Cthulhu RTA Discusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have one major complaint now, the damn hex screws! The allen hole is so small, and the key they provided is slightly smaller than that, so trapping wires is difficult. I have stripped the hex on 3 of them already. Anyone know what size they are so i can order some more sturdy replacements?

I was pretty sure that I did the same thing, but to the little hex key they give you. I ran over to Lowes but couldn't find one small enough. Ended up running to Walmart and found a 44 piece precision screwdriver set that came with a hex head that fit (the 2nd smallest one) and I was able to tighten them enough with that, all though one of my screws might be a bit stripped. The things are tiny, so the only thing I can think of that might work would be eyeglass screws. Good luck and let us know if you find anything, I'm sure many like me would like some screw replacements for when it happens.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I was pretty sure that I did the same thing, but to the little hex key they give you. I ran over to Lowes but couldn't find one small enough. Ended up running to Walmart and found a 44 piece precision screwdriver set that came with a hex head that fit (the 2nd smallest one) and I was able to tighten them enough with that, all though one of my screws might be a bit stripped. The things are tiny, so the only thing I can think of that might work would be eyeglass screws. Good luck and let us know if you find anything, I'm sure many like me would like some screw replacements for when it happens.
I used a 30something piece kit from Harbor Freight and the one that fit was still loose. I may try to take one to the local hardware store and see if i can find one that may work, but it may be too small and be an online order only type thing.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
Good luck finding something. The ones in Lowes I saw were too small, but the piece that I have that fits IMO a bit better than the included key is labeled as CR-V 0.9, and you end up heading to Walmart to see if you can find the set it's in a little clear and red plastic box labeled "Ultra Tough Ultrasteel 44 Piece Precision Screwdriver Bits Set" with all the other tools.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Good luck finding something. The ones in Lowes I saw were too small, but the piece that I have that fits IMO a bit better than the included key is labeled as CR-V 0.9, and you end up heading to Walmart to see if you can find the set it's in a little clear and red plastic box labeled "Ultra Tough Ultrasteel 44 Piece Precision Screwdriver Bits Set" with all the other tools.
Sorry, I meant, find screws that work better than the supplied ones.

Mark Todd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2012
    Fife, Scotland
    www.toddsreviews.com
    thank Todai, I have looked at so many video reviews. This intrigues me because Todd seems to set up his atties in similar resistance etc. as I do and he got a kick out of this.

I would only use this at home , and outside.

I still use this a lot!

It's strange as it's totally outside my my normal vaping habits but it's just a little bit crazy and a lot of fun, sometimes you just have to step into the wild side :D

Flavour is very good though and even at a higher resistance it still performs very well.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 21, 2014
    Poquoson, VA
    I didn't find anything in Lowes, but I haven't checked Home Depot, Ace or anywhere else. Maybe a hobby store might have some that small, but it seems most things at Lowes were significantly bigger. Good luck!
    I will have to check my local Hobby Lobby if I get some time to make it out there this week. I emailed Cthulhu directly as to the size of them and will post the results and some places online to purchase them once I get a reply.

spawn

Apr 13, 2011
    Australia
    So I finally got mine and got round to building it.

* Quality (machining) is very good. (serial number 626).
    * Love the huge juice channels
    * AFC ring is tight and hard to adjust, I put some juice on the O-ring to help with that but I think a thinner O-ring would help here.
    * Nut that screws on top of the chimney is a b*tch to get it to thread without cross threading (so be careful)
    * I love the drip-tip.
    * Top fill is awesome but you can get more juice in from the bottom. One thing I disliked with the Goblin is the bottom fill, having to unscrew each time (causing wear on the 510 threads, including metal dust and oxidation - remedied with some dielectric grease).
    * Built the following coils:

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

* Running at 50W for now, can possibly go to 60W with 200mw/m2 (warmish vape).
    * No dry hits so far
    * No leaking
    * Had no problems with the grub screws and key, in fact I like them more than standard screws
    * Deck area can hold (based on my measurements) a 4.2mm wide coil and 4.2mm ID. I think this is slightly larger than the Goblin deck.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Penumbra

Phassat

ECF Veteran
    Nov 9, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Anybody tried to leave it at sleep position overnight? Any leaks?

I have tried Orchid, Lemo and STM so far.... 8 months into vaping. Orchid was terrible with its leaks. If I put it in sleep position, it will leaks. Lemo was great... maybe small leaks but with its chamber at the bottom part, leaks can be contained. STM is solid... no leaks, lots of flavor and vapor... warmer than Lemo and have a bit different flavor outcome. Problem with STM is spit back!

Right now I am looking at Cthulhu, Lemo 2, and Goliath for my 4th set... So far, I think Goliath is the most interesting one.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 21, 2014
    Poquoson, VA
    Quick update on mine, the airflow has been weird on mine since I first got it. It seemed I got better airflow when half closed. No biggie. Wide open was more restricted than half closed. So last night I look inside the airhole and see giant chunks of burrs hanging down from the vertical airhole. Take it all apart and find out the vertical airholes weren't drilled down all the way through. Didn't have my drill bits on me so I did my best to get rid of te burrs and it's a huge difference on airflow now. Just a heads up that the machining isn't equal on all of them.

Reactions: Cacique

Cacique

ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Big Me, I'm not but when I read your post I decided to give it a shot and got mine off, only thing is it unscrewed the chimney too. As I pop the top off I see the chimney start moving on the inside and it slowly started leaking down the airholes. Not sure how that happened but I figured I should let you all know that could happen.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 16, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Is anyone else having problems removing the top cap to refill it? I just can't get a decent enough grip on it and have to use needle nose pliers to get it undone. :(

Are you unscrewing the entire cap or just the piece the drip tip fits into? The part that screws in on top is two parts. I only point it out as I was having the same issue. Try to unscrew it by the drip tip.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Ok, the grub screws are M2 x 4, BUT, the holes on the positive block are too close together for my phillips head screws despite their having tiny heads.

The allen wrench that came with mine is 0.9, and so far no issues using it. In fact I though this was very easy to set up.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Well I just ran into my first huge issues. I had issues with the allen wrench getting stuck or not gripping the screws. Today I go to rebuilt it for the 4th or 5th time, trying to find the right vape for me and 2 of the screws won't come out. I tried every single piece in my screwdriver set and nothing is catching and getting them to come out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or am I stuck contacting the vendor?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread