Status
Not open for further replies.

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
I tried that too. The flood seems to occur where the two chimney sections are joined when your filling it goes in smoothly and you can see the level rise until it reaches that point. That's where the level pauses for a few seconds allowing juice where it shouldn't be. That's the point where I open the juice flow in an attempt to redirect it and equalize pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I'm with Jackmormon, never had a leak on fill-up. This wicking method is almost exactly the way I do it. I use a little more cotton mass than this. Half on the deck, and a little into the top 1/3 of the juice channels. When filling, I close the juice flow, but not the AFC. I turn it upside down on the last turn of the top cap, let it drain to clear the juice channels, then open the juice flow control about 4 turns and upright the atty. Vape away. No leaks. More than 30 tanks, 5 different wick changes (at least) and not a single leak. I use Japanese cotton with the outer layer stripped, very snug in my clapton 3mm id coil. Trim the wicks to how the vid above shows. Keep wick tails out of the threads so JFC does not catch and pull them out of place when adjusting flow or when attaching base to the tank. Hope this is of some help. I really, really, like this tank.

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
Major, I keep thinking there is a faulty connection there on your tank. I hate to say it, but it might be defective, cause I know you know how to wick and all that. It sounds like unit failure. Cwap!
Well there was a defect in one of the black ones. I've already sent it back for replacement. This SS has been flawless since day one except for that annoying leakage when filling. I'm torn when it comes to this tank. I absolutely love everything else about this tank. I have 2 more coming and I'm really not sure whether I'll even open them up. If I can't figure this filling issue out.

Reactions: freedogg

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I feel your frustration. It just sounds like some kind of issue with either a vacuum issue or the connection between chamber and chimney. Have you checked the o-rings (larger ones)? I know there must be a seal between the chamber and chimney, but you can't get to that. I would think they need to design a 1-piece and eliminate that connection. There must be a way to do that and still have a top fill. Like the Tilemahos and others.

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
I tried different o rings. I agree the design would have made more sense with a 1 pc chimney. The way I'm filling now has minimized the leakage considerably. But I would never fill this thing on the mod (not that I do anyway) just have a paper towel handy whenever I fill it.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
@Major911 and others:

I also had the problems that you describe with leaking while filling. I tried the water-test, and the water would start pouring out the airholes as the water level exceeded about halfway up the tank. Then it would settle at about a little less then half. Obviously, the juice flow control does not really make a 100% seal, at least not on some.

I have solved the problem by fitting an o-ring from the chamber cap of a Taifun. Now there are no more leakes whatsoever while filling or otherwise. It survives the water-test.

Of course the o-ring will obstruct the juice channels a little bit, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I vape 50/50 juice and wick it something like in the video posted previously.

The o-ring is a little too tight, but I think that one with 14mm inner diameter, 1mm thick, should do it.

AjuxGo3.jpg

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
@Major911 and others:

I also had the problems that you describe with leaking while filling. I tried the water-test, and the water would start pouring out the airholes as the water level exceeded about halfway up the tank. Then it would settle at about a little less then half. Obviously, the juice flow control does not really make a 100% seal, at least not on some.

I have solved the problem by fitting an o-ring from the chamber cap of a Taifun. Now there are no more leakes whatsoever while filling or otherwise. It survives the water-test.

Of course the o-ring will obstruct the juice channels a little bit, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I vape 50/50 juice and wick it something like in the video posted previously.

The o-ring is a little too tight, but I think that one with 14mm inner diameter, 1mm thick, should do it.

AjuxGo3.jpg

This might support my theory that it is a vacuum issue. If the juice flow control is not making a sealed connection with the base when the JFC is fully closed there could be a leak caused by the open seal? Not sure, but this seems to work for mrjohs and worth a try for those that have leaking like Major describes.

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
@Major911 and others:

AjuxGo3.jpg
This is an interesting fix. I will give it a shot. I'm up for anything at this point. I'm afraid that if I don't resolve this it will be a deal breaker for me as well and I'll sell off my remaining inventory and go back to the STM's. That pains me cause the serpent is such a top notch vape.

jimmyw86

Jan 23, 2014
Broad Ripple
I stopped the leaking by closing the juice control and then start filling it up. Once I put the cap back on, i'll turn it upside down and open the juice control only 1/4 of the way and then immediately close it again. Wait a few seconds then open the juice flow all the way and turn it right side up. Haven't had issues since. I tilted it on the side for 5 minutes and not a drop came out.

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
Mine should finally be here today. The tracking information updated yesterday (on sunday?) and it says out for delivery now after sending usps an email like wth is going on with my package. At least it wasn't like the order from orbtronic last month for my battery charger and vtc4s. That was about 2 weeks past expected delivery date.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

jimmyw86

Jan 23, 2014
Broad Ripple
@Major911 and others:

AjuxGo3.jpg
Thank you for this!!! No leaks at all and I'm vaping it at 45 watts .38 ohms with no issues. I just close the juice channel then filled it up and I'm good to go. Also vaping on 70/30 with no dry hits

Reactions: DP2Raja

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
I'm definitely enjoying this little tank so far. I have a few minor gripes with it but not deal breakers. My afc ring is really tight still, which is a plus and a minus in that I can set it and not worry about it moving but its really hard to turn at all. And the build deck is tricky to get the coil through the post holes. Oh, and I almost forgot this snow but the 510 is really long on mine. It doesn't sit flush on my vtc mini and it wobbles on there. I can get my fingernail under there with room to spare so ive been running it on my mvp pro. Still a slight gap but no wobble lol.

But the flavor this thing gives is out of this world. I enjoyed the coil that came with it but quickly threw in a 10 wrap 24g coil around a 3mm screwdriver and I'm pretty sure I used the pancake wicking method and no leaks or anything. Granted between the two builds I'm still on my first fillup so we'll see what happens.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I'm definitely enjoying this little tank so far. I have a few minor gripes with it but not deal breakers. My afc ring is really tight still, which is a plus and a minus in that I can set it and not worry about it moving but its really hard to turn at all. And the build deck is tricky to get the coil through the post holes. Oh, and I almost forgot this snow but the 510 is really long on mine. It doesn't sit flush on my vtc mini and it wobbles on there. I can get my fingernail under there with room to spare so ive been running it on my mvp pro. Still a slight gap but no wobble lol.

But the flavor this thing gives is out of this world. I enjoyed the coil that came with it but quickly threw in a 10 wrap 24g coil around a 3mm screwdriver and I'm pretty sure I used the pancake wicking method and no leaks or anything. Granted between the two builds I'm still on my first fillup so we'll see what happens.

Did you try screwing the 510 pin in? They are adjustable. That may not be the issue. Worth a try.

Reactions: Landman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread