Some other addictive chemical or sensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorGecko

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Bangkok
So we've all read that cigarettes contain 4000+ chemicals and by-products. And we know that nicotine is addictive and the basis of why cigs are so highly addictive. But something strange I've noticed is that when I'm solely using an e-cig(meaning no analogs daily), that my cravings to nicotine are not as intense as with a cig. The after-meal, with-coffee, after this before that, etc mental cravings aren't as extreme. If I can't vape that morning, I can go without for a few hours. The addiction is more akin to caffeine addiction. So is it some other chemical dependency? Anyone with a good scientific explaination or anyone totally disagree?

seniorGecko

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Bangkok
Some of the "free bonus" chemicals that Big T puts in the analogs IS designed specifically to sink the hook in deeper. Once you detox all of that out, you are left with JUST the nic addiction.

If so, that is worrisome when the Big Ts get into the e-cig game, they will be including these or other addictive chemicals into their e-liquids for self-preservation.

Last edited:
Interestingly there have been some research reports out talking about at least 3 of the yet unstudied chemicals (that are now being studied) all in the "nero" family (I believe) that in combination with nicotine and in the presence of or because of combustion have some sort of interaction that makes them addictors too. From what I read, alone none of these would be addictive but in combination and the other factors they are.

The research was talking about why, all things being relative, a smoker will fail to be able to stop smoking while just someone addicted to nicotine will be able to kick the addiction. This was all rat studies again where they had the rats that they had given nicotine to until they were addicted, and had the smoking rats that lead to this because they could taper off the nicotine addicted rats and get them to stop craving, or eventually even wanting nicotine but the smoking rats preferred smoking to just nicotine even if the nicotine was easier to get, and that when they were tapered off nicotine they never got where they would not go right back to the smoke.

Anyway, apparently these three chemicals have been found that do this and they now suspect there are more, which pretty much hold up what your saying. I mean we all know there's more to smoking then just a nicotine fix, its mostly been directed to the psychological before (oral fixations etc). If there are, once these studies are complete) then nicotine replacement as the nicotine is now is not all that needs to be replace. The other thing that lead to this study was the percent of people that use nicotine replacement and still smoke, don't end up with nicotine poisoning from higher levels than they are used to and do it because the nicotine "is not enough".

What I got out of reading the paper was that there is nicotine addiction (just pure nicotine) and addiction to this "changed" nicotine. So maybe the 'changed' nicotine a different level of cravings/addictive force/withdraw effects then just pure nicotine.

It will be interesting to see where it goes and if true how long ago the tobacco companies knew...

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
I noticed too that I don't crave eliquid like I did while smoking. I came to this conclusion. Eliquid does not deliver nicotine as quickly as with cigarettes. with cigarettes you get a bigger rush of nicotine and the body knows that and looks for it. with eliquid the body does not get that rush and over time quits looking for it.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
My bet is BT has known for years, because they have the bucks involved to do just that.

My bet is that BT has known for years because they added those chemicals to tobacco precisely to increase the addictive potantial of cigarettes. They knew exactly what they were doing and why.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
One of the chemicals added to cigarette tobacco is ammonia, which results in free-basing of the nicotine. Tobacco also produces contains MAOIs and that contributes to the relaxing effect that smoking a cigarette has on the psyche by preventing the destruction of monoamine oxidase. Dopamine levels in the brain rise and create the calming effect if MAOIs are present and dopamine is not routinely destroyed.

You get hooked on tobacco more strongly due to the MAOI component. Nicotine satisfies the need for nicotine but doesn't inhibit the normal process of dopamine destruction. Chocolate also results in the creation of more dopamine. It's why the more we eat, the more we want.

All About Nicotine | this is your brain on drugs

Slide19.jpg

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Oh THANK YOU SO MUCH for sending me to a link where the first thing I see is cockroaches! And while I'm having my morning coffee... :shock:

But seriously... Burning tobacco doesn't produce MAOI's. MAOI's are added to tobacco by the manufacturer. I was shocked to learn that MAOI's were approved ingredients in cigarettes. These are anti-depressants that in their stand-alone form are classified as drugs and prescribed by doctors to alleviate the symptoms of clinical depression. WT!!!!! If a smoker is suffering from undiagnosed depression and has been, in effect, self-medicating with tobacco, it would explain why those people have such problems quitting.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Oh THANK YOU SO MUCH for sending me to a link where the first thing I see is cockroaches! And while I'm having my morning coffee... :shock:

But seriously... Burning tobacco doesn't produce MAOI's. MAOI's are added to tobacco by the manufacturer. I was shocked to learn that MAOI's were approved ingredients in cigarettes. These are anti-depressants that in their stand-alone form are classified as drugs and prescribed by doctors to alleviate the symptoms of clinical depression. WT!!!!! If a smoker is suffering from undiagnosed depression and has been, in effect, self-medicating with tobacco, it would explain why those people have such problems quitting.

You may have clicked on my old link. When I tested it, it was broken. I edited and inserted the correct link.

While cigarette manufacturers may add MAOI, it also occurs naturally in tobacco.
Monoamine oxidase inhibitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
If so, that is worrisome when the Big Ts get into the e-cig game, they will be including these or other addictive chemicals into their e-liquids for self-preservation.

Which is exactly why BIG TOBACCO IS OUR ENEMY and should be treated as such. In fact any time a business gets "big" it starts looking for ways to save money and make even more money.

Greed is horrible.

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
I came to this conclusion. Eliquid does not deliver nicotine as quickly as with cigarettes.

I completely disagree with this statement, not arguing or saying you're wrong because I have no proof that I am right, but I could not disagree with your statement any more. I personally get an INSTANT feel from the nic delivered from my mods.

with cigarettes you get a bigger rush of nicotine and the body knows that and looks for it. with eliquid the body does not get that rush and over time quits looking for it.

I believe that "bigger rush" is NOT from nicotine, but from nicotine AND all the other crap big tobacco puts in there to keep you buying their product.

Big tobacco is our mortal enemy and I PROMISE you they will infiltrate our industry and do EVERYTHING in their power (which is far more powerful than many of us even imagine) to put the same crap in e-juice as is in analogs.

If you do not believe me you are completely delusional.

Money = Greed and greed will make a man sacrifice his children for more money and more power.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Interestingly there have been some research reports out talking about at least 3 of the yet unstudied chemicals (that are now being studied) all in the "nero" family (I believe) that in combination with nicotine and in the presence of or because of combustion have some sort of interaction that makes them addictors too. From what I read, alone none of these would be addictive but in combination and the other factors they are.

The research was talking about why, all things being relative, a smoker will fail to be able to stop smoking while just someone addicted to nicotine will be able to kick the addiction. This was all rat studies again where they had the rats that they had given nicotine to until they were addicted, and had the smoking rats that lead to this because they could taper off the nicotine addicted rats and get them to stop craving, or eventually even wanting nicotine but the smoking rats preferred smoking to just nicotine even if the nicotine was easier to get, and that when they were tapered off nicotine they never got where they would not go right back to the smoke.

Anyway, apparently these three chemicals have been found that do this and they now suspect there are more, which pretty much hold up what your saying. I mean we all know there's more to smoking then just a nicotine fix, its mostly been directed to the psychological before (oral fixations etc). If there are, once these studies are complete) then nicotine replacement as the nicotine is now is not all that needs to be replace. The other thing that lead to this study was the percent of people that use nicotine replacement and still smoke, don't end up with nicotine poisoning from higher levels than they are used to and do it because the nicotine "is not enough".

What I got out of reading the paper was that there is nicotine addiction (just pure nicotine) and addiction to this "changed" nicotine. So maybe the 'changed' nicotine a different level of cravings/addictive force/withdraw effects then just pure nicotine.

It will be interesting to see where it goes and if true how long ago the tobacco companies knew...

These?

These appear to be just perfume/flavor ingredients, do you have a link to this research? :)

317Vapers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Indiana
www.youtube.com
Not that the only thing addicting is the nic in analogs, but your body gets accustomed to all the other chemicals and thinks it needs it as well. Thus having the cravings. Once your clean of all that then you just have a slight craving for nic just like one would with caffeine and "Think" they need a soda bad!

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States
So we've all read that cigarettes contain 4000+ chemicals and by-products. And we know that nicotine is addictive and the basis of why cigs are so highly addictive. But something strange I've noticed is that when I'm solely using an e-cig(meaning no analogs daily), that my cravings to nicotine are not as intense as with a cig. The after-meal, with-coffee, after this before that, etc mental cravings aren't as extreme. If I can't vape that morning, I can go without for a few hours. The addiction is more akin to caffeine addiction. So is it some other chemical dependency? Anyone with a good scientific explaination or anyone totally disagree?

It only takes a couple of hours to have the first quit-smoking symptoms and I had associated those symptoms with nicotine dependence. The most striking symptom is that funny feeling in the lungs and coughing within a couple hours. That's actually not nicotine dependence, it's your lungs healing. :)

Also vaping is a less efficient form of nicotine delivery than smoking cigarettes. You absorb less of it and it takes longer to get into your good. In effect, I think your conditioning yourself to be less dependent

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I completely disagree with this statement, not arguing or saying you're wrong because I have no proof that I am right, but I could not disagree with your statement any more. I personally get an INSTANT feel from the nic delivered from my mods.

I believe that "bigger rush" is NOT from nicotine, but from nicotine AND all the other crap big tobacco puts in there to keep you buying their product.

Big tobacco is our mortal enemy and I PROMISE you they will infiltrate our industry and do EVERYTHING in their power (which is far more powerful than many of us even imagine) to put the same crap in e-juice as is in analogs.

If you do not believe me you are completely delusional.

Money = Greed and greed will make a man sacrifice his children for more money and more power.

I have to agree with Jethead. When I do a nice long pull off an RBA I can feel the nic instantly (within a few seconds). What I don't feel is that "big rush" I used to get with cigarettes.

Now, everybody is different and not everyone vapes the same way so for those that like to just hold it in their mouth for a few seconds and either inhale or exhale...yes...it may take longer for the nicotine to reach the brain.

I've shared this before and I'll share it again...I smoked roll your own for years and I used cheap pipe tobacco because it was...well...cheap. Long before I even heard of vaping I noticed that when I smoked a name brand cigarette I would get that "big rush" which I never got from my el cheapo RYO cigs.

I firmly believe this is why it was so easy for me to move from smoking to vaping and why some people struggle with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread