Do you expose yours in public? I feel shy

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaporeta

Dec 17, 2009
Spain
I tend to stick with only vaping where you can smoke...except bars. Never had an issue and have had lots of interesting conversations because of it!

When I started to vape I felt shy an I tried to do it only where it was allowed to smoke but as times went by I began to feel less shy and I began to vape in bars. I don´t vape in many places such as hospitals, or in front of children but I use to do it in bars.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I vape loud and proud but also respectfully. I will go stealth in a restaurant after dinner or in a movie theater. I don't blow big clouds in places that smoking is not allowed. If I am outside or in a place where smoking is allowed I will chain vape openly. I don't mind the looks and questions. Just tonight I was standing outside waiting for a table at a restaurant and was happily vaping away.

GinnyDragon54

Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Beloit, KS
Personally, I love using mine in front of people, especially smokers. It's a neat conversation starter, and I'm hoping that, one day, maybe my testimony will help someone make the switch from smoking to vaping. I'm still a little weird about using it indoors at public places (restaurants, airport, etc.), but when I do, I usually try to ask an employee if it's okay to use in their facility. I'm friends with the bartender at the bar I hang out at sometimes, and I asked him if I could use my e-cig there. He said when they're slow, it's no problem, but if they're busy, I may want to go outside just to avoid the whole "hey, she's "smoking" in here, why can't I?" problem, which I understand. I prefer going outside to vape when I'm there anyway, because everyone knows all the cool kids hang outside! ;-)

My ego twist, T3 full of orange liquid combo looks so far from a cigarette to me that I don't think anyone would really expect that it's a cigarette. If I'm going to vape indoors I ask the owner, or what have you, in advance. Haven't had anyone have a problem with it yet, and people seem a lot more hip to e-cigs than I initially thought.

People see the disposables and stuff in stores and they get the gist of it, even out here in rural Ireland.

I guess I'm a rare one. I walk around with my Lava Fire vaping pretty much anywhere. I usually exhale through the nose to reduce my cloud when I'm in Walmart. I actually hope to be approached so I can educate. Education and acceptance is our only hope. I do notice myself not hitting or exhaling when a kid ends up near me. And my 4 year old daughter doesn't even know I have a PV.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I have no shame in vaping either. I really want the public to embrace it and accept it and we cant do that if we're hiding and sneaking around like we're doing something illegal. I do not vape in no smoking areas (unless I stealth it every now and again) and I don't run around with my device yelling [B]"lookit me, I'm a vaper! Don't you wish you were one too??" [/B]I use it as a smoker would use their cigarette. But when I'm done vaping, I just drop it back into my jacket while they're busy squashing out burning embers.

I also have four vape shops within a 10 mile radius, so that really helps spread the word. My favorite place to vape is atthe vape shop though! It's amazing how many friends you make while sitting around (they all have big comfy chairs or barstools to sit on), waiting in line, vaping away. Anytime I've ever been in one of the shops, I've never noticed anyone in line getting antsy. We sit and vape and converse like we're a bunch of long lost friends and almost sad when we're called up to get down to business, lol. It's a whole little community around here!

This is a great T-shirt idea too! :thumb:

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I vape in public all the time. I want people to get used to seeing PV's. Yesterday we were at BJ's Wholesale. I forgot about trying to stealth vape. No one said a word to me, no strange looks. It was too cool. :)

The only time I try to hide it is when I am around families. Kids are super curious creatures and I don't think the parents are equipped to discuss what an ecig is with them.

What I'm doing is not illegal and I refuse to treat it like I am doing something illegal. I was sitting outside on my front steps about a month ago vaping and waiting for the mailman. We can all relate to that! :). A neighbor walked by, smiled said hi and I did notice that he saw my Twist and larger Nova tank. Never said a word about the setup. About ten minutes after he went inside his place, a police car pulls up across the street a little ways down from me. It sits there for about three minutes or so. I'm still vaping. I'm not doing anything illegal so I'm not going to hide it! The officer finally gets out of his car, walks down the sidewalk across from me, gets to the point where he is directly opposite from me. He turns so his back is to me, speaks into his radio on his shoulder then gets back into his car then leaves.

Think my neighbor thought I was doing something illegal? I can't wait till spring and it is nice enough to sit out on the steps again!

I have vaped by my husbands work, which is right across from a police station. One day, while talking with hubby and one of his coworkers, a couple of officers got into their vehicle which was right next to us. They saw me and never said a word. I was always curious what would happen, now I know. No big deal. They know what it is. Vape away.

Something similar happened to me. I was vaping outside of a grocery store while waiting for my daughter to finish shopping. A cop walked around me, looking everywhere BUT not looking directly AT me... coming closer and closer... I continued to vape... then he finally just walked over to me. It was kind of funny actually... At first, he started questioning me in a very abrupt manner? I calmly explained what it was, how it works and it's purpose. He calmed WAY down and became very curious because his wife was a smoker, he a nonsmoker and wanted her to stop. He said she had tried to stop smoking numerous times but always failed. Then he was excited like a little kid and begged me to give him more information about where to get it. He was going to order a setup for her as soon as he got home.

Lots of people who smoke or have loved ones who smoke are not aware of this alternative. Vaping outside can invite people to ask questions, letting them know there is a better safer way to satisfy the cigarette habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread