ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Today's a Billet box kind of day. Vapesnail inside :)
20210424_112911.jpg

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I am usually an Ni80 man but don't mind a bit of experimentation. Love the fast ramp up time of Ni80. Like the taste of SS. Maybe it's a bit crisper?

Anyone else got an opinion?

I don’t like the taste of Ni80. I thought it might break in, or I’d get used to it, so I suffered through a few coils in a few RBAs. But I just can’t get past it. SS for me all the way.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
PC coils are an outfit from Belgium which make coils to order. They also do the famous Fisher alien specifically tailored by @Robfisher for the Dvarw RTA....... they're not particularly PC :D

Lol... thanks for the background on that.

Honestly the coils I use I don't really gently this or gently that... I use a wire brush for cleaning and have never once gotten a hot spot etc. How long is this guy expecting coils to last anyway?

I install a new coil once every 3 months or so just because, not because it's gone bad ..

Granted, I may be "gentle" without realizing it, but I don't think I am..

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Ye

I agree...I love my sweet creams but am getting fed up with coil gunk...it's definitely the sugar carbonating on the coil and presumably if you don't change it out and keep on vaping that translates to carbon in the lungs. A big no no in my book. I'm considering doing the same. No sweetener and different juice profiles....all my juice is DIY so I haven't got any excuses.

When I get tired of sugar gunk, I use toasted almond or hazelnut. One flavor, very easy on the coil and pallet. My toasted almond is TFA and the hazelnut if FW - I make that for my SIL so I tried 3-4 of them and FW was her favorite.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I immediately sent them an email. Shouldn’t the stabwood color match what’s on the box?

I bought a mosaic Luna from Sourcemore and they sent me a regular stabwood. I emailed and they replied. Didnt give me any instructions, which I thought was weird. Then they just sent me the correct one. I guess it was cheaper and easier for them.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well the Asmodus order is out for delivery, in under the wire! Yea!

I'm excited to get those RTA's... hoping I like them! Those are going atop my Rose Finch mech which will now be matchy matchy during the vapocalypse..

Cami's Chewy order is likewise, out for delivery.. lol. Hopefully she will enjoy her new toy that I was forced to buy to avoid shipping charges.. haha

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Coils last me 4-6 months. Right now I have 4 claptons in RTA's that are at 6 months. They are perfectly fine. Flavor is where it should be. Others are between 2-5 months.

I don't baby my coils. And I use both a wire brush and a non-wire brush. I don't get any hot spots.

ETA: I rarely get gunk buildup on my coils. But, I generally do not use flavors that are known to cause gunk buildup.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
Coils last me 4-6 months. Right now I have 4 claptons in RTA's that are at 6 months. They are perfectly fine. Flavor is where it should be. Others are between 2-5 months.

I don't baby my coils. And I use both a wire brush and a non-wire brush. I don't get any hot spots.

ETA: I rarely get gunk buildup on my coils. But, I generally do not use flavors that are known to cause gunk buildup.
6 months for a coil? That's a long time. Are these thicker coils for your DL tanks? Or do you also get 6 months out of the smaller MTL coils?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
6 months for a coil? That's a long time. Are these thicker coils for your DL tanks? Or do you also get 6 months out of the smaller MTL coils?

If I didn't change mine out my MTL coils would last at least that...

The reason I change mine out more frequently is due to a thread I think both myself and @Katya were in once and it was kind of a better safe than sorry conclusion (as we don't know what level of deterioration in the metal is over time)..

But I did push a coil a couple times just to see how long they would really last and I ended up changing my coil at about the 6 month mark just because I was bored with it by then, and another I made it about 9 months...and I do vape sweet juices..

My son does high wattage DL and a good coil will only last him a month... so there is a difference in coil life...

So your coils should, therefore, be lasting you quite a while...

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014

I think that's defo the issue if you're vaping juice that is very light with no sugar your coils will last but if not no!!

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Lol... thanks for the background on that.

Honestly the coils I use I don't really gently this or gently that... I use a wire brush for cleaning and have never once gotten a hot spot etc. How long is this guy expecting coils to last anyway?

I install a new coil once every 3 months or so just because, not because it's gone bad ..

Granted, I may be "gentle" without realizing it, but I don't think I am..
Well there are too many variables with coil type and wire size...wire size of wrap etc. But I defo think that certain coils need delicate handling otherwise you will break the outer wrap....having said that the PC coils method works. My coils come back looking as they went in...well after a dry burn. No need to scrub :)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I can get 6 months on any coil. Most of my RTA's are MTL. Very few are RDL/DL.

I use Wireoptim, used to be Lightning Vapes, 26/36 ss316L wire a lot. It works well for all vaping styles. Also use some of their other wire along with wire from Zivipf, Kbee, Temco and AVS wire.

I've never used any Chinese wire. I am of the firm belief that there is quality wire and wire that is "other".

You can certainly use thicker wire gauges for MTL. I do. There are no set in stone rules.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
The reason I change mine out more frequently is due to a thread I think both myself and @Katya were in once and it was kind of a better safe than sorry conclusion (as we don't know what level of deterioration in the metal is over time).
And therein lies the quandary. I am of the thought that it is still better, safer, than any of the ingredients BT puts in their cigs.

So your coils should, therefore, be lasting you quite a while...
100% agree. IMO it doesn't matter how sweet a juice is. With proper maintenance any coil should last.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I think that's defo the issue if you're vaping juice that is very light with no sugar your coils will last but if not no!!
Coils will last with proper maintenance.

Charlie there are many many flavors made by all the flavor houses that have sweetness already in them. Everyone doing DIY uses them all the time. The creams and custards that you use have sweetness in them. Strawberries have sweetness... on and on the list goes.

My motto has always been... learn and know thy flavors. And know what they can bring to any mix at different %'s from very low (as in drops) on up.

BTW, EM (ethyl maltol) is not in all sweeteners. There are different kinds of sweeteners that use different ingredients. If you look up DIY sweeteners you will see for yourself which ones use what as their main ingredient.

This may be of interest...

In the nearly 9 years that I've been doing DIY I have rarely used a sweetener. In fact, the last several years I've used no sweeteners at all. I know how to bring sweetness to a mix, if desired, using the flavors in my stash.

If you truly know your flavors, then you automatically know there are always flavor options available to you for adding sweetness to any recipe without the addition of a sweetener. And it doesn't require much of a flavor, or two, to do so. If properly mixed you won't even notice those flavors, when used as additives.

There are numerous flavors that will bring sweetness to a mix, round out other flavors and reduce sharp notes in 'certain' other flavors.

Likewise, there are flavors that will reduce sweetness in a mix.

It always comes back to how well you know the flavors in your stash.

The way I see a lot of folks using sweeteners...IMHO...is a band aid (some will bristle at that, oh well ;)). Too many people use them as a crutch to cover up crappy recipes.

ELR, and similar sites, are littered with those kinds of mixes. And that comes right back to folks not knowing their flavors, as they should.

Having said all that...^^^...sweeteners can be a tool...if used properly.

Matthew Topolski lead mixologist, Head of R&D for Charlie Noble, Walker Trading Co -Vape Dojo, Tenbuck & more --- and also contributes much to the DIY community, says the following of EM and it is true of any sweetener.

"Cotton Candy/Ethyl Maltol – this is not here for sweetness! Please, can we all just take a minute and set down the EM and sucralose? If you need to add multiple percentages of a sweetener, then you need to revise that recipe. Ok, done preaching. EM is amazing when used for its real purpose – rounding off rough edges. It can make flavors layer together, or can make that one sharp accent drop down a notch or two. Half a percent is just about perfect for that purpose."

I've had several good convos with him over the years and also learned a lot from him. He's very sharp with everything DIY. And very approachable and helpful with DIY questions.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
My favourite full mech mod (since I'm also Reoless :wub:)

View attachment 939221
A non-purple dotSquonk
One of my dotSquonks is always in rotation. It's been the purple one lately. ;)

For regulated, my SqEvo DNA 60 squonker sees a lot of use. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread