ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
would still be nice if they actually said that the panel (or whatever you want to call that) is a random color/pattern
Going back to the drip tip post you made in the DIY thread the other day.

It would be nice if we could pick the color of a drip tip versus where FT will only sell us some random color they end up choosing for us. I've never been a fan of potluck DT sales. That's been a gripe of mine, yours and others here for some time. FT doesn't get it.

The only way I've found around potluck DT's is to buy the random ones in a six pack. I usually get a couple that match a mod that way.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Coils will last with proper maintenance.

Charlie there are many many flavors made by all the flavor houses that have sweetness already in them. Everyone doing DIY uses them all the time. The creams and custards that you use have sweetness in them. Strawberries have sweetness... on and on the list goes.

My motto has always been... learn and know thy flavors. And know what they can bring to any mix at different %'s from very low (as in drops) on up.

BTW, EM (ethyl maltol) is not in all sweeteners. There are different kinds of sweeteners that use different ingredients. If you look up DIY sweeteners you will see for yourself which ones use what as their main ingredient.

This may be of interest...

In the nearly 9 years that I've been doing DIY I have rarely used a sweetener. In fact, the last several years I've used no sweeteners at all. I know how to bring sweetness to a mix, if desired, using the flavors in my stash.

If you truly know your flavors, then you automatically know there are always flavor options available to you for adding sweetness to any recipe without the addition of a sweetener. And it doesn't require much of a flavor, or two, to do so. If properly mixed you won't even notice those flavors, when used as additives.

There are numerous flavors that will bring sweetness to a mix, round out other flavors and reduce sharp notes in 'certain' other flavors.

Likewise, there are flavors that will reduce sweetness in a mix.

It always comes back to how well you know the flavors in your stash.

The way I see a lot of folks using sweeteners...IMHO...is a band aid (some will bristle at that, oh well ;)). Too many people use them as a crutch to cover up crappy recipes.

ELR, and similar sites, are littered with those kinds of mixes. And that comes right back to folks not knowing their flavors, as they should.

Having said all that...^^^...sweeteners can be a tool...if used properly.

Matthew Topolski lead mixologist, Head of R&D for Charlie Noble, Walker Trading Co -Vape Dojo, Tenbuck & more --- and also contributes much to the DIY community, says the following of EM and it is true of any sweetener.

"Cotton Candy/Ethyl Maltol – this is not here for sweetness! Please, can we all just take a minute and set down the EM and sucralose? If you need to add multiple percentages of a sweetener, then you need to revise that recipe. Ok, done preaching. EM is amazing when used for its real purpose – rounding off rough edges. It can make flavors layer together, or can make that one sharp accent drop down a notch or two. Half a percent is just about perfect for that purpose."

I've had several good convos with him over the years and also learned a lot from him. He's very sharp with everything DIY. And very approachable and helpful with DIY questions.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I rarely use multiple percentages of sweeteners in my mixes and I'm aware of my sweet flavours in my stash. I think the main problem is once you start getting a taste for sweetness it is addictive, much like it is in food. Always difficult to come back from.

I'm vaping six different mixxes at the mo three with added sweetness and two without. Moving between the mixxes is fine apart from one which just tastes meah after one of my sweet ones. There both custards and truth be told it isn't a very good mix and won't be repeated :wub:

As far as 'know thy flavours' is concerned I've always taken the view that I will learn from each mix and single flavour testing is not for me....too lazy and not enough time :D

I'll have a look at the video though thanks....looks useful. You've got five years on me from a DIY perspective but we're all always learning :wub:

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
If you truly know your flavors, then you automatically know there are always flavor options available to you for adding sweetness to any recipe without the addition of a sweetener. And it doesn't require much of a flavor, or two, to do so. If properly mixed you won't even notice those flavors, when used as additives.

There are numerous flavors that will bring sweetness to a mix, round out other flavors and reduce sharp notes in 'certain' other flavors.
I'm curious, what flavors do you like to use to add sweetness if needed or to round out a mix?

I hardly ever put sweeteners in my mixes. The only time I ever do so is if I am following another recipe and it specifically states sweetener is needed.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Still catching up... saw how some of you are pulling wicks from coils. Here is how I do it.

I rinse the juice out of the tails of my wick over my kitchen sink, then finely twist the ends of the tails, continue twisting until I see the whole wick rotating in the coil... I then pull out the wick very easily without distorting the shape of my coil. It only takes seconds.

That works well for me with cotton or rayon.

:)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Woohoo... shipment from Asmodus is in hand!

I can't manage to look at the RTA's until DH gets back and opens the case it's in (I appear unable)... but I got two anyway! Haha..

I ordered 10 boxes of Ohmie coils just because it seemed a good round number but apparently 50 coils is a perfect case! Haha..

So, I got everything I ordered and they even threw in another Ohmie tank base!

I'll definitely miss Asmodus... good company.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Still catching up... saw how some of you are pulling wicks from coils. Here is how I do it.

I rinse the juice out of the tails of my wick over my kitchen sink, then finely twist the ends of the tails, continue twisting until I see the whole wick rotating in the coil... I then pull out the wick very easily without distorting the shape of my coil. It only takes seconds.

That works well for me with cotton or rayon.

:)
More or less exactly what I do!!

Truckin Vaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2021
image.jpg
I like the new JMK tips I got. It eliminates the need for the connection key , or screwy down thingy as it’s mostly called. I have a authentic mission tip that I use but this to me is easier with its one piece design. Best of all it works with the authentic or the sxk clone. I have one clone and checked and it works fine.

Truckin Vaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2021
I can get 6 months on any coil. Most of my RTA's are MTL. Very few are RDL/DL.

I use Wireoptim, used to be Lightning Vapes, 26/36 ss316L wire a lot. It works well for all vaping styles. Also use some of their other wire along with wire from Zivipf, Kbee, Temco and AVS wire.

I've never used any Chinese wire. I am of the firm belief that there is quality wire and wire that is "other".

You can certainly use thicker wire gauges for MTL. I do. There are no set in stone rules.
I totally agree. Quality wire makes all the difference. I do have a massive stockpile of the superfine spools from Vandy Vape just in case I can’t get my preferred coils shipped. They do vape well, but will not last like a coil built of premium wire. Although it may be too late check out kosher coils. Very expensive but to me worth the price. He makes the only Mtl fused Clapton I’ve ever been able to use as others the ramp up time takes to long for me. Definitely not a knock on anyone’s preferred setups just my opinion and what works for me. If it vapes use it lol

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
Going back to the drip tip post you made in the DIY thread the other day.

It would be nice if we could pick the color of a drip tip versus where FT will only sell us some random color they end up choosing for us. I've never been a fan of potluck DT sales. That's been a gripe of mine, yours and others here for some time. FT doesn't get it.

The only way I've found around potluck DT's is to buy the random ones in a six pack. I usually get a couple that match a mod that way.
I just think it's ridiculous, it's not like they don't know what colors they have, drip tips are usually in a clear package....that's just someone being lazy and not wanting to list each individual color

now on some listings they will state the color but note that it may come in a different grain/pattern/etc
this I can understand but to just list a drip tip and then put it'll ship a random color is bs....or as you said if they are going to do it that way then put up a full set of colors for sale
and well honestly if you are going to sell them at random colors, you should discount them since it's a blind grab bag type of buy

there's been a lot that I saw and liked but then it only listed the random color, not induvial colors or a bulk sale of 1 of each...I'd buy the bulk sale just to get the one I wanted :lol:

ft get your crap together man

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I just think it's ridiculous, it's not like they don't know what colors they have, drip tips are usually in a clear package....that's just someone being lazy and not wanting to list each individual color

now on some listings they will state the color but note that it may come in a different grain/pattern/etc
this I can understand but to just list a drip tip and then put it'll ship a random color is bs....or as you said if they are going to do it that way then put up a full set of colors for sale
and well honestly if you are going to sell them at random colors, you should discount them since it's a blind grab bag type of buy

there's been a lot that I saw and liked but then it only listed the random color, not induvial colors or a bulk sale of 1 of each...I'd buy the bulk sale just to get the one I wanted :lol:

ft get your crap together man
You can request an specific color in "instructions" on your cart page.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I'm curious, what flavors do you like to use to add sweetness if needed or to round out a mix?

I hardly ever put sweeteners in my mixes. The only time I ever do so is if I am following another recipe and it specifically states sweetener is needed.
Very honestly, it all depends on the other flavors being used in a mix.

Just off the top of my head...

In general, creams and vanillas will add sweetness and round out a mix. That depends on which ones as some are sweeter than others. Creams and vanillas will also pull mixes together just like they do in real life recipes. Creams will also add body and mouth feel.

INW Shisha Vanilla has some sweetness. It's on what I call the brighter and lighter side of vanillas. FA Vanilla Tahiti is another bright and sweeter vanilla best used with milder fruits. FLV Cream will bring some sweetness, body and mouth feel. As little as 0.25%-0.5% of those will influence a mix. Several of the frostings will bring sweetness. FLV Whipped cream will bring sweetness, body and mouth feel (in as little as 3-4 drops to 30ml, careful it is strong).

CAP Vanilla Custard v1 and FA Custard Premium are sweet.

I'll give you a good example. If I have a really tart raspberry profile and I want to bring in some sweetness I will use a little FA Juicy Strawberry, or another s-berry, to sweeten up the raspberry. And you won't taste the strawberry when it's used lightly cuz raspberries, being a darker berry, will overpower the s-berry.

Slightly off topic - adding a drop or two of a raspberry to a strawberry mix will enhance nearly any strawberry. Same with adding a light touch of a watermelon to a strawberry.

Another example that I use. Using FA Pear adds a creamy sweetness that’s perfect with peach or apricot whether those are FA versions or not. It kills off some of the astringency that some peaches have. And it pulls everything together nicely. FA Pear gains creaminess as it steeps. Used lightly, you won't notice the pear at all.

FA Jamaican Rum is sweet (more sweet than boozy, think butter rum not “yo-ho-ho”). I've use it in very small amounts when I wanted to make a mix a little sweeter.

Using a touch of FA Walnut will add a mild sweetness to a mix. It will also contribute buttery notes when used with creams and caramel/butterscotch. FA Almond with a light touch will also sweeten up a mix (depending on other flavors used).

FA Anise, lightly, will brighten and sweeten.

Some oranges will sweeten and brighten up a zesty citrus mix.

The sweeter caramels and/or butterscotch flavors, used lightly, will sweeten up a bakery mix.

Some of the really sweet cookie flavors, used very lightly, will sweeten up a mix.

FA Apple (Stark), used lightly, will add sweetness while adding no discernible apple taste. FA Torrone will totally sweeten a mix, but it is strong, I've only used it in drops in a 30ml.

All of those ^^^ depend a lot on the other flavors I am using in a mix. There are many more. What I reach for has a lot to do with the other flavors I am using.

There are many ways to bring some sweetness into a mix and to help round it out.

Sorry :blush: that got longer than I initially planned on. :D

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

I am 100% certain @Letitia can offer some really good info on this. She knows her flavors well. :)

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
View attachment 939289 I like the new JMK tips I got. It eliminates the need for the connection key , or screwy down thingy as it’s mostly called. I have a authentic mission tip that I use but this to me is easier with its one piece design. Best of all it works with the authentic or the sxk clone. I have one clone and checked and it works fine.
Yes I've got several and it is easier....the only drawback is you're stuck with the same drip tips you can get :)

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA

In general, creams and vanillas will add sweetness and round out a mix. That depends on which ones as some are sweeter than others. Creams and vanillas will also pull mixes together just like they do in real life recipes. Creams will also add body and mouth feel.

INW Shisha Vanilla has some sweetness. It's on what I call the brighter and lighter side of vanillas. FA Vanilla Tahiti is another bright and sweeter vanilla best used with milder fruits. FLV Cream will bring some sweetness, body and mouth feel. As little as 0.25%-0.5% of those will influence a mix. Several of the frostings will bring sweetness. FLV Whipped cream will bring sweetness, body and mouth feel (in as little as 3-4 drops to 30ml, careful it is strong).

I'll give you a good example. If I have a really tart raspberry profile and I want to bring in some sweetness I will use a little FA Juicy Strawberry, or another s-berry, to sweeten up the raspberry. And you won't taste the strawberry when it's used lightly cuz raspberries, being a darker berry, will overpower the s-berry.

Slightly off topic - adding a drop or two of a raspberry to a strawberry mix will enhance nearly any strawberry. Same with adding a light touch of a watermelon to a strawberry.

Another example that I use. Using FA Pear adds a creamy sweetness that’s perfect with peach or apricot whether those are FA versions or not. It kills off some of the astringency that some peaches have. And it pulls everything together nicely. FA Pear gains creaminess as it steeps. Used lightly, you won't notice the pear at all.

FA Jamaican Rum is sweet (more sweet than boozy, think butter rum not “yo-ho-ho”). I've use it in very small amounts when I wanted to make a mix a little sweeter.

Using a touch of FA Walnut will add a mild sweetness to a mix. It will also contribute buttery notes when used with creams and caramel/butterscotch. FA Almond with a light touch will also sweeten up a mix (depending on other flavors used).

The sweeter caramels and/or butterscotch flavors, used lightly, will sweeten up a bakery mix.

Some of the really sweet cookie flavors, used very lightly, will sweeten up a mix.

FA Apple (Stark), used lightly, will add sweetness while adding no discernible apple taste. FA Torrone will totally sweeten a mix, but it is strong, I've only used it in drops in a 30ml.

All of those ^^^ depend a lot on the other flavors I am using in a mix. There are many more. What I reach for has a lot to do with the other flavors I am using.

There are many ways to bring some sweetness into a mix and to help round it out.

That was quite the informative response to my question. Thanks for the tips.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
HIya folks,happy weekend to everyone.

Sorry to derrail the thread,but something ''weird'' has happened these few past days.

First i gotta say,i am SUPER happy with my Juggy MR,well build,easy to wick and coil and a bit on the restricted side which i love.

IMG_20210401_232545.jpg

Actually contemplating getting a second one in black,got a mod in mind that would look awesome with this atty on top.

Ok so this is the question,when it comes to airflow and restrictiveness is there such thing as diminishing returns?

Previous main atty was my Hellvape Destiny RTA,when i rewick or change the coil of my Juggy MR i always keep my colossus with my destiny so i can vape while i get the job done,you know so i am not in a hurry to vape.

Anyway,these past 2 days i noticed that the Juggy MR just doesn't feel as restrictive as before.
Nothing has changed,same coil,same brand of cotton,same wicking,haven't dropped the atty so all the parameters are the same.

I even took it apart for a thorough cleaning and under a desk lamp assembled it back to make sure everything was ok...and yet it still feels a bit less restrictive.

So diminishing returns,is that a thing when it comes to airflow and restrictiveness when using an atty? like you get use to it and it feels ''different''?

Tagging @AngeNZ @Letitia and @Aliraonz because i know you folks own a Juggy MR so you might be able to shed some light on this.

Hope everyones weekend is going well :)

Truckin Vaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2021
HIya folks,happy weekend to everyone.

Sorry to derrail the thread,but something ''weird'' has happened these few past days.

First i gotta say,i am SUPER happy with my Juggy MR,well build,easy to wick and coil and a bit on the restricted side which i love.

View attachment 939293

Actually contemplating getting a second one in black,got a mod in mind that would look awesome with this atty on top.

Ok so this is the question,when it comes to airflow and restrictiveness is there such thing as diminishing returns?

Previous main atty was my Hellvape Destiny RTA,when i rewick or change the coil of my Juggy MR i always keep my colossus with my destiny so i can vape while i get the job done,you know so i am not in a hurry to vape.

Anyway,these past 2 days i noticed that the Juggy MR just doesn't feel as restrictive as before.
Nothing has changed,same coil,same brand of cotton,same wicking,haven't dropped the atty so all the parameters are the same.

I even took it apart for a thorough cleaning and under a desk lamp assembled it back to make sure everything was ok...and yet it still feels a bit less restrictive.

So diminishing returns,is that a thing when it comes to airflow and restrictiveness when using an atty? like you get use to it and it feels ''different''?

Tagging @AngeNZ @Letitia and @Aliraonz because i know you folks own a Juggy MR so you might be able to shed some light on this.

Hope everyones weekend is going well :)
That is a great looking setup

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA

Thank you.

Truckin Vaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2021
I use rebuildables exclusively. Today I’m gonna try something I haven’t used in a very long time. My sxk Billet came with a aspire bridge and I picked up a box of Nautilus 2s 0.4 ohm coils a while back. Its a pain in the ... to rewick when I’m out on the road. I love fresh cotton I usually rewick every 2 to 3 days. I’m giving this a go. Any you guys use the nautilus coils? I’ve got a bridge somewhere that uses the voopoo and vaporesso GTX coils, are these better?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
List, please.
I don't have a list. I mean, there are tons of possible combinations depending on what other flavors are used. It would take me forever to put a real list together with all the combinations to try. I have hundreds of flavors, not as many as Hitt (The 600+ Club) or Mel but I am certainly headed in that direction. ;)

My rule of thumb, get a mix where you want it, if it needs sweetening and/or rounding off go from there with what you have available.
And... do as some of us do, buy more flavors!!! :evil:

Thank you.
Just saw your post. You're welcome. Can you add that post to your blog and maybe the one about sweeteners. Or will that rock the boat too much??? How do you feel about adding a section, at the bottom of your blog, for DIY Tips and Whatnot???

Just a thought. :)

Users who are viewing this thread