How do you handle those people who....

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
Gotta say, I admire anyone who quit smoking "cold turkey" after they were truly hooked....kudos to you!! As I've said before, I almost feel guilty that it was so easy for me once I tried my first eGo....but after 47 years and trying to quit by other means, I am filled with gratitude for whatever works about vaping!! It is really hard to comprehend what all the hoopla against it is!!

As far as those who don't understand or approve, I just ignore them. Some of you have some delightful responses, though!!

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
"Kill 'em with kindness"

Noper, smother 'em with indifference!

If they had paid my bills, raised my kids and endured my 'cold turkey' experience, then MAYBE I could GAS.

BTW, I've yet to encounter such an azzhat... but I am prepared!
icon_wink.gif

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
used to smoke and quit??? They look down on those of us who have started vaping by saying, "I quit cold turkey," or "What do you need that for?"
They seem to have that "superior" attitude because they didn't rely on anything to help them quit smoking. How do you handle them??
How I handle them depends on exactly what they say, and exactly how they say it.

Dandreid

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
Santa Fe, NM, USA
I've known people who quit cold turkey. I've tried, plus, I tried just about everything else. I haven't had anyone tell me they quit cold turkey and I should too, but I know what I would do.
I'd simply tell them my story if they will listen.
First, how I tried many other things and how I'm just not able to do it. I just don't have the strength to quit like that.
Second, I will tell them about my father. He quit cold turkey for 18 years and now smokes again.
Third, I will tell them that if they ever decide to start smoking again, give vaping a try instead because it is much healthier.

The last thing I want to do is cause a "fight" about it, who cares if they need to feel superior, I'm confident enough in who I am to know that they can think whatever they want to and it doesn't matter to me. Friends support each other and if anyone needs to feel superior to me rather than equal to me, they aren't worth being my friend.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
People who have quit cold turkey have my utmost admiration. People who have quit cold turkey and say, "Well, Iiiiiiiiii quit cold turkey! So why can't you?" get a sugary sweet "Well bless your little heart." from me. Best shove-off outside of curse words ever.
Had to check your location after that one...

Yup, sure enough.
:thumb:

TRoxx

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2013
NY
used to smoke and quit??? They look down on those of us who have started vaping by saying, "I quit cold turkey," or "What do you need that for?"
They seem to have that "superior" attitude because they didn't rely on anything to help them quit smoking. How do you handle them??

I say to them:
Wait a minute .Im supposed to stop smoking ?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

Are you sure they actually quit or stayed quit? Having known smokers who tried alternative methods or cold turkey and relapsed time and time again, I tend to take those statement or questions as a plea for help - no matter what attitude might have come with their pronouncement. Just let them know they have a better option this time around if that last attempt at quitting starts to falter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread