The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Oliver, May 5, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Oh great. Tack another 3 days onto a FT package.

It's likely a targeted investigation based on the materials identified to date. So whoever ordered those Dank Vapes cartridges and boxes for Halloween pranks will probably end up with a lot of explaining to do.

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Katdarling

Katdarling Blinged mods and poli-TIX ready! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia

• Like Like x 13
  3. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bronze

Bronze ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    • Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Yup. Seems the failed NY ban might have slowed the roll of some states a little. They won't have to wait too long for May, anyway. And/or other federal action.

In the article, though, it was funny to see how in spite of the hate Gottlieb got around these parts, NYT cast him as a pure vaping villain. I still think he did vaping about as much justice as anyone in that position, at that time, could have.

edit: Michigan's ban was halted with a temp. injunction today, too.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    Yep. Gottlieb got scalded on these threads and yet he was, as it is turning out, the one most sympathetic to adult vapers.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    It looks like the MI one was for the same reason as in NY. The "emergency" has existed for over a year and using emergency powers in place of legislative review is a no no. It's especially important in NY as the legislature did take up youth vaping, considered a flavor ban, and opted for an increase in age to 21 instead. Cuomo can't suddenly declare it an emergency when the legislature already considered it. He needs to bring it back there, not just issue edicts.

I think governors will need to start rethinking the emergency thing, especially if it's already been addressed or is in the process of being addressed, through normal rule making legal state laws and stuff. Of note, not one of these flavor bans was specifically directed due to the acute lung injury breakout, which might be an emergency but there's no evidence to date it's flavor related, and a lot of evidence to date it's not related to nic vaping in the first place. I guess it sucks for the governors when the judges are smarter than the public and the pandering elected officials on stuff like this.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Qew

Qew Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2012
    Michigan
    • Informative Informative x 8
  9. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    If the judiciary is doing what they were designed to do, they make decisions void of politics. Doesn’t happen all the time but when it does you get decisions that make sense.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. AttyPops

AttyPops Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    South Korea

MIGHT be unrelated to vaping crisis here, or some other outlier situation. Or maybe not.

If you go looking for something across 10's or 100's of millions of people...you'll find it. But what "it" is it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. muth

muth Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
  14. LoriP1702

LoriP1702 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    That made me shudder! :lol::lol::lol:
    :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. NolaMel

NolaMel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Politicians have that effect on many people :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
  16. AttyPops

Supporting member
    He Tried E-Cigarettes to Quit Smoking. Doctors Say Vaping Led to His Death.

OK, yeah, long-time smoker with bad lungs.
    Still, interesting read, and provokes questions, particularly for us long-term-former-smokers that are now using e-nic.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Note that: "The official cause of death was acute respiratory failure as a consequence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease."

It's long been predicted that this would happen; a decades-long smoker who switched to vaping some years ago would die of some respiratory problem, and his death would be blamed on vaping. I'll make a prediction: He won't be the first.

• Agree Agree x 16
  18. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, if I get lung cancer here like in 3 years after OH DECADES of smoking, I will be sure to not only mention to the docs that NO TOBACCO has passed my lips for like 3 ish years, so it MUST be vaping.

To be fair, some docs are dumb enough to believe it, and I dealt with one today who was perhaps both dumb AND manipulative.

I'm calling my boss tomorrow, he ASKED ME WHAT TO PRESCRIBE he is JUST that lazy. I suggested the OVER THE COUNTER option because that is all I am LICENSED to prescribe. It was also probably the best medication for the situation but that just happened to be MY good luck.

He lied to get me over to deal with a situation HE did not want to, repeatedly lied to ME about what he was going to do, I was FISHING him out of other patient's rooms so I could TRY to make him do his job so much, it was like dynamiting FISH seriously.

He is totally blacklisted by me. If he ever has a TRUE suicidal client (the only reason I am ALLLOWED to go over there) well, I am making him switch that patient to another doctor.

He is Douche.

I am waiting until tomorrow to CALL my supervisor on this one, because I will have NOTHING to do with him again. My JOB is not at HIS SITE. His site deals MAINLY with well child visits. Don't tell me, "I was just so behind on my notes so I didn't want to bother with it." Because I will EAT you I got up early to go get my OWN lab work and am several centuries BEHIND on my notes. I am doing them after DINNER at the moment. He is....

Yeah I am glad I waited. LOL.

Anna

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  19. AttyPops

Supporting member
    That was the initial cause. Later, upon reviewing the x-rays, they found the vaping-related "ground glass" situation (different than COPD).

Still, yeah, he had a lot of crap going on for sure. So who knows? But that x-ray result is interesting. Family swears no THC vaping.

IDK.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    "family swears" is just like the most unreliable evidence ever IMHO. I'm just saying.

I would not base much of my life around anything related to "family swears."

I have found that much of the time, "family swears" are either lies or clueless.
    Anna

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1