Status
Not open for further replies.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Obviously. Just about everyone you encounter who's in the program will either talk about their faith or lead an apology for the religion angle.
After 21 years in the program, making meetings all over the country and going to conventions, I have never heard any of that. You're just like the other idiot, you'll lie just to make your point.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is weak bait. Part one is about getting the thread back on track. Part two is a direct challenge to keep it derailed.

Once Again Surf. No one was Repelling to You.

Why do you go Out of your Way to Pick Fights with People who Aren't even Posting at You?

dragginfly

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri, USA
Obviously. Just about everyone you encounter who's in the program will either talk about their faith or lead an apology for the religion angle.

Anecdotal evidence based on your experience?

My own experience is quite the opposite. I've known many in AA, and none... NOT ONE...
has talked about faith or religion.

You and Pav are both way off on this one. Repeat it all you like. That does not
make it true or factual in the least. Nothing but biased OPINION. Period.

Critical thinkers should be better at removing bias before forming opinions.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Once Again Surf. No one was Repelling to You.

Why do you go Out of your Way to Pick Fights with People who Aren't even Posting at You?

Oh! So people can ONLY reply to posts that are directed at them? Where was that in the rules again, z?

"post at" That's awesome.

Look, gentlemen. It's simple. Different people have different experiences. In the experience of Pav and myself AA tends to be very religion focused. To others it doesn't appear that way. But that doesn't give you carte blanc to start calling people idiots and liars. That's over the line no matter how you slice it.

The best option would be to agree to disagree at this point. I'm not particularly invested in this fight, so I'll leave it to y'all to hash it out.

And z? Your troll-bait post was still weak bait. Very, very weak.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
If anyone is a troll, you and Pav have proven yourselves as such. You're being here is just more proof, if you don't like AA, then why did you come here and start spewing BS?? Both of you kiddies need to grow up and learn some respect like the adults around here.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Look, gentlemen. It's simple. Different people have different experiences. In the experience of Pav and myself AA tends to be very religion focused. To others it doesn't appear that way. But that doesn't give you carte blanc to start calling people idiots and liars. That's over the line no matter how you slice it.

You Never Been to an AA Meeting Surf. Or have even Read the Big Book or the 12x12. And the people who are Disagreeing with you are Active Members of AA.

LMOA

But yeah, your Right. Lets agree to Disagree.

Last edited:

quiter

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
hanging around
Oh! So people can ONLY reply to posts that are directed at them? Where was that in the rules again, z?

"post at" That's awesome.

The best option would be to agree to disagree at this point. I'm not particularly invested in this fight, so I'll leave it to y'all to hash it out.

Honestly why not simply step back and let this thread move on it's way? You are getting nothing out of this thread that you can't get on every other thread so why not go there for your catfights and leave these people alone?

wacdenney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Georgia
There is no denying the faith based origins of AA...

The Oxford Group was a Christian fellowship founded by American Christian missionary Dr. Franklin Nathaniel Daniel Buchman. Buchman was a Lutheran minister who had a conversion experience in 1908 in a chapel in Keswick, England. As a result of that experience, he founded a movement called A First Century Christian Fellowship in 1921, which had become known as the Oxford Group by 1931.

Buchman summed up the group's philosophy in a few sentences: "All people are sinners"; "All sinners can be changed"; "Confession is a prerequisite to change"; "The change can access God directly"; "Miracles are again possible"; and "The change must change others."[4]

The practices they utilized were called the five C's:
Confidence
Confession
Conviction
Conversion
Continuance

Their standard of morality was the Four Absolutes—a summary of the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount:
Absolute-Honesty
Absolute-Purity
Absolute-Unselfishness
Absolute-Love

In his search for relief from his alcoholism, Bill Wilson, one of the two co-founders of AA, joined The Oxford Group and learned their teachings. While Wilson later broke away from The Oxford Group, their teachings influenced the structure of Alcoholics Anonymous and many of the ideas that formed the foundation of AA's suggested twelve-step program.[5][6] Later in life, Bill Wilson gave credit to the Oxford Group for saving his life.[7]
History of Alcoholics Anonymous - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said... The amount of "religion" I found myself subjected to at NA meetings seemed somewhat relative to who was hosting the meetings. The meetings hosted by churches definitely had a different feel than the ones hosted other places. At the end of the day, however, I'm not entirely sure what difference this makes. I certainly wouldn't call AA a front for religion. It all boils down to getting back out of it what you put into it. Depending on how you go about working the program it may or may not end up having some sort of faith element for you. I honestly think agreeing to disagree is the right idea because in the end, this distinction is really irrelevant. If you find a way to get clean, that's really all that matters.

Big Juicy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Placentia, CA

The above statement could not possibly be more false.

Also, to clarify terms here, AA is not "the program," it is a fellowship of people who have a desire to stop drinking. The "program" by definition is the 12 steps as outlined in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Infernal2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
The Oil Coast, AL
I'm of the mind, does it really matter if its a front for religion or not and I ask this as a staunch atheist and scientifically driven? As far as I know, AA, NA, Al-Anon, and the rest don't discriminate on a person's religious convictions or lack thereof as a matter of course and if that's the case, what bearing does it have on the conversation?

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
The above statement could not possibly be more false.

Also, to clarify terms here, AA is not "the program," it is a fellowship of people who have a desire to stop drinking. The "program" by definition is the 12 steps as outlined in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I already said my experience is anecdotal and that I agree to disagree.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
If anyone is a troll, you and Pav have proven yourselves as such. You're being here is just more proof, if you don't like AA, then why did you come here and start spewing BS?? Both of you kiddies need to grow up and learn some respect like the adults around here.

Oh, brother. High strung much? You do realize that dropping in to admonish is just as much a derail?

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Right. Because you were talking about yourself here...

Pretty much, diggin'. Sorry that bums you out, but it's true. I never claimed my statement was anything but opinion. When you asked I clarified. So, what are you complaining about exactly? Sounds a lot like SURFBADMAN! to me.

dragginfly

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri, USA

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Honestly why not simply step back and let this thread move on it's way? You are getting nothing out of this thread that you can't get on every other thread so why not go there for your catfights and leave these people alone?

I think quiter, that there are Just Some Questions that we as Humans will Never Know the Answers to.

At least not in This Lifetime.

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
If anyone is a troll, you and Pav have proven yourselves as such.

I'm not trolling in the least. In fact, I didn't even criticize AA. I never said it didn't work or there were bad people running it. I simply stated it's religious basis. I think it's something someone who is choosing a recovery program might want to know about. Actually, it's very telling to me the amount of vitriol that has been unleashed over a simple statement highlighting what's at the core of this particular recovery program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread