Innokin Giveaway! Ask Phil and Dimitris anything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Phil and Dimitris Please at least give it some consideration . Zenith tank with another optional head clr type coilhead i know the Zenith was made for ease of use and that is truly great for many but another option would surely bring in even more folks to buy that tank.
Its been discussed in clr thread that many would prefer that v2 mega style to be top filled like the Zenith .
Do have 4 ares tanks and do like them although a different vape and shy away from the Zenith because of coil heads that i would have to keep buying instead of rebuilding them.
Please no insult intended and will not mention it again.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
@Dimitris or @pbusardo, l was wondering, for the longevity of the internal battery, at what point is it best to charge it?
I’ve read that internal batts should be charged at about 30% power left and not to let it get down bellow 10-15 %. What do you recommend with Kroma?
Vonnie
I vape therefore I am:)

I know I am not Phil or Dimitris, but this is a basic battery question.

First, remember that there are two main types of rechargeable batteries. Nickel Cadmium, and Lithium Ion. Nickel Cadmium is a very safe battery that usually outputs around 1.2 volts of electricity. It is an older style, invented over 100 years ago. They have a memory cell capacity, meaning to prolong the life of the battery, it is best to discharge it fully then recharge it. This is the type of battery most people think of when they hear "rechargeable batteries"

Sometime around 1990, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) came into mainstream. A NiMH battery could provide a 1.4 volt discharge. They are also considered a fairly safe battery.

Lately, Lithium Ion batteries became mainstream. Lithium Ion batteries provide a 3.7v nominal charge (4.2v after charging, which drops quickly to about 3.8v, then slowly decreases after that). They are NOT considered a safe battery because if you stray away from the recommended charge/discharge amount, you could damge the battery, possibly leading to them exploding. Because of the risk of injury and fears of lawsuits, the major companies have never released an end user battery. Instead, they pass the safety responsibilities to the companies, and sell them as "cells". Since they provide the most power, they are currently the most ideal battery for vaping. But keep in mind, ANY lithium Ion battery you use was not originally designed to be a drop in battery like what we're using them for. The built in batteries in vaping devices should be treated identical to the replaceable 18650's we use in vaping devices... the difference being, you cannot simply pop in a new one when needed.

The main "enemy" of the Lithium Ion battery is heat. Rapid discharging or charging of the battery could lead to excess heat.. damaging the battery or causing it to go into a thermal runaway. Some Lithium Ion batteries have built in safety fuses in them, but they limit the output current of the battery. Since many vapers require a high demand of power, they go with non protected cells. This leaves the mod devices to regulate the power output as to be safer. With a mechanical device, the only limitation is the coil you use in the atomizer. Lithium Ion batteries have no "memory effect".. so you can charge them at any time during it's discharge cycle. However, if the battery falls below 3.4 volts, there is a change in the battery chemistry, causing a chemical reaction inside. So never let your battery run too low. It is better to charge the battery often.. even if it hasn't reached %60 of it's charge. Do not leave your lithium ion battery in a hot car for a long time... the heat will slowly deteriorate the battery. Also, if you feel the battery start to get warm, it's better to slow down, or change the battery. Let the battery reach room temperature before you put it on the charger, or let it cool down for a while before you charge it. Most Lithium Ion batteries have an amp limit. Essentially, it is a charge/discharge limit where the battery starts to heat up. If you pass the heat limit, it will go into what's called a thermal runaway, where the battery will continue to discharge on it's own at an uncontrollable rate. this is the thermal runaway, and can lead to it exploding or venting toxic gas.

Lastly, note that everything I said also applies to ANYTHING with a Lithium Ion battery. This includes laptops, tablets, cellphones, or anything else. Lithium Ion batteries are not just for Ecigs. They have been known to go into a thermal runaway while someone is using them. It's sometimes scary to think that the device you put right next to your ear has the potential to explode. Major companies like Apple, Samsung, and even a $100,000 Tesla model S electric car is subject to the dangers of Lithium Ion batteries. Links to just a few stories.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Since battery charging was mentioned, I thought I’d share this. I always have my charger on a metal surface in case something happens. Well, I found my garage full of smoke Wednesday. I had two 18650 batteries charging and had just walked past the charger about five minutes before I found this. I won’t charge again without putting the charger in a LiPo safety bag.
    c3ce104d7e9873f64e1d891eb4c4051e.jpg

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Since battery charging was mentioned, I thought I’d share this. I always have my charger on a metal surface in case something happens. Well, I found my garage full of smoke Wednesday. I had two 18650 batteries charging and had just walked past the charger about five minutes before I found this. I won’t charge again without putting the charger in a LiPo safety bag.
    That's not good.
    This deserves a thread to discuss this.
    Would be interested, since I use a VC4.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Yikes, can you answer a couple quick questions?
    Where did you buy the batteries?
    What brand/model batteries?
    How old/estimate cycles on the batteries?
    Please inquiring minds want to know

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Yikes, can you answer a couple quick questions?
    Where did you buy the batteries?
    What brand/model batteries?
    How old/estimate cycles on the batteries?
    Please inquiring minds want to know

They were the LG HG2 batteries. I bought most of my batteries from illumn but have bought some from different vendors. I'm not sure how old they were or how many cycles on them. I probably should but don't keep track of charge cycles. I have several two battery mods and don't always use the same batteries in the same mod. I had been using them in an aegis legend kit that I'm getting ready to review before charging them. I would guess that most of my batteries are around a year old. I did buy a new set a month or so ago but these weren't it.

I also thought I might mention that I don't run anything over 40 watts on a dual battery mod normally so I don't think that I've been overloading the batteries.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Also, we have been having a discussion on the Zenith thread and how the coils refuse to DIE. (Not necessarily a bad thing) but I know I tried many things to kill my first coil (using commercial juice, turning up the wattage to inadvisable levels, etc.) I finally replaced my first (still working 1.6 coil) to try the 0.8. It also seems to want to live forever....

How long have you guys gotten out of a single coil (mls) on average, and it may be a trade secret but I am ALSO wondering how you did that (perhaps finding the fountain of youth for coils and etc.)?

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread