Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
That was the initial cause. Later, upon reviewing the x-rays, they found the vaping-related "ground glass" situation (different than COPD).

Still, yeah, he had a lot of crap going on for sure. So who knows? But that x-ray result is interesting. Family swears no THC vaping.

IDK.
What the heck is a "vaping-related "ground glass" situation"? That's a new one for me. How and why does someone vape ground glass?

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
What the heck is a "vaping-related "ground glass" situation"? That's a new one for me. How and why does someone vape ground glass?

Think I read somewhere that some of the xrays showed areas of speckling that they compared to ground glass. My recollection is that they didn't know what it was, but it's appearance on the xrays resembled ground glass. If they were taking xrays presumably the patients were alive so they couldn't dive in and get a closer look at those areas.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Think I read somewhere that some of the xrays showed areas of speckling that they compared to ground glass. My recollection is that they didn't know what it was, but it's appearance on the xrays resembled ground glass. If they were taking xrays presumably the patients were alive so they couldn't dive in and get a closer look at those areas.
And now what someone should do is to go through older x-rays (from before vaping was a thing) to check if that's been seen before and therefore cannot necessarily be attributed to vaping. But somehow, I doubt this will happen anytime soon, because it wouldn't help with the narrative that's being pushed.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

Well caught. I assumed it was a casual observation by the doctors that it resembled ground glass.

The list of conditions that can give rise to ground glass appearance in Xrays is really long. A bit like shortness of breath. You see that, then do a bunch of other tests to figure out what the cause is. On its own it doesn't tell you much except that there is something wrong with the lungs.

Wish I could find the original vaping article where it was mentioned. My recollection is that seeing this on some of the Xrays was used as a way of contradicting the suggestion that there was a single cause for all the cases. I'm not convinced it does that.

Hypersensitivity and poisoning were mentioned. I followed one link to hypersensitivity pneumonitis. It can be caused by exposure to a long list of irritants, mostly involving inhaling stuff on the job, and some hobbies. But most of those took a long time to cause the disease to appear.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Just a news report on tonight about 100 plus deaths per day on opioids. After all the ink and bandwidth spilled on vaping over the last couple of months, I am reminded of a quote from the infamous Josef Stalin.
One death is a tragedy, millions merely a statistic.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just a news report on tonight about 100 plus deaths per day on opioids. After all the ink and bandwidth spilled on vaping over the last couple of months, I am reminded of a quote from the infamous Josef Stalin.
One death is a tragedy, millions merely a statistic.
Sometimes I think people like to blame all of the societal woes on one thing. Vaping is the least able to defend itself so that’s why we’re under attack.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Sometimes I think people like to blame all of the societal woes on one thing. Vaping is the least able to defend itself so that’s why we’re under attack.
That, and the FDA approved all the opioids. Easy to blame vaping since (according to THEM, not Moi) there are noooo studies proving their safety or effectiveness :rolleyes:. FDA is never going to say, oops, we were wrong about that whole it’s safe to prescribe thing.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Yup ground glass can be lung injury to pnemonia. Lipoid pnemonia needs to be associated with vaping THC bootleg period. If THC wasn't demonized this would not be happening I think

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually THC is not being demonized, always mentioned in the third or fourth paragraph, sometimes, after the vaping is the devil headline.
WE are being demonized.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well that ground glass thing SURE convinced me it was all nicotine vaping, and like, ACTUAL ground glass, stuck in people's lungs because nowhere was it mentioned in the article.

If it was not mentioned it had to be true.

VAPE PLASTIC FTW.

Or whatever. I bet the cartridges WERE plastic. But I don't know for sure.

That is the most eerily sort of "terrible vaping term" that has little to do with vaping I have ever heard color me IMPRESSED.

OMG tomorrow is FRIDAY!

Anna

Reactions: CMD-Ky

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Actually THC is not being demonized, always mentioned in the third or fourth paragraph, sometimes, after the vaping is the devil headline.
WE are being demonized.

Saw this at the end of an article today in my local paper. THC doesn't even get a letter in the acronym.

Does this disease have a name?
The CDC has started referring to this condition as E-cigarette, or Vaping, (product use) Associated Lung Injury, or EVALI.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
That was the initial cause. Later, upon reviewing the x-rays, they found the vaping-related "ground glass" situation (different than COPD).

Still, yeah, he had a lot of crap going on for sure. So who knows? But that x-ray result is interesting. Family swears no THC vaping.

IDK.

It doesn't matter what the family swears. The patient was a chronic smoker with COPD--anything can show on his X-ray. See jandrew's definition below: It is a non-specific sign with a wide etiology including infection, chronic interstitial disease and acute alveolar disease.

Bingo!
S
Does this disease have a name?

It apparently does now...:facepalm: The problem is, it stands for "we have no clue."

As for real diseases, this is what we know so far.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1912032

"The cases demonstrate a heterogeneous collection of pneumonitis patterns that include:
-acute eosinophilic pneumonia,
-organizing pneumonia,
-lipoid pneumonia,
-diffuse alveolar damage and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS),
-diffuse alveolar hemorrhage,
-hypersensitivity pneumonitis,
-and the rare giant-cell interstitial pneumonitis."

The causes are still unknown. But I think we can safely rule out PG and VG at least: ;)

Effects of Electronic Cigarette Constituents on the Human Lung: A Pilot Clinical Trial
Genome-wide expression, microRNA, and mRNA were determined from bronchial epithelial cells. There were no significant differences in changes of BAL inflammatory cell counts or cytokines between baseline and follow-up, comparing the control and e-cig groups. However, in the intervention but not the control group, change in urinary PG as a marker of e-cig use and inhalation, was significantly correlated with change in cell counts (cell concentrations, macrophages, and lymphocytes) and cytokines (IL-8, IL-13, and TNF-α), although the absolute magnitude of changes was small. There were no significant changes in mRNA or microRNA gene expression.

This is a very small pilot study from Ohio, but it seems to confirm what we all here already know.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
ust a news report on tonight about 100 plus deaths per day on opioids.

95% of tested baby foods in the US contain toxic metals, report says - CNN

"Tests of 168 baby foods from major manufacturers in the US found 95% contained lead, 73% contained arsenic, 75% contained cadmium and 32% contained mercury. One fourth of the foods contained all four heavy metals.

One in five baby foods tested had over 10 times the 1-ppb limit of lead endorsed by public health advocates, although experts agree that no level of lead is safe."

Earth do FDA! Wanna save the children? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread