The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Oliver, May 5, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    You need to get one of these to swat a certain nephews grubby hands.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. r055co

r055co Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    FDA regulating batteries, that's going to be be very difficult due to the numerous other consumer uses for them. You know like RC, Drone, Flashlights, etc. In any case if they somehow get away with it there's not only the Black Market but ripping apart drill, laptop and numerous other hand held devices battery packs.

The bought and paid for whores of Big Pharma can try but will fail and fail miserably.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    JMO

But I believe when the FDA talks about Regulating Batteries, they are Referring more towards Built-In Battery Mods, Pod Mods, and Cig-a-likes more than they are talking about Regulating Battery Cells like an 18650.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    We shall see, but never underestimate the greed and thirst for power that is Government.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Not really they can just forbid ecigs with replaceable batteries. Sure there's going to be some black market action and guys with lathes are going to be your best friend (well until maybe steel gets more expensive) but vape shops won't be able to sell them and you'll probably not be able to import them (if customs find them).

I'm not sure it's only about internal batteries, in the video on the last page it sure seems they're also collecting data (i.e. accidents) about replaceable batteries.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    How about the RC, Drone and flashlight devices? If they ban 18650"s for Vaping ya just buy them from flashlight sites.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    I recently bought one of these:

[​IMG]

Check out this snippet from the manual:

[​IMG]
    Can you say "twenty high-drain 18650s" ? 10S 2P. :vapor:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    It's not coming up on my phone.

I'll also add that our regular trusted sources like liionwholesale.com, imrbatteries.com, illum.com all they have to do is post a not for Vaping notice. Not much will change if the FDA attempts to control batteries.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    My point is just that even if some regulatory agency forbids the sale of loose cells, there will still be a way to get them, and while the normal advice is: Don't use cells from a laptop pack (because they tend not to have a very high CDR), these packs use known good-for-vaping cells.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I highly doubt that will ever be necessary.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Have you read what I wrote?
    They all would be completely unaffected if e cigarettes with exchangeable batteries were prohibited. Those couldn't be sold in shops then and importing would be harder (or a lottery like in the EU).
    They don't have to do anything to the battery market, in fact they would only regulate a "tobacco product", which a mod is.
    You could still buy all batteries but you won't be able to buy a mod to put them in. You would only be able to buy mods with internally installed fixed batteries.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Many of us have already have enough removable-battery mods to last several lifetimes. :D

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  13. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Yes, veterans won't be as annoyed. Some already have a supply that would last for many lifetimes.
    It's about new vapers and what the vaping scene will look like in the future. It's about small manufacturers and custom mods. They all would have to use internal batteries and pass the tests that are probably getting imposed along the regulation as well as paying for those.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I don't believe this will have an effect on regulated Mod fan's, not much if anything. Regulated Mod's with Lipos I doubt if the general Regulated Mod Vaper would even notice.

For Mech fans which I am we can just call them flashlights. Plus us Mech fans most have multiple Mod's and most mechanical mods will last multiple lifetimes and are very easy to make if you absolutely have to.

I seriously don't see any reason whatsoever to panic.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    You can hope. That's what people here thought as well. Then came the regulation and

"electronic cigarette means a product that can be used for consumption of nicotine-containing vapour via a mouth piece, or any component of that product, including a cartridge, a tank and the device without cartridge or tank. Electronic cigarettes can be disposable or refillable by means of a refill container and a tank, or rechargeable with single use cartridges;"

all of the sudden you couldn't call it a flashlight. If it can be used to make an electronic cigarette then it is an electronic cigarette. That's what they achieved here and the FDA will at least take a look at it.
    I'm not new to the regulation BS, we in the EU had those exact discussions already a few years ago with all the same ideas on how to evade the potential regulations.
    Now there's wire with a nicotine warning on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Thus why

1. I got into rebuilding
    2. I got into Mechanical Mods
    3. I learned how to DiY juice but still just buy commercial juice for now.
    4. Most importantly I stockpiled

Bottom line is they're coming after the Vaping Industry because they are loosing a substantial amount of money in lost tobacco and pharmaceutical money. All they are really going to accomplish is to destroy a major industry and jobs. Vaping will go underground and rather easily for everything in Vaping has numerous other uses.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    My hope is that they put the kibosh on the counterfeit rewrappers and leave it at that. Sadly if anything gets banned, I can almost see mechs and hybrids being the first thing to go as they are the "most dangerous" in the hands of amateurs and the ill-informed. Especially after reading that article about how both the FDA and CPSC are now focusing more on preventing the explosions/fires.

At some point in the future I can possibly see them also making all mods be temp based and have a temp cap at a level that prevents or seriously restricts the creation of aldehydes.

This of course could all be wishful thinking and they end up saying you must vape a pod system with built in battery or nothing at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Oh, I forgot.

As to the flashlight comment, where do you think the term Mod comes from? Modified Flashlight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ScottP

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I wish I could learn to extract and make my own 100mg nic base from scratch as well. That way I could always have fresh nic and not have to worry about stockpiling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Yep, I agree with the rewrappers. Sucks about Mech's but Mech's will go underground and become more expensive. I myself went down the Rabbit Hole and have a rather large collection. I've been clearing out my Clone and lower end Mech's though. There always be a market for Mech's, kind of a shame though for if they ban them I believe it will put more people at risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1