1.8 ohm micro coil with more cotton than I've seen in most videos.
    I've no idea how much this holds in terms of "drips" but by the time I finished adding juice you would've thought I was filling a tank. I vaped on this for almost 4 1/2 hrs straight (maybe longer) before I started getting dry hits.
    And I'm not talking a vape here and there but vaping to the point of barely putting it down.

New toy (white mini) new juice (ahlusion strawberry shortcake) that go great together tend to do this to me.

Between last night and now I can count on one hand how many times I've had to add more juice.
    For all I know it could be from the amount of cotton. I stopped using wick and mesh in my RBA/RDA ever since I started using cotton but my vape has been amazing.

12. Dusty_D

Dusty_D Original Guru Senior Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    How about a picture of the "inside" of the Trident? :)

13. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2013
    PhiLLy
    [​IMG]

Instead of using a tiny slither of cotton I use the entire ball.
    Change it whenever it starts tasting meh and only change the coil when I get bored with the one I have and just want to use a new one.

Same setup on RSST and IGO mini.

EDIT: Forgot to say I added more juice just for the purposes of this pic so you could see what it looks like. There's none of that gurgling from there being too much juice.

14. donnah

donnah Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

The kayfun lite looks awesome on a provari. The kayfun along with the "cone" came from intaste.de

[​IMG]

15. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for everyone's information and pics on this thread.

I finally had more time to play with the Z-Atty Pro today and finally have it working properly-ish. Still getting some dry hits, but it is feeding much better. Also think that maybe the e juice I am using might be causing some of the issue. It was a pure PG juice and the throat hit was just really harsh. But I do have the air inlet aligned with the wick, which is supposed to be the lightest throat hit. Also not used to the really open air draw. But at least things are improving. Also going to try some SS wicks just to see if I like them better.

Anyway, thanks.

And drool over the rib pics! :drool:

-=J

16. Technonut

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA

If you need some SS mesh, PM me your address, and I'll send you a good-size square. I have a boat-load of # 500 I rarely use anymore.

17. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
  18. Preloader

Preloader Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Check out my thread to see what I learned so far on the ZAP. Sounds like you're almost there. TH is pretty strong on the ZAP but if it's unbearable, than your wick isn't wet enough. I was convinced the ceramic wick was the issue, but then I found that I was firing my coil when it wasn't wet enough.

Take the top cap off, tip the mod down passed horizontal, and wait until the wick looks soaked. Fire the trigger until it starts to vape. Put the cap back on, fire again and pull on it in the horizontal position. It should stop giving dry hits. Now you just have to try different draw techniques until you start to get a satisfying vape.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/474155-new-zap-users.html

19. ThreeDJ16

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Hey thanks Preloader. BTW, did you ever get used to that open draw or did you close it up. Funny, that is the first thing I thought of, swipe it with my TIG torch...haha. I got two stingers wp-10 & wp-25 (think that was the numbers for a micro and a regular) both dry, pure argon with a 90amp DC arc source. I built all my own all grain home brewer and wine press with mine. Also had to grab a Millermatic 135 too, it is a wonderful MIG with 80/20 blend gas.

-=J

20. Preloader

Preloader Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    You know, I actually kind of like the open draw...... Now that I've learned how to pull on the ZAP better. Because the draw was so light I was drawing too softly, thinking it would build up thicker vapor, but was just burning the juice and tasting the wick and coil. Turns out if you pull on it just below the point of whistling it produces much more vapor.

Also, now that I'm passed the dry hit fear, I've cranked the volts up and am really clouding. I'm now rocking 4.5 with the 2.1ohm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.