◄ Honest Questions About PureSmokers Future ►

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
This might be a little off topic but i noticed you said a NEW VERSION of the Prodigy. Could you comment on whats new about it? Looks? Features? Color? Etc? I am very interested! I love my Prodigy but very interested in this "newer version" any details at all would be great!

Details are still sketchy at best right now ... We may have stumbled on an idea that will drop voltage just a bit without the use of a resistor. That has been my goal since day 1 ... I would love to see 5.0 - 5.4v without the use of a resistor/regulator/etc.... We are testing materials as we speak.

With that said, I am shooting for a size, not much bigger than the protege right now. Dedicated 5 - 5.5v only ... Satin Stainless Steel ... Knurled/Half Mooned End .... adapters .... *simply refined* that's about all I can say right now .... :) .... thanks for the question Maf!

Fusoya

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
Details are still sketchy at best right now ... We may have stumbled on an idea that will drop voltage just a bit without the use of a resistor. That has been my goal since day 1 ... I would love to see 5.0 - 5.4v without the use of a resistor/regulator/etc.... We are testing materials as we speak.

With that said, I am shooting for a size, not much bigger than the protege right now. Dedicated 5 - 5.5v only ... Satin Stainless Steel ... Knurled/Half Mooned End .... adapters .... *simply refined* that's about all I can say right now .... :) .... thanks for the question Maf!

Long time since I posted.

I see the new prices have gone live. So when can we expect details on the new Prodigy because I am/was debating on whether to order a Protege or other Prodigy as backup but now that there is a new Prodigy which you say might be sleeker in size and design I'm VERY interested.

I just know it's posted now so if we order the *NEW VERSION* now is it the new version or the same version Steve?

You rock dude.

Brandon

j4g3rb0mb3d

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Chicago, IL

0o0o0o0o0 So, it's gonna be smaller?

Ladycats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Western North Carolina
Chances are very good that in the long run, even with a bit higher pricing ..... it will end up being less expensive then the "other guys" ....
I would much rather spend the extra money, knowing that I'm getting a top of the line, quality product (made in the USA), from a top of the line company ( located in the USA), run by seriously top of the line people( that we already love anyways :p) .... as opposed to getting a product that you can almost bet will give you problems from the get go, and having to deal with less than terrific customer care *cringes* .... go for it ! :D

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
i must say, after reading everything, that people are pretty level headed so far with their comments.

i started out cheaply with ecigs, just because it is a pretty big investment even at a $50 kit, well, less now bc of "bargains" i suppose but still.

i think people will be leery of the higher price of these mods REGARDLESS, but a what, $10-20 increase give or take, that's not that bad. the USB is quite a jump, and honestly i've hesitated on buying one even at 40 bucks, just because i don't need one, well...i don't "need' the others...:) but i don't sit attached to a USB port so the passthru is last on my list.

however, would i buy one at $70 with the PS track record? absolutely. i think it's just a matter of education about the products.

none of my friends (well, save like 2) vape, and they are pretty iffy about the whole thing anyway...and moreso with larger mods. i myself wanted a small ecig that looked like a REAL cig, but cooler, like with a blue light...and now, trendy or not, it's the growth and understanding of what the bigger mods offer.

sure i like the little cute old fashioned ecigs (haha) but...i know for a fact my Protege and Prodigy are going to outlast them three-fold.

personally, knowing now what i do about ecigs and bigger mods, i'd gladly have spent the money on one instead of the hundreds i invested in smaller ecigs.

to the masses though, the public sees them differently at first glance, and i don't think the impulse buyers will jump on a $100+ tag for a device they have never used and that doesn't look like an ecig.

i think Steve catches the folks either by reputation, or because a vaper has become disillusioned with the other products they've used.

my alternative opinion, steve, is to see what you can come up with for a "bargain" mod. based on your post, i don't know that it's even possible to create a low cost, quality device, but if you had something at a lower price point JUST to catch the attention and wallets of newcomers...i think that would help set a trend for them to see your prices as reasonable for the quality they offer.

again, hopefully you get what i'm saying, i personally don't think the prices are high at all and i'd likely pay more than they are now, but newbies i'd assume are a bit more hesitant without the experience and knowledge of...crappy PV's.

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net

I was going to buy a protege.. no chance now, not paying 25 dollars more for the same product just because I didn't order early enough... then I saw the price changes and thought, well I guess I could get a prodigy.. but now that I see your plan is to limit its function, not very likely..

I don't think anyone needs TWO $100+ battery holders

I think you summed it up in the OP - you set out to create a great device for under 100 dollars, and you did... now your goal is to make money..

Limoncello

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
oHIo
I was going to buy a protege.. no chance now, not paying 25 dollars more for the same product just because I didn't order early enough... then I saw the price changes and thought, well I guess I could get a prodigy.. but now that I see your plan is to limit its function, not very likely..
Thats your choice.....but you will miss out on a quality pv. Too bad for you

Oh, you presume to say who NEEDS however many they may want to purchase? A bit presumptuous. I have all three, and will be anxiously waiting for a fourth when it's ready.

I think you summed it up in the OP - you set out to create a great device for under 100 dollars, and you did... now your goal is to make money..
After seeing the months Steve has worked on the designing, manufacturing, and the output of so much money, time and so much work to provide us with a quality pv--I would damn well hope he would want to make money. What do you think he is running here, a charity? Sheesh:rolleyes:

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
Thats your choice.....but you will miss out on a quality pv. Too bad for you

Oh, you presume to say who NEEDS however many they may want to purchase? A bit presumptuous. I have all three, and will be anxiously waiting for a fourth when it's ready.

After seeing the months Steve has worked on the designing, manufacturing, and the output of so much money, time and so much work to provide us with a quality pv--I would damn well hope he would want to make money. What do you think he is running here, a charity? Sheesh:rolleyes:

There are plenty of quality PVs out there that didn't just raise their prices 30%, and I don't for a second think he was running a charity at $90.

But a 30% price hike for the exact same product makes me think of cigarettes.. which is what made me stop using them

I see you have no comment on the neutering of the prodigy

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I read on another suppliers forum that a new model will be released soon using this same "material as a resistor" deal. I am with the others that really like the option of being able to use my Prodigy at different voltages. With the two switches I have now it can be used at 3.7, 5, and 6. Now that is nice and helps me to keep the Prodigy high on my list of favorites just because it is so adaptable to what ever my choice is at the moment.

However, I would like to see this simplified a little more in the form of some external switch that allows me to select my voltage without having to take it all apart and swap switches and batteries. I would like to be able to pick up one device and just use it however I want to. I know that kind of technology would be a bit pricy and probably a bit out of the box but the more advanced users would appreciate it and probably pay more for it.

I commend Steve for trying to please everyone and put out a product that is of the highest quality. I know he isn't making a killing on these things but options is what makes the Pure Smoker line one of, if not THE best badazz battery holders on the planet.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA

1. you don't like a product, don't buy it.
2. don't buy TWO 100+ dollar battery holders then, you obviously are just pizzed that you were too late to the game to get in on the first production run, and since the 2nd is more expensive, the price is going up, whatever.
3. making a product smaller and look better, and increasing the voltage, but offering less options, hmmm, sounds like a natural life cycle to me. Less options means less moving parts, and a decreased failure rate, its simple engineering.

finally, if you don't like something about a company, don't buy from them. Don't flame our boards with all your hooblah.

Gibby

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
1. you don't like a product, don't buy it.
2. don't buy TWO 100+ dollar battery holders then, you obviously are just pizzed that you were too late to the game to get in on the first production run, and since the 2nd is more expensive, the price is going up, whatever.
3. making a product smaller and look better, and increasing the voltage, but offering less options, hmmm, sounds like a natural life cycle to me. Less options means less moving parts, and a decreased failure rate, its simple engineering.

finally, if you don't like something about a company, don't buy from them. Don't flame our boards with all your hooblah.

Gibby

if you're really that upset with me expressing my opinion you can remove it from your boards

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
if you're really that upset with me expressing my opinion you can remove it from your boards

Heh, its all good. Not upset here. Express your opinion all you want, as will I.

haha, "our boards" meaning PS boards, we tend to get along here for the most part, So when someone comes along with negativity about the company that most of us buy from, and are happy with, you can expect to get a certain level of push back.

Most that have kept up with the lifecycle of the prodigy are happy with the next iteration, and notice the price is actually going down, and both prices are now lower than the original price of the first prodigy.

take it easy

Gibby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread