Status
Not open for further replies.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If you haven't already seen it, @ricks here is my thread - similar quest- good recommendations, and my findings on the tanks I tried (spoiler: the doggy is a winner!).
Here are my findings:

Winners and Losers:
Here are the winners and losers in my search for a leak free RTA with good flavor.

Losers: :evil:

Innokin Ares:
I feel bad for Phil Busardo and Dimitris Agrafiotis, who designed this tank with Innokin. It's an example of good ideas that failed. If they had done some serious beta testing, the flaws of this RTA would have been discovered and possibly corrected before its release.
The Ares produces great flavor, is easy to fill and build, but it seeps e-liquid from the AFC occasionally and from the top cap seam constantly. Any kind of leaking or seeping is an automatic fail in this contest, so both of my two Ares have been returned to the vendor for a refund. Maybe there will be a V2 in the future that fixes the issues.

SJMY Hurricane V1.3: I really wanted this tank to be a winner. It has a huge 5ml juice capacity, a big, easy to build on deck, and pumps out tons of flavor. But alas, it seeps. First from the center pin- adding an o-ring fixed it, but now it seeps from the AFC. I suspect the 2 o-rings that encircle the drop-in build deck, but don't have any spares that size.

Honorable Mention - Runner-Up: :thumb:

Savour (AKA The 3CVape x Vaping V1ck Savour 22mm MTL RTA): This little guy is a flavor powerhouse! My current wick/ build does not leak, but I have had some AFC seepage from previous builds. The other thing that keeps the Savour out of the winner's circle is that, for me, the wicking it kind of fussy on that tiny deck- getting the tails into those little holes.

Winners: :thumbs:

Siren 2 GTA by Digiflavor: This tank is everything the Ares wants to be, but it succeeds: great flavor, easy to build and it doesn't leak or seep. I had some AFC seepage initially, but replacing the bottom o-ring fixed it. This tank can sit for days without losing a drop of liquid. Mine is a 22mm, but I have two 24mm on the way.

❤️SJMY Doggystyle: Keep it simple, baby! Ever wonder why those fancy-pants RTAs have to have a bazillion parts & o-rings, along with a bazillion ways to leak? Well, doggy says they don't! The epitome of simplicity, the good doggy wants only to give you love, and like any good doggy, she never leaks or seeps in the house, in your pocket or purse. She is well built and well trained. You won't be putting any monster builds on her tiny deck, but even a 2.5mm ID coil puts out tons of flavor and vapor. If you long for simplicity, reliability and performance, the doggy doesn't put on airs, she just delivers!

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Run your finger or a paper towel around the seam between the top cap and the tank. I had two, and there was always e-liquid there.
Ran the suggested test. No leaking.
I am not questioning that yours did leak, all I am saying is mine do not leak.
I mentioned up thread fused coil screws on another popular brand. Everybody has a loser now and then.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I have been using them for about two months now.
Apparently not long enough :)

Or.... you are very skillful vaper/builder... I have dozen different tanks and manage each to leak ...not always and not very often... but such bad luck provides for me reasonable excuse to try new ones...:sneaky:

But as saying goes... better later than never...;)

Ninety-four-year-old Mrs. Hatcher showed up at her lawyer's office one Monday morning. "I want you to begin divorce proceedings," she announced.The lawyer was aghast. When he regained his composure, he said, "Mrs. Hatcher, you and your husband have been married for over seventy years. What in the world could have happened to make you want to get divorced at this stage in your life?"Mrs. Hatcher looked him squarely in the eye. She cleared her throat and said, "We wanted to wait until all the children were dead." :)

Reactions: stols001

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Or.... you are very skillful vaper/builder... I have dozen different tanks and manage each to leak ...not always and not very often... but such bad luck provides for me reasonable excuse to try new ones...:sneaky:

Ninety-four-year-old Mrs. Hatcher showed up at her lawyer's office one Monday morning. "I want you to begin divorce proceedings," she announced.The lawyer was aghast. When he regained his composure, he said, "Mrs. Hatcher, you and your husband have been married for over seventy years. What in the world could have happened to make you want to get divorced at this stage in your life?"Mrs. Hatcher looked him squarely in the eye. She cleared her throat and said, "We wanted to wait until all the children were dead." :)
I am hardly skilled. Maybe because I vape at the mega high 9.5 to 12.5 watts helps.
I too have had my share of leakers. The original Scion actually literally fell apart. It didn't leak, just collapsed. It was ugly. The N2 which I still have leaked more than once.
Guess I have hust been lucky with the Ares. About time too!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

I am hardly skilled. Maybe because I vape at the mega high 9.5 to 12.5 watts helps.
I too have had my share of leakers. The original Scion actually literally fell apart. It didn't leak, just collapsed. It was ugly. The N2 which I still have leaked more than once.
Guess I have hust been lucky with the Ares. About time too!

My personal belief is that this vape thing we do, well, it's kind of "arbitrary". Seven years of extensive "testing" leaves me with one prevailing conclusion:

Q: "Will it leak?"

A: "Flip a coin."

Whatcha gonna do? {shrug}

Reactions: bigbob2322

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Got it...
20180928_125745_2.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
ricks said:
I remember an old tank from many years ago that had threaded plastic tanks and they never had a problem. I just can't remember what they were??? Wasn't it the old Kayfuns?
Vivinova? IClear 30?
No, it was the Kayfun they were talking about. I had a Kayfun Lite which had a polycarbonate plastic tank. My first tank developed a hairline crack, probably from crossthreading it (the threads were extremely fine and easy to crossthread), and had to be replaced.

Kayfun-rep-tan-3.jpg

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
How do you like it so far? Mine hasn't made it to the US yet.
I love the size. So far it's great! The air control will shut down almost 100%. I've got it all the way open now and it's a perfect draw for me. I like it half way closed too tho. I will have to use something in the air hole to open it to refill it I'm sure.

What's the exact capacity on these. I forgot to check it with a syringe when I filled it. I always check when I get a new tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread