Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeADore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2016
Tennessee
Just stick it in there. You can debone first if you want. I like the garlic & herb ones from Walmart. After deboning I slow boil the carcass & make sure to get alk the jiuces from the container in with the carcass. It makes a fantastic soup base!

Thought I would share something my sister shared with me. She & her husband are on the board of directors for the Pasadena Strawberry Festival. Sister been involved with the Festival for about 18 years now. Directors choose the vendors every year. Old Plantation Soups & Dips is one she invites every year. Their kits foral soup are outstanding. I haven't had many of them but she's had most of them. Mom & I are big on homemade soups, stews, & casseroles. I finally placed an order & got several. All you add is the meats & usually a can of tomatoes or tamato sauce & let it simmer till done. These are good for slow cookers or Insta-pots, too. You can use rotisserie chickens or those bags of frozen grilled chicken. The chili has beans, & the gumbo is fantastic!. I really like them. Google Old Plantation Soup. The are 9.95 each, but all the herbs & spices, & beans or rice are there so it works out ok. For me, having all the herbs & spices already measured & together is great since I can't stand very long. I consider them worth it since they make enough for several meals & I can always freeze some. Add cornbread, biscuits, or french bread & you have major comfort food!

I made a pot of the Carroll Shelby's Chili yesterday & it didn't taste right. [emoji13] Finally remembered I'd forgotton to add the salt! I forgot that they don't put the little packet of salt in the kit anymore so I have to add it myself. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Great info. Thanks. I'm not much of a cook at all, but I've started throwing together a few soups, stews etc. I lean heavily toward simplicity. I'll definitely read up on the Old Plantation Soups.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Heres one that will put a smile on your face.
GDjSo0Q-e-X5gkaZqp-qAHCE3tX08rcXiNCmyqHKDI6up5iVy37arkE4MjU0Uzrl5zcM7d_SJndQna9HTsSnmbXmXAIcejdSTt3lhBxR8jWr3v0rtFzmdq0Ha6BkH_ZPlFYOUEYcJ6Ornyk1byFjwSKp2lDM0WsBB8fKgiRS5SLycRxAFkfKe0aj3tO634d7pVF5HPhLfkJIbDtZHcXptr1lWlMZBTxRM_srH9iKgUv1_dGKpsnzf9zG1PHza9HkPk2pdoxMI61pq6ikIHTlB2m4139EjNoH_u9aBEJw7ZxSbFRIwYrc9i4Do_scqaT2pMvqAi4Pzw2I28kd64zPOw7g6bHZRu0X6kpqMBqitOJTSrGDaWKV4GWJqAdA43hmN1kJmA56kRvIAXGzrf6YovWifP29MEDFOLoodbHWkkVWT2O0EezQ7DPavDUo3aSo9g175RRYmI6636pa8I-4Pp5qq1twPSkp-1RQSMDc5R2If2FZXvRcJoKsMYmsLdzm4EcYuoWPHuh_Z_1Wi6-lCdYM5VsEpDDgpNlMvQs7Kcoe3CUYi9oxUUX1MTw7yvirnkXHps_EWeFP_VnenH4oUCbBYQFNJU9egn8HkSy528GglSGXTpSue-F1z5EyBJDF-9xuvY81P7qp4SMkzzZDPuySaA=w449-h797-no

All dressed up for Santa
He's such a handsome little man!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I can remember getting to go see Santa how about you? She has outfits for every thing. That guy is going to need a walk in closet.
I remember. Just like in the movie A Christmas Story! All the Christ milk as scenes to fascinate while standing in line. The decorated store windows. It was wonderful!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Has anyone talked to Iffy. I don't recall seeing him very much lately. Maybe this new doc who took an interest in Patti is helping. I hope so. It was 11 here this morning. I read that there is supposed to be a gigantic storm going to hit most of the US in the next few days. Guess that shoots some big holes in the theory there is no climate change.
Nope. Just winter weather.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Well, I went down and paid the bail on Usain Bolt! Actually, it was for my little pup, Koko. She did what the shelter calls a "door dash". It was Wednesday evening while I was installing the Ring doorbell. She ran out while my back was turned and ran like Usain down the sidewalk and got away from me. I drove around looking for her and then when my daughter got home we did it again. It was a really cold night (low 30s) and I had no hope for her safety. I kept going out and looking for her and didn't get much sleep. Did more driving around yesterday to no avail. This morning when I got up my daughter had left her credit card on my laptop (?). After a bit, I checked my phone and she had sent me a text of Koko's picture at the local pet shelter. I went down and paid for Microchip, rabies, spay, tag with name and phone number and the kennel fee. I will go back and pick her up tomorrow afternoon.
Oh, the Ring doorbell works as advertised and is compatible with my laptop and tablet just not my phone.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well, I went down and paid the bail on Usain Bolt! Actually, it was for my little pup, Koko. She did what the shelter calls a "door dash". It was Wednesday evening while I was installing the Ring doorbell. She ran out while my back was turned and ran like Usain down the sidewalk and got away from me. I drove around looking for her and then when my daughter got home we did it again. It was a really cold night (low 30s) and I had no hope for her safety. I kept going out and looking for her and didn't get much sleep. Did more driving around yesterday to no avail. This morning when I got up my daughter had left her credit card on my laptop (?). After a bit, I checked my phone and she had sent me a text of Koko's picture at the local pet shelter. I went down and paid for Microchip, rabies, spay, tag with name and phone number and the kennel fee. I will go back and pick her up tomorrow afternoon.
Oh, the Ring doorbell works as advertised and is compatible with my laptop and tablet just not my phone.
Now you know she's a sneaky little escape artist!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Has anyone talked to Iffy. I don't recall seeing him very much lately.

I have over a baker's dozen of ongoing projects/objectives (none to do wid Christmas). Have just 'nuff time to procrastinate on each of 'em...

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

Oh no! You must have been frantic especially since it was so cold. She must have been so happy to see you!!

Did you mean the Ring doesn't work on your phone or not only your phone? Mike recently installed one and I swear it sets itself off sometimes. Twice around 2:00 a.m. it went off and all I saw was some bugs flying around later in the video. It goes off during the day with nobody there. Not even any critters. Mike finally turned off the alerts between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. It'll still record movement, but won't make the alert sound.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
OMG you must have been frantic! She's so lucky someone found her and took her to the shelter. And you're such a good dad :wub:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

Oh my ... a sad story with a happy ending. I don't think I'd have gotten any sleep that night either. Glad it worked out well.

What kind of phone do you have? One of these yet ...

s-l300.jpg

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I am going to be doing chemo.
Good Luck. What is your schedule like to have it. Ginny was on 3days in a row then 18 off, which is the normal for sclc. She didn't start feeling bad till after maybe the 6th one but everyone is different. Try not to worry. Get them to give you anti nausea meds and some Lorazapam. It is a tranq anti depressant and it seemed to help her sleep better. Eat small meals, you will notice your taste changing. She had a really hard time finding things that sounded good to eat. Chicken seems to be good. Another thing she liked was cereal but you need to keep eating and getting lots of rest. For breast I think my SIL did 1 treatment a week. And at least at her Cancer Cntr the people are really nice and just tell them if you need anything. If they are going to be doing it for awhile having a port put in my wife said was the best thing she ever did. No more getting stuck, so that's something to think about. Are they doing radiation also? You won't feel like doing much but laying around. Ginny now has to have 3 Cyberknife treatments then 10 low dose radiaion to her entire brain. But she has some time first one is the 20th. Just remember even if it doesn't sound appealing you need to eat. Oh and another thing that she ate a lot of was eggs. She really liked them and they are good for you. She's been off of it for over a month and food still doesn't taste right to her. Hang in there we'll be thinking and praying for you. No matter how it makes you feel it is helping you.

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Taxol lower dose weekly for twelve weeks, Herpecitin every three weeks for a year. Not hormone-sensitive, HER2+, so poison is the only treatment possibility. Stage 1a, 10% recurrence possibility. Not taking chances. Ginny's miracle has been a lesson for me. No radiation, since if there is any left, they have no idea where it could be.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    3mgMeniere, you are in my thoughts. You sound like a very brave soul and we are all optimistic for you to come through with flying colors.

I am going through a really rough time but it is nothing compared to the health issues of you, Ginny and some others on here so you all give me hope and inspiration to just keep trucking.

Thank you to each and every one of you.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Taxol lower dose weekly for twelve weeks, Herpecitin every three weeks for a year. Not hormone-sensitive, HER2+, so poison is the only treatment possibility. Stage 1a, 10% recurrence possibility. Not taking chances. Ginny's miracle has been a lesson for me. No radiation, since if there is any left, they have no idea where it could be.
    That sounds a lot like my SIL's. You might want to consider a port. It only takes a couple of hours to get it. But between blood tests and the chemo thats a lot of needles. You should be fine just remember you have to eat. Yep with that you never know if it will come back and where. Cathy's came back in her back after a couple years of none, but they have it controlled with Oral Chemo. She said with hers you would just start feeling good and it was time to do it all again. She is the one that informed me how important it was to eat and she was right. You have someone to drive you back and forth right? You won't feel like doing it yourself. If you get feeling crummy it lasts about 3 days or so. Ginnys was a lot more aggressive of a Chemo. Even after this long without it it still makes her not feel very good when she eats. You'll meet a lot of nice people, it gets like a close knit group, everyone is putting up with the same thing. The chairs are comfy if that is any consolation. You'll do great I'm sure of it. Oh and you are right about it being poison. Thats what it felt like to Ginny. After the first round she thought this is a piece of cake. It didn't give her any bad feeling till further a long. Get a good protein supplement also, that will help. The bad part of Chemo seems to be while it kills off the Cancer cells it gets some of the others also. They'll give you a blood test before each treatment and you need to keep your strength up. If you don't get enough nutrition the labs will comeback and they won't be able to do it. So it just delays things. Cathy really liked fish also when she was on it. It's no fun but it will be over soon.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread