Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
I got one of those flashlights from Liion. Tried it with an 18650 and the bulb end got too hot to touch. It was bright though.

To everyone using the unprotected cells in their led flashlights, I would caution against it. So many things can happen, from explosion to just burning out your led. There is no regulation in the unprotected cells, so they can over draw, over discharge, over heat, among other things in the led lights. I would take some time and educate yourselves on this. I know you are all experts on batteries for our mods, but the led lights are a different animal, that imho wouldn't use anything but a protected cell with.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
To everyone using the unprotected cells in their led flashlights, I would caution against it. So many things can happen, from explosion to just burning out your led. There is no regulation in the unprotected cells, so they can over draw, over discharge, over heat, among other things in the led lights. I would take some time and educate yourselves on this. I know you are all experts on batteries for our mods, but the led lights are a different animal, that imho wouldn't use anything but a protected cell with.

Thanks for the advice. I never used an 18650 in mine after the first time when it got so hot. I put regular batteries in it and gave it to the wife to keep in her car. Maybe I'll do some research. It would be nice to have that amount of light from such a small flashlight.

I have no idea what protected batteries do. Would they stop the overheating?

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Went to town this morning to get my winter tires put on. Just in time for over a foot of snow later today. Can you sense the joy in my voice? :|

Now to catch up on work, then get ready for tonight's FD meeting. Busy 3 days ahead...and the entire time I'll be imagining I'm back in the mojave sun. At least I've got tons of indoor hobbies to keep me busy for the next 6 months. Like vaping :vapor:

Enjoy your day shinies! :thumbs:

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
Thanks for the advice. I never used an 18650 in mine after the first time when it got so hot. I put regular batteries in it and gave it to the wife to keep in her car. Maybe I'll do some research. It would be nice to have that amount of light from such a small flashlight.

I have no idea what protected batteries do. Would they stop the overheating?

Yes. Protected cells have the circuitry in them that give the protections we are used to in our mods. They have over discharge, over charge, over heating, over draw, etc. Candle Power Forum is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to batteries and LED technology. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get in to hand held led lighting.

Link to Battery section at CPF

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

But aren’t you guys also saying that protected batteries are longer? If so, they won’t fit in this particular flashlight. It does have an adapter though so it can be used with AAA or AA batteries. Defeats the purpose for me since I never can seem to keep those on hand.

My husband used to always be on my case about keeping a light in the car, just in case, but I never could see the point. They’re dead before I’d ever use them.

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
But aren’t you guys also saying that protected batteries are longer? If so, they won’t fit in this particular flashlight. It does have an adapter though so it can be used with AAA or AA batteries. Defeats the purpose for me since I never can seem to keep those on hand.

My husband used to always be on my case about keeping a light in the car, just in case, but I never could see the point. They’re dead before I’d ever use them.

The protected cells fit perfectly in the led lights, just not in our mods. Which is ok, because the protective circuitry is built right into the mods. Our mods tend to draw a lot more power from a battery than the led lights do, which is why they build the protection right in the mods. My lights do not have those protections built in to them and were made to use the protected cells. An analogy kind of is, our led light bulbs in the house use very little energy, but the toaster oven with an element in it draws a ton of power. Same difference between our mods and led lights.

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye
I am not that good at explanations for the differences in battery tech and why some devices need the protected cells, while others don't. The best explanation I can give is, our mods have the protections built in, so they build them for use with the shorter unprotected batteries. The LED lights don't have the protections built in, so they are built for use with the longer protected batteries.

Battery Section at Candle Power Forums

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Went to town this morning to get my winter tires put on. Just in time for over a foot of snow later today. Can you sense the joy in my voice? :|

Now to catch up on work, then get ready for tonight's FD meeting. Busy 3 days ahead...and the entire time I'll be imagining I'm back in the mojave sun. At least I've got tons of indoor hobbies to keep me busy for the next 6 months. Like vaping :vapor:

Enjoy your day shinies! :thumbs:

We get snow in the morning but far less than you. Today's high is supposed to be 60 (thinking of a gallon of milk right about now.. lol) and snow around 4-6 am low of 15 overnight..

Our expected snowfall is supposed to be between 1-5 inches depending on elevation, which I think leaves us around the 3 inch mark.

I have no where to go though, and already have good tires on the Jeep so all is well on that front. Yea for being basically retired! lol..

stay warm, and keep safe!

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Last night (I think the steroids made me do it) I decided to rewick and recoil and refill everything. God. I have done about half of it, and like, I SWEAR to God after my doctor's appointment I will a) finish and b) for the love of ALL that is holy, thin the herd. I also think my ginger ale flavor is an ADV. It's a really keeper. Also very simple, (If only I knew my flavor names, couple different brandy flavors, ginger ale (yeah someone makes it) a fair bit of that fizz additive, a drop or two of sweetener.

It is yummy.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
The protected cells fit perfectly in the led lights, just not in our mods. Which is ok, because the protective circuitry is built right into the mods. Our mods tend to draw a lot more power from a battery than the led lights do, which is why they build the protection right in the mods. My lights do not have those protections built in to them and were made to use the protected cells. An analogy kind of is, our led light bulbs in the house use very little energy, but the toaster oven with an element in it draws a ton of power. Same difference between our mods and led lights.

I put my unprotected 18650 in this flashlight and it fit, so a larger one won’t, is what I’m saying. If they’re too big for a mod, they’re too big for this light. Keep in mind, this is likely not like the high end lights you’re referring to, just a cheap freebie.

If push comes to shove, I’ll just have to hope I gave a Lustro one me, with its tiny little light on the bottom, lol.

Anyway, not a big deal as I likely won’t need a flashlight, and I do appreciate the heads up about the safety issue.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
I am not that good at explanations for the differences in battery tech and why some devices need the protected cells, while others don't. The best explanation I can give is, our mods have the protections built in, so they build them for use with the shorter unprotected batteries. The LED lights don't have the protections built in, so they are built for use with the longer protected batteries.

Battery Section at Candle Power Forums
Can the protected 18650s be charged in the same chargers as the unprotected batteries we use in vaping?

I would definitely try out a billet box and with the right build and rba you can definitely chuck some clouds but they're never going to to achieve the wide open high wattage low ohm build scenario on an RDA.

For me the billet box has been the best vape I've ever had and I kicked myself for not trying it sooner.... My advice get one :)
Want to give me some more info on the BB in a DM?
Thinking to get one myself. :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Can the protected 18650s be charged in the same chargers as the unprotected batteries we use in vaping?
Charging them should be fine. They are also low current batteries so really not appropriate for vaping use anyway.

In any circumstance my general rule with electrical stuff is if it gets really hot (unless it’s a toaster or waffle maker) something is wrong and it’s time to stop using it. Heat and batteries seems to be a really bad mix.

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye

Yes. I charge both my led light batteries(protected) and vaping mod batteries(unprotected) in the same charger(4 bay Intellicharger i4 PRO) with no problem. All batteries I use are lithium ion batteries. Sizes are 18650, RCR123a(16340), 14500, and 10440.

@Eskie I agree with you 100% my friend. Thank you!

Tig7

Aug 29, 2019
Blue Ridge Mtns.
I put my unprotected 18650 in this flashlight and it fit, so a larger one won’t, is what I’m saying. If they’re too big for a mod, they’re too big for this light. Keep in mind, this is likely not like the high end lights you’re referring to, just a cheap freebie.

If push comes to shove, I’ll just have to hope I gave a Lustro one me, with its tiny little light on the bottom, lol.

Anyway, not a big deal as I likely won’t need a flashlight, and I do appreciate the heads up about the safety issue.
This flashlight is very similar to the free one I received from Liion
https://www.amazon.com/LED-Flashlig...f-Brightness/dp/B071CL2HZG?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Morning shinies ;)

Got some cotton and ldpe bottles on the way - and FT has shipped my last order already :D

Week 5 hip fracture update and other shiny talk.
    Saw the surgeon on Thursday. I’ve lost an inch on my rt leg from where the femoral head and neck impacted into the femur. The peices were left as is hoping the screws keep everything in place so no blood flow is compromised which would be the worst case scenario.
    I can start to put full weight on my leg but only while using a walker etc. the pain is incredible and my leg so weak even with all the PT I do every day.

For some silly reason I thought I’d be prancing out of the office and ready to go for a drive so I was just slightly depressed. Thank god ive been keeping up with all me meds!!

I still haven’t been able to get up a full flight of stairs and need a second handrail installed to help me.

So it’s another 4 WEEKS before next x rays and checkup. In the meantime I still have in home PT and OT. They mentioned going outpatient and I was like how the hell am I supposed to pull that off? I can’t drive? Cab?

I still can’t believe the month of October even happened and just wasn’t a bad dream of Levi dying, breaking my hip then Haley getting exposed to “non toxic” chemicals ( she’s fine now after $1400)

Ok not to shiny stuff- I bought a vandy vape lit rda because I was testing which stores would mail to MA. so now I have it I was just wondering if anyone has used it or does it got straight to the PIF pile?

You are getting there :wub: and the pain when you start weight bearing eases - you are using muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones that haven't been used in 5 weeks. Just do what you can - the rest will happen :thumb:

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Morning shinies ;)

Got some cotton and ldpe bottles on the way - and FT has shipped my last order already :D

You are getting there :wub: and the pain when you start weight bearing eases - you are using muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones that haven't been used in 5 weeks. Just do what you can - the rest will happen :thumb:

thanks for the encouragement. I need it! I’m on my own now and everything is a huge struggle.

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
    Sep 30, 2019
    Yes. I charge both my led light batteries(protected) and vaping mod batteries(unprotected) in the same charger(4 bay Intellicharger i4 PRO) with no problem. All batteries I use are lithium ion batteries. Sizes are 18650, RCR123a(16340), 14500, and 10440.

@Eskie I agree with you 100% my friend. Thank you!

I’ve been using an 18650 meant for vaping in my headlamp from work:unsure:

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Good morning shinies ... a wee bit chill here, and the hard water problem is beginning to manifest on the river ...
    vwKPQTx.png
    What a beautiful view though! I’m three blocks from the Mississippi River, but the 20’ levee eliminates the view. What a joy it must be to get to see that every morning with your coffee and vape

Users who are viewing this thread